IGNORED

Earthquake in Italy

violynn

Thank you everyone. I'm fine as are my family and friends. But there are 38 confirmed dead and more to come because hundreds are missing and three little towns are erased and completely in rubbles. Pics are appalling.

I was surprised to see this report this morning. Sorry if this is a naïve question, but is Italy prone to earthquakes?

Peace & love to everyone effected. 

Hello i'm fine and also my all family is. We live in Florence so we didn't feel but is very sad. I know that there is already 38 people confirmed dead and a lot of village destroid 

20 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Thank you everyone. I'm fine as are my family and friends. But there are 38 confirmed dead and more to come because hundreds are missing and three little towns are erased and completely in rubbles. Pics are appalling.

SO glad to know you and yours are safe.  The photos are heartbreaking, realizing cities have been obliterated is just frightening.

1 minute ago, Italiangirl said:

Hello i'm fine and also my all family is. We live in Florence so we didn't feel but is very sad. I know that there is already 38 people confirmed dead and a lot of village destroid 

SO glad to know you and yours are safe! 

20 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

I was surprised to see this report this morning. Sorry if this is a naïve question, but is Italy prone to earthquakes?

Well usualy there is little heartquake like 3/3.5/4 especially in centre e sud italy but there could be some big like this. 

This is one of the problems beacuse a lot of people aren't use and don't know exactly what to do.  Even if its teach in the primary school. One other problem is that a lot of people usualy don't the need to build according to the earthquakes standard. 

1 hour ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

Unfortunately it is. It doesn't happen often that's maybe why you didn't know, but when it happens we count many dead because after thousands of years we haven't yet learned that we need to be more rigorous with legislation on construction and that we need to respect the existing rules. Sorry but I am ragey, we've already lived through this many times and nothing has changed and it costs lives and historic heritages every time.

Here are summed up the worst earthquakes of the last century, there are more but weren't so severe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/24/timeline-major-earthquakes-italy

In the maps below you can see the faulty lines along which the plates move and where the earthquakes happen. The first is worldwide the other two are more Italy specific.

foto1.jpg

foto2-500x217.jpg

foto3-415x600.jpg

I'm glad you are both safe, @laPapessaGiovanna and @Italiangirl.  I clearly remember the Assisi earthquake that destroyed the Basilica and Giotto frescos but the death toll was not so high.  I did not realize earthquakes were so common in Italy.

We have another member who lives in Italy I think.  @BrandoBarks, are you safe too?

35 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

They are saying 73 dead now :(

How terrible ! :(

I'm so sad for Italy, it must feel like a nightmare. 

Hugs to all the Italians!

1 hour ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

They are saying 73 dead now :(

Oh how sad! I didn't watch TV in the last our, but i was hoping that there wasn't so bad news!:my_sad::pb_neutral: I also agree with you that we don't learn from the past,  i was hoping that maybe is because is not so often that we have such bigger heartquake, but also we know that in Italy people rarely want to learn from the past and usually a lot search only the way to make more money and see the reason to respect the rules about the heartquake and the building 

The death are over 100 now. Is so sad! I don't know why these time is different but for me is even worst of the Emilia and L'Aquila earthquakes. For the Gubbio one i was maybe too young to understand exactly what it mean. I remember i coudn't understand how was possibile that the fresco falling down after all that century and the other earthquakes that must to be happend, but don't thinking about people. Is strange how the mind could work 

Thank you for providing that info, @laPapessaGiovanna. I knew about tectonic plates &  some things of that nature, but didn't realize that Italy was/is basically cut in half by them.

My mother visited Italy (& other European countries 20+ years ago, & still tells stories about how gorgeous of a country it is.

My heart aches for those effected & also whom have been lost.

That's awful. I also think that if they learned from past experience with earthquakes, more people could have survived this most recent one.

I am so saddened by this disaster.... praying for the families and friends affected.

Thanks to everyone for the prayer. I have some friends of friends that live there and they says that one of the problems is that the ground continue to shake... I don't have watch the TV yet so i don't know if there some news. I hope not 

Archived