IGNORED

The Hodnett Family Converting Scotland

Palimpsest

6 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

I wondered that after seeing the horror film music video. Deputation video. :puke-front:

Would permission have to be asked from the families? I'm not sure of copyright laws etc at all.

I'm guessing they got the photos from news sites, which means they aren't the property of the families but I also doubt an organisation like the BBC (or, hell, even the Daily Fail) would actually give permission for their intellectual property to be used for something like this. I think it's quite likely they stole the pictures.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's my thinking entirely @alba kind of similar to Britain First using Lee Rigby's awful murder to further their cause despite his family publicly condemning them.

Awful, awful, sickening behaviour :( 

46 minutes ago, alba said:

Right?!

I still can't work out how Tressa Middleton's actions are evidence of any kind of sin on her part. She was raped by her brother and gave the child up for adoption because she couldn't care for it. Isn't that exactly what fundies say rape survivors should do?

My guess is that they didn't even both to do the most basic google of her - and like you I have no idea what they think Tressa should have done instead.  Vile people.

58 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

That's my thinking entirely @alba kind of similar to Britain First using Lee Rigby's awful murder to further their cause despite his family publicly condemning them.

Awful, awful, sickening behaviour :( 

Hold the fuck up.  When did they do that?

11 hours ago, jas said:

I did notice and wonder why she called it Londonderry, whether she made a decision to use that name or was unaware of any cultural significance. She was just trying to say from one end of the island to the other, so she could have done it without mentioning "stroke city" at all.

In the republic it is always called Derry by everyone and in official news, media etc. So people would not mind but would be likely to notice it being referred to as Londonderry. 

There's so many places further North than the Maiden City (which is technically in a different country than she is 'missioning' in'. It would have made more sense to say Letterkenney. Even if she wanted to use something from NI why not Portrush or something which is on the actual North Coast 

Derry and Londonderry are used interchangeably in NI media etc so I suppose it isn't as noticable to me

This reminds me-- I have a classmate who is wanting to go to to New Zealand with her husband as full time missionaries. I would also like a free vacation to New Zealand, but not like that.

Not because they have skills that are in need there, but because of Jesus. I don't even understand this thinking. If I were going to be a missionary, I'd try to go somewhere where my skill set was desperately needed (no one needs classicists though, unfortunately) and try to lead by example. 

Not a particularly popular approach though, more's the pity.

I kinda love how the Learn About England page has a link to the Wiki article on our football team. (Y'know, soccer). Our football team is SHITE. Even you Americans did better than us in the last World Cup, and football/soccer is nowhere near the biggest sport like it is here. When the Olympic women's hockey final went to penalties, commentators were going "At least it's not against Germany." It's a standing joke here that if we end up in penalties against Germany, they will always beat the crap out of us.

I must confess to being related to some missionaries, one of whom was once part of a snowboarding outreach program.

Sigh. The struggle to not snark at Thanksgiving is real.

Scotland?  Why Scotland?  Did the dad spin a globe, close his eyes, stop the globe with an index finger, and peek underneath?  Is that how they picked Scotland?  Or were they trying to be different from all the other missionaries, the ones who go to Central America or Africa?

And they've been planning this trip since 2011  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aX4XJtGthc

This!  Our food and drink scene is great too!

You know these assholes will only be shopping the American import shops and complaining about the prices!

I told Mr Alba about this family and he said they'll probably get arrested if they start preaching outside a football match. One can only hope.

24 minutes ago, Peas n carrots said:

You know these assholes will only be shopping the American import shops and complaining about the prices!

True that.  I had forgotten about that :-/  and woe betide anyone who tries to explain about export\import tax.

1 minute ago, Gobsmacked said:

And theatres.

and music!  and people, and and and...SCOTLAND'S JUST BRILLIANT, OKAY?!

4 minutes ago, kassie said:

As a Scotsman they have nooo idea what they are going to come against. Weegies don't take shit. ;)

What's a weegie?

Ohhh.  Never heard that before, lol.

There is a dictionary's worth of slang that is nearly specific to Glasgow. As someone above mentioned try looking up some Maw Broon comics online as a Glaswegian 101.

1 minute ago, Peas n carrots said:

There is a dictionary's worth of slang that is nearly specific to Glasgow. As someone above mentioned try looking up some Maw Broon comics online as a Glaswegian 101.

Yeah, I don't live in Glasgow so my slang is pretty limited. Now, if you want to test me on Leith slang I'm good.

I told Mr Alba about this family and he said they'll probably get arrested if they start preaching outside a football match. One can only hope.

Giving the great Big Yin credit on this one;

The match attendees will wonder why those religious fanatics don't have a football team!

1 minute ago, Peas n carrots said:

I am Scottish, and I live in Glasgow (though not Glaswegian), so I know all about that  :pb_lol:   .  And I love the Broons, lol.

I am Scottish, and I live in Glasgow (though not Glaswegian), so I know all about that  :pb_lol:   .  And I love the Broons, lol.

I'm so sorry had no idea *embarrassed* I am American, but married to a Scot and my MIL and her family are all Glaswegian - I dearly love the city and over the past 10 years have been lucky enough to spend a good deal of time there. The people are some of the greatest I've ever met, and take shit from no one. That is perhaps why I'm enjoying the thought of these moronic proselytizers trying to preach to the unsaved of Scotland - they are going to get their asses handed to them in a way they so richly deserve.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived