47of74

Some sad news today;

kwwl.com/story/33124409/2016/09/18/sound-of-music-actress-chairman-carr-dies-at-73

Charmian Carr, the actress best known for sweetly portraying the eldest von Trapp daughter in Rogers & Hammerstein's "The Sound of Music," has died. She was 73.

She died Saturday of complications from a rare form of dementia in Los Angeles, Carr's spokesman, Harlan Boll, said.

At age 21, the actress portrayed Liesl von Trapp in the 1965 film musical "The Sound of Music." She famously performed the song "Sixteen Going on Seventeen."

After "The Sound of Music," Carr's only other major Hollywood role was starring with Anthony Perkins in the Stephen Sondheim television musical "Evening Primrose." She played a mysterious young woman who lived in a department store.

Adieu, adieu Liesl. MissBlah and I have spent many happy hours in your company singing along. Edelweiss was the lullaby I sang to both my children. 

So sad to read that she's gone. Sound of Music is one of my favorites, and she was such a joy in it.

She was just so great in The Sound of Music! The press is going on about her singing which was great, but I also love the dancing scene in the gazebo and remember when she got kissed? "Wheeeeee!" I really love the old Hollywood people who could act, dance, sing, even play instruments. She and the whole cast and crew have brought us all a lot of happiness over the years.

A friend of mine showed me a blooper where you can see her, behind the curtain, running up to Maria's window when she's supposed to be climbing to it. 

Archived