IGNORED

Fundyisms: Earth is flat and how old?

CyborgKin

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read some comments and I think I'm more confused about why these people are squabbling over 25 years but the idea that Noah was 500 when he started having kids and 600 when the flood happened is totally agreed upon. 

Also, why does their God hate everyone that he would reduce life spans by such a large margin?!?!

#science

Somehow, I have fallen into the deep hole that is flat earthism.

There is a recent video up on YouTube trying to say that things like mountains, mesas, and other formations are actually tree stumps from giant ancient trees (that grew up to several hundred KM tall) . This video is not religious, but in the related videos, people have run with the idea saying that these are 'pre- flood.' and are very fundy in nature.

Here is one featuring Hovind, though I don't know if he is directly tied to this flavor of lunacy:

Enjoy the rabbit hole!

Yeah, totally is. Big following on Facebook. Lot of your typical conspiracy theorists groups coming together as "Flerfers," aka, "Flat Earthers."

I was introduced to it a couple years ago, but I'd say it's really exploded in the last year.

Many also seem to believe in Planet Nibiru/Planet X apocalypse theories, New World Order/Rothschild/Illuminati theories, chem-trails, Obama= Secret Muslim theories, AntiVax, NOGMO, prepping, III/Militia, etc,.

Most believe that the earth is a flat disk and that Antarctica is wall of ice encircling the outer edges of the planet, containing the oceans. The oceans have to be contained because the basic "science" behind FE-  geocetricity can't explain gravity. Since they can't explain gravity, many believe it is also a hoax.

Draws trolls, because how could it not?! But because of this it's often hard to tell how many are legit FE'rs and how many are "p.o.e," or, "parody of evangelical" accounts.

Nearly 5777 years on the Jewish calendar anyway.  I always thought that's what creationists are going by and "6000" is just an estimate.

5 hours ago, meee said:

Nearly 5777 years on the Jewish calendar anyway.  I always thought that's what creationists are going by and "6000" is just an estimate.

Me too. I don't think I've known anyone to be so sure down to the exact year. 

I suppose all of this is contingent on those first 6/7 days being literal days and not metaphoric days.  And as a Christina I've never really believed that they are literal days.  

48 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I suppose all of this is contingent on those first 6/7 days being literal days and not metaphoric days.  And as a Christina I've never really believed that they are literal days.  

I've always assumed that the "six days of creation" can accomodate the dinosaurs, the whole evolution thing, and even the big bang. (Surely when God spoke, "let there be light" there was a big bang!!) 

What is a day to God? Whatever God says it is!

7 hours ago, Childless said:

Hard to believe people are really that stupid. 

I completely believe that people are that stupid. Why is believing in a flat earth any crazier than not believing in evolution? Evolution and a round earth both have copious amounts of empirical evidence to prove that they are facts, but they contradict the Bible, so they are "false" according to these fundies. The Bible is clear that the earth is flat and stationary. If you're going to reject evolution and an old earth, rejecting a spherical moving earth is the logical next step. Robert Sturgenis, an extreme Catholic traditionalist, advocates geocentricism as the only "Catholic" astronomical model and geocentricism is pretty common in ultra orthodox Judaism because the ancient rabbis and scholars advocated it. Skeptical Inquirer had a really good article on geocentricism in ultra orthodox Judaism, but I think it's behind a pay wall now.

I find this to be one of the biggest misconceptions/failures of fundamentalism. The belief in an all-powerful, omnipresent, all-knowing, omnipotent god being constrained by the laws of earth physics and using a measure of time that is limited to one planet in his universe. Young Earth Christianity doesn't make sense, even with the belief in God. 

This is tooooo painful watch.  Geology is not their strong point.  A few times I found myself saying to myself "Huhn?  Wha?"   Crosslinking movies....stumps, lots of stumps, oxygen dense atmosphere.....something, something......giant tomatoes.....lots of coal, lots and lots and lots of coal.....due to giant flood, really a big, giant flood, really giant, really big flood.  And no, human artifacts are NOT found inside coal. 

But, I kinda like it.  A whackaloon young earth creationist's response to whackaloon flat earthers , at least I think that's what it was.  

Actually, the Bible doesn't really say the earth is flat. Just some crap translations make it seem that way.

And that would make no sense anyways, because nobody ever actually thought the earth was flat. It has always been regarded as spherical. This whole flat earth bizarreness is a modern thing.

Just... So... Stupid...

Man, the planet just keeps getting younger... Sort of a Benjamin Button geology thing.

I always learned it was under 6000 years old. I've heard 5000-6000 a lot. I know some people say they've calculated it down to the earth's exact age by using biblical genealogy, but most young earthers just take a little under 6000 as an estimate.

Yeah, sadly, claiming the Earth is around 6000 years old is not a new conspiracy theory from "Biblical" evidence. As someone who really loves going to museums and ancient sites, it's kinda terrifying to me. We have physical evidence of humanity, not just the Earth, from more than 6000 years ago! I understand how some scientific ideas are harder to grasp for many people because they're not tangible, but this is just a case of willfully ignoring evidence. But with the mistrust of science and mainstream education, there's no point in trying to use something like radiocarbon dating as proof.

Count me in as another one wondering why we don't get those epic lifespans anymore! :my_biggrin:

14 minutes ago, notsocommon said:

It baffles me that people buy into this.  mountains are really tree stumps?  That reached hundreds of KM into the sky?   100Km= 62.14 miles.

They also believe that we have never been to space..because tower of babble. 

This chick....I can't even!
https://www.facebook.com/jesusischrist?fref=ufi&pnref=story

I think her page is fucking fantastic! I love maniacal rants not directed at me.

I wonder if 62 mile long trees disrupt the Earth's orbit? It has to be freezing in the upper canopy. Do you think the leaves would make the air at that high altitude breathable?  Would the trees  be able to breath? I wonder what Gravity is like that high up......

Easy!

The earth is stationary, so no 'orbit' to disrupt  and there is no such thing as 'gravity.'
Oh, and there was more oxygen back in the day, so clearly that is not an issue!

DUH!

12 hours ago, RosaLuxcyborg said:

"Flerfers," 

The oceans have to be contained because the basic "science" behind FE-  geocetricity can't explain gravity. Since they can't explain gravity, many believe it is also a hoax.

They really should run with "Flerfers." The term really carries a sense of academic gravitas.

If gravity is a hoax, why are things pulled toward earth? Why aren't we just floating around? 

And I don't understand how Flerferism would be taken up by Fundies. I get the Biblical reasoning behind Creationism and Geocentrism, but I can't think of anything in the Old Testament that suggests the earth is flat. 

Archived