IGNORED

Jill, Derick, Israel: Back In Normal Murica (For Now) - Part 20

samurai_sarah

It's been over a decade since I've been finished with college. But I feel like we used to call any paper a "research paper" in high school and undergrad.  Or maybe we just said we had a "paper" to write.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

It's been over a decade since I've been finished with college. But I feel like we used to call any paper a "research paper" in high school and undergrad.  Or maybe we just said we had a "paper" to write.

I think we are a little more loose with the term research paper. When I was in HS it meant something totally different from what it means to my high schoolers now. 

I doubt there are any sources being used at all. My suspicion is that it's actually a personal essay about some favorite book of the New Testament. "Y'all Second Corinthians is, like, so soooper cool. It's like, totally, like awesomesauce." (Hearts dotting all the I's of course.)

I'm from the South as well and never heard anyone call something with no sources a research paper, maybe a paper, but usually an essay. 

And yes, I realize I'm being way too much of a PITA semantic about this, but the Duggars' complete failure to educate their children in any meaningful way is a sore subject for me and Jill and her "research paper" really drove that home for some reason. I'll shut up now.

So we essentially have no clue what the "research paper" is about, how many sources she needed to use, or how long it is. We hate her and think she's a stupid and uneducated little lying braggart twit who doesn't care about learning. So we make fun of her when she seemingly applies herself to doing something at least remotely academic, especially compared to what she likely grew up with in her homeschooling life. Makes sense. 

1 hour ago, missegeno said:

Yup, this one. I am pretty sure that it came out before Izzy's birth.

Put me down with the "this photo was published after izzy's birth" camp as well.  

I still remember how utterly smug Jessa looked in it, and how uncomfortable Jill looked.

Just now, Karma said:

Put me down with the "this photo was published after izzy's birth" camp as well.  

I still remember how utterly smug Jessa looked in it, and how uncomfortable Jill looked.

I am also in that camp because I lurked during Jill's lovely never ending birth party and I don't remember in any of the craziness there being any facts of Jessa being pregnant! Loads of speculation. 

1 hour ago, missegeno said:

Yup, this one. I am pretty sure that it came out before Izzy's birth.

@Carm_88and @Karmatoo:

I posted upthread about this. Anna shared it via Instagram the day that Benessa announced the pregnancy - April 21, more than two weeks after Izzy was born. That is the first time I can find it popping up. Pickles first had it on Facebook that same day too.

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

@Carm_88and @Karmatoo:

I posted upthread about this. Anna shared it via Instagram the day that Benessa announced the pregnancy - April 21, more than two weeks after Izzy was born. That is the first time I can find it popping up. Pickles first had it on Facebook that same day too.

I thought so! I remember it being like, oh no not again. We're just winding down after Jill and now the Jessa speculation begins. 

Someone should ask her on her insta: how long her paper was, how many sources, and what was the topic

She might answer.. 

For what it's worth, in my school parlance, a research paper required citing multiple scholarly sources - i.e. you had to actually research it. There wouldn't necessarily be a set length that would constitute the general category of a research paper (the specific length would be set by the teacher/professor) but in general, I found it hard to work all the necessary information and citations into less than 15-20 pages.

Anything that did not require research with multiple citations and/or was intended to be more of an opinion piece would be called an essay.

I won't fault Jill on her verbiage with regards to the paper she wrote for her Bible class. 

How many papers, of any length, do you think MAD assigned to Jill at the SOTDRT?

Seriously, probably none. Who wants to read through the same drivel on some Bible verse or Waiting for Prince Charming?

Ain't no mama having time for that Xs a dozen + kids.

So has it been discussed yet that JIlly appears to be a bridesmaid for Dan Dillard's wedding? I wonder if she'll wear a modified version of the rest of the girls dresses or if DD's fiance has a taste for modesty. I can't wait to see what happens at that wedding. 

There has been discussion, @Mela99, but I don't think it's been confirmed that she is a bridesmaid.  She might have just been included in the bachelorette activities.  Either way it's nice of her SIL to be to have included her, and I agree, I'm interested to see whether Jill would insist on her dress being more modest if she is a bridesmaid.  Dan's fiancée wears singlets and jeans, so she might want something less modest than Jill would like.

1 hour ago, Mela99 said:

So has it been discussed yet that JIlly appears to be a bridesmaid for Dan Dillard's wedding? I wonder if she'll wear a modified version of the rest of the girls dresses or if DD's fiance has a taste for modesty. I can't wait to see what happens at that wedding. 

If DD's fiancee was letting all of the girls choose their own dress and Jill wore something that fit her own standards it wouldn't be so bad. But if they were all wearing the same dress and she stuck out like a sore thumb...I'd feel embarrassed for her. 

@Carm_88 I would tend to feel the same way, but from what I have seen on the show, Jill seems quite judgemental and like a pretty big attention whore, so I could well imagine her nibs thinking that an extra modest bridesmaid dress was some sort of testimony or something that highlighted her superior uber Christan-ness compared to the other 'immodest/less righteous Jezebel bridesmaids...

That said, I'm not going to snark on anyone for trying to learn. I doubt that any paper Jill writes would be equal to a college level research paper in terms of rigour, but it's better than sitting around doing her hair and taking selfies. 

1 minute ago, Kittikatz said:

@Carm_88 I would tend to feel the same way, but from what I have seen on the show, Jill seems quite judgemental and like a pretty big attention whore, so I could well imagine her nibs thinking that an extra modest bridesmaid dress was some sort of testimony or something that highlighted her superior uber Christan-ness compared to the other 'immodest/less righteous Jezebel bridesmaids...

She is for sure but I would still feel bad. She wouldn't! She would think it was the best thing ever but I would see her looking dumpy looking and I would feel bad. 

IMO if she did research and wrote a paper it counts as a research paper. It's possible what she actually did was a personal essay or close reading, but even if she wrote a five-paragraph essay like we did in grade 5 it's probably the first time she's actually had to formulate an opinion and write an argument, so I can't snark on her too badly for potentially calling it by the wrong name.

It's also possible that it's not really what we would consider to be a research paper but her Bible Study teacher used that term and she's parroting it. Considering the other teachers she's had in her life I wouldn't expect her to realise that, no, her Bible Study teacher misapplied the term and she's really writing a persuasive essay.

4 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I would be surprised if she is a bridesmaid.

I'll second being surprised if Jill is in the bridal party...

There's a pic on Deena's Instagram from her bachelorette party and it's adorable and posed down a bowling alley and Jill is nowhere in it (although she shows up in the other bachelorette party pictures). I'm surmising that pic is of her bridal party, since it features Deena's sister and mentions one missing friend in the caption as well, while the other bachelorette party pics mention two missing friends. 

I just have to say that Dan and Deena are such a cute couple. 

Aww, Dan is so cute on his insta,  you can tell he definitely enjoys life more than Derek sadly. Deena is just too adorable and a girl after my own heart with Jeggings. I could live in jeggings.

As for the bridal party, hmm I wonder if Jill will allow Derek and she to stay for the after party. Remember how judge-y she looked in the video when the bride and her father were doing all the silly dances. Something tells me Dan/Deena could have something simular planned.

I saw an article on Facebook the other day about Jill and Derick believing this is the 'end of times'. Of course, now I can't find the article to link to. Anyone else see it?

I don't see any reason Jill would be a bridesmaid.  She isn't Dan's sister, she is his brother's wife. I doubt Dan's fiancée even knows Jill that well seeing as they have been out of the country for so long. I think it is nice she was invited to the party but there is no reason she has to be in the wedding. I do think it is good for Jill to go to events with non-fundy women alone, instead of with a sibling or Derrick, that does not involve religion. 

42 minutes ago, EmmyJay said:

I saw an article on Facebook the other day about Jill and Derick believing this is the 'end of times'. Of course, now I can't find the article to link to. Anyone else see it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw it - and I refused to re=read it

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived