IGNORED

Earthquake in Italy

violynn

@Palimpsest

Thank you, we're fine because we're currently in Germany.

My friend has a house in that area and we went there frequently to eat and hike. It's not too far away from our home in Rome. Our friend and his mom had to stay the night on a soccer field in their cars but managed to get out the next morning and did not get hurt. This morning they said that there are more than 250 deaths now... I experienced the 2009 earthquake, it's so scary...

The death toll currently is still at 241 but going to rise says the Protezione Civile. The soil is still shaking often and as @Italiangirl said it makes rescue operations very difficult. 

This recap by the guardian seems fairly accurate (meaning without big translation mistakes, except a pet peeve of mine L'Aquila is the full name of the city that's not only Aquila). 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/24/italy-earthquake-rescue-teams-dig-through-rubble-as-death-toll-rises

17 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

That's awful. I also think that if they learned from past experience with earthquakes, more people could have survived this most recent one.

You're unfortunately right. But it's even worse if possible,  Amatrice's public school was remodeled with special funds after L'Aquila's earthquake to improve its anti seismic structures and now it is in rubble too. One wonders why...the prosecutors are inquiring on it and other simikar situations. 

But this sort of approach goes way beyond earthquakes, for example the Vesuvio can lay silent for centuries and then suddenly wake up and destroy everything.  We know it perfectly well but something like 2 millions of people live on it and the surrounding areas. It's illegal building there and yet...try to imagine what could happen if Vesuvio wakes up and we need relocate 2 millions of people in the shortest possible time...

I'm glad you are safe, @BrandoBarks.  I'm glad your friend and his mother were not hurt.

It is really frightening because the aftershocks are hindering rescue efforts and causing more buildings to crumble.  Here is the latest from the BBC.  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37181933

Another big shake,  4.5 this time other house falling down. The death are now over 247. They are still finding some people alice under the brics, but the hope is going down is so sad! I'm praying for the rescue also cause it has to be hard to dig and found only death 

The tour director from my last trip in 2014 is from central Italy, she lives in Assisi now.  She did mark herself as being safe on Facebook.  I'm hoping the tour directors from my other trips to Italy are OK.  One lived in Sorrento and the other in Reggio Emilia, which is north of the region affected.  If I still had his information I'd see how he's doing, I hope he's ok.

There is been another big shake 5.0 this night, the people who live in there coudn't sleep in the night for the fear. Is so sad see these people without anything left. 

I've been super busy and stressy today, so have not got the chance to catch the news today at all. Yesterday, when reading about it, I think the number of dead was in 70 ish. Just now, I see it is 250-270. Ah this is awful, so horrible. 

I must be pretty ignorant because I had no clue such big earthquakes were an issue in Italy. My holiday to Sorrento a few years back was one of my all time favourites and I am always longing to go back. Sending positives thoughts to those in Italy, for recovery and hoping those still trapped can be rescued safely with good outcome. 

The good news is that the firefighter and the other rescuers was able to save more than 210 people trapped under the rubble , unfortunately the death toll rose again. Last night was 281, but there are still missing and many injured about 400

Archived