IGNORED

Maulucci Family Missionaries - Maintenance-free children for days

picklepizzas

So I was boredly sifting through JRod's latest post and noticed a series of pictures with the Maulucci family, missionaries to Bulgaria. they have 11 children and have been in bulgaria for years. I found their website and facebook and was immediately sucked in. i'm seriously sitting here with a bowl of popcorn. i searched for them on FJ and couldn't find anything, so i thought i would share some of their greatest hits here and invite everyone to join me on this journey down the rabbit hole. 

My favorite post so far: The tale of their journey back to the US on furlough.

In which the patriarch 

- fails to bring the proper documentation as they cross borders

- doesn't plan to buy his infant a ticket for the journey until they get to the airport at 6 am (spoiler alert: this plan goes poorly)

- books apartments for the family and forgets to verify their addresses; ends up sending teenage sons to stay alone in an apartment several streets away from them in a foreign city 

- gets pulled aside for random security checks and compares his plight to WACO

Then there's the post where he extols his wife's greatest qualities, including her wifely submission, that she never complains, and their "crazy sex life"; The post where he brags about how his 11 children can "literally go days without maintenance" as part of his suffered metaphor about the family as a machine; and the post where he implies orphans will all grow up to be rapists.

What's interesting is that many of the posts almost seem to have a message I respect - he's very focused on paying attention to your children as individuals and cherishing the ones you have rather than looking to the next, and insists that children are not free slave labor...but then he throws in these crazy comments like the rape or 'maintenance free children' comments that make me go :56247953c05d2_32(6):

on the other hand he writes an impassioned post against missionaries who grift (it's like he's met john shrader in person!)...although i can't yet figure out how their family is supported in the mission field without depending on donations...

anyways, enjoy! :)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the rescue ferrets away for the weekend...? A girl's gotta know what her options are before diving in....!

Thanks for sharing - this should be fun!

ooh, and this post is also fun: feminism is the worst (of course), but specifically: 

Lie #2 is that happiness is found in the lie of the feminist movement.  Eve was an over-bearing feminist who wanted to be equal with, not just her husband, but also with God.  She was deceived.  Adam was not.  It is written in the Bible so you must agree.

and his wife doesn't complain because: 

my baby is not calling mama every third day or her girlfriends to…well, let’s be Christian about this…murmur to them about how difficult it is to be with me.  She is too busy loving our kids, cooking our food, massaging my back, rubbing my feet, and unloading our boat of fulfillment to…murmur…to somebody else.

wut. 

I am dipping my toe into this particular pool.... love this bit in referring to making whoopie ...  "Cars, buses, outside, at the beach, crowded parking lots – what happened to the twinkle in our eye as Christians?"  What do the Bulgarians think of Americans having at it all over town?!

Just reading that blog post... far out... "we don't do needy children".... the youngest is a baby... I'm sorry but this guy is full of it.

Oh @picklespizza, thank you!  I was lamenting how dull JRod has got, and now I can hurl myself down a new rabbit hole - I especially thank you for collating the Greatest Hits!

But I have to ask, is "unloading our boat of fulfillment" a euphemism for sex?

ETA How are they friends with the Rodriguii?  Or did they just meet them?  Because everything Maulucci patriarch says about "don't show off about the number of kids you have", "don't grift" etc makes me think he would hate the Rods!    Esp this one @picklepizzas linked to.

(I don't think I can read much of this - his "voice" is so curmudgeonly and grumpy.  Not a good thing to say about the part of the world he lives in, except when he's criticising other places!  Like this one, on American churches, there's a grudging "Europe is awful, but at least...")

(And what is it with his homogenous-Europe ideas?  Nowhere in Europe cares about time? Uh?)

Oh, one more thing - can you remember when they met the Rods, @picklepizzas? Because I'm actually wondering if this was written about them directly.  And much as I don't like this guy, I laughed out loud at this:

“Well, it wasn’t our choice.  God called us.”  (They say this with a nasally, condescending tone.)

Then ask God to give you a vehicle, not me!  Missionaries.  We are evangelists, not moochinaries.  Ridiculous.  Don’t get me started…

Is it a wonder that we can’t get descent young people to be missionaries when the only examples of the profession are professional beggars?!  Get back in your stinkin’ country, learn the language and work.  God will give you what you need.  Stop traveling the States raising money for this, that and the other.  Deep breaths, Maulucci…you are scaring the people.

What an interesting blog!  Thank you for linking it.  His book review page is worth reading.  I had to laugh at how he rates books, from "read or die" to "coma." 

He has a page about the churches of Buffalo, which he says is his family's greatest support base.  He lists reasons he appreciates these churches, including this:

NONE OF THEM HAD A TROPHY WIFE WHO HOBNOBBED WHILE THE PASTOR DEALT WITH US

So...what is this all about?!?

Great find @picklepizzas and thanks for the greatest hits.  

He thinks an awful lot of himself!  In no particular order:

• He's the greatest missionary whoever mished.
  • He doesn't believe in moochinaries - but he has 10 (he thinks, does he not know?) supporting churches in Buffalo alone.  
  • Just information not advice  - he and Katie dedicate 2 whole hours a MONTH to spend time with each child individually.
  • Didn't his God protect him from a random check at US Immigration?
  • I really don't want to know about his sex life, thankyouverymuch.
  • His ode to his wife was absolutely cringe-worthy.  

I have to rummage more in his blog.  He is so freaking arrogant and pretentious.  :lol:

50 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

What an interesting blog!  Thank you for linking it.  His book review page is worth reading.  I had to laugh at how he rates books, from "read or die" to "coma." 

He has a page about the churches of Buffalo, which he says is his family's greatest support base.  He lists reasons he appreciates these churches, including this:

May be Jill?

25 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

May be Jill?

On what planet would Jill be considered a trophy wife?

@Lurky Jill doesn't give any context for when they met, but it does sound like they just happened to meet for the first time when the maulucci's came to visit a church jill was at. However, the post about the moochinaries was written before they came back to the US so I doubt it's about jill

on the the other hand, per their facebook page , a couple of weeks before writing that post, Nick had gone on a three week trip to Malawi to visit with some missionary friends. a quick check of the map confirms that malawi is right next to - you guessed it - zambia. i 100% believe johnboy is infamous enough that the missionaries in neighboring countries have heard of him/tell disdainful tales of him. 

Katie has done such a superb job in engineering the unit, that our children can literally go days without maintenance.  They can cook, clean, keep the fire going, dress the little ones, change diapers, etc.  It is restful and gratifying to be part of the family unit.  No nagging.  We love our chill pills.  Take one once in a while.

They only have two girls (well, maybe three, if the infant is a girl).  Are they telling us that the teen and preteen SONS cook, clean, and change diapers????

I was thinking of Jill as trophy wife in the "missionary" world because she doesn't wear long denim skirts!! She does try to match colours and accessorise. 

Jill does look a cut above say Meechelle and whatshername Maxwell, even with the 1980s look going on.

I can't believe I'm saying this!!

I'm pretty sure the Trophy Wife thing is about someone married to a pastor...  & @picklepizzas,I hope you're right re the Shraders re the vehicle!  I find Patriarch Maulucci really interesting for all the snide backbiting comments that are clearly about specific people, and I'd love to be able to join his dots to families we talk about

ETA:  He writes poetry!! 

http://rhapsodyinbluejeans.com/category/poetry/

Patriarch Maulucci is as judgmental and catty as they come - and about his own clan!  It does sound as though he is picking on people he knows in person.  I very much doubt he is any better than they are, though.  

This is interesting.  I tracked a comment on his diatribe thoughtful criticism of IFB pastors and pastors wives.  A pastor called Tom Brennan has written a critique of IFB.   @formergothardite, have you heard of this?

Here's Tom Brennan's blog http://brennanspen.com/#/home and this is the book https://www.amazon.com/Schizophrenic-Tom-Brennan/

I'll try to get it from the library.  

http://rhapsodyinbluejeans.com/2016/08/13/the-virtues-of-a-virtuous-woman/

his ode to his wife is... interesting. He loves her because she doesn't want to move back near her parents? Creepy. He loves her because she loves him? Creepy. The children are "incidental", but the fact that she actually loves her kids (rather than them being a burden) means he loves her? Hmmmm. 

And the "crazy sex life" in crowded parking lots? Ugh. 

1 hour ago, bal maiden said:

http://rhapsodyinbluejeans.com/2016/08/13/the-virtues-of-a-virtuous-woman/

his ode to his wife is... interesting. He loves her because she doesn't want to move back near her parents? Creepy. He loves her because she loves him? Creepy. The children are "incidental", but the fact that she actually loves her kids (rather than them being a burden) means he loves her? Hmmmm. 

And the "crazy sex life" in crowded parking lots? Ugh. 

No to mention the picture, where he is distracted by his phone as his wife cuddles adoringly next to him

Ugh can they not with the crazy sex life? how do they even manage with eleventy kids?

He is a typical fundie. He's right, everyone else is wrong; he's better than you and them and everyone else. 

Better Christian, better husband, better father, better missionary. 

Best. Man. Ever.

And he named not one but TWO kids after himself- one with the first name Nicholas and one with the middle name Nicholas. Cause that's normal.

8 minutes ago, NotALoserLikeYou said:

Do they have a denomination or home church that oversees them?

I was wondering that too.  And what exactly does he do ? Why is he traveling out of the country so much? Other than mentioning a sermon,  I couldn't figure it out.  

This guy is perplexing. He watched a non-fundie movie and cried. He actually expresses emotions on several occasions. He has decent sass towards the worst of the missionaries (jesus said and thou shalt write passive aggressive blog posts about those of my followers you disagree with). He's also not a horrible writer. He has decently reasonable shit written on kids/actually appreciating them (side eye at the Duggars perhaps). Yet all the fundie patriarchal bullshit is still there front and center. @fundiefan is spot on in their assessment I think. I wonder what he'll do when his kids cut ties with him upon their own marriage. Because that's what a good Christian does (or is it just the women?) His shit about Malawi is such typical white savior bullshit. What does this guy do in Bulgaria exactly? He writes about the tough areas but doesn't seem like he's actually working to make things better for people. He basically advocates a poverty tour. I don't get missionaries. at all. Handing out bibles is not helpful. 

"They will never know the comfort of a bed.  They will never take a warm bath.  They will never feel carpet under their feet.  They will never sit and eat a full meal at a restaurant or in the mall.  They will never sit around a table on chairs at a holiday with their family.  They will never have a birthday cake.  They will never have a new piece of clothing."

Wow.. It's very "do they know it's Christmas time at all" white savior shit. You have nothing, you're important blog fodder to me  because jesus died for you.

I predict this guy will either write a post about how we're all evil, heathen feminists or he'll come here and directly engage with us. Either way, this could be amusing! 

Archived