IGNORED

Glenn Beck says Mel Gibson told him the Jews stole his Jesus movie

47of74

Glenn Beck apparently is telling people Mel Gibson - he who wants to take the church back to the 1550s - is whining that the Jews stole his Jesus movie;

thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/07/glenn-beck-mel-gibson-told-me-jewish-people-stole-his-christ-movie.html?via=twitter_page

Is Mel Gibson up to his old anti-Semitic tricks?

If multimedia entrepreneur Glenn Beck is accurately recalling a recent conversation he says he had with the perpetually embattled Gibson, it could not come at a worse moment for the 60-year-old movie star and Oscar-winning director, who is busy promoting his World War II epic, Hacksaw Ridge, and hardly needs a public revival of his distasteful past.

On his radio show last Friday, and in a news story posted on GlennBeck.com, Beck claimed The Passion of the Christ director was still blaming Jews for his troubles during a 90-minute heart-to-heart, after Beck attended a late August screening of Gibson’s widely praised new movie, which reportedly received a 10-minute standing ovation this week at the Venice Film Festival.

According to Beck, Gibson claimed to him that “Jewish people” had stolen a copy of his Jesus movie more than a dozen years ago and used it to attack him and make his life hell before the film’s release.

fp.jpg

Mel Gibson and Glenn Beck -- two ingredients in a toxic stew.

From the last part of the article referenced above:

Beck, meanwhile, said Gibson seemed mystified by all criticism. “He said, ‘I would understand it if it happened after [his drunken outburst in Malibu], but he said, no, this was before.”

Beck told his listeners: “I went with one of my friends who’s Jewish. I got the impression, and so did he, that when he was at the traffic stop, he wasn’t talking about all Jews. He was horribly angry. He had so much anger in him from all kinds of stuff. He was twisted. He was drunk. He was high, and he was lashing out at that group of Jews—not Jews in general.”

Beck added: “No excuse for it. I’m not lessening it or anything else, but I don’t think it was what we thought it was. Could be.”

And this supposedly makes it better?  He was lasing out at this group BECAUSE they were Jewish. 

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Mel Gibson and Glenn Beck -- two ingredients in a toxic stew.

From the last part of the article referenced above:

And this supposedly makes it better?  He was lasing out at this group BECAUSE they were Jewish. 

And Glenn's got a Jewish friend.  Leaving aside for the moment that he has friends in the first place...

Isn't that the excuse of every bigot and homophobe out there?  "I've got a <characteristic> friend."  Such as a black, gay, Jewish, etc friend.

There are times it's okay to say "I have a Jewish friend." Such as when buying Hannukah wrapping paper when you celebrate Christmas. This is not one of those times.

Last year or so, I saw a thread on Fish Eaters complaining about how Hollywood wouldn't "forgive" Mel Gibson and let him have his career back. What the Fish Eaters crowd doesn't understand is that there are really only two things Gibson needs to do to get back to where he was: 1. Demonstrate some minimal level of professionalism 2. Demonstrate that he can make money. Until he can get his rage issues under control, no one is going to want to work with him.

8 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Last year or so, I saw a thread on Fish Eaters complaining about how Hollywood wouldn't "forgive" Mel Gibson and let him have his career back. What the Fish Eaters crowd doesn't understand is that there are really only two things Gibson needs to do to get back to where he was: 1. Demonstrate some minimal level of professionalism 2. Demonstrate that he can make money. Until he can get his rage issues under control, no one is going to want to work with him.

And not (a) get loaded and drive drunk, and (b) not call female police officers offensive names like "sugar tits", and (c) not blame certain groups (racial, sexual, religious, etc) for all the troubles in one's life.

18 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

And not (a) get loaded and drive drunk, and (b) not call female police officers offensive names like "sugar tits", and (c) not blame certain groups (racial, sexual, religious, etc) for all the troubles in one's life.

You and I know that, but the Fish Eaters crowd thinks that there's a conspiracy against Gibson because he made the Passion, especially from "the Jews."

3 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

You and I know that, but the Fish Eaters crowd thinks that there's a conspiracy against Gibson because he made the Passion, especially from "the Jews."

I have not read there in years! Seems like some things never change. I have seen CAF shift a bit over the years.

Yeah you're right. Every time someone even thinks of looking at a reich wing Catholic the wrong way that crowd starts in about how it's a Jewishmasoniccommunistlesbian conspiracy against them.

The Gibson film claims to come directly from the Bible, but is derived from a 19th-century book titled "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ," an antisemitic book written by a nun who had "visions."

13 hours ago, Hane said:

The Gibson film claims to come directly from the Bible, but is derived from a 19th-century book titled "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ," an antisemitic book written by a nun who had "visions."

This is why I've always thought it was weird how evangelicals rallied behind the Passion, even though it contained a number of very "Catholic" elements that would ordinarily offend their Protestant sensibilities. I guess the need to defend a movie about Jesus from attacks by evil secular, Jewish, multicultural elites was more important than the question of whether the movie in question was "Biblically correct" by fundie evangelical standards.

This is why I've always thought it was weird how evangelicals rallied behind the Passion, even though it contained a number of very "Catholic" elements that would ordinarily offend their Protestant sensibilities. I guess the need to defend a movie about Jesus from attacks by evil secular, Jewish, multicultural elites was more important than the question of whether the movie in question was "Biblically correct" by fundie evangelical standards.

I remember going to watch the film and the various local fundie groups had tables set up outside the theater where the film was being shown complete with tissues and various pieces of literature.  I think they were more interested in the showings that the local Catholics were.

The film came out back in my Catholic days and as I recall the response of the local clergy was if you really want to go watch what was pretty much a snuff film go for it, but it's not really necessary to be a good person.

7 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I remember going to watch the film and the various local fundie groups had tables set up outside the theater where the film was being shown complete with tissues and various pieces of literature.  I think they were more interested in the showings that the local Catholics were.

I knew a lot of fundies got off on the film, but I didn't realize they did it quite so literally.

3 hours ago, Terrie said:

I knew a lot of fundies got off on the film, but I didn't realize they did it quite so literally.

After all, the film was torture pron.  I think Gibson took a look at the what happened to ol Billy Wallace in the last few minutes of Braveheart and wanted to make that last two hours.

I've been looking for information on Gibson's private church, and of course, there's not much out there. He seems to be an "independent traditionalist" who doesn't have any ties to the SSPX or the SSPV. There are "independent priests" flouting around, many of whom claim to be ordained through renegade bishop Thuc of Vietnam who was promiscuously ordaining all comers for awhile, and I think this is where Gibson's priest probably came from:

http://www.traditionalmass.org/articles/article.php?id=60& (criticism of the Thuc line from a SSPV priest)

I guess the real mystery is who are the other parishioners at Gibson's church? It's obviously by invite only, but I find it unlikely that there are very many other Hollywood A-listers who are traditionalists, much less sedevacantists. They probably all sign nondisclosure forms as a stipulation of being allowed to join, so we'll never know. 

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I've been looking for information on Gibson's private church, and of course, there's not much out there. He seems to be an "independent traditionalist" who doesn't have any ties to the SSPX or the SSPV. There are "independent priests" flouting around, many of whom claim to be ordained through renegade bishop Thuc of Vietnam who was promiscuously ordaining all comers for awhile, and I think this is where Gibson's priest probably came from:

http://www.traditionalmass.org/articles/article.php?id=60& (criticism of the Thuc line from a SSPV priest)

I guess the real mystery is who are the other parishioners at Gibson's church? It's obviously by invite only, but I find it unlikely that there are very many other Hollywood A-listers who are traditionalists, much less sedevacantists. They probably all sign nondisclosure forms as a stipulation of being allowed to join, so we'll never know. 

I can't really think of any celebrity Catholic traditionalists or sedevanctists off hand.  Probably the closest I can think of would be Jim Caviezel - who played Jesus in Passion.  But even he isn't as far right at Gibson is.

As for independent priests they were either ordained by someone like Thuc or they were were regularly ordained and then got into a scrape with their Bishops and were invited not to continue their ministry in the official diocese.  This was the case with the priest who had been in charge at Gibson's church, one Fr. Clement Procopio.  He had formerly been a priest of the Phoenix diocese who pretty much told Bishop Thomas O'Brien off when the good Bishop said no to having Latin Mass in the Diocese. 

Here's the letter he fired off to Bishop Thomas O'Brien.  (Caution: this is a Catholic fundie site so take anything on there with several tons of salt).

http://www.angelusonline.org/index.php?section=articles&subsection=show_article&article_id=2204

I also found this on Wikipedia about Gibson's private church

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Holy_Family_(Agoura_Hills,_California)

On 9/9/2016 at 9:46 AM, 47of74 said:

And Glenn's got a Jewish friend.  Leaving aside for the moment that he has friends in the first place...

Isn't that the excuse of every bigot and homophobe out there?  "I've got a <characteristic> friend."  Such as a black, gay, Jewish, etc friend.

I always wonder why those <characteristic> friends (if they even exist) stick around or would want to be friends with these bigots. I mean, OK, maybe I'd be Mel Gibson's Jewish Friend if it meant getting to go to some sick parties, but most bigots aren't Mel Gibson.

I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised that Mel's star has fallen in light of his wackadoo/abusive/unprofessional behavior, especially after cases like Roman Polanski, Charlie Sheen, Chris Brown, Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, and Sean Penn, who are/were allowed to blithely continue their careers despite being horrible people and/or who constantly burn professional bridges by being horrible people.

37 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

I can't really think of any celebrity Catholic traditionalists or sedevanctists off hand.  Probably the closest I can think of would be Jim Caviezel - who played Jesus in Passion.  But even he isn't as far right at Gibson is.

As for independent priests they were either ordained by someone like Thuc or they were were regularly ordained and then got into a scrape with their Bishops and were invited not to continue their ministry in the official diocese.  This was the case with the priest who had been in charge at Gibson's church, one Fr. Clement Procopio.  He had formerly been a priest of the Phoenix diocese who pretty much told Bishop Thomas O'Brien off when the good Bishop said no to having Latin Mass in the Diocese. 

Here's the letter he fired off to Bishop Thomas O'Brien.  (Caution: this is a Catholic fundie site so take anything on there with several tons of salt).

http://www.angelusonline.org/index.php?section=articles&subsection=show_article&article_id=2204

I also found this on Wikipedia about Gibson's private church

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Holy_Family_(Agoura_Hills,_California)

Thanks for the info on Gibson's priest. The Angelus is the mouthpiece of the SSPX, but isn't associated with them, presumably because the group doesn't take a sedevacantist position (that's why the SSPV was established). Officially, the SSPX says that the chair of St. Peter is filled, but the current occupant is a mistaken about many issues and probably a heretic. They were saying this when John Paul II was pope, so it didn't just start with Francis. I guess Gibson lucked out in that Procopio not only left his diocese at the same time he was looking to start a church, but that said priest was a fellow sedevacantist. Gibson is living every traditionalists' dream, which is to have a private chapel that exclusively celebrates the Latin Mass and the ability to handpick  who gets to attend. However, I have to wonder if they would overlook his flaws if he wasn't the only famous trad/sedevacantist. Based on my own experiences among traditionalists, Gibson and his kids would be considered way too worldly:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/07/18/mel-gibsons-wild-kids.html

I know Mel's movie, The Passion, was enormously successful and I don't mean to take anything away from that remarkable achievement.  However, I lived in a small town at the time of the movie's release (Big Bear, for those who live in SoCal) and our little town had a three screen movie theater.  I had heard that the movie was playing to sell-out crowds and, yes, all the seats were sold in our town.  One evening we went to see a movie (not The Passion) and we peeked in the theater The Passion was playing in.  We were shocked to see about a dozen people and a whole bunch of empty seats.  Turns out a local doctor was buying all the seats and giving away tickets to his patients and anybody else who was interested in going.  I don't know if that happened in other places but it sure skewed the numbers in my town.

Thanks for the info on Gibson's priest. The Angelus is the mouthpiece of the SSPX, but isn't associated with them, presumably because the group doesn't take a sedevacantist position (that's why the SSPV was established). Officially, the SSPX says that the chair of St. Peter is filled, but the current occupant is a mistaken about many issues and probably a heretic. They were saying this when John Paul II was pope, so it didn't just start with Francis. I guess Gibson lucked out in that Procopio not only left his diocese at the same time he was looking to start a church, but that said priest was a fellow sedevacantist. Gibson is living every traditionalists' dream, which is to have a private chapel that exclusively celebrates the Latin Mass and the ability to handpick  who gets to attend. However, I have to wonder if they would overlook his flaws if he wasn't the only famous trad/sedevacantist. Based on my own experiences among traditionalists, Gibson and his kids would be considered way too worldly:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/07/18/mel-gibsons-wild-kids.html

That's the thing with fundies who gather in groups - there always seem to be some who think that the fundie group they're part of isn't fundie enough for their tastes.  The SSPV folks think the SSPX weren't sufficiently traditionalist enough so they broke away from the SSPX.  They had to go back V to find another Saint Pius.

A lot of traditionalists were still saying the same things about Benedict XVI that they said about JP II.  I think even after Benedict tried to offer them an olive branch by loosening the restrictions on the Latin Mass and taking steps to bring the SSPX back in to the fold.  They still didn't think he was going far enough for them.  Even if Benedict had declared Vatican II null and void that probably would not have been enough.

8 hours ago, Becket70 said:

I know Mel's movie, The Passion, was enormously successful and I don't mean to take anything away from that remarkable achievement.  However, I lived in a small town at the time of the movie's release (Big Bear, for those who live in SoCal) and our little town had a three screen movie theater.  I had heard that the movie was playing to sell-out crowds and, yes, all the seats were sold in our town.  One evening we went to see a movie (not The Passion) and we peeked in the theater The Passion was playing in.  We were shocked to see about a dozen people and a whole bunch of empty seats.  Turns out a local doctor was buying all the seats and giving away tickets to his patients and anybody else who was interested in going.  I don't know if that happened in other places but it sure skewed the numbers in my town.

I think the theater where I saw the movie wasn't even 1/4 full.  Granted I had seen the movie about two weeks after it came out but I don't think too many older Catholics were interested in seeing it around here. 

It's being reported that Mel Gibson's newest girlfriend is pregnant:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/mel-gibson-expecting-9th-child/story?id=42152780

I wonder how the Fish Eaters and their ilk will respond. If any other celebrity was "fornicating" and having children with a bunch of different women, two of whom he never married civilly or otherwise, they'd just use that person as evidence of the depravity of modern culture. But since Mel is "one of them," they'll probably try to explain it away.

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/mel-gibson-expecting-9th-child/story?id=42152780

I wonder how the Fish Eaters and their ilk will respond. If any other celebrity was "fornicating" and having children with a bunch of different women, two of whom he never married civilly or otherwise, they'd just use that person as evidence of the depravity of modern culture. But since Mel is "one of them," they'll probably try to explain it away.

It's like back in 2008 when the McCain campaign announced Bristol Palin's pregnancy. Conservatives had been busy harping on unwed mothers, and then once Bristol's pregnancy was announced, they were tying themselves in knots to make her pregnancy a positive thing. :pb_rollseyes:

They're probably congratulating him that he still has some swimmers.

Archived