IGNORED

The Seewalds, Part 10: Having my baby

samurai_sarah

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I can't think of a good reason why all the money DOESN'T go to JB somehow, to dish out like salaries. Like a PP said, the kidults don't have much in the way of day to day expenses. Plus, if the kidults get a small "salary" from JB Enterprises instead of tens of thousands of dollars from TLC directly, their taxes are cheaper and they can claim other things more easily such as discounted medical bill payoffs...

My choice for Seewald #2   Magnalina.  It's biblical, unusual, and she would have "that" reputation to  live up to.  Yes, I know just what the preported view of Mary M is...

If it is another boy, I am convicted that he, too, should have the great honour of bearing the surname of a famous and brilliant Christian who is massively respected across the globe and who is, obviously, beyond critical reproach.

Therefore I submit for consideration: Ham Seewald.

27 minutes ago, Timetostoplurking said:

Ok, just name him Jesus Christ and be done with it!!

Fun fact: Jesus Christ Allin was the punk singer GG Allin's birth name. He got GG because his younger brother couldn't pronounce "Jesus".

Maybe he'll be Benjamin Seewald, Jr. Sierra posted a baby shower photo on IG, but something tells me it's for someone else. I can't imagine Jessa or Ben being okay with Dr. Seuss (not fundie enough).

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

She has a baby this time around. She may not have as much time to focus on it as she did last time when it was just her and Bin. I know that's the case for a lot of parents at least - and may or may not be the reason mom never really finished adding photos to my younger brother's baby book. :pb_lol:

LOL, I'm the oldest of three - my baby book is bursting at the seams... the games they played at the baby shower, the napkin from the baby shower, tons of photos, first lock of hair (also first lock of hair I cut myself), the instructions they gave mom at the hospital, the hospital bracelets, the blanks filled out on every page... everything. My sister who is 2 and a half years younger than me has quite a few things in her book, but not nearly as much as mine. Hers has some blank pages, especially toward the end. Our youngest sister's book (she is 13 months younger than my middle sister) has her name, an ultrasound photo, the photos they took at the hospital, and not much else!

I am also really looking forward to whatever name they choose. I almost hope it's terrible, partly for entertainment value and partly so poor Spurgeon isn't stuck with a terrible name all alone. Though I could see them letting Ben name the boys and Jessa name the girls, which could be funny all by itself.

I think it's probably easier now, with cellphones and the like, to document subsequent children.  Our kids' baby books are the same. In fact, I don't remember if we even attempted one for our third. And their photo albums (back when you put actual photos in actual albums), well, let's just say that our youngest's didn't need as many pages. 

On the upside, because we are as old as actual fuck (thanks, @Destiny), we RENTED a video camera and 'filmed' more of our third guy. We have him taking his first steps!  Of course, we can't watch that because VHS. :happy:

You can get VHS tapes put onto DVD or another memory thing, @Fascinated. We meant to get some of my parents' Super 8 reels put on DVD for their 50th anniversary, but we never did. :pb_redface:

We have as many, or more, pictures of our younger child, because of digital cameras and phones, but we have many, many less prints of Thing 2, because they're all on digital cameras and phones. Sigh.

1 minute ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

You can get VHS tapes put onto DVD or another memory thing, @Fascinated. We meant to get some of my parents' Super 8 reels put on DVD for their 50th anniversary, but we never did. :pb_redface:

We have as many, or more, pictures of our younger child, because of digital cameras and phones, but we have many, many less prints of Thing 2, because they're all on digital cameras and phones. Sigh.

As it so happens, our kids and DIL gave me a wrapped box for my birthday. I opened it and saw...nothing!  But, in my hand, enveloped in the tissue, was a usb stick and a dvd.  They had transferred many of our vhs tapes of our kids (but not number three walking - that will come later).  After dinner we all watched it together. It was so awesome. I cried (after they explained what it was).  It is one of my favourite gifts I've ever received!

Just now, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Ages ago my aunt got the Super 8's (where the baby videos of me are!) put on VHS, and just recently my mom had a TON of VHS tapes (including those) put on DVD so we have them again. I'd recommend getting that done ASAP, I'm thinking the more time goes by the less equipment there'll be for that and the more it'll cost.

I recently had to make a video for my church's anniversary, and went through the photos in the archives and the DVDs my mom had... I noticed that there were a few formal photos from the early 1900's (and one before), nothing from the '40s at all, a steadily increasing amount after that including TONS of photos (some on CDs) from the '90s and early 2000s, and absolutely nothing from 2009 on. All I had of those were what I had on my own hard drive that I had taken, and a couple pics from the blog kept on the youth group's summer trips. There are way, way more photos being taken now, but they're much easier to lose as they're all digital and few if any get printed, especially of the fun snapshots.

Also your username makes me smile. I loved Farscape!

Even worse than the equipment being hard to get is the possibility that the oldest reels from the late 50s may just be disintegrated. :my_cry: Being a procrastinator is not a good thing.

And thanks, @Alisamer , about my screen name! :my_biggrin: I loved Fascape. (I loved Firefly a bit more, but the WWJCD? wordplay came to mind and no browncoat or Blue Sun wordplays came to my mind.)

1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Even worse than the equipment being hard to get is the possibility that the oldest reels from the late 50s may just be disintegrated. :my_cry: Being a procrastinator is not a good thing.

And thanks, @Alisamer , about my screen name! :my_biggrin: I loved Fascape. (I loved Firefly a bit more, but the WWJCD? wordplay came to mind and no browncoat or Blue Sun wordplays came to my mind.)

I JUST watched Firefly recently. Went to put in another disk to watch more, and there... wasn't one. :my_sad: I knew that going in, but still. Both shows were great!

1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

If you're in America, you can print digital photos at target for like 12 cents a photo

46 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

If you're in America, you can print digital photos at target for like 12 cents a photo

Yeah, procrastination plus a period of being pretty broke means we have a big backlog. Time to pick the very best pics are not worry about the rest for now. :)

20 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

She is a pro now she already know what to do and everything. Is n 2. 

I think it is the fact that she is filming and probably doesn't want to share

10 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@SassyPants,  I love that about the saved baby shoes!

Ok 

I have a box of used vhs tapes

days episodes 1989-90 j/j

and felicity episodes :)

willi ever throw it away

re transference I spent for my boss like $400 to transfer vhsto DVDs. It can be done. In fact my found those old old white little pictures that are square from her wedding 47 years old. I just had like 20 made to paper cost like 20$ but it took longer than an hour.

Um. Baby books. One had one... it got fairly detailed until he was about six months old. 

Two had one, and there was so little information in it that I threw it away in embarassment after I copied the information into another source.

Three and Four came to us as pre-schoolers, so they have none, either.

And their photo albums? One has the most, with 7, but he is the oldest.

Two has five, bursting at the seams.

Three and four have four, but I am way behind on scrapbooks ... say four years?

15 hours ago, season of life said:

Maybe he'll be Benjamin Seewald, Jr. Sierra posted a baby shower photo on IG, but something tells me it's for someone else. I can't imagine Jessa or Ben being okay with Dr. Seuss (not fundie enough).

They probably only know the phrase "a person's a person, no matter how small" (and now Dr. Seuss's widow is pissed the hell off that the anti-choicers co-opted that). Dr. Seuss taught morals like tolerance, social justice, being creative, individuality, and not being a prissy dick about trying new things. If the Duggars read any Dr. Seuss, the morals sure didn't take.

My parents have photos of me and my brother as little kids, but we are very badly organised and so they're all over the place. My granddad is the one with all the albums... right from '66 when my aunt was born. The photos were in albums up until- ooh- end of 1999 (when my brother was a baby) and now they're in labelled boxes, the kind you get when you get your photos developed. I love looking at those albums. I get to see my mum and aunt as kids (mum has changed quite a lot, aunt barely at all) and also photos of me, at events which I don't or barely remember. I don't know what will happen to them when my grandparents die (please not soon!). Maybe I can claim them? Or we'll divide them up. 

Mum does have a box which she keeps some mementos in, like my hospital bracelet and so on. We also had a red health record book each to detail doctor visits and so on which I think are still issued for babies (is there something similar in the US?) 

And who knows what Jessa will name the baby. Sproul? I would suggest Phillips but that's too close to a normal name. Gothard would probably be a little too weird even for them but it'd be funny if they had a little Gothie. Or maybe she'll pinch Jill's idea and use Selah for a girl. 

I'm the youngest of 4 kids, so I consider myself lucky to have a baby book, even if it isn't very full. :) I'm also really fortunate that one of my grandmothers made photo albums for each of her grandkids. She spent awhile (not sure how long) preparing to move out of her house and into a retirement home. She took all the photos my parents sent her over the years and divided them up into photo albums for all her grandkids. Less stuff for her to move and 6 happy grandchildren! I loved all my grandparents, but I always especially admired the way she planned ahead as much as she could for her senior years. (Plus she gave me her Corning mixing bowl set from the 1950's. They've never been in a dishwasher and still have all their paint. I love to think of her when I use them. :my_heart: )

Spoiler

images-4.jpg

Mine are a little more scratched and chipped, but still awesome! 

Anyone looking to print digital pics - if you can stand the spammy emails, sign up for shutterfly emails. Occasionally (every few months I'd say?) they'll offer ~100 free 4x6 prints.

1 hour ago, wotdancer said:

Anyone looking to print digital pics - if you can stand the spammy emails, sign up for shutterfly emails. Occasionally (every few months I'd say?) they'll offer ~100 free 4x6 prints.

Plus, the Shutterfly app offers unlimited free 4x6 prints like 90% of the time.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived