IGNORED

Judge thinks rape can be prevented if women just keep their knees together.

livinginthelight

.... What the fuck did I just read?

I can't claim moral high ground though. Like @doggiesaid, it would likely take public outcry to get even a slap in the wrist in the states. At least the Canadians are putting this ass through judicial hearings - though its deplorable that he ever stated what he did. Hopefully they remove him, hopefully the young man is punished for his crimes, and hopefully the young woman is able to find healing and peace.

Testifying at the hearing Friday, Camp offered this defense for his comments: "a non-existent" knowledge of Canadian criminal law.

The South African-born judge said he didn't receive training on sex assault cases. In his legal career, he focused mostly on contract and bankruptcy cases, he said.

"My colleagues knew my knowledge of Canadian law was very minimal. It was non-existent," he said at the hearing Friday. "Please remember I wasn't in this country through the 1960s, '70s and '80s."

Dafuq?

How come he became a judge if he knows nothing about the law?

Ugh. He should be removed from the bench.

I don't buy "didn't understand criminal law" as an excuse. Basically everything I know about the criminal justice system comes from CNN or Law & Order, but even I know that's not okay, so surely any legal professional should!

Ugh, this man is an embarrassment to our legal system.  I hope they kick his sorry ass off the bench.  

What an awful thing for him to say!  

He incorrectly referred to the woman throughout the trial as “the accused”.

This pretty much sums up his true thoughts on the matter. In his eyes, she was the criminal, not the victim. 

26 minutes ago, Toothfairy said:

Why won't we put blame on the person raping?

Because that might have a negative impact on the poor guy's life.  Think of his future!  :pb_rollseyes:

I have been following this, and the so-called Honourable Judge Robin Camp since it came to light. Living next door in Saskatchewan, I was interested in this.

Some things to know:

1. Even in his hearing, her referred to the victim as "the accused"
  2. His appointment is a totally political - as a long standing supporter of the Conservatives, he was appointment by the party, and his appointment as a FEDERAL court judge was one of 45 judges that were NOT properly vetted before they were appointment, as our former PM, Stephen Harper was handing out jobs left, right and centre before losing the election and retiring to join private enterprise. 
  3. The victim was a Cree woman - racism from a judge from his part of the world, having grown up in apartheid South Africa, would not be surprising,
  4. He told the victim that "pain and sex" sometimes "go together"
  5. He is not the only judge in Alberta to make "mistakes" like this. Google Judge Michael Savaryn or Judge John McClung.

The fact is, he is unlikely to be debarred as this process is essentially a joke. The article below explains why. 

http://www.macleans.ca/news/robin-camp-case-who-judges-the-judges/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived