IGNORED

One of Hellena's twins has leukemia

ladyaudley

Sparkling Lauren posted a link to a donation page chuffed.org/project/showering-hellena-currawong-with-love looks like Helena sensibly took the boy to hospital when a tick bite didn't improve (you hear that Lauren??) and he was diagnosed then. It seems they are looking to relocate close to Brisbane Hospital. This is really sad, but I'm glad they seem to be going with traditional medicine here...

• Upvote 12

I'm not familiar with this family. I hope the hospital they are going to has not only great medical care but also a strong support system. Hopefully there are social workers who can get them hooked up with every available financial resource. I see they are asking for $20,000. With relocating costs, time away from work or possibly having to look for a new job, the other children, etc...they will probably need even more. How terrible. I hope they get Medicaid and don't owe a dime for the actual treatment. 

• Upvote 6

Oh how sad! So very good to see them utilizing western medicine as part of his treatment plan. Is she blogging or anything that anyone knows of where we can follow his progress?

• Upvote 1

Oh dear god....that's just heartbreaking.  Nothing but good thoughts for them and their son.  I hope they are able to help him, and he leads a long, happy life.

• Upvote 13

18 minutes ago, freejugar said:

This is heartbreaking :(

Did the parents work?

Not that I know of. They're grifters, like Lauren. Rainbow hippie wannabe's.

While I am sad for their son, I give them personally none of my sympathies.

Fortunately for their son, they live in Australia where he won't be denied care.

• Upvote 7

I think Helena occasionally sells some of her "yarn art" at the local markets. She also has this weird "sextopus" exihibition/experience which I think you can book? Hellenapost.com is her website

• Upvote 1

Showing Hellena and Currawong with love, eh? Not the kid? You know, the one who is sick? 

Yeesh. 

Poor thing, I hope he's okay and gets over this quickly. 

I also hope social services investigates the hell out of these two, and makes sure they aren't carrying lice and god knows what else into the hospital. 

• Upvote 6

I feel a bit guilty snarking on her, and of course I wish only health and happiness for her son,  but I recently saw the "anatomically correct" sextapuses on Lauren's insta (I want "crocheting the retractable foreskin" as a thread count title)

(I

• Upvote 9

Does Australia also have the equivalent of Council housing/apartments like in the U.K.? How many kids now? 7?

Wishing healing blessings on this sick child. 

I also hope social services investigates the hell out of these two

What for? They're weirdo hippies, but they're not doing anything illegal. They live in a perfectly normal house with beds for everyone, the kids are fed and happy (if dirty). The hospital will give the kid a good wash, but why social services need to "investigate the hell" out of them when they took their sick child to hospital when it became apparent he needed it is beyond me.
  • Upvote 20

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Maybe I'm being naive, but how do anatomically correct tentacle monster puppets aid with sex positivity in human beings?

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Maybe I'm being naive, but how do anatomically correct tentacle monster puppets aid with sex positivity in human beings?

I'm reading this with tears rolling down my face!!

If someone had evertold you that you were  going to write that sentence Cleopatra7, you would not have believed them!!

You have cracked it!!:my_smile:

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Muppets everywhere are signing up for Helena's sexual healing classes and they will be helped .:gay-rainbow: :unicorn: .:gay-rainbow:

If you don't understand the incredible importance of handcrafted tentacled monsters with crocheted retractable foreskins you will never get it.  

In all seriousness, the dx of leukemia for the little boy is so sad.

Helena and Currawong are as radical/alternative/hippie/weirdo/Rainbow/unschooling/mother earthish as all get out - but at least they are getting him medical care.  

I sincerely hope all goes well for him.

\

• Upvote 13

I have a soft spot for Hellena and Currawong. I've read her blog for years and I think that although she and Lauren are friends, they're not very alike at all. 

As for H & C, their devotion to their kids and their love for each other is so obvious. I remember someone who knows them posted once that Hellena has an amazing laugh - she really does radiate joy. And the secret hippy part of me thinks Currawong is an amazing drummer.

I was going to make a post about Merlin's diagnosis a few days ago but I didn't know what to say. It seemed wrong to bump an old thread and I'm not around often enough to start a new one.

The hospital is excellent (my nephew has had multiple surgeries there) and the staff is amazing. Hellena says on her public FB that Merlin's prognosis is good. I don't think she would want my prayers, so I'll just send out some good thoughts and hope for all the best for the entire family.

• Upvote 22

I have soft spot for her too, and I love that she learns from experiences "Just like I had judgements about caesareans, and who got them and why, I had judgements about cancer, who got it and why, which have been totally challenged and humbled. One less judgement. I was so sure that with the lifestyle choices I'd made, I'd never be in this position."

She also specifically says thank you for prayers, so those are welcome!

She's mega-crazy, but also somehow strangely lovable.

• Upvote 24

I must admit that I too, enjoy their brand of cray.  While her writing is kind of diarrhea on paper, her video logs are quite fun.  She is a much better speaker than writer.  It seems natural.  Her writing is a bit like she is "stenographing" her mind.  On her videos she seems like that completely out there friend you have that you secretly wish you were more like.

I have always found her to take criticism in a thoughtful, constructive manner and in the end she either rethinks things or owns what she has said.  And whatever else one may critique she adores her children and as far as I know has always gotten them attention as needed. 

I wish her child a fast and easy recovery.  Our neighbor's 4 year old is going through treatment for the same cancer.  It is truly amazing how far medicine has come in treating what often killed children when I was young.  The treatment, when successful, was pretty brutal to the patient too.  My then 6 year old cousin had it 45 or 50 years ago.  She lived, despite her mother's best efforts, but that is a story for another "tale of the crazy fundies" day.

• Upvote 9

This is so sad. I hope he makes a good recovery. I am glad that Hellena and Currawong are getting him good medical care.

• Upvote 1

On October 13, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Lurky said:

I feel a bit guilty snarking on her, and of course I wish only health and happiness for her son,  but I recently saw the "anatomically correct" sextapuses on Lauren's insta (I want "crocheting the retractable foreskin" as a thread count title)

(I

Motherfucker. How can I unsee all of this?

• Upvote 13

i think she is a ridiculous person who desperately wants to be unique and special, but I've never gotten the feeling that she is harmful to others in the way some of the people we snark on here are. She annoys and baffles me, but I lack the urge to smack her upside the head the way I do, say, Laura or Raquel.

Hoping for a quick and  uncomplicated path to health for her son.

• Upvote 10