IGNORED

Green tomatoes

MarblesMom

Hi,

Had to clean out the garden due to frost and there were a LOT of green tomatoes still on the vines.  I kept them on their vines, but cut them off and brought them in.  Will they turn red or was this a futile effort?

TIA.

MM

Just now, MarblesMom said:

Hi,

Had to clean out the garden due to frost and there were a LOT of green tomatoes still on the vines.  I kept them on their vines, but cut them off and brought them in.  Will they turn red or was this a futile effort?

TIA.

MM

Yes bringing them in was the effort, although we don't typically keep them on the vine and they are prone to rotting before they ripen. Keep them dry, relatively cool and out of direct sunlight; lay them out in a single layer on something absorbent like paper towel or newspaper; they shouldn't touch each other. Check them at least once a week (we usually do every other day) and remove the ones that are at least half ripe or have started to rot. The semi-ripe ones we bring into the kitchen to finish ripening.

Another option is fried green tomatoes and green tomato relish.

every year I have a lot of late-season green ones.  @Bethella is right, most of them will ripen on their own. I currently have a shelf in the basement with about 20 of them.  and last weekend I made several pints of relish....yep, had that many.  I also make salsa with green tomatoes.

it's my opinion that you can't have too many tomatoes.......

• 6 months later...

Totally late to this conversation but I don't bother to try and ripen too many. I use them to make a zucchini green tomato relish my family loves. They are also good in chow chow and as pickles on their own. Green tomatoes are their own happy season of good eating at our house :)

• 4 months later...

Archived