IGNORED

Kirk Cameron family meeting?

urban teacher

My coworkers all went. I'm dying to hear their reviews tomorrow! (And I'll be sure to report back.) 

They kept asking me to go, but I was busy vacuuming under my couch cushions and scrubbing the grout in my shower. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, PopRox said:

An evening of prayer and worship sounds good...but I'd rather go to my Episcopal church and listen to an actual priest rather than Banana-Man Mike Seaver.

Speaking of, I can't believe he didn't drag Ray Comfort into this one considering he and Kirk Cameron are like BBFIJ best friends forever in jesus. Lol

It was billed as non-partisan, though the presence of Ben Carson causes me to question the billing. I do like Francis Chan though. And America sure does need prayer. If it truly is non-partisan, I would consider going. I like the idea of people from different sides of the aisle coming together in prayer.

@Scribber I'm looking forward to hearing the report! And I LOVE your picture, BTW :pb_biggrin:

On 10/18/2016 at 4:40 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

I remember when he first came on the scene and I had a little glimmer of hope that he'd be one of those "I don't agree with you, but at least you're a smart, halfway rational guy" Republicans, since dude's this super-famous brain surgeon, but...well, look how that turned out. Maybe he's one of those people who's just only good at one very specific thing. Not a savant, but maybe something close to that. He's really, really good at brain surgery, but he just doesn't have room in his brain for anything else.

He's not actually really, really good at brain surgery. Not only was he not the first to separate conjoined twins, most of the twins he operated on had devastating neurological outcomes. He had a reputation for being willing to operate when no one else would, when intervening was likely to do greater harm than doing nothing.  I suspect that in order to do cutting-edge surgery, such as separating conjoined twins, it helps to be a sociopath, because then you don't care if your patients die or suffer terribly as a result of your work.

On 10/17/2016 at 8:09 PM, Peas n carrots said:

I'm sure I could get a group of friends to go but it would be more of a Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment lol

OMG this would be the perfect event to go with you!!!!:)

There's never been a more exciting time in America to be a Christian?  Well, sucks for all the Christians who lived in the boring times :P

'Miss Clara' from the movie WAR ROOM

Because sassy-old-black Christian ladies are pretty much all the same so why even use the actress' real name? 

Here's a review from Stoned Gremlin Productions for Revive Us.  (The one on the write also does the Cinema Snob series.)

Whenever Ben Carson is on tv, I think of Robert Guillaume.  I may be the only one who makes this connection.

For those of you who aren't quite as old as me.

9 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Here's a review from Stoned Gremlin Productions for Revive Us.  (The one on the write also does the Cinema Snob series.)

It would be hysterical to see a huge wave crash ol' Kirk off his rock---now, that would filmworthy.

On 10/19/2016 at 2:16 AM, livinginthelight said:

I do like Francis Chan though.

I was once trapped in a waiting room with only a golf digest and his book Crazy Love. I skimmed it and the part I read he was talking about how he didn't look at the Bible in context of when or how it is was written, which is the worst way to study the Bible.  And he seemed to  pick and choose verses to fit his preconceived ideas. And then he told a story that totally wasn't in the Bible. but he claimed was, which made me wonder why no one caught on that he apparently doesn't know the Bible that well. 

Anyway, the fact that this guy is involved with Kirk Cameron shows what sort of a person he really is. I think Kirk is trying desperately to remain relevant. He needs to come out with another Christmas movie because that thing was priceless in the snark department. 

@formergothardite, I've read Crazy Love and didn't get that impression of it at all. I personally found it very challenging in the area of my willingness to step out in faith and believe God's promises. Do you remember which story he claimed was in the Bible but actually wasn't? I know the Bible pretty well and didn't notice anything like that.

I do agree that the association with Kirk Cameron is questionable. But finding common ground seems to me to be a biblical value, so I wouldn't dismiss Chan based on that.

57 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

@formergothardite, I've read Crazy Love and didn't get that impression of it at all. I personally found it very challenging in the area of my willingness to step out in faith and believe God's promises. Do you remember which story he claimed was in the Bible but actually wasn't? I know the Bible pretty well and didn't notice anything like that.

I do agree that the association with Kirk Cameron is questionable. But finding common ground seems to me to be a biblical value, so I wouldn't dismiss Chan based on that.

Granted I was skimming the book, but my general impression was that he didn't pay a lot of attention to putting things in context and had a tendency to leave off verses that came before or after would change the meaning of the verse he quoted. I looked on Amazon and this guy does a very good job talking about the issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RIM9VBTIDU7ON/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1434705943

I actually do remember what he said because it was just a line or so and it jumped out at me because it seemed off. He wrote something about how the Israelites were terrified when God passed by their camp that they hid and wouldn't even look at the back of Him. That isn't true at all. They looked to God each day as a pillar of cloud and at night as a pillar of fire. Moses was the one who saw the back of God. I actually went home and looked it up after reading that to see if I was remembering the Bible story wrong. 

Finding common ground where you end up lending support horrible people and horrible beliefs should not be a Christian value. That Kirk Cameron event was nothing more than telling people to vote for Trump all while not actually coming out and saying it. So yes, he should be dismissed for associating with an event like this. 

And while searching I came found this and Francis Chan seems like he is a whole lot on the asshole side and that he would fit right in with Lori and Ken Alexander who don't give a fuck about if you are miserable and promise the magic fix to your marriage it you just follow the steps to be "good Christians". 

I looked at guy this week and said ‘honestly, I really don’t care that you and your wife aren’t getting along.  That stuff doesn’t matter to me.  So what, you fight for the next 5-10 years.  This life is so short.  I am worried about what comes after that.  The bigger problem here is that neither of you have submitted yourself to the kingship of Jesus Christ.  Neither of you look at him and say he is Lord.  Because the truth is that if you said we will do whatever Jesus wants us to do, your not going to fight.

https://threestoreyabbey.wordpress.com/2011/04/30/whats-wrong-with-francis-chan/

On 10/23/2016 at 5:31 PM, FloraKitty35 said:

I really enjoyed the Cinema Snob reviews of the Pure Flix and other Christian movies! Probably many FJers would, too. 

Does anyone know where Kirk falls on the fundie spectrum? I tried looking at his website to see what church he goes to or what denomination or theological position he suppirts, but it only contained ads for Revive Us and his poorly written culture war screeds.

5 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Does anyone know where Kirk falls on the fundie spectrum? I tried looking at his website to see what church he goes to or what denomination or theological position he suppirts, but it only contained ads for Revive Us and his poorly written culture war screeds.

He's very fundie. For example, he won't kiss anyone other than his wife even when acting.

19 hours ago, December said:

I really enjoyed the Cinema Snob reviews of the Pure Flix and other Christian movies! Probably many FJers would, too. 

My favorite was his final review of Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas ^^ My sides hurt really bad from laughing by the end. I love Brad.

41 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

He's very fundie. For example, he won't kiss anyone other than his wife even when acting.

I understand that, but I want to know what his theology and denominational affiliations are, not just his "convictions" or who he hangs out with. Kirk could be "nondenominational" but that in and of itself is a denomination. 

I always figured Kirk's theology is whatever is convenient at the moment. It seems to be hard to pin down his actual theology besides the typical anti-gay, anti-evolution stuff. 

14 minutes ago, Granwych said:

And I want to know why Candace Cameron Bure is still on the View...

That is her mission field! She is doing God's work! 

The more I look into Francis Chan the more icky he seems. I can see why he would have no issue hooking up with Kirk Cameron. Chan seems to market himself as this "radical" preacher who knows the answer to why people leave the church. As someone who left the church and knows lots of non-ATI people who left the church, I would say Chan doesn't have a clue. Parents selling all their possessions and waiting for God to make a miracle seems like a pretty good way to ensure that your kids grow up and desire the stability of a steady income. He can hook up with Gil Bates to teach people how to not make your children your priority.

I just love it when Whoopi deflates anyone's balloon on the View, especially Candace's.  I vote that they have Kirk on the show and let Whoopi have at him.

Archived