IGNORED

The Hodnett Family Converting Scotland

Palimpsest

I just realized that the Hodnetts are about to inflict their vile presence on Scotland. Specifically Glasgow, if @Glasgowghirl wants to keep her eyes peeled for them.

I think they need their own thread because they are quite disgusting, but we can also use this thread to discuss other missionaries to Scotland and Europe in general.  I haven't checked up on most of my pet hates recently.

The Hodnetts plan to leave the USA on October 13th, and are doing some last minute grifting for things like Visas, a shipping container, and set-up cash.  They are still waiting for a sponsor for the visas, so let's keep our fingers crossed that there is a delay.

For your snarking pleasure - and infinite disgust at thir grifting tactics - here is their Deputation video: 

And their blog - look at the prayer letters: http://www.reachingscotland.com/

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm bringing @Lurky's post over from another thread to discuss it here:

I'm laughing out loud, because I really thought the WE. NEED. YOUR. slides would end in MONEY, because that's really what they're after - but I'm completely sickened by them using suicides in their grifting - vile, vile people.

(I'm also a bit weirded by the whole "FIVE MILLION!!!" part without any explanation of how 2 adults are going to reach 5 million people - but also the hypocrisy of their whole "Scotland's not all castles and countryside" part, then having the backdrop to their grift page being...  castles and countryside!  I'm in awe)

A serious Q, though - does anyone know what Missionaries think of the countries sending Missions to the USA?

What?  Those can't be missionaries.  Only people from the USA really know Jesus and the way to True Salvation.  Those people must be planning to overstay their visas and become illegal immigrants.  Or they are terrorists.  That's it.  Terrorists.

The Hodnetts really are awful.  The ignorance abounds.  I don't think they have much of a plan at all.  They think their presence is all that is required to convert the heathen Scots.

I'm also wondering what they are packing in their enormous shipping container.  American food and soft loo paper probably - because *everyone* knows Scotland doesn't have shops, fridges, or indoor plumbing.  I'm hoping they run into trouble when they realize that European wiring is 220 volts.

Scotland was going to be my country to go save. :sad:

29 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

but we can also use this thread to discuss other missionaries to Scotland and Europe in general.

These folks are going to Ireland to save those heathens. 

http://www.themckinleys.org/?page_id=427

Thank you for this thread Palimpsest. If the family do make it to Scotland this October that will give them time to settle in before  visiting Edinburgh in time for the Christmas festivities!! They have just missed the brilliant Edinburgh festival. 

I am sure they will have a wonderful vacation paid for by the poor deluded sheeple from the  supporting churches. 

Lots of castles, lochs, islands and fantastic beaches for them to visit. Mountains to climb and food to eat. There won't be much time left to preach to the great unwashed,feral doomed to hell Scots.

I sincerely hope that something goes wrong with their visa applications.

15 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Scotland was going to be my country to go save. :sad:

These folks are going to Ireland to save those heathens. 

http://www.themckinleys.org/?page_id=427

Fulfilling the Great Commission.  Say no more.

"Only 4% of the population attend any kind of Church".

We are probably even more deplorable than they fear, tbh.

According to the most recent social attitudes survey (2015, N: 1,228) 52% identified themselves as having no religion and two thirds of those who identify as religious say they 'never or practically never' attend religious services.

So, you know, good luck with that guys.

bonus - Proportion who say they belong to:

Church of Scotland: 20% (biggest fall since survey began

Roman Catholic: 15% (steady)

Other Christian groups: 11% (steady)

non-Christian groups: 2%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35953639

I still can't believing this is a thing.  I'm feeling a calling to spread the word in London.  If someone could pay for everything for me, I'd spread the word of Jesus real good. :P

4.8 million know NOTHING about JESUS !!!

BAHAHAHA out of a country of 5.3 million?  Do they imagine the Scots don't have access to TV, movies, radio, books, or even churches? 

I'm just imagining all the haggis-eating savages, puzzled looks upon their faces as they head to the chippy or the pub, "Who's this Jesus fella?  Never heard of him."

1 minute ago, bashfulpixie said:

I still can't believing this is a thing.  I'm feeling a calling to spread the word in London.  If someone could pay for everything for me, I'd spread the word of Jesus real good. :P

I am interested to know their strategy. Preaching in like-minded churches won't bring in any new people. So how is this going to work, exactly?

In fact, in general, how do missionaries reach people?

Fundy maths time! Apparently 4.8 million people know NOTHING about Jesus and 37% of Scottish children don't believe in God. According to the last census there were 1 million children in Scotland and from a brief look at the religion section of Wikipedia (probably more research than these nutjobs did) roughly 500,000 people either said their religion was that of one of the main Christian denominations or attend church regularly. 3.6% of Scots regularly attended Catholic Mass.  A wee bit under 100,00 Scots belonged to non-Christian religion. From this the logical conclusion is:

a) All God believers are under 16 meaning Scots see the light of atheism on their 16th birthday. Some ritual involving haggis and kilts I assume.

b ) The Hodneys have about as much intellectual rigour and logic between them as my cat, and she has been carting around one of the Blessing's socks all night like she's the mightiest hunter in the world. Then again considering only 4% of Scots know ANYTHING about Jesus I do wonder why they're not more concerned about those hundreds of buildings in their landscape, shutting up shop each year.  They're not even the least bit curious about what goes on in there? No conspiracy theories? No-one wondering what the cathedrals are?? 

c) The Hodneys were rounding up on that 3.6% of Catholics, have secretly converted and are trying to subtly break it to their Godmates that they're evil Papists now, heading over to do their homie the Popie Francis' work.

(I know I'm making some wrong assumptions there, but that maths/logic/research is terrible)

Ireland definitely needs more ideas about Jesus. If only all of those heathens knew about Jesus there would never have ever been any bloodshed there!!

Y'know Jesus has really laid it upon my heart to go convert those heathens in Japan.  Sushi, soba, pickled vegetables, okonomiyaki...I will brave it all to convert souls.  Give me money people. Jesus, blessings, commissions, whatever other buzzwords I need to vomit over the page go here.

The absolute best part -- after then end of the Hodnott video,  youtube linkedto a Gangsta Kitty video.  

I'd put the chances of their success at zero, although some nice Scottish people may tolerate them for a season.  However, they just look like annoying people.  

Shipping container?  Seriously?  If you can't be successful at working and saving money to fund your own mission, you likely won't be successful at being a missionary. 

ETA: I love the doomed "apocalypse is just around the corner" music for the video.   

If I ever get to travel in time I'm going back to tell the masses emigrating to the US in the 16th to 20th centuries that one day, if the good Lord so ordains it, those from the New World will bravely return to tell those remaining in Scotland/Italy/Ireland/wherever about a religion called Christianity and some bearded dude named Jesus.  It'll be a hoot.

9 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

This was my favourite part! 

(I hope this works, never done a picture attachment here before...)

SCotlandhell1.pngScotlandHELL.png

I'm quite enjoying the disaster movie vibe. 

Are they really going to March into historically (and thankfully no longer as intensely) segregated Glasgow and tell them the cause of their problems is because they don't know who Jesus is? Lol.

4 minutes ago, seraaa said:

I'm quite enjoying the disaster movie vibe. 

Are they really going to March into historically (and thankfully no longer as intensely) segregated Glasgow and tell them the cause of their problems is because they don't know who Jesus is? Lol.

Good luck with that in Glasgow!!! Just don't do it on a football match day!

15 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

This was my favourite part! 

(I hope this works, never done a picture attachment here before...)

ScotlandHELL.png

I'm actually laughing hysterically at this still.

Stereotypes for the win! 

He seems like a clever young lad to me.  Faced with an overwhelming amount of bottom-shelf liquor, he wisely reaches past them all for the sole bottle of decent French wine. 

I expect the strategy is that he'll be handing out tracts about the evils of alcohol in front of Tesco in the St. Enoch Centre once a week.  If the police move him on he'll try Boots or BHS the following week.  Then he'll move on to Debenham's or M & S.

Most of the time they will be taking mission trips to the bush all over the British Isles.  One missionary family (I forget the name) has been busily converting the Brits from Land's End to John O'Groats with stops at all the tourist meccas on the way.  

It's a hard life.

7 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Good luck with that in Glasgow!!! Just don't do it on a football match day!

Are Celtic fans even allowed to be Independent Baptists, I don't know guys. Someone had better consult the church elders.

I jest. 

The video doesn't indicate that they know very much about their intended mission destination, and surely that is compulsory.

2 minutes ago, seraaa said:

The video doesn't indicate that they know very much about their intended mission destination, and surely that is compulsory.

Knowledge is not compulsory.  All you need is a burden for (name the country) and naive funders in the US.

For those who haven't met them before - here are the Vandenhurks who have a burden for England.  They are based in Perterborough - but one of them is English at least.   http://jonnynats.weebly.com/

I can't believe the incredible arrogance of these people.

I'd think Bin's brand of crazy might be a better fit. Didn't Calvin originate in Scotland?

20 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I expect the strategy is that he'll be handing out tracts about the evils of alcohol in front of Tesco in the St. Enoch Centre once a week.  If the police move him on he'll try Boots or BHS the following week.  Then he'll move on to Debenham's or M & S.

Most of the time they will be taking mission trips to the bush all over the British Isles.  One missionary family (I forget the name) has been busily converting the Brits from Land's End to John O'Groats with stops at all the tourist meccas on the way.  

It's a hard life.

Well, they are welcome to try.

12 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I can't believe the incredible arrogance of these people.

I'd think Bin's brand of crazy might be a better fit. Didn't Calvin originate in Scotland?

No, but Calvin influenced John Knox who was Scotland's influential Protestant reformer. Calvinism is the undergirding theology of the Church of Scotland.

eta: I guess the Church of Scotland's Calvinist Presbyterianism did impact what came after, in the way that the Old World religious practice and doctrine did

Its one thing to go on a fundy mission trip to somewhere poor, where you can show off your coercive do goodding -look we're providing building supplies/nursing care etc in exchange for Jesus and we're sacrificing and living in poor conditions without regular water etc

But Scotland - you can't hide it under charity work, you get reliable electricity, heating, water & internet depending on how cheap you are.  Easy access to supermarkets delivering food to decent hygiene standard, toilet roll etc. Political stability, less gun crime and risk of shooting than in the US.

Can I be called to mission in Hawaii and find a church to fund that move?

I suspect in Scotland they might get some verbal abuse (depending on how aggressive they are at waylaying people in the streets) and be exposed to some drunk and disorderly scenes...

JesusFightClub we neeeeed you. Come to us JesusFightClub you are our only hope.

Last time I was in England I was with my husband (who is Brittish) and we were talking to theese two Scottish boys. I couldn't understand a word they said. NOTHING. Not sure what part they were from, because I understood other Scottish people just fine. It would be amusing to see the interactions. But honestly, after 19 years of marriage I still sometimes make my husband spell things out so I know what he is saying. Like the town his parents moved to. 

I would love to watch the interactions and watch them being mocked and made fun of during a conversation without even realizing it. 

If you were to ask my husband what he misses most about the UK it would be the humor.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived