IGNORED

Creepy Clown Sightings

Grimalkin

A few weeks ago on another thread somewhere here on FJ,(I don't recall where) we were talking about clowns. I posted a story I thought was amusing at the time about  creepy clowns lurking in the woods 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/reports-creepy-clowns-woods-spooking-residents-greenville-s-c-n640876?client=safari

There were news stories of clowns being sighted in other states. I didn't pay much attention to it. So yesterday there is buzz of the clowns coming to Illinois. Our school district had a lockdown drill yesterday, and kids came home saying they were on lockdown due to killer clowns. Apparently a Waukegan school did have a lock down because of clowns and also a school in Indiana. My poor  ten year old was crying when I picked her up from soccer freaked out about the clown hysteria. Then last night I was walking my dog like I always do at around 10:00. I just felt creeped out and went home. My 18 yo came home from work after 11:00 and I had to open the garage for her because she felt weird. Since I don't go to bed until she is home it's not a problem. Menacing clowns have stuck fear in our hearts.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ibtimes.com/creepy-clown-sightings-map-2016-timeline-threats-arrests-school-closings-false-2426296%3famp=1?client=safari

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the heck is up with these clown sightings? Why is this happening? There were also false reports of clown sightings at my college.

It's happening here in Philadelphia, they've actually arrested several young teens in connection with terroristic threats (on Facebook) against students and teachers. There were several instances of people dressed as clowns chasing people in a neighborhood near me. I think with the arrests it has calmed down for now. 

My brother said it started in the South and had racial tones to it. I was tired and had trouble following along, but he said social media has absolutely contributed to how wide spread it has gone so quickly. 

My town had threats made against our public schools. So did several other schools across the state. It seriously pisses me off - total lack of common sense and decency.

And if any Clowns jump out in front of my car late at night (like a clown did in another state)... I will likely run them over while going into early labor from the shock of it all. :pb_evil:

One incident gets a lot of publicity and inspires copycats, and so it keeps spreading. It sounds like the equivalent of spreading a virus.

There were reportedly clown sightings in the town where I work, but what I've heard has been more just rumors than facts. The police have stepped up their foot patrols but other than that I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary personally.

6 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I'm calling it mass hysteria.

Because of Trump? He's clown-like.

Inspiring copycats and social media making it spread makes sense. But still. Just what. Why. Why did this start? Why do people think this is a good idea? 

I absolutely abhor clowns and anything to do with them. I walked out of a circus tent once when the clowns came into the ring. I was very young. My Dad had to come and find me. 

I hated macDonalds when they began opening in the UK. My kids were taken to Burger King for their Saturday morning post football lunches!

I would have to go into hibernation if sightings were reported over here!:content:

In a college town close to me, there were a couple of clown sightings.   The Chief of Police was on tv saying, "Terrorizing people is illegal.  If you see a clown, call the police.   We highly suggest you don't wear a clown costume in public, unless you have a legitimate reason to be in a clown costume."   While I know these creepy things would scare me, if I saw one hanging around - they aren't dressing up like fun clowns - this still struck me as amusing.   What's a legitimate reason?  parade?  Trick or treating?  Kid party? 

I read an article about how this hoax is hurting actual clown business. GOOD. Who the fuck picks clown as their vocation anyway?

This made the news on this side of the Atlantic:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/oct/05/clown-sightings-south-carolina-alabama

Another thing to add to my "you made the right decision leaving the US!" list.  I hope no one gets shot, even idiots trying to stir people up.  If this keeps up I have a bad feeling about Halloween.

It's going on around here too. I'm not overly concerned but it is in the back of my mind that people will use Halloween as an excuse for being dressed up as creepy clowns just to scare people for fun.

Didn't one guy dressed as a clown get shot? I can see that happening more, especially in the south and Midwest where there are lots of gun owners.

I'm in Ohio and the clown hysteria is crazy here. I've heard numerous stories, including clowns knocking on doors holding machetes and clowns attempting  to lure children away from parks. I don't even know what's true anymore. All I know is that I would not dress up as a clown any time soon (or ever). 

We had a couple clowns chase some kids with chains where i live and i'm in canada. They were caught though and it turned out to be a couple teens

I can't help but laugh because of all the memes that have come out of this clown debacle. I haven't seen anything around my area. I hope no one dresses up like a clown for Halloween!

There was a clown arrested this morning about  30 miles away.   Disturbing the peace.

Too close for me.

It's just such a weird phenomenon and creepy AF.  

On October 6, 2016 at 10:30 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

I read an article about how this hoax is hurting actual clown business. GOOD. Who the fuck picks clown as their vocation anyway?

Who wants a clown at a child's party? Unless they hated the child. No kids like clowns. None. In an article I read a man who started #clownlivesmatter dresses up as a clown every year for a haunted house he works at. He is afraid to commute to work in costume. 

I did see an amazingly clever clown act at a circus a few months ago. The clown's costume was not very clowny though. The clown was playing with what appeared to be a stuffed elephant. It was floppy and he loved this little elephant. Then he wound it up and it walked in a very mechanical way. But seemed off. This went on for a while it was cute and funny. In the end it was a poodle dressed as an elephant. It was really good.

34 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

#clownlivesmatter

OMG I am laughing and in shock at the same time.  Is this trending anywhere?

Between this and Trump, somehow I am behind the looking glass tonight!

I wonder if it started on some website like 4chan? It's odd. Two years ago, my city had a clown sightings. We even made National headlines! They were "nice" clowns though and for a good month people would drive around the city at night to take selfies with the clowns. The clowns were nice enough to pose for  selfies and loved the attention. The local clowns haven't had a resurgence yet.......

We've only had a few social media threats of creepy clowns here. A law enforcement officer came on the local news and reminded people that making threats can be illegal and that anyone dressing up to scare people should remember that our state has a new law that allows concealed carry without a permit.  (God help us all.) He also recommended that parents consider taking away their kids' social media privileges for a few weeks until it blows over. 

I do feel bad for the legitimate clowns here who often go to hospitals or retirement centers to cheer up people who like a funny clown. I haven't talked to my family member who is clown phobic since this started. I hope she's doing okay.

(No one used a clown emoticon? :occasion-clown: :occasion-clown: :occasion-clown: :occasion-clown: :occasion-clown:)

If it hadn't been going on for so long (off and on), I'd think that it was early viral marketing for the remake of IT that comes out next year.

If I saw a clown loitering out in front of my house, I'd freak out.  So creepy.

I do agree with the people saying they feel bad for ones that are funny clowns that do birthday parties or go to hospitals or whatever.  And this time of year the ones that work at haunted houses and stuff. 

Archived