IGNORED

Counting On Season Two- Part 3

samurai_sarah

28 minutes ago, Funwithfundies said:

I agree, but can you imagine the level of resentment that will trigger in the older kidults?  Let's just take Jessa, for example.  Years from now, will she feel that if she had been allowed more contact with Bin (physical and emotional, etc) prior to marriage, she would have been able to make a more informed choice as to whether he was 'the one' for her?

I'm not so sure about that, because at that point she will easily been overwelmed by kids and don't even thinking about their engagement period or she could put the rose glasses on and self conviced that everything was perfect. We will see

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the nail art was pretty cute. As a Duggar female, it's not like she has that many outlets for self-expression. The art was relevant to her relationship and clearly something she spent some time making.

Her education is woefully lacking, but I really don't think this was an example of that - it was just a piece of art that she made for her bf. If she was going for something geographically correct, I am sure she would have looked at a map.

Not defending the relationship, because she is totally acting like a 12 year old with a first crush, but I don't think this artwork means anything other than she wanted to make something for him.

I am trying to understand this idea that Jeremy somehow wants to pull Jinger out of the Duggar lifestyle, expose her to the world, save her from Jim Bob and have deep meanful conversations with her. He is a college graduate that sought out a woman who has lived he lifestyle of a 12 year-old, has no education, was raised to be submissive, knows nothing of the world and who needs her parents permission to court. If he wants to save her, he doesn't need to marry her, just help her learn to live an independent life, which people should know how to do before they marry.  Regular Twelve year olds have more independence that Jinger. 

Men who want normal relationships with adult women don't seek out fundy women. What is the upside to seeking out a woman who lives the life of a child and who has never made an adult decision in her life? How is that an appealing way to start a relationship? I don't understand wanting to marry someone who does not know how to make adult decision if their spouse becomes incapacitated or isn't available to make said decision. I don't see how there could be anything great about a man looking to marry a woman who has never lived the life of a woman, i.e. making her own decisions. That's not marrying an equal, that's wanting to marry someone where you have the power as an adult and can mold the other into what you want. 

TLC has enough video clips up on the website to get the basic idea of the past few episodes without suffering through the whole thing. Main takeaway is how ridiculous Jinger is acting, seriously 12 year old with her first crush style. And the idea that you're so lovestruck that you can't handle more than one chore in a day is really pathetic, these people really are just so fucking lazy and will take any excuse to do jackshit. 

There's also a recipe video up for Alfredo sauce with Jana directing Jessa. It's as bland as you can get, just butter, heavy whipping cream (!!), Parmesan. Jessa suggests adding salt and pepper, Jana takes that to say you can customize the recipe as you'd like. Because basic seasoning is "customization"... Also you apparently have to let the noodles soak in this flavorless soup for at least 10-15 minutes because they don't actually cook it to a proper consistency. Because, you know, they don't actually know how to cook.

My phone keeps trying to auto correct Jingers name to "Hunger". Appropriate.

18 hours ago, vespeon said:

The bolded made me think of a Counting On aftershow where the hosts sit, drink, knit/crochet (or other fun crafts), and bitch about the snoozefest that is Counting On. The title? The FJ Stitch 'n Bitch :martinismiley:

This is brilliant! I would zealously solicit sponsors for this show!

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

TLC has enough video clips up on the website to get the basic idea of the past few episodes without suffering through the whole thing. Main takeaway is how ridiculous Jinger is acting, seriously 12 year old with her first crush style. And the idea that you're so lovestruck that you can't handle more than one chore in a day is really pathetic, these people really are just so fucking lazy and will take any excuse to do jackshit. 

There's also a recipe video up for Alfredo sauce with Jana directing Jessa. It's as bland as you can get, just butter, heavy whipping cream (!!), Parmesan. Jessa suggests adding salt and pepper, Jana takes that to say you can customize the recipe as you'd like. Because basic seasoning is "customization"... Also you apparently have to let the noodles soak in this flavorless soup for at least 10-15 minutes because they don't actually cook it to a proper consistency. Because, you know, they don't actually know how to cook.

I'll take your word for it that Jana's version is bland or even lousy, as I am not watching a video, but all Alfredo sauce usually has in it traditionally is butter, heavy whipping cream, parmesan cheese, and pepper. I would bet she doesn't buy good cheese and grate it herself, but it's a pretty simple dish.

3 hours ago, freethemall said:

I doubt that any Alfredo dish with actual  butter, cream and fresh Parm cheese has graced the Duggars' table all that much (if ever). Clearly Jessa had never made it.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I doubt that any Alfredo dish with actual  butter, cream and fresh Parm cheese has graced the Duggars' table all that much (if ever). Clearly Jessa had never made it.

Yes, we all know they just buy pre-made jars.

Okay, I have no idea what's supposed to be in Alfredo sauce, as I've never made it, but I can't get over the idea of S&P being "customisation". No, just no. Salt is not customisation, it is essential, with pepper a close second.

15 minutes ago, alba said:

Okay, I have no idea what's supposed to be in Alfredo sauce, as I've never made it, but I can't get over the idea of S&P being "customisation". No, just no. Salt is not customisation, it is essential, with pepper a close second.

Yeah but you know when allora that you know about food is Tarte Tort and frozing food everything little thing is customisation 

1 hour ago, alba said:

No, just no. Salt is not customisation, it is essential, with pepper a close second.

Coming from a family with a history of hypertension, I can tell you it is not essential.

On September 17, 2016 at 0:49 AM, vespeon said:

The bolded made me think of a Counting On aftershow where the hosts sit, drink, knit/crochet (or other fun crafts), and bitch about the snoozefest that is Counting On. The title? The FJ Stitch 'n Bitch :martinismiley:

It will be our version of Gogglebox (a british reality show)

4 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Coming from a family with a history of hypertension, I can tell you it is not essential.

We're not talking about the larger amounts in processed food or the extra flavor of table salt, this is just the basic sprinkle that food requires to not be flavorless and for the chemistry to work correctly. For vegetables for instance, salt is essential in making the juices coming out and softening everything. 

We're not talking about the larger amounts in processed food or the extra flavor of table salt, this is just the basic sprinkle that food requires to not be flavorless and for the chemistry to work correctly. For vegetables for instance, salt is essential in making the juices coming out and softening everything. 

Yes, exactly. Of course, if your doctor's told you not to eat it at all, then I'm not going to argue, but from a culinary standpoint there's really no replacement for bringing out the flavour of veggies or cooking grains to the right texture.

1 hour ago, CoveredInBees said:

I would never add salt to a cheese based dish, there's enough salt in the cheese to begin with.

That's exactly what I should have said

I would never add salt to a cheese based dish, there's enough salt in the cheese to begin with.

Fair enough. I don't eat much cheese so that hadn't occurred to me; I was thinking more of how I never understood why my homemade hummus tasted like shit until I started adding salt [emoji14]

30 minutes ago, alba said:

Fair enough. I don't eat much cheese so that hadn't occurred to me

I loves me some cheese ;) 

Shameless Tim Minchin link:

15 hours ago, freethemall said:

You mean I could have gotten an extension on my dissertation just by claiming that I had a raging ladyboner for a Tinder date? Also, now we know why the Duggar boys never do jackshit around the house.

19 hours ago, socalrules said:

Men who want normal relationships with adult women don't seek out fundy women. What is the upside to seeking out a woman who lives the life of a child and who has never made an adult decision in her life? How is that an appealing way to start a relationship? I don't understand wanting to marry someone who does not know how to make adult decision if their spouse becomes incapacitated or isn't available to make said decision. I don't see how there could be anything great about a man looking to marry a woman who has never lived the life of a woman, i.e. making her own decisions. That's not marrying an equal, that's wanting to marry someone where you have the power as an adult and can mold the other into what you want. 

So much this. Thanks for the great reminder of exactly how aggressively fundie culture sets up women (and children) for abuse, and what a perfect environment it creates for abusers to flourish. It is way too easy to forget this because it's so horrific. I think I keep blocking it out because I grew up in it and don't want to believe this about my childhood environment, but it is still so true. 

Longtime FJ lurker, new member here *waves to everyone*

I wanted to add one thing to the "Duggar girls are unemployable" line that sometimes gets bandied about here... The girls actually DO have really good paid jobs.  They are reality teevee stars.  Stats say the family was paid $25-45K per episode and there were 227 episodes filmed.  Surely some of that money had to have been put into trust as they were the stars of the show.  I am pretty sure there are laws about parents spending money of kids who are child actors or performers.

On the new show (Counting On), Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Anna and Joy are the "stars" and they are all adults, so they would have signed their own contracts with TLC for income for their roles in the show.

Also, four oldest girls wrote a book and have residuals from that.

They probably make more than I do.  They are cash cows.  They are by no means "unemployable" who will need husbands to get part time jobs to keep up their thrift store habits.

21 minutes ago, montyollie said:

I am pretty sure there are laws about parents spending money of kids who are child actors or performers.

Not in Arkansas.  The contracts pertaining to reality shows are not the same as regular actors who are guild members.  Plus employment laws vary from state to state.  I've also cautioned over the years about believing published guesstimates of what families earn from TLC shows.  Those guesstimates have proven notoriously unreliable.

*waves @montyollie*

A lot of other reality TV stars have actual jobs though, even <gasp> the Kardashians (if anything, they probably work the hardest).

And then there's the whole Zach Roloff incident where he claimed publicly that he'd received no money from TLC for his time on Little People, Big World.

There's a long long history of child stars being exploited by their parents.

On an unrelated ponder (which came from thinking 20+ stars = substantially less income per person) TLC have their pick of 20+ people in this family and yet they haven't managed to find anyone remotely interesting. Their sole gimmick is producing humans........ they have nothing else going for them at all.

Ahhh fair enough!  Even as I typed it, I thought Boob and J'chelle probably were banking all that money to pay for eighteen 2000-guest weddings (we all know Jana will never marry).  But who knows.

I really do think the new show HAS to have contracts with the adult stars now.  Even Joy is 18.  They would have had to have signed their own contracts and received their own pay for those shows.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived