IGNORED

The Hodnett Family Converting Scotland

Palimpsest

I remember a comic when I was a kid in England called the Broons or something. My cousin said I'd never be able to understand it, so of course I ploughed through it just to show him. Written in a really thick brogue. Good luk Hodnetts, you have no idea what you're in for. And yes, I'd be willing to bet that almost all of the people there know about Jesus, even if they choose not to believe.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, imokit said:

Can I be called to mission in Hawaii...

Dude! Do you feel the burden to be led to the islands? Dude, this is SO surf ministry!  Dude!  

1 hour ago, imokit said:

and find a church to fund that move?

It's easy!  Just get your video going, showing Godless surfers on the waves, WHO DON'T KNOW JESUS and won't be raptured!  End with, "Please, can't you help?"   

I am moved to convert Italy. Particularly the Tuscany region. On horseback. Please give so that the Italians may know Jesus.

I don't think these people are funny, they make me angry. Ireland has enough holy rollers thank you very much, you can't move for tripping over churches/chapels round here. 

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm also wondering what they are packing in their enormous shipping container.  American food and soft loo paper probably - because *everyone* knows Scotland doesn't have shops, fridges, or indoor plumbing.  I'm hoping they run into trouble when they realize that European wiring is 220 volts.

Bibles, because we don't have any of those in the Heathen UK?  I'm sniggering, imagining their reception in oooh, let's say Gorbals - but also, as other people have said, Glasgow's got a long history of religion-based conflict, so Americans coming in to tell Glaswegians they're Doing It Wrong should be interesting to watch!

Apparently, their God sends men, women, and children to Hell. Nice. :pb_rollseyes:

(As an aside, during my fundie-light days, I always wondered what would happen to, say, a child of a Jehovah's Witness family who died before s/he had chosen to join.(A JW ex-coworker lost her 14-year-old son in a drowning accident; I don't know if he'd been baptized).

I am very much enjoying the "Learn about England" page of the Vandenhurks - and the strange dichotomy of talking about poverty etc at the top, and tourist info at the bottom...  And the page about Queen Victoria to make things relevant to modern Brits!

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Scotland was going to be my country to go save. :sad:

These folks are going to Ireland to save those heathens. 

http://www.themckinleys.org/?page_id=427

NO NOT IRELAND; if they go to the Republic of Ireland that means they'll have free movement into Northern Ireland and we have enough religious nuts of our own (see Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster) without adding American ones too!!! Atleast there's a little bit of water between NI and Scotland

43 minutes ago, urban teacher said:

I am moved to convert Italy. Particularly the Tuscany region. On horseback. Please give so that the Italians may know Jesus.

Ohhh this sounds like my type of thing. Can I join you? 

All those wine drinkers in Tuscany need to hear how satanic alcohol is 

30 minutes ago, Kak said:

I don't think these people are funny, they make me angry. Ireland has enough holy rollers thank you very much, you can't move for tripping over churches/chapels round here. 

They should make you angry.  I alternate between mocking these "missionaries" and raging at them myself.  

They are ignorant buffoons.  If they wander into trouble I have no sympathy for them.  They do occasionally get arrested for disturbing the peace and preaching hate.  Serves them right.

They also cry persecution - this guy was arrested in Glasgow for hate speech.  

http://www.scotsman.com/news/preacher-is-fined-for-homophobia-1-1365514

The repulsive Tony Miano makes a habit of getting arrested in Europe.  He puts all the videos up on youtube.  I won't link to them and give him hits but you can look for yourselves.

My all time favorite "missionaries" to mock are the ones who are asking people to help them buy a house and move to the Bible Belt. I think the one family who claimed Atlanta, GA didn't know about Jesus failed massively. There was a local family who went around to IFB trying to raise money to move to another town in NC because they claimed they were "called" to be a missionary there. They had little luck convincing people to pay for this "mission trip". 

2 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

He seems like a clever young lad to me.  Faced with an overwhelming amount of bottom-shelf liquor, he wisely reaches past them all for the sole bottle of decent French wine. 

True, I don't see any of Scotland's fine single malt whiskeys so the kid is doing the best he can.

ETA: Yes, this is high snark material but the whole thing is so vile -- not unlike the filth that Anjem Choudary has spewed over the years.

Just watched one of the McKinley's videos. 

MULLINGAR HAD NEVER HEARD THE GOSPEL BEFORE THEY CAME? 

i seem to remember going to a youth residential weekend with my church to Mullingar. To a church of Ireland church in...you'll never guess...Mullingar! 

They also have a lovely Chapel down there 

19 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

Just watched one of the McKinley's videos. 

MULLINGAR HAD NEVER HEARD THE GOSPEL BEFORE THEY CAME? 

i seem to remember going to a youth residential weekend with my church to Mullingar. To a church of Ireland church in...you'll never guess...Mullingar! 

They also have a lovely Chapel down there 

But sure CofI and RC have never heard the Gospel. Except for every single Sunday and any weekly attendances:my_rolleyes:

I want to see any of these people in Ireland or Scotland, out with their kids, trying to explain why every second person is using the word f*ck as part of their normal everyday conversation. 

5 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

But sure CofI and RC have never heard the Gospel. Except for every single Sunday and any weekly attendances:my_rolleyes:

I want to see any of these people in Ireland or Scotland, out with their kids, trying to explain why every second person is using the word f*ck as part of their normal everyday conversation. 

Not to mention the fact that RE is considered a 'core' subject in ROI and NI!  

Funny enough the Gospel came up a few times in Church and school 

oh gosh id love to see them try their style on street missionary work on the weekends anywhere in ROI or the UK. They'd faint with the amount of booze and swearing 

It is amazing how God lays it upon these people and part of that includes begging for money.  I find it so incredible that God is always telling people to do things that often coincide with doing things they wanted to do anyway.   

And it is also interesting that God doesn't seem to lead these people to real jobs to pay their own way in life.

Apparently God has a real vested interest in his chosen few begging money from others.  Interesting.  Perhaps if my religious upbringing had focused on how if I listened really hard God would tell me to move to the French Riviera and start a go fund me page so others would pay for it, I might have stuck around while longer.

5 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Thank you for this thread Palimpsest. If the family do make it to Scotland this October that will give them time to settle in before  visiting Edinburgh in time for the Christmas festivities!! They have just missed the brilliant Edinburgh festival. 

I am sure they will have a wonderful vacation paid for by the poor deluded sheeple from the  supporting churches. 

Lots of castles, lochs, islands and fantastic beaches for them to visit. Mountains to climb and food to eat. There won't be much time left to preach to the great unwashed,feral doomed to hell Scots.

I sincerely hope that something goes wrong with their visa applications.

Shoot, let them get there, go to Loch Ness, and get swallowed up by Nessie.  No, never mind, Nessie would vomit them up immediately.   Another Jonah tale,  aye?

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

I am very much enjoying the "Learn about England" page of the Vandenhurks - and the strange dichotomy of talking about poverty etc at the top, and tourist info at the bottom...  And the page about Queen Victoria to make things relevant to modern Brits!

The English are also well used to foreign visitors and you can expect them to be friendly and polite. One thing to bear in mind is that many mostly elderly English people are terrified of giving offence and dislike lying, and so will try to avoid potential pitfalls by sticking to safe (often boring) topics of conversation and occasionally doing the tricky job of avoiding offence by evading a question which worries them, while also trying not to offend you by point blank refusing you an answer. This sort of thing generally wears off as people get to know you. The younger generation are often quite different as far as giving offence is concerned.

I've read a lot of bull (on that page and others) and misinformation but the bolded takes the cake - go speak to elderly old person on a council estate and they will say exactly what they think and sometimes deliberately provoke you.  Plenty of them will also very happily spurt out racist remarks (mainly against Muslims & eastern Europeans).

England has similarities to the deep South - superficially polite while great at the hidden barb.  The key difference is the modesty rules - boasting is a big no no.  Talking about doing something special or winning or having a talent is handled delicately so as to avoid it  Thus we are amazing at the humble brag, it isn't much but...

This is across all ages, though once reaching a certain age there is a feeling of entitlement.  This means people think they can say what they want with no filter.

It is the opposite of what was suggested.

53 minutes ago, calimojo said:

And it is also interesting that God doesn't seem to lead these people to real jobs to pay their own way in life.

Yes, this, exactly THIS.  And that they tend to have expectations for other people to support them at a fairly high standard of living. 

I'm still boggling about going to Ireland and trying to convert the Catholics to Protestantism...  because there's no problematic history of that, OH NO! 

I can't even...  The whole "this is a very religious town, but" no one does religion right is always downright insulting, but in Northern Ireland?? Yikes.

(And as my partner says, referring to Londonderry, rather than Derry, is a great start in trying to convert Catholics...)

I spend at least one weekend every three weeks up in Glasgow (#2 is an athlete and trains up there), and I'm torn between being angry that these dimwits are heading to one of my favourite cities, and mildly interested in hearing all about the 'persecution' when they inevitably get their ass's handed to them.

The arrogance of these people is outstanding but I think it will be a short lived mission. 

I was laughing so much that the McKinleys' biggest success seems to have been getting close to converting other missionaries!  I would love it if their fruitful conversation with the Imam ends with them converting to Islam...

...except who'd have thought?  According to their latest newsletter, all that came to naught! Though now they're trying to convert JWs?  But if I was a church funding them, their success rate seems to be 2 men having conversations with them, and not a single conversion..

...which makes me wonder - how much are these missionaries generally asking for?  With the cost of living so much higher in Western European countries than more "traditional" Mission grounds, plus airfares etc, the Return on Investment must be lower - especially when they are basing themselves in big cities like Glasgow. 

So,  a question for people who were/are involved in churches that fund missionaries - how do congregations decide which to support?  And for for these Missioncations to Western Europe, what does success look like?  What kind of stats should the Hodnetts etc be providing?  Or is it just seen as a one-off donation that is all about the giving, not about what happens as a result?

(I can't help it, I used to work in charities/public sector, so still am obsessed with evidencing success, measuring outcomes and Key Performance Indicators, so I look at the Hodnetts etc and just wonder what happens after the horror-movie-music videos that get them the cash.)

I'd be interested in this too. It's not like places such as the UK are completely empty of more fundamentalist congregations.

11 minutes ago, Lurky said:

And for for these Missioncations to Western Europe, what does success look like?  What kind of stats should the Hodnetts etc be providing?  Or is it just seen as a one-off donation that is all about the giving, not about what happens as a result?

3 hours ago, Lurky said:

Bibles, because we don't have any of those in the Heathen UK?  I'm sniggering, imagining their reception in oooh, let's say Gorbals - but also, as other people have said, Glasgow's got a long history of religion-based conflict, so Americans coming in to tell Glaswegians they're Doing It Wrong should be interesting to watch!

I want a ring side seat :beer: :beer: :beer: !

24 minutes ago, Lurky said:

So,  a question for people who were/are involved in churches that fund missionaries - how do congregations decide which to support?  And for for these Missioncations to Western Europe, what does success look like?  What kind of stats should the Hodnetts etc be providing?  Or is it just seen as a one-off donation that is all about the giving, not about what happens as a result?

Statistics? Budgets? Accountability?  Get thee behind me, Satan!  

Success is what they say it is.  These people don't crunch no stinkin' numbers.

I've never been involved with a church that funded these IFB fake missionaries (thank the FSM) but I got a real education reading and participating in the John Shrader threads.   He is a genius at this skulduggery and infuriates me as a former (medical) missionary kid.  

I truly recommend that rabbit hole and will ready a few rescue ferrets for you. John Shrader, missionary to Zambia, and Beyond is also the worst missionary ever.  

Basically, they persuade their local church to sponsor them (the sending church) and go on the road on Deputation for a couple of years with a video like the one posted here.  They preach at churches, have dinner with the pastor, and ask for a regular commitment to fund their mission to church plant.  They channel the cash through a clearing house to get non-profit status and Bob's your uncle.  The Sending Church is supposed to keep them accountable but they are rarely withdrawn or disciplined as far as I can see.  

Some (a few) of these missionaries may actually have something to offer the locals in developing countries in the way of education or material support.  The vast majority seem to have no skills or education other than their self-proclaimed hot-line to Jesus.  

They are leeches on the backside of the universe.  It is funny to think of them trying to convert the heathen, and resilient, Scots but they can do actual damage in some countries. 

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

I'm still boggling about going to Ireland and trying to convert the Catholics to Protestantism...  because there's no problematic history of that, OH NO! 

While in England last year, on his way to Zambia, Voddie Baucham shook his head over the vast numbers of the damned there:

The decline of Christianity throughout Europe has been well-documented. Here in England, church attendance is somewhere below 5%. Historic cathedrals stand empty, or converted into pubs. The people know nothing of Charles Spurgeon or D. Martin Lloyd-Jones. And worse, Islam is thriving. However, all is not lost!
These last few days have reminded me that God always has a remnant. The homeschool conference in Madeley was well-attended by enthusiastic men, women and children, eager to learn how to disciple the next generation more effectively. Response to this event was so substantial that the venue had to be changed!

After that, while in Northern Ireland, he appears to have spoken only to the elect.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived