IGNORED

Counting On Season Two- Part 3

samurai_sarah

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

To be fair, Jill seemed highly invested and interested in her Midwifery training. The fact that she wasn't given the chance to go through a legitimate educational program for Nursing or something similar still pisses me off because she seemed to have a real interest in it. She should have been allowed to at least try. Even if she couldn't cut it or had to drop out, at the very least she could have said she tried and learned something.

And the Bates offspring all seem to be rather hard workers, unlike their parents. Chad, John, and Zach are all employed by someone other than IBLP headquarters. Lawson was working a lawn care business as a teenager and was relatively successful at it (I think he has someone else running it for him right now.) Brandon works for IBLP headquarters - but at least he has a job I guess?

The women are working hard too and not just at the typical Fundie woman jobs. Erin records and sells her music and Alyssa has helped John clean offices for extra money in the past (I think she still does). Michael, I believe, has babysat and nannied while she was courting (I think she may still be doing that too.) Whitney doesn't appear to work outside the home, but she does have an Associate's in Medical Coding and she did work at Sonic's while courting Zach. So it's not like the Bates offspring are just trying to grift their way through life.

I think the big difference is the fact that the Duggars got lucky with TLC. I think they're used to the money they earn from the show now, so there may not be a big incentive for them to work outside the home. It would be very interesting to see who would sink and who would swim if the show actually disappeared for good.

The sad thing is that if she was actually allowed to get a nursing degree with a focus in midwifery, she would be so much more useful in Central America even without spanish to back it up. She's what 24? She would have finished that degree by now. People in those places need medical assistance. They don't need more Jesus.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the kids have all left home, the TTH is going to be a dinosaur. Impossible to sell. Who wants a house that big with only three bedrooms?

I think the Bateses are generally smarter than the Duggars - though I only see it as good if it's used for good - and have also needed to find jobs since they weren't on TLC for 10+ years.  And while I've never liked Gil, it seems as though he doesn't dominate his sons-in-law like JB does.  His sons-in-law, correspondingly, strike me as more sturdy and willing/able to find independent ways to support their families than JB's do...but I don't know whether TLC contracts might somehow limit outside employment.

All that said, I doubt we know the extent of the Duggar investments or potential employment options for their children.  There have (at least) been airplanes, rental properties, properties to renovate and flip, used car dealerships, and towing services.  Who knows what else they might be up to?  I think that as long as one of the Duggar sons can eventually take over JB's "management" role, the other kids and their families will have their basics covered and then some.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

When the kids have all left home, the TTH is going to be a dinosaur. Impossible to sell. Who wants a house that big with only three bedrooms?

I can't imagine it's built to last terribly long, not to mention the wear and tear that all those kids have probably put on the house. When it comes time to sell it, it may just be a teardown. 

If it's sold to anyone outside the family, I'm guessing it'll be a leghumper or another fundie family. Isn't it built near a dump or something, too? Not prime property in any way...

They built it with steel beams or something, so it seems like it would last a while, even if some of the finishes or flooring needs to be replaced.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

If the Duggars ever sell that home, the new buyers are probably going to have to remodel the interior, unless they turn it into a convent.  Actually, that might be kind of amusing - to see ebil Catholics living in the TTH.  (Note:  Do nuns share a large dormitory style bedroom?  Or do they each get a small bare-bones room? )

They'll never sell that house.  By the time Boob/Michelle are ready to "retire" from parenting they'll convert it into a retreat or some form of organization they can claim a tax credit on.  "Duggar marital prep" or some shit like that... perfect for dorms and the industrial kitchen can handle to "students."

I feel like TLC "Our shows are so engrossing." commercials is a  huge FU to what everyone says about Counting on. 

I love how Jinger's eye got so wide when Jeremy just tosses the candy on the counter to be paid. I wonder how surprising it is going to be when Jeremy splurges on nice things, like cars and clothes she wants. I'll never forget when my DH (1 of 12 kids) got his first Christmas presents from me: A large gift and lots of little cheaper gifts. He was godsmacked at how little I cared about price as long as he was happy. 

33 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

(Note:  Do nuns share a large dormitory style bedroom?  Or do they each get a small bare-bones room? )

My SIL is a nun, and she lives in a dormitory style building, but she has her own room. In the past, there was a dormitory style bathroom, albeit with stalls, etc, but showers had private changing areas, bathrooms had stall doors, etc, but no private sinks, commodes, in the rooms. She is moving into a renovated area soon where she will have a small suiite: bedroom, small sitting area, private bathroom. There will still be a larger common area for the nuns to gather for television and games.

Every nun I've ever known has at least a private sleeping area, if that answers your question. Roman Catholic, East Coast, USA.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

They'll never sell that house.  By the time Boob/Michelle are ready to "retire" from parenting they'll convert it into a retreat or some form of organization they can claim a tax credit on.  "Duggar marital prep" or some shit like that... perfect for dorms and the industrial kitchen can handle to "students."

Maybe they could teach parenting classes, because they've done such a great job with that...oh, wait...  :hello:

I can see JimBoob opening it up as a tourist attraction to earn extra $$.

They can sell it to ATI.  The way ATI is shrinking it can easily be the headquarters.  Plenty of space and a dump next door....perfect!! 

19 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I'm not trying to be mean, I swear (welcome to FJ!!!) but I gotta ask, where have you ever seen a can do attitude from a Duggar? They openly admit they can't cook, they clearly can't clean, they start projects and then wait for TLC to agree to finish it for the story line (up to and including their own house), and pretty much any time they're shown doing anything they never have any real interest or enthusiasm. Exception to Jana and JD, both of whom seem pretty handy and competent.

The Bates in particular have a long history of grifting rather than working. I actually think JB may have been a pretty hard worker as a younger man, but his attitude nowadays is less "can do" and more "can make TLC pay for". I may be confusing what you mean, it seems like you are praising their work ethic, but I must admit I don't think the Duggars have a particularly strong work ethic on the whole.

LOL points well taken.  Maybe I'm thinking about Gil Bates cutting down trees or the Duggars' used car lots...  I grew up in a family with NO entrepreneurial spirit.  We GOT jobs we didn't start our own businesses, so I admire that quality in people.  JBoob apparently bought into cell towers early on (or had land that companies built cell towers on and pay him rent) and lives off the residuals of that.  That's pretty entrepreneurial.  Maybe not as "can do" as JD piloting, but not bad.  And they did build that house (yes, I know with tons of help) but the plans to build that house came before TLC got involved.  They wanted to do that even when they were nobodies.

Agreed that the girls all admit they can't cook which I find very weird.  Mind you, I had to learn how to cook off the internet, and they don't spend much time in that sin vortex.

Not sure why starting your own tree trimming business might be seen as better than finding employment as a dental hygenist, accountant, engineer, paralegal, teacher, librarian, etc.  There are pro's and con's to self employment, just as there are for being an employee.  I've done both.  However, my parents made sure I got a good basic education and the opportunity to gain a higher education so I could pursue a variety of avenues.  The females in fundie homes get one role in life:  obedient servant.  

1 minute ago, EmmieJ said:

The females in fundie homes get one role in life:  obedient servant.  

Also must have as many children as possible, even if you do not want more. 

29 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

Not sure why starting your own tree trimming business might be seen as better than finding employment as a dental hygenist, accountant, engineer, paralegal, teacher, librarian, etc.  There are pro's and con's to self employment, just as there are for being an employee.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply one was better than the other.  I think when you live such a wacky life with such wacky beliefs, it's hard to fit into normal society.  My boss has six kids under six and he actually stopped making announcements at work after the fifth.  No one even knew he had a sixth because he was so tired of the reaction, so he just kept his business to himself.  I think if your belief system is so un-normal (based on 21st century western world norms) self-employment makes sense on all kinds of levels because you don't get "influenced" by worldly things (imagine, female coworkers exposing their knees!  They'd have to scream "Nike" all day). 

I really do believe they will all be okay.  Like another poster pointed out, there are likely millions in the bank, paid-for house and property, and no college educations to worry about, so each kid should make off with enough to get started in life.  I made do with FAR less.

7 hours ago, Wenny said:

I feel like TLC "Our shows are so engrossing." commercials is a  huge FU to what everyone says about Counting on. 

That's more accurate...

8 hours ago, EmmieJ said:

If the Duggars ever sell that home, the new buyers are probably going to have to remodel the interior, unless they turn it into a convent.  Actually, that might be kind of amusing - to see ebil Catholics living in the TTH.  (Note:  Do nuns share a large dormitory style bedroom?  Or do they each get a small bare-bones room? )

I think it depends on the convent and the order. I remember asking my teacher in fifth grade (a Dominican sister) how she decided which order was right for her. She told me about how she had gone to stay with the ones she was most interested in and that in one, she was allowed to sleep "in the room with the rest of the sisters," implying it was a big communal room they all slept in. I think Poor Clares and the Dominicans get their own little rooms, but I'm not as familiar with other orders. 

4 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I think it depends on the convent and the order. I remember asking my teacher in fifth grade (a Dominican sister) how she decided which order was right for her. She told me about how she had gone to stay with the ones she was most interested in and that in one, she was allowed to sleep "in the room with the rest of the sisters," implying it was a big communal room they all slept in. I think Poor Clares and the Dominicans get their own little rooms, but I'm not as familiar with other orders. 

The Benedictines from my high school lived in town. Only the one ancient nun still lived in the convent that was in the school, Sister Mary Albert was about 100 years old (we called her "Buzzy) but the other three nuns shared a place in town. They had like a three bedroom townhouse near the big parish in midtown. The nun who was my math teacher was a baseball FANATIC and ended up buying her own TV so she could watch in peace because the other 2 sisters weren't into it and my math teacher was capable of raising 18 shades of hell. 

Sitting in Munich airport waiting for my plane wondering why they are so quiet

i was able to get last weeks episode in iTunes and watched it on the plane ride to here and my mom watched with me and said about John David and joy are in love lol

42 minutes ago, nst said:

Sitting in Munich airport waiting for my plane wondering why they are so quiet

i was able to get last weeks episode in iTunes and watched it on the plane ride to here and my mom watched with me and said about John David and joy are in love lol

I'm guessing that Arkansas CPS is going all "We made a huge mistake" and is now trying to mitigate how much they're going to screw up that poor 8-year-old by telling the Duggars to shut the fuck up, keep the kid off of social media, and wind down the dog and pony show or they'll terminate the custody rights. One can dream.

2 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm guessing that Arkansas CPS is going all "We made a huge mistake" and is now trying to mitigate how much they're going to screw up that poor 8-year-old by telling the Duggars to shut the fuck up, keep the kid off of social media, and wind down the dog and pony show or they'll terminate the custody rights. One can dream.

I am shocked that any government agency will let them have a hamster.

where are jessa  new pregnancy photos?

what with the time change I might be able to see the second viewing of flame tonight

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived