IGNORED

Maxhell- Part 4

samurai_sarah

I don't doubt that Melanie is over the moon about her pregnancy. This is the lifestyle she enjoys. Isn't she the one whose family is a little less fundy? I am sure she will happily continue to get pregnant regardless of the risk. I think most fundy women would as this is part of their belief system.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jana814 said:

It's so weird reading Nathan's descriptions of the kids. I think he thinks that because they are being raised in a home where Jesus is the focus they won't act like regular kids 

His descriptions of the kids are better than what we usually get from the Maxwells: "Happy Birthday (fill in the name)! We are so blessed to have (Name) in our family. He/she has a serving love for the Lord Jesus and a hunger for His World."

At least Nathan can actually tell us something about each kid's personality to make him/her sound different from the rest of the children.

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I don't know if they'd use Elizabeth because it's Ruthie's middle name. They may do, of course. 

They've given the ABC girls virtues/Christian values as middle names (Hope, Faith, Mercy- mercy is not actually listed as one of the seven virtues). They could use Prudence or Charity if it's another girl. Or do a Bates and use Justice or Courage for a girl or a boy (although they seem more a strong manly name. Not trying to be sexist btw, just that they're virtues more prized in a boy than a girl in fundieland).

I don't think they'll use Elizabeth because it's too close to Bethany, especially since Bethany is apparently called both Bethy and Betsy. They also can't use Ellie as a nickname because Sarah used it for her dog. So I'm thinking Esther, Emily, Emma, Eva.

I get the feeling that they didn't really want this pregnancy. They were probably just too brainwashed to use birth control and this them going "oh shit we thought the baby-making would be over by now - yeah yeah it's a blessing and we're thankful for it but God, child-rearing is *real*, people". Of course they have to say they're happy, and Nathan's going through the motions of praising his existing sprogs and Melanie's attitude, but there is no elation there.

I don't think any of the Maxwells realise that we evil birth control users love and value our children much more precisely because having them was a conscious choice rather than something that happens to us whether we want it / are ready for it or not.

I wish them a safe pregnancy and healthy baby, but also hope it's their last one.

On 9/28/2016 at 11:28 AM, SPHASH said:

Steveus also counseled Prissy against becoming an EMT cuz he might see a women's  boob or crotch.

I wonder what he'd do if he or a son got testicular cancer.  Cos diagnosis and treatment involves all sorts of people - male and female - examining and feeling your bits.  For normal people, that's just a medical examination with nothing weird or sexual about it, but Maxwell minds don't work that way.

1 hour ago, CyborgKin said:

I wonder what he'd do if he or a son got testicular cancer.  Cos diagnosis and treatment involves all sorts of people - male and female - examining and feeling your bits.  For normal people, that's just a medical examination with nothing weird or sexual about it, but Maxwell minds don't work that way.

I think they'd just make a big song and dance about only allowing males to examine them.

How old is Abby? That description of her making parfaits with maple syrup instead of sugar to be health-conscious sounds more like it was written about a teenager than a young girl. Free Abby!

18 minutes ago, alba said:

How old is Abby? That description of her making parfaits with maple syrup instead of sugar to be health-conscious sounds more like it was written about a teenager than a young girl. Free Abby!

I think she's ten or so.

And on the one hand, I think it's good to teach kids about nutrition and making healthy eating choices, but on the other, having seen how the Duggars are about diets, I'm wondering if she's being taught those things so she'll stay thin and pretty for her future headship.

I think she's ten or so.

And on the one hand, I think it's good to teach kids about nutrition and making healthy eating choices, but on the other, having seen how the Duggars are about diets, I'm wondering if she's being taught those things so she'll stay thin and pretty for her future headship.

Oh, okay, that's a bit older than I thought she was (I thought she was around 8 or so).

I totally agree that kids should learn about nutrition and healthy living, as long as it's age-appropriate. I don't know what IS age-appropriate at Abby's age, but it felt like Nathan was talking about a much older girl.

Anyone who knows more about child development than me want to weigh in?

10 minutes ago, alba said:

Oh, okay, that's a bit older than I thought she was (I thought she was around 8 or so).

I totally agree that kids should learn about nutrition and healthy living, as long as it's age-appropriate. I don't know what IS age-appropriate at Abby's age, but it felt like Nathan was talking about a much older girl.

Anyone who knows more about child development than me want to weigh in?

She was using the Nourishing Traditions book for kids; NT is super granola (WAPF). What he said about Abby didn't sound off to me. I've known super capable tens and immature tens, heck I've had both myself ;-) I don't think they're teaching the girls to avoid sugar to stay skinny for husbands. It seems people can't win in this department....they're either starving their children or making them fat. 

I'm sure Melanie is thrilled to be having another baby. She doesn't look too thin to me, and I never think she looks very happy in posed photos, only candids. 

I don't doubt that both Melanie and Nathan are actually very happy to be having another baby, and love and cherish each of their children very much (though I did find Nathan basically admitting a bit of favoritism toward Christina kind of amusing), but that post definitely at least acknowledges that parenthood isn't always a bed of roses, and adding one more child to the mix certainly complicates things more. Not to mention Melanie's health issues with each pregnancy, which I'm sure is always at the forefront of their minds. If there is one thing that I can respect Nathan for, it's that he has always seemed a little more real than the rest of his siblings and especially his parents in not only talking about his children, but about challenges in life--losing a child likely does that to a lot of people. I just hate that Steve had to infect his family so badly with such a fear-based belief system, because if it weren't for that, then the NateMel Maxwell branch of the family might just be your average fundie lite or even just conservative Christian family that is willing to use birth control if it means saving Melanie's life. The God I know and love wouldn't hate Melanie or cast her into hell for going on the pill or even getting a tubal ligation.

By the way, I believe Abby is actually eight years old, but I wasn't really concerned about the bit with the parfaits either.

Abby is indeed eight. And Nathan will be 40 on December 5. 

My name guesses are Elijah/Esther, or Benjamin/Danielle, depending on how their theme continues. Slim pickings for "D" girls' names, these days. They could use Daphne, since it's a place name like Bethany, but that would be quite a stretch.

Wait. Did Steve allow Nathan to post on the blog that not all parenting methods work for everyone?? I thought if you used the tried and true Maxwell methods your children would turn out like perfect little robots.  Nathan used 'independent' or 'free' to describe one of his children!! One that doesn't like rigid schedules. How did this get okayed for the blog???

in some ways he was passive aggressive in describing his children's behaviors. In other ways he seemed genuinely surprised he could connect to them. Telling of his relationship with his own parents I think. Steve seems like he can't relate well to kids and got angry with them a lot and Terie was distant and sad a lot. 

Steve probably can't relate to kids because he never allowed his own kids to be kids. He banned everything fun and didn't allow them to be around other kids for fear they might learn their bad habits. 

15 hours ago, AliC said:

Chris and Anna used Joy for Lydia's middle name (though that was in dedication to Susannah since Lydia was born in between her birth and death anniversaries), so them also "borrowing", if you will, a name from another sibling is probably no problem. Soooo many girls' names go with Grace, too.

The comments are beginning to roll in. Whoever responded to Nicole is either bad at lying or simply very forgetful--Nathan and Melanie DID find out Andrew's sex. He's the only one of the grandkids to have had it revealed ahead of time. Also, there's a Kim C. down lower in the comments. Don't think it's THAT Kim C. (Kim Coghlan), but interesting if it is!

I noticed that, too! I remember because they had cupcakes with blue frosting to celebrate. That is so odd. 

1 hour ago, halcionne said:

Abby is indeed eight. And Nathan will be 40 on December 5. 

My name guesses are Elijah/Esther, or Benjamin/Danielle, depending on how their theme continues. Slim pickings for "D" girls' names, these days. They could use Daphne, since it's a place name like Bethany, but that would be quite a stretch.

Ha! I've been wanting his birthdate for a while now! Where did you find it? 

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Dinah or Deborah. But Daphne is more cute and fitting for a baby girl. 

I really like Daphne. But I swear I can't hear that name without thinking about Scooby Doo! lol

57 minutes ago, AliC said:

I really like Daphne. But I swear I can't hear that name without thinking about Scooby Doo! lol

Every time I hear it I think of Frasier. 

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Ha! I've been wanting his birthdate for a while now! Where did you find it? 

I saved this gem from our Who's the Daddy thread on Steve. 

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Dinah or Deborah. But Daphne is more cute and fitting for a baby girl. 

I like Daphne (and I meant to say it's a BIBLICAL!!! place name, not just any old place name ;)), but let's be real, they won't use it. I checked the SSA top 1000 names* and the only remotely Christian D names right now are Danielle, Daphne, Dolores, Denise. Oops, Dorothy and Deborah are there. And so is Delilah, hehe. Most of those options are too old-fashioned or too Catholic. Delilah is downright inappropriate for a Maxwell, I'm sure.

*All of their kids' names are in the top 1000--top 500, actually--for the year preceding their births, except Susannah.

Also, Angela K.'s congratulations and note that her own baby girl is due in six weeks didn't get posted. Angela tactfully omitted the fact that she hasn't married Rob K. yet. Have you been watching TV again, Steve????

That's awesome, halcionne! I remember that thread, but not that page. Interesting that Mary isn't on there. 

It's going to be interesting to see where they go with the baby name. I really think they are going to have a hard time with this one, boy or girl. 

I just thought of something.  Since the blog started in 2006 there had only been one year Wonder Woman hasn't been knocked up, 2015.

11 hours ago, Foudeb said:

I think they'd just make a big song and dance about only allowing males to examine them.

I would just love it if one of the males happened to be gay---

4 minutes ago, Granwych said:

I would just love it if one of the males happened to be gay---

Or if one of the Maxwell men were secretly gay.  Prissy and Steveus come to mind.

Just now, SPHASH said:

Or if one of the Maxwell men were secretly gay.  Prissy and Steveus come to mind.

Maybe that's why Stevie cried at the sight of cleavage--he was skeeved out. 

Do they make a big deal about female only health professionals when Melanie is pregnant?

Zsu had a post describing all male obs as perverts* but it was all okay for her to have male consultants when she was pregnant with Boaz and his twin.

*at the same time as condeming women who worked. But then, hypocrisy is the Fundie's wont.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived