IGNORED

Lori Alexander, 12: Transformed, But We Can't Tell

Since I know she reads here in spite of Ken's command that she not ... Lori? A little word of advice: STOP responding to reviewers. People are perfectly capable of seeing whether a book is being reviewed by someone who actually bought it or not -- and then weighting those reviews appropriately. They are also capable of going to your blog and reading for themselves. 

Your book should be able to stand on its own in spite of the negative criticism, and if it can't, that's not the fault of the reviewers.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

I don't think I've seen another instance on Amazon where an author goes full bore in the comments defending their work. Maybe I've missed it, but in all the book reviews I've read, Lori seems not to understand her response is out of the ordinary.

Authors responding to reviews does happen, but it's wrong enough and rare enough that when it does people sure do talk about it. Anne Rice responding to a negative Amazon review was a big deal. You can read about it here:  http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?5727-Ann-Rice-s-response-to-her-reviewers

Here's a Guardian article about several authors who have responded to reviews in various ways:  https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2011/mar/30/jacqueline-howett-bad-review

And here's a recent discussion about an incident on Goodreads:  http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?307577-Author-meltdown-leads-to-bad-reviews

Responding usually backfires badly and the phenomenon of doing so is often referred to generally as the "Author's Big Mistake."

I'm not surprised that Lori and/or Ken is responding to negative reviews. She will probably stop, but I would love it if some Christian or book blogger reviewed Lori's blog and gave it a negative review.

Lori has a post up today, titled "JESUS MAKES US CONTENT AND HAPPY." Content and happy are feelings, right?

Yet just a short while ago, she posted one of her handwritten tirades on her FB page. The highlighting is mine. Notice that she says the bible says nothing about our feelings. Does that, then, invalidate today's blog post? Does she even recognize that she has contradicted herself?

LAjesuscalling.jpg

This latest note is yet another complaint about how other women are getting the attention that she wants. I think she just wants to make people irked enough that she goes viral again so she can get people to buy her book.

Authors responding to reviews does happen, but it's wrong enough and rare enough that when it does people sure do talk about it. Anne Rice responding to a negative Amazon review was a big deal. You can read about it here:  http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?5727-Ann-Rice-s-response-to-her-reviewers
Here's a Guardian article about several authors who have responded to reviews in various ways:  https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2011/mar/30/jacqueline-howett-bad-review
And here's a recent discussion about an incident on Goodreads:  http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?307577-Author-meltdown-leads-to-bad-reviews
Responding usually backfires badly and the phenomenon of doing so is often referred to generally as the "Author's Big Mistake."

My favorite is the author in the third post who says, "You're immoral for defending this 1 star review. [...] Someone that leaves 1 star reviews on someone's work who didn't wrong them, who they've never met, that's IS THE MEASURE OF A BAD PERSON."

I think he and Lori would get along splendidly!

What fascinating reads. Thanks, Petronella.

2 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

My favorite is the author in the third post who says, "You're immoral for defending this 1 star review. [...] Someone that leaves 1 star reviews on someone's work who didn't wrong them, who they've never met, that's IS THE MEASURE OF A BAD PERSON."

I think he and Lori would get along splendidly!

What fascinating reads. Thanks, Petronella.

Glad to be of service :-)

I've read all of those links ages ago, and after I posted them last night I got caught up in reading the third one all over again. The Goodreads comments are astonishing! Besides the one you quoted, my favorite is: "I'm not embarrassed at all. And all of you who are taking [the reviewers]'s side, what you're doing in the bigger picture is waging war on the consciousness of humanity. The end."

Wow.

I think what Lori doesn't understand (well, among the many things her pea brain can't understand) is that the Amazon reviews are not the appropriate place for her to defend her work. That section is solely for consumers to share their experiences. I'm a fairly active Amazon reviewer, and the only times I've ever had a response to a negative review have been the companies/sellers requesting me to contact their customer service directly to fix a problem. NEVER have any of them argued with me to tell me my experience wasn't accurate or that I just "misunderstood" whatever it was. 

That said: Has anyone reviewed this hot mess on GoodReads? 

I think what Lori doesn't understand (well, among the many things her pea brain can't understand) is that the Amazon reviews are not the appropriate place for her to defend her work. That section is solely for consumers to share their experiences. I'm a fairly active Amazon reviewer, and the only times I've ever had a response to a negative review have been the companies/sellers requesting me to contact their customer service directly to fix a problem. NEVER have any of them argued with me to tell me my experience wasn't accurate or that I just "misunderstood" whatever it was. 
That said: Has anyone reviewed this hot mess on GoodReads? 

I just searched for it on GR and all I could find was a bunch of gender-swap erotica (who knew that was a thing?).

If I search Lori's name I get a lot of medical publications from a sinful female doctor.

I don't think Lori knows she needs to put the book on GR.

2 minutes ago, alba said:

I just searched for it on GR and all I could find was a bunch of gender-swap erotica (who knew that was a thing?).

If I search Lori's name I get a lot of medical publications from a sinful female doctor.

I don't think Lori knows she needs to put the book on GR.

I just took care of that for her. :)
https://www.goodreads.com/review/new/32666506-the-power-of-a-transformed-wife

ETA: It will probably take a few minutes to appear. 

17 minutes ago, polecat said:

I just took care of that for her. :)
https://www.goodreads.com/review/new/32666506-the-power-of-a-transformed-wife

ETA: It will probably take a few minutes to appear. 

It appears to have become linked to a different Lori Alexander, who writes children's books. Is it possible for you to fix that, or will that author or Lori have to do it?

More word salad from Lori today.  Maybe her book editor needs to take a look at her blog posts too.

Along with her usual shortsightedness, her sentences are just...wrong.  Anyway, the highlights?

The only reason that a woman can participate now in war, protect herself and even provide for herself and family is because of technology.

Is she serious?  Really?

It is men who have built all of the big, heavy things in our world, conquered nations, and committed the greater crimes.

The real trump card?  They commit greater crimes! :GRONDE:

28 minutes ago, Petronella said:

It appears to have become linked to a different Lori Alexander, who writes children's books. Is it possible for you to fix that, or will that author or Lori have to do it?

I just entered her name. The other author may be able to fix it -- I'm not sure. That author was coming up linked to the book on Amazon, too, but either she or our Monstrous Lori fixed it there.

The only reason that a woman can participate now in war, protect herself and even provide for herself and family is because of technology. It is technology that equalizes the playing field with men in many ways, not that she can compare to a man’s physical characteristics or match the effects of testosterone that courses through his body.

Technology such as Kevlar for bullet proof vests? Thank you, Stephanie Kwolek! Or flares (Martha Coston)? Medical syringes (Letitia Geer)? Wireless transmission like in GPS's (HEDY FUCKIN LAMAR)?

And maybe it's just me, but the tone of these sentences just rubs me the wrong way. It sounds as if she is saying that since women have bullet proof vests in combat, this proves that women are weaker? Does she not know that men wear them too? 

What would a day be without Lori reminding the internet that her post went viral :pb_rollseyes:

Lori Sep. 2016

We, as godly Christian women, should do nothing to draw attention to ourselves

Lori today:

The Transformed Wife

19 mins · 

The 34,000 comments on my viral post haven't changed my mind a bit!

My post went haywire.  Please feel free to delete it.  No clue why the link isn't posting.  It's on FB.

Haha. @Koala, I actually thought you posted it three times deliberately! You know, to drive the point home that her post went viral.  I thought it was hilarious!

2 minutes ago, Koala said:

Nooooo!!!!!  Did it post 3 times?  It's just blank for me.  :pb_lol:

That's so odd. I'm sure a mod will be along soon. But your post is there, at least, and definitely not blank!

8 minutes ago, Koala said:

Nooooo!!!!!  Did it post 3 times?  It's just blank for me.  :pb_lol:

Has fixed for youuuu <3

2 hours ago, TeddyBonkers said:

It is technology that equalizes the playing field with men in many ways, not that she can compare to a man’s physical characteristics or match the effects of testosterone that courses through his body.

The testosterone ya'll.  The testosterone that courses! through his body!!!  I think all this internet back and forth has our girl a little randy.  (sorry Lori, but I knew plenty of female Marines that did as much, in some cases more, than their male counterparts.  A willie does not a strong person make.)  

Do we have swooning emoji???  :my_blush:  

Just now, Koala said:

Thank you!!!!  Did it just post a copy of her notebook doodles 3x?

It did...but it was weird because it originally hadn't. I saw when you first posted it and there was only one. And then there were three. It was very odd. I'll keep an eye out to see if it happens elsewhere on the forum.

34 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

The testosterone ya'll.  The testosterone that courses! through his body!!!  I think all this internet back and forth has our girl a little randy.  (sorry Lori, but I knew plenty of female Marines that did as much, in some cases more, than their male counterparts.  A willie does not a strong person make.)  

Do we have swooning emoji???  :my_blush:  

Ohhh, sounds like Ken might be in for eleven minutes and lube tonight! 

The only reason that a woman can participate now in war, protect herself andeven provide for herself and family is because of technology.

I bet Lori never heard about (in no particular order) Telesilla of Argo, Artemisia of Caria, Queen Zenobia of Palmyra, the Trung sisters of Vietnam, Boudicca, Ethelfleda, Jeanne d'Arc, Marzia Ordelaffi, Caterina Sforza, Laskarina Bouboulina, Dahomey's amazons, Wang Cong'er and many many others, all of them fought in battles and lived before the 19th century. In every culture, in every historical era and in every latitude some women distinguished themselves for their prowess in battle and their leadership skills. And the ones whose names are remembered are only those who managed to lead and emerge above women and men alike. Historians in the last decades have demonstrated (on the basis of lots of evidence) that on the battlegrounds around the world there were many more women than was previously thought. For example recent osteologic analysis on buried remains demonstrated that at least a third of the Norse warriors that invaded England in 865 dc were actually women.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-0254.2011.00323.x/abstract

Other burials of Sarmatian warrior women lived 600 BC ca were found in Russia 

archive.archaeology.org/9701/abstracts/sarmatians.html

I could go on, but I don't think that Lori's mind can be swayed by something like actual proof.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived