IGNORED

Lori Alexander, 12: Transformed, But We Can't Tell

You are so right, (reader). If we were to go into another Depression, most careers would be useless today. Learning the survival skills of farming, gardening, canning, sewing, taking care of animals for food, and all the other skills women of past generations were very familiar are not familiar to us today at all.

(I'm behind on my Lori reading. CURSE YOU COLLEGE COURSES!)

This is a comment from Lori to (reader) on "The Waste of a College Education" found here: https://thetransformedwife.com/the-waste-of-a-college-education/

Has Lori ever farmed, gardened, canned, sewed, or taken care of animals for food? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no. Given the way she treats her cat, I doubt she'd do well with cattle. *spoiler alert: cows will kick you back*

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, TeddyBonkers said:

(I'm behind on my Lori reading. CURSE YOU COLLEGE COURSES!)

This is a comment from Lori to (reader) on "The Waste of a College Education" found here: https://thetransformedwife.com/the-waste-of-a-college-education/

Has Lori ever farmed, gardened, canned, sewed, or taken care of animals for food? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no. Given the way she treats her cat, I doubt she'd do well with cattle. *spoiler alert: cows will kick you back*

Ugh, that post. I'd pay good money to witness Lori spend one day doing the average duties of a farmer's wife in the 1930s. Lori couldn't even handle caring for her own children and cleaning her own suburban home, let alone the sun up to sun down work AND childcare AND household responsibilities, on top of nursing and frequent pregnancies. And that's just when it's not planting or harvest time. It's insulting to see her recommend all this work for other people while she sat back and had a nanny because she needed to get her sleep. 

3) teaching young adults to waste time and become a burden, disengaging them from the real work-a-day world,

71 percent of college students work. 1 in 5 work more than 35 hours a week. The kids I see at my school are killing themselves to get an education and support themselves without a ton of student loans.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-students-working-a-lot-in-college/

4) it delays marriage and the seriousness of family, 

What does delaying the seriousness of the family mean? This may be my fancy feminist college education talking, but that doesn't make a damn bit of sense. Methinks Dave needs to go back to college and learn how to write a proper sentence.

She's an idiot. She should research all the amazing inventions and advances made by college-educated woman before disparaging education. In fact, she should do research on most subjects before writing ridiculous essays. Why do people bring religion into every possible subject and argue religion as a reason for any old stupid idea?

Why preach is now when she sent one of her daughters to college? She is just spouting this to justify why out of her two daughters--- one did not go to college. A daughter who doesn't go to college in her ritzy Carlsbad CA community is looked at like an alien from outer space and it's seen as the fault of the parents in not encouraging them.

From the blog. Interesting, how Ken is pushing "solid Christian colleges" and Lori brings up BIOLA. IIRC, Cassi was attending BIOLA for a couple of years and transferred to a state school because Ken didn't want to pay the expensive tuition.

Ken says:

November 30, 2016 at 12:02 pm

The issue of college like many issues is one that the person needs to seek the Lord’s will about. I would say that a Christian woman who is single can and perhaps should stay in school and improving herself, BUT she must understand that if she is to go to college she must avoid the ones that are left-wing brain-washing factories. Junior colleges can be a better place to sidestep the leftist and sinful teachings, but even in these schools our kids found some real horrifying things thrown at them in the name of education. Lori does well to expose the pitfalls of higher education, but each one must seek the Lord as we all step around the mud and filth of this culture in making a true Christian life for ourselves and our community. A solid Christian college is the way to go if you are headed to college after getting your GE’s done at the city college.

Lori Alexander says:

November 30, 2016 at 2:40 pm

BIOLA is one of the best. Dennis Prager said there is just a handful of them left but even the few, unfortunately, are full of feminists who want careers over child bearing. Hopefully, if they chose the route of college, they will be learning from godly, older women.

47 minutes ago, lilwriter85 said:

Hopefully, if they chose the route of college, they will be learning from godly, older women.

The only attribute that Lori can claim is being older.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: what about places like Clown College and Pensacola? Erin got married before she left Clown. And I know it's a different branch of Christianity so probably wrong/ungodly/whatever, but BYU in Utah has a lot of married students (married when they graduate.) Although it seems they're almost encouraged to marry while there. 

Remember last week when I mentioned she was leaving up some really vulgar comments (probably in an attempt to go viral)?

It was noticed.

Reader:

This is an admission of your own weakness to resist. Which is evident when I see you've left the vulgarity in the comment sections, yet you delete people who make Biblical arguments against you. It's weakness. You're not teachable or humble. I cannot tolerate that.

And, as if to prove her point, Lori deleted her post.

Unfortunately for her, Jilly noticed. :evil-laugh:

Lori, did you delete a post here? I thought there was another post. 

Why yes Jilly, there was another post, but what was Lori going to say?  She left the vulgar comments because she wanted that post to go VIRAL?  You know she went VIRAL, right? Because she did.  She had a post go VIRAL.   (ps- She'll probably delete your comment too)

And right on queue, Lori mentions her viral post.  Today's post:

Studies have proven that I was right! I guess I should say that God is right. Remember that post on housework of mine that went viral because so many women can’t fathom doing all of the housework?

You guys remember that she went VIRAL, right?  She God was right.  That's why she God went VIRAL! 

Gah, can you imagine how many ways Lori finds to work that into conversation?  Everyone from grocery store clerks, to her next door neighbor's cousin probably knows that Lori went VIRAL.  Her Christmas cards will probably be signed- Lori IWENTVIRAL Alexander.  

Well, a new study found something very interesting. “They found that women who clean, hoover and do the laundry are likely to live almost three years longer. But men can breathe a sigh of relief – housework appears to have little effect on them. They are better off in the garden, according to research by Dutch academics.”

“The team from University Medical Centre Rotterdam found that a 55-year-old woman who does little around the house is likely to live to see her 83rd birthday – but that those who keep on top of the housework should live on to the age of 86.” Okay, I have to admit, as soon as I read this, I spent an hour doing housework! 

She spent an hour doing housework!  Her computer AND her maid got a break.  Double win!

Well, I am off to the grocery, but there are your 2 big newsflashes for the day:

Lori did housework, but first she went VIRAL! :roll:

35 minutes ago, Koala said:

And, as if to prove her point, Lori deleted her post.

Unfortunately for her, Jilly noticed. :evil-laugh:

Why yes Jilly, there was another post, but what was Lori going to say?  She left the vulgar comments because she wanted that post to go VIRAL?  You know she went VIRAL, right? Because she did.  She had a post go VIRAL.   (ps- She'll probably delete your comment too)

And right on queue, Lori mentions her viral post.  Today's post:

You guys remember that she went VIRAL, right?  She God was right.  That's why she God went VIRAL! 

Gah, can you imagine how many ways Lori finds to work that into conversation?  Everyone from grocery store clerks, to her next door neighbor's cousin probably knows that Lori went VIRAL.  Her Christmas cards will probably be signed- Lori IWENTVIRAL Alexander.  

She spent an hour doing housework!  Her computer AND her maid got a break.  Double win!

Well, I am off to the grocery, but there are your 2 big newsflashes for the day:

Lori did housework, but first she went VIRAL! :roll:

Quote from Lori:  

Well, a new study found something very interesting. “They found that women who clean, hoover and do the laundry are likely to live almost three years longer. But men can breathe a sigh of relief – housework appears to have little effect on them. They are better off in the garden, according to research by Dutch academics.”

“The team from University Medical Centre Rotterdam found that a 55-year-old woman who does little around the house is likely to live to see her 83rd birthday – but that those who keep on top of the housework should live on to the age of 86.” Okay, I have to admit, as soon as I read this, I spent an hour doing housework! 

Notice she didn't say she spent an extra hour on housework, just that she did housework for an hour.  Maybe she'll need a week to recover from the experience.

Women may live longer if they do all that housework, but they'll spend those three extra years doing...housework.  :my_dodgy:

I'm a bra burning, take to the streets feminist but I'm a stay at home mom and don't ever want to work again.  Not all feminists work. And not all that do work but career over family. 

In her post about her dying mom she mention the bible says we are only suppose to live to 70, maybe 80. This study is talking about living past 80, how is this biblical?!! 

She is saying she is eager to do housework now so she can live longer than the bible commands. And why does she just now eagerly to just jump into housework after a worldly study when all along she know she was right (or God was right as she puts it) about doing housework. Its like the study has more authority to her than her own God. 

Notice Lori uses the verb "hoover", rather than vacuum.  No one says that anymore,  Hoover (verb to vacuum) was used when Hoover (company) was the primary vacuum cleaner manufacturer.

How old is that damn study anyway?  

And going back to Lori reposting Laine's letters.  What really chaps my lips about Lori pushing this extreme frugal lifestyle is that she's encouraging women to live in poverty as if it is more godly than having a job to help your husband raise the family's standard of living, 

Laine brags in her letters that they never had dental insurance, but hey that's A-OK because they ate healthy and used herbs.  No amount of health eating and herbs will prevent a tooth dying and needing a root canal.

She also brags that they went for quite a while without running hot water, that they had to heat water to bathe and wash dishes.  Laine brags her house has holes in the floor and ripped carpet with holes she covers with throw rugs.  She says the house is hot, hot in the summer and cold in the winter due to poor insulation and she keeps 2 rooms warm with a kerosene heater and warms the living room with the fireplace.

And really big whoop -- Laine and her husband paid off their house.  That's what people with a mortgage do.  It's required by the banks. Although I gather that she's bragging that the extreme frugality allowed them to pay it off faster.

Poverty and extreme frugality are not an Olympic competitive sport.

The silhouette -- I think it's a woman dressed in heathen/harlot clothes -- tight pants (you can see the belt buckle and the ripples against her back thighs) and some kind of leather jacket or open leather vest that has parts (collars, etc) that stick out and make a silhouette nonsensical.  The 'goiter' and stuff on her upper back I believe is a scarf with the loose ends behind her.

The bottom line is - this is a horribly poor choice of image to turn into a silhouette.

And if I may use that as a launching pad for my personal pet peeve diatribe -- I take this as just more of what I see Lori and Ken doing often -- putting out an attempted message that doesn't communicate what they want it to communicate.  But instead of assessing their message critically and then editing or adjusting so they are, you know, actually getting across what they mean to, they leave it (probably not even giving it the critical-eye once-over in the first place) and simply assume that everyone should think/react in the same way that they do.

Fundie beliefs aside (because not only fundies do this, sadly) -- this is just.not.how.communication.works.  The whole point of communication is recognizing that we DON'T all have the exact same brain, the same history of experiences, and the same reactions.  We don't all learn in the same way.  We don't all process our experiences in the same way.  So if you want to get a message across, you need to take into consideration how your readers/listeners will see/hear your words, and adjust your presentation accordingly.  Sometimes you can speak in shorthand and be understood.  Other times you need to spell things out clearly and use lots of examples and analogies.  It is the communicator's job, using brains and feedback, to determine what kind of communication is needed!

I do think this problem is a big part of why Ken, during his time of being active on FJ, kept telling his FJ conversation-mates they had misinterpreted or that they were being detractors.  Because he simply did not make the effort to choose words that would communicate what he actually was trying to express.  Of course, part of why he didn't do that is because doing so would reveal what horrible values he holds.  But still, intentionally blurring one's beliefs so as to not appear horrible is not a hugely effective way to share those beliefs, lol...  

43 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Notice Lori uses the verb "hoover", rather than vacuum.  No one says that anymore,  Hoover (verb to vacuum) was used when Hoover (company) was the primary vacuum cleaner manufacturer.

How old is that damn study anyway?

Lori's quoting the Daily Mail. IME, using "hoover" as a verb is much more common in the UK. 

Of course, I can't tell how old the study is because Daily Fail doesn't seem to source anything :pb_rollseyes:

Lori goes viral because Lori is a virus--a one-celled organism (clue--it isn't her brain!!) that has proven resistant to many, many methods of eradication.

Ok, now, Ken, you can ride in and explain that to us wimmenz. 

I wonder does Lori understand the terminology..."viral".  Ya know.  Like a virus.  A disease.  A bothersome something that makes it's way around by being shared inadvertently by a mass of hosts.  Going "viral" is not always a compliment...

(OMG @Granwych great minds and all that! I'm typing and you're a-postin' :my_biggrin: )

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Laine brags in her letters that they never had dental insurance, but hey that's A-OK because they ate healthy and used herbs.  No amount of health eating and herbs will prevent a tooth dying and needing a root canal.

She also brags that they went for quite a while without running hot water, that they had to heat water to bathe and wash dishes.  Laine brags her house has holes in the floor and ripped carpet with holes she covers with throw rugs.  She says the house is hot, hot in the summer and cold in the winter due to poor insulation and she keeps 2 rooms warm with a kerosene heater and warms the living room with the fireplace.

I have long thought that it would serve Lori well to have to live the lifestyle that she believes others should live.

A small trailer, with holes in the floor and no hot water sounds just about right.  

Dinner time?  Sorry.  You're a one car family, and the one car you have is broken down...pity, there's no money to fix it.  A buddy gave your husband a ride to work, and the city bus will be taking you to the grocery.  Not the whole foods or health store...Aldi.  There you will try to figure out how to make $3 and some change feed your 7 children (you're raising an army for Jesus, you know).  Careful now...it's not easy wrangling 7 kids in a grocery store. Homeschooling is the best though, and you can't wait to get home and teach them with books you picked up at the Dollar Store.  Education isn't important anyway, right?  Of course not.   

Don't bother taking off your jacket when you get back home.  Your house is a cozy 43 degrees.  No heat.  It seems your gas was shut off for non-payment.  Next up?  Colds all the way around!  Good thing you have so many home remedies up your sleeve, because you sure as hell don't have health insurance.  Now what's good for strep???  

Finally the day is done.  Time to cook dinner.  Hope no one asks for seconds, because there aren't any.  And the dishes.  And baths!  Going to take a good while to heat all that water.  Too bad your husband won't be there to help.  He's off to his second job.  

You could put the kids in school and get a job to take some of the strain off, but nah.  You're a keeper at home, and you do things "God's ways". Your one luxury is a rich, older, Godly woman who mentors you.  She assures you that God wants him to be the provider, and he'll be fine.  That said, it would have been nice if you could have sent him a lunch.  He wouldn't hear of taking the last of the bread for a sandwich for himself, though. The kids need it more than he does.  Oh, well.  Maybe once the kids are asleep you'll have a few minutes to yourself.  Your mentor just made another post, and you just can't wait to hear what her maid found when she went to clean the neighbor's house.  And she got a new dress!  Seeing pictures of that is definitely something to look forward to!

:roll: Seriously though, I think she might pipe down if she had to do ANY of the things she recommends.  

3 minutes ago, Koala said:

I have long thought that it would serve Lori well to have to live the lifestyle that she believes others should live.

A small trailer, with holes in the floor and no hot water sounds just about right.  

Dinner time?  Sorry.  You're a one car family, and the one car you have is broken down...pity, there's no money to fix it.  A buddy gave your husband a ride to work, and the city bus will be taking you to the grocery.  Not the whole foods or health store...Aldi.  There you will try to figure out how to make $3 and some change feed your 7 children (you're raising an army for Jesus, you know).  Careful now...it's not easy wrangling 7 kids in a grocery store. Homeschooling is the best though, and you can't wait to get home and teach them with books you picked up at the Dollar Store.  Education isn't important anyway, right?  Of course not.   

Don't bother taking off your jacket when you get back home.  Your house is a cozy 43 degrees.  No heat.  It seems your gas was shut off for non-payment.  Next up?  Colds all the way around!  Good thing you have so many home remedies up your sleeve, because you sure as hell don't have health insurance.  Now what's good for strep???  

:roll: Seriously though, I think she might pipe down if she had to do ANY of the things she recommends.  

Luckily, Aldi is becoming the health store :)  LOVE THAT PLACE!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Colby said:

The people I know who shop there really like it.  I am one of those people who never changes, and venturing out of the grocery I have shopped in for nearly 20 years would be :tw_scream: inducing for me.  I hate change.

That said, I am thinking it's definitely not what Lori has in mind.  

Its also interesting how these extreme frugal types seems to always afford an internet connection somehow! Probably not in Laine's day, but the others who have penny pinching blogs don't mention cancelling the internet to save money. 

18 minutes ago, Colby said:

Aldi holds wonderful memories for me. It's where I shopped when our kids were little and I actually enjoyed taking them with me. We had our little routine that they still talk about. Somehow, I convinced myself as we had more money that I could "upgrade" to Kroger or other markets. Now when I go to Aldi, I think "WHY did I stop shopping here?!?"  I always find something new and the prices are fantastic. 

Back to Lori's farmers' market kick; I live in the Midwest where we have already had snow. I went to three major supermarkets over the weekend in search of plums or plumcots. I just wanted some plums or plumcots. They are not to be found anywhere. We basically can buy apples, bananas, oranges, grapes and very tiny strawberries right now. I have two plumcots in my fridge right now and I am viewing them like caviar. "Okay, is this the day I want to run out of  plumcots?" I want to save them but I don't want them to go bad. 

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL, PEOPLE!!  WE DON'T ALL HAVE UNLIMITED FRUIT ALL YEAR!!!!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived