IGNORED

DOJ to charge Joe Arpaio with criminal contempt

47of74

Yes!

azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2016/10/11/department-justice-charge-arpaio-criminal-contempt/91901204/

The U.S. Department of Justice officials have opted to charge Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio with criminal contempt for violating a federal court’s orders in a racial-profiling case.

Arpaio has not yet officially been charged. U.S. District Judge Susan Bolton asked the federal government to write an order to show cause, by Wednesday, for her to sign. That will serve as a charging document for the case to go forward against Arpaio only.

The announcement came Tuesday at the case’s first criminal hearing in downtown Phoenix’s federal court.

DOJ attorney John Keller said the government will continue to investigate additional allegations of Arpaio and three aides for concealing evidence — and therefore obstruction of justice — but will not proceed with the prosecution at this time, because they believe the statute of limitations has run out.

• Upvote 3

So much good news today and this is right up there. He had a good thing going with the whole "Feed them cheap and make them earn their keep" program, but then he just had to go and ruin it with his stupid racism. I hope they throw the book at him. 

• Upvote 5

• 9 months later...

Arpaio (R-Douchecannon Fucknuggest) has been found GUILTY!

PHOENIX - Former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio was found guilty of criminal contempt of court by a judge on Monday. 

The criminal charges stem from the profiling case that Arpaio lost three years ago that morphed into a contempt case after the sheriff was accused of defying a 2011 court order to stop his signature immigration patrols.

Sentencing has been set for October 5 at 10 a.m.

I hope that old Nazi gets to wear some nice, pink underwear.

• Upvote 10

Just now, AnywhereButHere said:

Make it a pink thong. It's hot out there.

Trying very, very, very hard not to picture that. 

:brainbleach:

• Upvote 7

If there is someone who deserves the fate of pink underwear, it's him, brain bleach notwithstanding.

• Upvote 8

There goes Trump's plans for Homeland secretary! :kitty-wink:

• Upvote 9

21 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

There goes Trump's plans for Homeland secretary! :kitty-wink:

Unless that rat bastard pardons that son of a bitch.

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

There goes Trump's plans for Homeland secretary!

I figure he'd pick Ruddy

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

If he makes it until the end of his term I shudder to think who he would pardon. 

• Upvote 4

Now Arpaio is begging for money

Days after being found guilty of criminal contempt, former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is sending out blast emails begging for financial support.

On Monday, the man who once called himself “America’s toughest sheriff,” was found guilty of criminal contempt for violating the terms of a 2011 court order in a racial profiling case.

Arpaio lost his bid for re-election as Maricopa County sheriff last November after 24 years in office, and is now facing both jail-time and a fine when he returns to court for sentencing on October 5.

Prior to his court appearance, Arpaio sent out fundraising letter asking for help saying he is being persecuted for his “outspoken stance against illegal immigration.”

No, Joe, you fucking douche nozzle.  You were prosecuted.  Big difference there.  Not because of your views, but because you disobeyed an order of the court.  Now fuck off and live with the consequences.

• Upvote 12

I am sure my sister in law will send him money.  He's a hero to her & my brother. (Right up there with Newt & George Zimmerman as champions of white people.)  :562479528aee8_32(4):By the way she sent George Zimmerman money.

Edited by FloraKitty35
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

I am sure my sister in law will send him money.  He's a hero to her & my brother. (Right up there with Newt & George Zimmerman as champions of white people.)  :562479528aee8_32(4):By the way she sent George Zimmerman money.

George Zimmerman, horrible human being. I'm almost shocked that anyone would send him money, but then I recall that people sent Casey Anthony money as well.

Those two were very lucky to walk with acquittal. According to the trials I watched, both of them should have been found guilty as hell. Both liars and murderers of children. Beyond reprehensible.

• Upvote 9

George Zimmerman is a train wreck.  Like OJ, I suspect he will do something to land himself in prison.  This article details a timeline of his many, many scrapes with the law.  Although many people have brought complaints against him, charges aren't filed or don't stick but they all seem to involve some form of rage, threats and usually guns.  

A TIMELINE OF GEORGE ZIMMERMAN'S BIZARRE LIFE AFTER KILLING TRAYVON MARTIN

and that only takes us up to May 2016.  

• Upvote 5

Awww, how gracious of him (end sarcasm): "Joe Arpaio: I'd accept a pardon from Trump"

Spoiler

Former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who was found guilty in late July of contempt of court after failing to stop racial profiling practices, said he would accept a pardon from President Donald Trump.

“Whatever the president wants me to do, I would support him,” Arpaio said to his state’s largest paper, The Arizona Republic, earlier this week. “If he needs help with anything, of course I’m going to help him.”

Arpaio, who served as Maricopa County’s sheriff for more than two decades, is a Trump supporter and spoke at the then-nominee’s events last year. Arpaio, however, is not sure whether the president is aware of his current legal situation.

“I’m not going to ask him,” Arpaio said of a possible presidential pardon, and he would not disclose whether the two spoke since inauguration day. “I’m very careful. I don’t go around bragging.”

The White House has not mentioned Arpaio’s case since Trump took office. The 85-year-old faces up to six months behind bars.

What a tool.

• Upvote 5

Sheriff Joe certainly knows how to drop a hint.  He's forgotten, though, that Trump uses people, and when they are no longer useful, they are discarded.  The discard pile is pretty high.  A Democrat handed Joe his walking papers in the last election and the courts handed him his ass, so he has zip for political capital and might even be considered a liability and is certainly a has been.   

• Upvote 9

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, 47of74 said:

Good for you for calling it!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/08/14/trump-says-hes-considering-pardon-for-joe-arpaio/?utm_term=.4416957f9c6f

President Trump told Fox News he is “seriously considering” issuing a pardon for former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio, who was convicted last month of criminal contempt for ignoring a judge’s order to stop detaining people because he merely suspected them of being undocumented immigrants.

Trump told the news outlet during a conversation in Bedminster, N.J., that the pardon could come quickly, perhaps in a matter of days. The news outlet reported the conversation on its website Monday.

“I might do it right away, maybe early this week. I am seriously thinking about it,” Trump said, according to Fox News. He said Arpaio was a “great American patriot” who had “done a lot in the fight against illegal immigration.”

“Is there anyone in local law enforcement who has done more to crack down on illegal immigration than Sheriff Joe?” Trump said, according to Fox News. “He has protected people from crimes and saved lives. He doesn’t deserve to be treated this way.”

Arpaio, whose extreme stance and tactics on illegal immigration made him a household name, was convicted of criminal contempt last month by a federal judge in Arizona. He faces up to six months in prison at his sentencing, which is scheduled for Oct. 5. Jack Wilenchik, Arpaio’s attorney, said after Arpaio was convicted that the former sheriff would appeal to get a jury trial, and that the judge’s conclusion was “contrary to what every single witness testified in the case.”

“Joe Arpaio is in this for the long haul, and he will continue his fight to vindicate himself, to prove his innocence, and to protect the public,” Wilenchik said.

Wilenchik did not immediately respond to phone and email messages seeking comment Monday. A White House spokeswoman did not immediately answer an email seeking comment. A Justice Department spokeswoman said she was not aware of the president’s remarks but would wait until action was taken before commenting.

• Upvote 4

Of course he's planning on pardoning Arpaio. Arpaio was one of the few slimies in the country that Trump didn't add to his administration. I'm guessing that, had Arpaio been younger and without the legal problems, he would have been considered for something. 

• Upvote 10

11 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Of course he's planning on pardoning Arpaio. Arpaio was one of the few slimies in the country that Trump didn't add to his administration. I'm guessing that, had Arpaio been younger and without the legal problems, he would have been considered for something. 

And he fits right in with Trump's ethnic hatred of Hispanics.

• Upvote 11

The WaPo editorial board published this: "This would be a travesty of justice'

Spoiler

EVEN AS President Trump urges the nation to heal, he is publicly considering a step whose effect would be the exact opposite: a pardon for former sheriff Joe Arpaio, the former Arizona lawman who made his name as a paragon of racial profiling.

Pardoning Mr. Arpaio now would throw a bone to the president’s partisans on the racist alt-right just days after Mr. Trump fed them a juicy steak by explicitly equating the neo-Nazis, anti-Semites and Ku Klux Klansmen in Charlottesville with those who marched against them. If Mr. Trump wants to further inflame and divide America, there would be few more effective ways to do it than by granting clemency to a man whose political career was based on contempt for Latinos generally and Hispanic undocumented immigrants specifically.

A pardon for Mr. Arpaio, convicted of criminal contempt of court just three weeks ago, would circumvent the Justice Department’s long-established procedure for review. The former sheriff, whose sentencing is scheduled for October, hasn’t even applied for a pardon, the processing and consideration for which would ordinarily take several years. Thousands of applications have yet to be reviewed.

Yet Mr. Trump has said he is considering such a move. After all, the president and the former sheriff, an early and enthusiastic backer of Mr. Trump’s candidacy, are two peas in a nativist pod. Both were ardent “birthers” who questioned whether Barack Obama was born in the United States, a touchstone of actual “fake news”; both maligned Hispanic judges, attacking their legitimacy on grounds of ethnicity; both are unapologetic champions of racial profiling. (“Well, we have no choice,” said Mr. Trump, defending the practice.)

Mr. Arpaio was found guilty of having ignored a federal court order directing him to halt a campaign of illegal arrests and detentions based on suspects’ appearance — in other words, explicit racial profiling. Thumbing his nose at the order, he continued the prohibited patrols for an additional 17 months and bragged about it to voters in Arizona’s Maricopa County.

Generally, presidential pardons are granted after a decent interval to individuals who have expressed contrition for their offense. By contrast, Mr. Arpaio has dismissed his prosecution as politically motivated and sneered at the charge on which he was convicted as a “petty crime” of which he is “100 percent not guilty.”

Even as Mr. Trump was busy last week condoning the goons and thugs who invaded Charlottesville — there were “very fine people” among them, the president said — he was praising Mr. Arpaio for his “crackdown” on illegal immigration and saying he was seriously considering a pardon for him. “He’s a great American patriot, and I hate to see what has happened to him,” Mr. Trump said.

To say such a thing is to twist the meaning of patriotism. Mr. Arpaio, who used ethnicity as a wedge issue and delighted in humiliating the immigrants he arrested and incarcerating them in inhumane conditions, is no more a patriot than the thugs in Charlottesville are. Pardoning him would be a travesty of justice that would further discredit a presidency already stained by Mr. Trump’s words and conduct.

• Upvote 5

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:34 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

Pardoning Mr. Arpaio now would throw a bone to the president’s partisans on the racist alt-right just days after Mr. Trump fed them a juicy steak by explicitly equating the neo-Nazis, anti-Semites and Ku Klux Klansmen in Charlottesville with those who marched against them. If Mr. Trump wants to further inflame and divide America, there would be few more effective ways to do it than by granting clemency to a man whose political career was based on contempt for Latinos generally and Hispanic undocumented immigrants specifically.

A pardon for Mr. Arpaio, convicted of criminal contempt of court just three weeks ago, would circumvent the Justice Department’s long-established procedure for review. The former sheriff, whose sentencing is scheduled for October, hasn’t even applied for a pardon, the processing and consideration for which would ordinarily take several years. Thousands of applications have yet to be reviewed.

Well, the pardon happened.  Let's see what happens as a result.

• Upvote 15

1 hour ago, JMarie said:

Well, the pardon happened.  Let's see what happens as a result.

Probably not much.  It will be eclipsed by the natural disaster unfolding with Hurricane Harvey, which is being heavily covered by MSM. 

• Upvote 6

17 minutes ago, Howl said:

Probably not much.  It will be eclipsed by the natural disaster unfolding with Hurricane Harvey, which is being heavily covered by MSM. 

If it's being covered by MSM, does that mean that it's fake news? :confused2:

• Upvote 8

Hannity has got to be giggling like the proverbial schoolgirl right now. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 5