IGNORED

Kirk Cameron family meeting?

urban teacher

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I always figured Kirk's theology is whatever is convenient at the moment. It seems to be hard to pin down his actual theology besides the typical anti-gay, anti-evolution stuff. 

This is probably true. Kirk does not strike me as a terribly deep thinker or someone who thinks about the finer points of theology. I don't think he received any formal education other than studio tutors when he was a minor on "Growing Pains" and once he converted to extreme evangelicalism, he probably figured he knew all he needed to know.

Candace is a harder nut to crack. My first inclination is to say that she's just as fundie as Kirk, but hides it better (she claims reading Way of the Master "cured" an eating disorder). On the other hand, Candace really wants a career in secular entertainment and is doing pretty well at it (the Full House spin-off, the View, movies on Hallmark and Lifetime), whereas Kirk seems content to only make movies for the fundie crowd. If Candace were as fundie as Kirk, then presumably starring in secular movies and TV without a discernable Christian message would be off-limits. I've also heard that Fuller House is someone risqué, compared at least to the original. Perhaps Candace is simply able to separate herself and her beliefs from her roles, which Kirk doesn't seem able to do. She could have a more diplomatic personality on-set, whereas Kirk seems to have burned his bridges with the secular entertainment world because of how difficult he was during the end of "Growing Pains."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at your links, @formergothardite and I can see where you are coming from. I admit I may have blinders on because I live very near Chan's former church, and have many good friends who attend/ed Cornerstone. Chan is well-respected by solid Christians in this larger community because he lives what he preaches. For instance, he downsized to a small house because he couldn't justify living in a large home when so many people in the world live in poverty. And he left Cornerstone when it became clear that people were starting to come to hear him rather than to hear the message about God. Chan said that when people start to confuse a preacher with God, the preacher needs to get out of the way. He dropped out of sight for a long while, moved out of the area and did various ministries behind the scenes. I really respect him for those things.

Kirk Cameron also lives nearby and attends a different church in the area - a large nondenominational church, right-leaning but not known as being particularly fundamental.

25 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

This is probably true. Kirk does not strike me as a terribly deep thinker or someone who thinks about the finer points of theology. I don't think he received any formal education other than studio tutors when he was a minor on "Growing Pains" and once he converted to extreme evangelicalism, he probably figured he knew all he needed to know.

Candace is a harder nut to crack. My first inclination is to say that she's just as fundie as Kirk, but hides it better (she claims reading Way of the Master "cured" an eating disorder). On the other hand, Candace really wants a career in secular entertainment and is doing pretty well at it (the Full House spin-off, the View, movies on Hallmark and Lifetime), whereas Kirk seems content to only make movies for the fundie crowd. If Candace were as fundie as Kirk, then presumably starring in secular movies and TV without a discernable Christian message would be off-limits. I've also heard that Fuller House is someone risqué, compared at least to the original. Perhaps Candace is simply able to separate herself and her beliefs from her roles, which Kirk doesn't seem able to do. She could have a more diplomatic personality on-set, whereas Kirk seems to have burned his bridges with the secular entertainment world because of how difficult he was during the end of "Growing Pains."

While it still does not fully say he got a great education, but him and Candance, did in fact go part time to a basic high school in CA, (Chatsworth High School to be specific). A friend was very into him when we were teens and she went to the school to check it out. I believe a few other telly show stores went to that school as well. Through another friend who had connections to the school, even early on everyone thought he was a pretentious arse, but heard she was mostly ok.

Not super helpful, but did want to say his education, was at least run through a basic school, so not just tutours.

14 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Kirk does not strike me as a terribly deep thinker or someone who thinks about the finer points of theology.

ITA. Kirk seems rather shallow and probably couldn't have a discussion about his theological beliefs. He can recite talking points about being anti-gay, anti-choice and anti-evolution, but I bet he would struggle if someone tried to debate him on those subjects. 

Candace reminds me of Miss Raquel. She wants attention for being special and godly while not  living any differently than anyone else. Candace isn't going to give up Hollywood or her bikini for God, but she sure is going to act like she is better than everyone else. 

@livinginthelight I can see why Chan appeals to people. He is a charismatic guy who claims to be radical while telling people they are bad and then saying he found the solution to Christian problems. On the surface he doesn't seem bad, but at a deeper level his teachings are very concerning. He thoughts on suffering sound a hell of a lot like what Mother Teresa spouted and that ended up really bad. He seems to have set himself up as being able to tell who is Christian and who isn't 

If he is willing to sell his soul to hook up with Kirk Cameron(who entire Christmas message was God wants you to spend tons of money on yourself) to promote Donald Trump, then I question how sincere he is with his "radical" message of love. Trump is the opposite of love. He spreads hate. 

He's not actually really, really good at brain surgery. Not only was he not the first to separate conjoined twins, most of the twins he operated on had devastating neurological outcomes. He had a reputation for being willing to operate when no one else would, when intervening was likely to do greater harm than doing nothing.  I suspect that in order to do cutting-edge surgery, such as separating conjoined twins, it helps to be a sociopath, because then you don't care if your patients die or suffer terribly as a result of your work.

Interesting. I'd like to read more. Could you tell me what the source is for this?

Archived