IGNORED

Counting On Season Two- Part 3

samurai_sarah

I just finally watched the rest of the episode, and Jeebus Hussein Christ, that football camp plotline was awful.  First off, if I sent my kids to a football camp and it was just a ruse to get Jeebus into their life (with sermons at halftime), I'd be PISSED.  Ministry is supposed to be about listening to the kids, but all they wanted to do was talk AT them.

When Bin got all pissed that his team lost, I nearly blew a gasket.  Seriously???  He should be showing about how it's not if you win, it's how you play and if you had fun, but no no no, he was all Mr. Competetive pissed his kid dropped the pass and they came in second.  Unreal.

I really truly think Bin and Jessa are a match made in heaven. They are as boring as each other, feed off each others' imbicility and don't seem the least bit annoyed with the other one.  Good.  Goes to show there is someone out there for everyone.  Two dimwitted peas in a pod.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, montyollie said:

I just finally watched the rest of the episode, and Jeebus Hussein Christ, that football camp plotline was awful.  First off, if I sent my kids to a football camp and it was just a ruse to get Jeebus into their life (with sermons at halftime), I'd be PISSED.  Ministry is supposed to be about listening to the kids, but all they wanted to do was talk AT them.

When Bin got all pissed that his team lost, I nearly blew a gasket.  Seriously???  He should be showing about how it's not if you win, it's how you play and if you had fun, but no no no, he was all Mr. Competetive pissed his kid dropped the pass and they came in second.  Unreal.

I really truly think Bin and Jessa are a match made in heaven. They are as boring as each other, feed off each others' imbicility and don't seem the least bit annoyed with the other one.  Good.  Goes to show there is someone out there for everyone.  Two dimwitted peas in a pod.

Here is the ironic part though I can remember back when Ben and Jessa begin courting that JB and Michelle took them to a miniature golf course to see how Ben would react when he would lose apparently it shows that Ben is a good actor and that he does have a temper when losing a game. 

Hmm Duggars maybe that whole dating thing is a better option as you actually get to see the person's character when there aren't chaperones.

13 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

What was that little slip from Ben about playing football in HS. I thought he was homeschooled, too.

And what Tonitown parent in their right mind would send their kid to a camp run by the Duggars?

This ep. just highlighted all the ignorance this cult exemplifies. Even about pasta? I hope Jinger did some

homework before she met the Grandma. First thing granny's gonna say is, "Jeremy, couldn't you find a girl w/some meat on her bones?" and the second will be "Jeremy, she's as dumb as a stick."

To be fair in lots of states I think (I don't know about Arkansas specifically though) schools have exchanges so that homeschool kids can participate in their local high school's activities, plus there are like Pop Warner type town leagues and stuff for various ages. And I am sure that some godly christian summer camp or something put on some games to help the boys man up or... whatever.

8 hours ago, MsSaylor said:

Seriously why the hell does Jill always get some freaking huge mansion to live in when she blows into town for a few months?! Meanwhile Benessa is stuck in the small ass house and Anna's kids have what exactly? That's seems a little unfair. I mean none of them deserve a free house but I don't get why Jill seems so favored. 

Jill has always seemed like the golden child. I don't know if that contributes, but it could. I think her personality is very much like Michelle's and JB and Michelle have a soft spot for her because of that (just a guess/ISB, though). I do know Jessa said she preferred a smaller place once... not that there is much room for her to feel comfortable complaining if she was unhappy with her lot.

9 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

To be fair in lots of states I think (I don't know about Arkansas specifically though) schools have exchanges so that homeschool kids can participate in their local high school's activities, plus there are like Pop Warner type town leagues and stuff for various ages. And I am sure that some godly christian summer camp or something put on some games to help the boys man up or... whatever.

Jill has always seemed like the golden child. I don't know if that contributes, but it could. I think her personality is very much like Michelle's and JB and Michelle have a soft spot for her because of that (just a guess/ISB, though). I do know Jessa said she preferred a smaller place once... not that there is much room for her to feel comfortable complaining if she was unhappy with her lot.

I know homeschool kids here participate in both community sports and highschool sports and highschool band.

A few years ago a little girl who was homeschooled participated in our local soccer program. She was killed in a freak camping accident. It was devastating to our whole community. I have seen lots of good examples of homeschooling. I imagine the really messed up ones are the ones we never see or know exist until they end up in the news.

12 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I think a lot of it is the golden child and some of it is needing to show Derrick how good it could be if he stays. Bin isn't going anywhere anytime soon, Derrick has a degree and real world skills, not to mention desires to travel to far off lands for mission work. Living  in a run down 2 bedroom house with his wife and kid(s) isn't as appealing as  living in a Mcmansion.  I can also see jessa wanting a smaller place, much easier to clean 900 sq feet vs 3000+ she doesn't  really clean that little house what she going to do with 3x the house. 

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I've always had a soft spot for Joseph.  He seems like a very nice young man...but has never struck me as one of the brighter Duggars.

Now there's an oxymoron. Emphasis on "moron."

2 hours ago, Scribber said:

We homeschool, and my daughter participates on the local ice hockey team that is associated with the local high school.  (And a few of her homeschooled friends participate in other various sports and/or music courses.)

I have a hockey player too. Now if only I could get the smell out of his gear!

Aww guys, I kinda like Bin in this episode. I know its fake, but it the episode was successful in making Benji seem invested in the community. He also seemed less stuffy than his in-laws. Don't get me wrong, he's still a fundie fuckboy but he's trying. 

I'm also starting to think that Bin isn't an airhead, he just has a problem with expressing himself eloquently (I also have that problem)

But I've had 5 hours of sleep in the past 3 days and like 10 assignments due so my brain is fried (which I think is standard for a leghumper). 

I saw last nights episode and noticed a few things.  Jessa front hugging Flame and Jinjer front hugging again at the airport.  I'm starting to wonder if Jing & Jessa aren't kind of starting to get over some of the asinine rules that daddy has for them?  It is obvious that Jinjer have very different rules than J&B and J&D had for their courtships, It also seems that she is getting a lot of "unsupervised" time with him.  It is really obvious to me anyway, that Jeremy will NOT be doing JB's bidding. He may be playing the "courting game" but once they are married she's his and they will be doing their own thing. 

I wonder how the next courtship will go? I know one of the boys JD or Joe will probably be next but I wonder if he will be more or less lax with each one or if he will try and reign the kids in tighter to keep more kids for leaving his grips. 

Is broomball a southern thing? I went to college in VA, right near DC and a lot of fraternities do it for rush events and I never heard of it till I went to college.

Also it could just be the editing, but did Ben actually do any coaching? Cause I just saw the retired pros.

21 minutes ago, candygirl200413 said:

Is broomball a southern thing? I went to college in VA, right near DC and a lot of fraternities do it for rush events and I never heard of it till I went to college.

Also it could just be the editing, but did Ben actually do any coaching? Cause I just saw the retired pros.

I've lived in 3 states in the south....and never heard of broomball in any of those states.  I know they've mentioned it on the show, but I don't even know how one plays broomball!  

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Wait...Joseph said if Jana were a color she'd be "the perfect color?" Wat?

I took it as Jana would be the perfect color because she is seemingly "perfect" at everything? or just wants to be perfect in everything. I dunno, maybe I'm giving too much credit to Joseph. 

Hmmmm I wonder who is the smartest Duggar..........

On 9/20/2016 at 5:40 PM, Buzzard said:

Counting on - "SURPRISE!" No one believes that any of this is a surprise - part 3

Bin tells us flame and crystal are coming to have a cook out.  We're treated to shots of flames "music."  

I totally read this as "coke out," which would both surprise me and explain some things about Bin

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

<SNIP>

I wonder how the next courtship will go? I know one of the boys JD or Joe will probably be next but I wonder if he will be more or less lax with each one or if he will try and reign the kids in tighter to keep more kids for leaving his grips. 

I wonder what will happen if one of the boys relaxes the courtship rules, as we all know that women are the root of all evil ;) Will an incoming girl get grief for allowing front hugs?

We played broomball in gym class in Canada, so it's not exclusively southern.

Broomball was a big thing among homeschoolers in NWA for a while. It was on Friday nights and it was like the big social event of the week even for the people who didn't actually play. I went a few times and the Duggars were always there (even the babies) and were really into it. JB in particular was almost oddly competitive.

I haven't heard of broomball anywhere else, but we've got the Jones Center in NWA which has an ice rink and which is mostly free.

I had never heard of Broomball until I watched 19 Kids.

As for the smartest Duggar, I always assumed Josiah just based on the Creation Museum episode, it looks like there was at least something going on in his head when the producers asked him if he thought his parents sheltered him.

But that's not saying much. Now I'm more amused to know Ben got all pissy over losing his staged football game. 

I graduated from a Mid American Conference university that has a hockey team, as several do, and I know broomball was huge at my school and the one my cousins attended. I subbed on broomball teams a couple of times. In order to have a broomball league, your university needs to have an ice rink.

22 hours ago, Dubiousclaire said:

Jinger cannot be that ignorant about pasta... She had been shown on camera grocery shopping... All you have to do is glance at the packages and you would know at least a few different noodle shapes. And I would think baked ziti would be a common big family dinner... easy to make a big pan. 

And I agree about the football terms...I watch maybe 30 minutes a week and I knew all of the terms. They have to know at least some of them. 

It angers me that they think (taught) playing dumb is attractive. I wanted to smack those girls. 

And the fake drama over not knowing how many kids would show up to the camp. B!tch please.... every camp my kids ever attended required prior sign up, payment, and signed waivers. 

I have to give Jinger a pass on both counts, linguini and football terms. Hell, I may be older than lots of the posters here and have cooked for at least 47 years and if called to explain about the differences in spaghetti and linguini I would fail miserably. Why, don't really give a Rat's Ass basically. We don't lean toward too many Italian dishes at our house and don't eat out Italian very often, just our preference, not ignorance. Football....yeah, we watch it some at our house. We do not throw terms around but cause again, Rat's Ass. All I care about it the team I'm rooting(?) for wins. I fear if Jinger knew the terms very well she may be labeled too masculine. 

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Broomball was a big thing among homeschoolers in NWA for a while. It was on Friday nights and it was like the big social event of the week even for the people who didn't actually play. I went a few times and the Duggars were always there (even the babies) and were really into it. JB in particular was almost oddly competitive.

Bolding is mine; I added it because why doesn't that surprise me? NO ONE is going to upstage JB, prove to be a better player, or allow him to lose, especially not one of his children.  Also refer to: that paintball fight where he was determined to win.

41 minutes ago, pamplemousse said:

Bolding is mine; I added it because why doesn't that surprise me? NO ONE is going to upstage JB, prove to be a better player, or allow him to lose, especially not one of his children.  Also refer to: that paintball fight where he was determined to win.

JB competitive? I never would've guessed that. Especially when he literally threw Josiah out of his way in that goose hunting episode then got all pissy that Joseph and Josiah shot some and he didn't. :pb_lol:

Dude has tiny dick syndrome, he must always be the alpha male in everything. 

32 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

JB competitive? I never would've guessed that. Especially when he literally threw Josiah out of his way in that goose hunting episode then got all pissy that Joseph and Josiah shot some and he didn't. :pb_lol:

Dude has tiny dick syndrome, he must always be the alpha male in everything. 

Speaking of competitive, remember the manly games between smuggles and TFDW?  Jeremy vs Bin vs Derick is bound to happen, likely for the bachelor party. It will be a riveting episode as the wimmenz sit on the sidelines and support their man in the manly contest.

Will it be a taco eating contest? (go ahead snicker, the pun will be lost on them but TLC would totally do it)

Will it involve a race or soccer?

How about naming all the duggars in order? - Likely not, that would require naming he who shall not be named... 

I'm trying to get caught up on the new episodes, and it's really striking to me the degree to which Jinger and Jeremy are modifying the courtship rules. They are able to talk a LOT, via Skype or FaceTime, and presumably Jinger is alone for most of the conversations (except when the cameras are present). They may be able to exchange a lot of information that Boob and ME-chelle are not able to censor.

Also, the so-called "side hugs" are often front hugs, as far as I can see. I'd guess Jinger is defrauding Jeremy all up and down his body. In addition, they STAY hugging, instead of having just a brief embrace, which poor old Jill and Derick, and Jessa and Bin, were obliged to do.

It's baffling to me why hand-holding would be verboten during courtship, since what Jinger and Jeremy are doing looks (to me) considerably more intimate than hand sex.

Also, when Jinger was hugging Jeremy at the airport, and then Jim-Boob pulled her away, Jinger then pulled away from him and went right back to hugging Jeremy. To me, within their tiny world, this almost looked like disobedience on Jinger's part.

Boob is clearly bothered by it all. But he's not able to prevent it. And I'm entertained by the thought that Jinger and Jeremy are setting a new and somewhat more permissive model for the younger kids when they court.

I've been MIA here due to moving house and I'll health outing me in and out of the hospital, but I'm nearly caught up on the Counting On episodes. God help me but I've been watching more than 1 episode a day, painful. 

Regarding the most recent episode, I can't snark at them for not knowing the pasta types. To me the difference between spaghetti and linguini is one is round and one is not round. But my pasta descriptions are 'the swirly one', the 'not so swirly one' and the 'pointy one'.

I love watching Bin interacting with other non funny adults. His stupid really shines through.

4 hours ago, sansan said:

I have to give Jinger a pass on both counts, linguini and football terms. Hell, I may be older than lots of the posters here and have cooked for at least 47 years and if called to explain about the differences in spaghetti and linguini I would fail miserably. Why, don't really give a Rat's Ass basically. We don't lean toward too many Italian dishes at our house and don't eat out Italian very often, just our preference, not ignorance. Football....yeah, we watch it some at our house. We do not throw terms around but cause again, Rat's Ass. All I care about it the team I'm rooting(?) for wins. I fear if Jinger knew the terms very well she may be labeled too masculine. 

I know what a field goal is but I don't know what a 2 point conversion is. I know the position names but can only for sure can pick out the kicker and the quarterback. I give exactly zero fucks about football so I don't know and don't plan on knowing.  I had linguine mix up with fettuccine so I couldn't tell you 100% what linguine is, aside from a different shaped noodle.  I liked Joy's answer of "fancy spaghetti".  

But I agree that girls playing dumb is annoying. And I'm forever blown away at the girls not knowing how to cook. Its like you have ONE job, housewife, and you can't even do that right. SMH

1 hour ago, Analytica49 said:

I'm trying to get caught up on the new episodes, and it's really striking to me the degree to which Jinger and Jeremy are modifying the courtship rules. They are able to talk a LOT, via Skype or FaceTime, and presumably Jinger is alone for most of the conversations (except when the cameras are present). They may be able to exchange a lot of information that Boob and ME-chelle are not able to censor.

Also, the so-called "side hugs" are often front hugs, as far as I can see. I'd guess Jinger is defrauding Jeremy all up and down his body. In addition, they STAY hugging, instead of having just a brief embrace, which poor old Jill and Derick, and Jessa and Bin, were obliged to do.

It's baffling to me why hand-holding would be verboten during courtship, since what Jinger and Jeremy are doing looks (to me) considerably more intimate than hand sex.

Also, when Jinger was hugging Jeremy at the airport, and then Jim-Boob pulled her away, Jinger then pulled away from him and went right back to hugging Jeremy. To me, within their tiny world, this almost looked like disobedience on Jinger's part.

Boob is clearly bothered by it all. But he's not able to prevent it. And I'm entertained by the thought that Jinger and Jeremy are setting a new and somewhat more permissive model for the younger kids when they court.

He's loosing some serious control and that is bugging him.  Also Jing kind of has him over a barrel and I think she knows it. If he does anything to try and stop her and Jeremy she can rat him out faster than Josh can type Ashleymadison. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived