IGNORED

Counting On Season Two

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, imokit said:

The babyproofing is a big deal.  It is this the first definitative sign there's deviation from the Pearls in Duggar land? The Pearls (and a lot of other fundies) are very explicit.  You don't babyproof a house, you houseproof a baby and train it not to do things - eg blanket training etc

Socket covers & locks are not necessary in fundyland because you switch and repeat until baby is too terrified to move.

The fact that Anna  is helping and knows about babyproofing implies that she's done it herself to some extent, and thus the M kids have not been treated as harshly as babies as some of the other Duggar babies and Jessa & Ben intend to also not be as harsh on their toddlers.

On the other hand is it all a ruse for the show?  And am I trying to be to optimistic in hoping that those babies aren't blanket trained and being kept safe appropriately.

One plus, at least for the older kids is that they will remember how awful blanket training was on their younger siblings, and will probably have no desire to repeat this, at least until they have 6 or 100 kids crawling around. 

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, whitehouses said:

Did anyone else notice how awkward it was between Ben and Jessa in the scene before he left for work? or wherever? before she went shopping for baby proofing items? They gave each other an awkward side hug and no kiss or I love you and Jessa had a weird look on her face. It really stuck out to me. 

Ben was also extremely short with her like "here's your stupid eggs bitch!" That scene was very strained, they were plainly fighting and could barely stay polite for the 5 minutes it took to cook the eggs. 

5 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Ben was also extremely short with her like "here's your stupid eggs bitch!" That scene was very strained, they were plainly fighting and could barely stay polite for the 5 minutes it took to cook the eggs. 

she seems to nag him and it's getting obvious 

Jeremy likes to say, "Jing".

When he told her he loved her on the bench after asking her to court, that was so awkwardly phrased.  I wonder if he had written to her that he loved her but had never spoken it to her, or spoken the words to her face to face.  I can't remember exactly what was said but something like, "I want to say it, instead of just letting you know, you know ....".    And then she said it right back without much fanfare. 

I agree with posters above that JBoob did seem really weird with Jeremy.  I'm guessing the greeting at the airport was reenacted as it was so over the top.  JBoob doesn't know how to tone something like that down.  And then him eating that chocolate muffin while Jeremy spills out his heart to him.  Strange. 

DQ seemed her usual checked out self.  When Jinger and Jeremy came inside after he asked her to "take the next step"  JDQ hugged Jeremy before her own daughter.  Jinger's brothers all gave her a side hug but gave Jeremy straight on bro hugs.  Very weird.  Even Joy, didn't seem happy or excited for Jinger.  She stayed back when Jinger came in and made her announcement and didn't side hug her sister until others were done. 

My favorite of last nights episode .... John.   He still comes across the camera as not very smart, but I liked how he helped Josiah out with the big rig and he was pretty straight forward in the talking heads.  I can't imagine being his age in a family with their beliefs.  I think he handles it well that he is still single and supposedly still living at home and sleeping in the boys dorm.

ETA: There is no quote.  I don't know why the quote box showed up.  Couldn't get it off. 

For some reason, I woke up in the middle of the night with the thought, "It's a good thing the Duggars have a courtship/marriage this season, because I can't take another episode of staged babyproofing a house. I would legit stop watching."

Damn you Duggars, now you're even ruining my peaceful sleep and dreams.

3 hours ago, amers said:

Jill looked terrified. Either she is pregnant and terrified to go outisde, or that girl saw something that has scared her into not leaving the house. She didn't go from prancing around with her baby to not leaving the house because he's more mobile. She saw something bad happen, or something went on. Poor girl. She was so sheltered, she seemed very down to me. I'm glad he brought her home. 

I agree with you. One doesn't just stay inside because of their gringo baby. She used to prance him around all the time. Israel was passed from stranger to stranger a lot. Something must have happened that scared her into being terrified of leaving her house.  

27 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

I agree with you. One doesn't just stay inside because of their gringo baby. She used to prance him around all the time. Israel was passed from stranger to stranger a lot. Something must have happened that scared her into being terrified of leaving her house.  

Baby proofing in evil Cintral Amurica seemed to be mostly about spraying for bugs.

I think the thing Jill is afraid of is mosquitos.  Legit fear and she ought to own it rather than passing along the gringo baby being in danger from all the brown people crap.  

I dont have kids, so I'm going to have to rely on you guys... but do you "babyproof" a house for two little girls of that age?  Both of those kids were verbal and able to feed themselves.  "Dont stick your fingers in a socket" is probably a year or so beneath them. Also, she was watching the kids while mom went to the grocery store.  If you cant watch two kids that are playing on the floor WITH YOU for an hour or two we have an issue.

I call Bullshit on the plotline.

I also think the blurred item was the prego test.

The plotline might have been babyproofing for babies, but that was just a cover of babyproofing for Bin. Doors are hard to figure out, y'all.

10 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I dont have kids, so I'm going to have to rely on you guys... but do you "babyproof" a house for two little girls of that age?  Both of those kids were verbal and able to feed themselves.  "Dont stick your fingers in a socket" is probably a year or so beneath them. Also, she was watching the kids while mom went to the grocery store.  If you cant watch two kids that are playing on the floor WITH YOU for an hour or two we have an issue.

I'd babyproof for Spurge. He's crawling & pulling to stand. Its late to be babyproofing for him, unless a) there's always someone focused on him (hard at the best of times), b ) he's normally kept contained in a playpen/small area cordoned with a gate etc c) blanket training.

The only justification for that timing is that she was worried babysitting those two girls would mean she couldn't focus on Spurge and give him time to get into things.

Or most likely reason - TLC wanted a storyline. :P 

Edit - late as in I'd have though they'd need to babyproof earlier (as soon as signs of crawling started).  Not late as in he doesn't need it.  He does need it.

2 hours ago, doubleT said:

Jeremy likes to say, "Jing".

When he told her he loved her on the bench after asking her to court, that was so awkwardly phrased.  I wonder if he had written to her that he loved her but had never spoken it to her, or spoken the words to her face to face.  I can't remember exactly what was said but something like, "I want to say it, instead of just letting you know, you know ....".    And then she said it right back without much fanfare. 

I agree with posters above that JBoob did seem really weird with Jeremy.  I'm guessing the greeting at the airport was reenacted as it was so over the top.  JBoob doesn't know how to tone something like that down.  And then him eating that chocolate muffin while Jeremy spills out his heart to him.  Strange. 

DQ seemed her usual checked out self.  When Jinger and Jeremy came inside after he asked her to "take the next step"  JDQ hugged Jeremy before her own daughter.  Jinger's brothers all gave her a side hug but gave Jeremy straight on bro hugs.  Very weird.  Even Joy, didn't seem happy or excited for Jinger.  She stayed back when Jinger came in and made her announcement and didn't side hug her sister until others were done. 

My favorite of last nights episode .... John.   He still comes across the camera as not very smart, but I liked how he helped Josiah out with the big rig and he was pretty straight forward in the talking heads.  I can't imagine being his age in a family with their beliefs.  I think he handles it well that he is still single and supposedly still living at home and sleeping in the boys dorm.

ETA: There is no quote.  I don't know why the quote box showed up.  Couldn't get it off. 

Joy I think knew that once "jinge" is courting - Joy and Jana are in deep doodoo 

I looked up colors of pregnancy tests boxes and if someone has a clip of that scene - I think we can match it up 

I am not surprised she didn't have a fit 

12 hours ago, Karma said:

I have only watched the ads, but have one little thought about why Jill has been isolating herself and the gringo baby at home -  is she trying to stay inside to prevent mosquitos bites because she's pregnant and didn't want to announce it while in Zika territory?  She seemed to have no issue with taking him out when he was younger, and he was just as blond then.  

I noticed the big bowl of mush as well and wondered why he's still eating puréed food.  My kids were well and truly eating solid food at his age, and if eating yoghurt or porridge they were (unfortunately for my floors) trying to feed themselves and were not happy about me feeding them.  

Some kids do have feeding issues and have to stay on purees and whatnot longer. So that's always a possibility. Hard to say since we don't really see a whole lot of mealtime stuff with them.

4 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

"Jill looked terrified. Either she is pregnant and terrified to go outisde, or that girl saw something that has scared her into not leaving the house. She didn't go from prancing around with her baby to not leaving the house because he's more mobile. She saw something bad happen, or something went on. Poor girl. She was so sheltered, she seemed very down to me. I'm glad he brought her home. "

I hope they don't go back.

About them baby-proofing: Maybe they read all the crabbing about lack-of-safety on FJ.

I seriously think they get some of their story lines from the internet (not necessarily FJ but it's possible.)  People mention that they are horrible pet owners and bam....an episode where they take their dog to get bathed. People say the kids only do traditionally gender specific things....and then you see Jana installing a light fixture or whatever. I am surprised we haven't seen an episode with them going to a local car seat check. (I wish they would!)

Anyone else feel sorry for Noel? I know she has a home, parents, and siblings but I just feel so bad for her. The way her parents talk about her adoption. I know adoption is hard and it takes a lot of work but they make it sound like they would love to rehome that child. I wish she went to a family that truly wanted her. Not everyone is meant to adopt. I personally know that I can't. It's not just not in my nature. I'm not even sure bio kids are in my nature. I like to play with my nieces and nephews and give them back.

36 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

The plot line was in response to FJ pointing out their sub-safety standards.  So, let's bring on Anna (who did actually seem to know about baby-proofing) and make an excuse to shop with kids in tow for child-proofing and then watch the inept j'slaves install the items.   Basic TLC/Duggar plot--drag out a real boring chore into an hour episode. But, they can't admit that they're responding to criticism, so instead let's blend this with a plot line about the adoption friends.  You're right--child proofing to babysit a 3 and 4 year old is silly.

Question: If Anna is such an expert and had at least 2 kids in that house...how come those cabinets weren't already baby proofed?

I did like the relationship between John and Josiah.  It seemed genuine.  I do think the younger boys look up to John.

4 minutes ago, Mothership said:

Question: If Anna is such an expert and had at least 2 kids in that house...how come those cabinets weren't already baby proofed?

I believe they completely redid the kitchen prior to Jessa and Ben moving in. So if they were babyproofed when Anna was there, it would have been removed in the renovation. 

Just watched last night's episode, and wow oh wow that sexual tension between Jeremy and Jinger is off the charts for Duggar land. I'm happy for Jinger. I think moving to Texas and getting away from her family will be great for her. I think Jeremy will pull her out of fundie land and into conservative christianity, which is way more palatable in my opinion.

On another note, I liked the scene with John and Josiah. John has lost some weight, I noticed. I still think John is a good guy. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but a nice and capable guy.

Dumbest. Show. Ever. 

I cannot believe those people get paid to do ridiculous, monotonous, boring stuff. ON TV!!

I want to slap that stupid hat off of Benjermin's big head. 

The previews showed John David and Joy flying over the Duggar house in a very small plane. Maybe he is taking Joy to join Jana at an undisclosed location. 

I'm not so sure that Jeremy will be a more liberal headship than Ben or Derick.  Jeremy came from a homeschooling background and only went to public school starting his junior year to play soccer.  He started getting into trouble, in other words acting like a normal teen, drinking canoodling etc.  This continued in college.  At some point he was born again.  He may feel even more strongly that children need to be sheltered.  Would love to be wrong about this.

That was a snoozefest. I don't know how they're going to make it interesting. Also, shouldn't Jessa and Bin thought about baby proofing for their own kids, and not just because they were watching someone else's kids?  Guess they really think God will protect him 24/7. Wake up idiots. 

2 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

I'm not so sure that Jeremy will be a more liberal headship than Ben or Derick.  Jeremy came from a homeschooling background and only went to public school starting his junior year to play soccer.  He started getting into trouble, in other words acting like a normal teen, drinking canoodling etc.  This continued in college.  At some point he was born again.  He may feel even more strongly that children need to be sheltered.  Would love to be wrong about this.

Were Ben or Derick homeschooled? I know Derick went to college and Ben community college. 

1 hour ago, nst said:

I looked up colors of pregnancy tests boxes and if someone has a clip of that scene - I think we can match it up 

I am not surprised she didn't have a fit 

I think it is an ovulation test. I saw the blurred out item and I knew it looked familiar.  My guess is it is a first response ovulation test that comes in the multipack on places like amazon.  This multipack has ovulation tests and a pregnancy test but the ovulation tests are the same color as the ones in Jessa's drawer, the pregnancy tests are another color package.

My neighbor order 2 boxes of these and she would come over to use them so I could help her read them (the ovulation tests are not as straightforward because one line has to be as dark or darker, so there is room for is this positive? wondering). My neighbor left two of them at my house. Now that I'm in my 40's I was curious if I still ovulate so I was going to use one but never got around to it. I still have them in my bathroom.

4 minutes ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

Were Ben or Derick homeschooled? I know Derick went to college and Ben community college. 

I think Ben was.  His family seems to belong to a Homeschool coop.  I think Derick went to public school or maybe private but I don't think he was homeschooled.  He can show Jill that you can go to public school and not become an immoral ass.

11 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

I'm not so sure that Jeremy will be a more liberal headship than Ben or Derick. 

I think it's just too soon to tell with Jeremy. You have those who increase in fundie over time and decrease over time. There's too many factors to consider right now in my opinion.

What I want is a super liberal, secretly non religious guy to swoop in, pretend to be fundie, then reveal himself and free the J-Slave.

But then it occurs to me-- why does a J-girl need a man to save her? I hate that I think this way. If a J-slave wanted to be free and was old enough, they could escape. People from the FLDS can escape-- not that it's easy, but it can be done.

I also have to consider how messed up it would be to pretend to be something you're not to save a Duggar-- you're taking away their agency. 

Sometimes I wish life was a movie with an easy ending.

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic

Archived