IGNORED

Counting On Season Two

Coconut Flan

27 minutes ago, Timetostoplurking said:

And another thing......don't buy them any fricken presents!   For Pete's sake people, not for a wedding, or a baby, housewarming.....just no!!!

Hahaha amen! I doubt they would ever return the favor to even their most devoted of fans. I wonder if they even send gifts to most of their 'friends.' Here's hoping Jinger doesn't post a public registry. 

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi.  I've lurked on FJ since last summer, when the Joshley-splosion occurred.  I mainly enjoyed reading along. 

It keeps coming up about Jill being frightened and staying indoors while in CA.....I have a family member from central America (now a US citizen) who has a blond haired, fair skinned, blue eyed son.  And she and her dh take special precautions when visiting her family, due to the kidnapping of children, esp ones with blue eyes.  If I remember correctly, it's the fact that he looks (US) American, and kidnappings happen for ransom money from "rich Americans".  They also have a brown eyed, brown haired, darker skin daughter, and their fears are not as strong with her.  The wife won't even travel alone with the kids to her home country, because of this issue.

Also thinking about Jill.....is how hard it is to be surrounded by family 24/7, and then alone/only her and Derrick at first.  I was one of 4 kids and we had very little privacy or time alone, and the first time I had to be alone....it was absolutely horrible...at first.  (Then it became amazing.  Took time for that, though.)

Wearing pants....IS a step among fundies.  Skirt wearing may not be a rule among all of whom ya'll consider fundies, but among the elite....it's a sign of their holiness.  Choosing to wear pants is a sign of someone making their own decisions and not following the party line of legalism.  They may still follow many of the ways, but it's a fundie way of throwing a middle finger. 

And lastly, I spent my first 9 yrs right in the midst of Gothard-land.  My mom had a breakdown after a Gothard women's retreat about the Proverbs 31 woman.  This was back during the scandal-ridden 80's....I was little, but remember the whispered negative tones concerning Gothard.  We escaped that bit of craziness and went Southern Baptist.  (Many independent baptist churches consider the S. Baptist Convention to be downright liberal!  With their pants wearing, contemporary worship, NIV reading selves!  Hahaha!)

3 hours ago, defraudedbychipendales said:

That did not look or sound like a courtship proposal. That looked and sounded like a marriage proposal. Seems more real than at People HQ. 

And they were definitely talking in lovers code.

Just because I keep seeing this, the engagement appeared to be in an actual outdoor setting, not on a People HQ sound stage. 

image.jpeg

Can I change the topic for just a second and say how deeply disappointed I am that the the blurred purple thing is just a packet of snot rags? I was hoping it was something used for "hey hey hey!" because at least, finally, it would be something new and unexpected.

We've seen so many Duggars waddling around pregnant, giving birth at various locations, after watching them court and save their first kiss for the wedding. This is no longer interesting, TLC!

Lastly, I truly hope Jill and Derick don't go back to C.A. What have they accomplished there, anyway? Mainly having gatherings with locals who look bored out of their minds, probably hoping for a free meal. It seems so pointless to me. Even the orphanage visits. 

According to Derick's blog...it sounds like they just put on religious skits for people. I bet they were in English too. Morons. Such a waste of time and resources.

I think my biggest issue with the Duggar's is their failure to safeguard their children because of a messed up belief system that makes selective use of biblical teaching. 

I mean for one they failed Josh. He clearly had some sort of suppressed sexual tension that caused him to do that to not 1 but 5 girls. He was so young himself that his parents should have taken it seriously and tried to figure out why he did it and get him appropriate help. 

Secondly, they failed their daughters by not getting Josh help and by not getting the girls help they needed or educating their girls and boys about that type of thing. Putting locks on doors doesn't help anything in that situation. 

Thirdly, instead of focusing on the children they had and helping them with their issues they went on to bring more children into an unsafe environment. 

Blanket training is horrendous. No where in the bible does it teach to hit your child to make them fear you so they don't step out of line! It's bloody ridiculous that they practiced and advocated it! The bible commands to do unto others. I doubt Jim-Boob would like someone to put him on a blanket and hit him everytime he does something wrong. Although someone ought to. 

I feel for any kid raised in this kind of cult. From the minute they are born their chance of living a life of making their own desicsions is taken away by the very people who are supposed to protect them

2 hours ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

(snip) Blanket training is horrendous. No where in the bible does it teach to hit your child to make them fear you so they don't step out of line! It's bloody ridiculous that they practiced and advocated it! The bible commands to do unto others. I doubt Jim-Boob would like someone to put him on a blanket and hit him everytime he does something wrong. Although someone ought to. (snip) 

It's mentioned several times. Proverbs 13:24 states, "Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them." So while the bible does recommend physical discipline of children, it's just another example of the Duggar's legalistic interpretation of it. It falls into the same category as stoning people and wearing two different cloths, or that fun bit in Deuteronomy 25:11-12 where it says that if a woman tries to stop a fight between two men by grabbing his balls, her hand should be cut off. It's dumb, harmful, and really not applicable to the modern world.

On 8/23/2016 at 7:09 PM, nst said:

Jill is afraid to leave the house because her son is a gringo 

Is that an okay word to just throw around like that? I was always told that wasn't an okay word, like just don't use it.  I know Jill did. It bugged me.

1 hour ago, MargaretElliott said:

It's mentioned several times. Proverbs 13:24 states, "Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them." So while the bible does recommend physical discipline of children, it's just another example of the Duggar's legalistic interpretation of it. It falls into the same category as stoning people and wearing two different cloths, or that fun bit in Deuteronomy 25:11-12 where it says that if a woman tries to stop a fight between two men by grabbing his balls, her hand should be cut off. It's dumb, harmful, and really not applicable to the modern world.

Actually when you take into account historical context plus the nuance lost in translating things multiple times its not as clear cut as you may think.

Some historians think that rod was likely a sSheppard rod which was used to guide sheep and not used to beat them.  Thus the rod is not referring to hitting.  Discipline does not have to equal physical punishment.  You can discipline a child without striking, and use a rod to guide without striking.

9 minutes ago, imokit said:

Actually when you take into account historical context plus the nuance lost in translating things multiple times its not as clear cut as you may think.

Some historians think that rod was likely a sSheppard rod which was used to guide sheep and not used to beat them.  Thus the rod is not referring to hitting.  Discipline does not have to equal physical punishment.  You can discipline a child without striking, and use a rod to guide without striking.

Oh, I didn't even realize that. Thanks for the clarification!

It does beg the question, though, what do the Duggars and their ilk interpret the verse as? I'm fairly sure they interpret it as physical punishment, whether that is the true meaning or not. If the Bible does indeed refer to the rod as a guiding tool and not a hitting stick, that makes their blanket training even more terrible, in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, MargaretElliott said:

Oh, I didn't even realize that. Thanks for the clarification!

It does beg the question, though, what do the Duggars and their ilk interpret the verse as? I'm fairly sure they interpret it as physical punishment, whether that is the true meaning or not. If the Bible does indeed refer to the rod as a guiding tool and not a hitting stick, that makes their blanket training even more terrible, in my opinion.

I believe the Duggars and Bateses have now wiped their blogs of all references to Michael Pearl but they both used to endorse his perverted teachings and his book.  To Train Up a Child.  Pearl followers have been responsible for several murders of children.

For more about this topic on FJ:  http://www.freejinger.org/forum/262-pearls-anasts-to-beat-up-a-child/

I had also heard it was to guide, not beat,  to give a gentle nudge in the right direction. Of course, this was long after surviving English schools, where public spanking was the norm. *shudder* 

1 hour ago, imokit said:

That would require intelligent, critical thinking and appreciation of the Bible in a historical context, and, I would argue, study of the Greek and Aramaic language nuances. 

I doubt the Duggar, the Bates, the Pearls, and pretty much anyone who insists on a "literal" reading of the Bible have that kind of discernment/ critical thinking. 

I'm curious what's in their version of the Bible and what isn't. They claim to use KJV right? But I imagine it doesn't have any reference to Deborah, Judith or Jael. Did they just leave those stories out? I can't imagine there's any reference to Jael driving a tent peg into Sisera's head with a mallet or Judith decapitating Holofemes. Or Deborah who was a prophet, lead the counterattack against Sisera's army, defeated his army and was a judge for 40 years (and was married!).  Or did they change it to a man doing all those things?

18 hours ago, TheDuggarnaut said:

Can I change the topic for just a second and say how deeply disappointed I am that the the blurred purple thing is just a packet of snot rags? I was hoping it was something used for "hey hey hey!" because at least, finally, it would be something new and unexpected.

We've seen so many Duggars waddling around pregnant, giving birth at various locations, after watching them court and save their first kiss for the wedding. This is no longer interesting, TLC!

Lastly, I truly hope Jill and Derick don't go back to C.A. What have they accomplished there, anyway? Mainly having gatherings with locals who look bored out of their minds, probably hoping for a free meal. It seems so pointless to me. Even the orphanage visits. 

I'm not so sure it's the snot rags. The blurred out image had white around the edges of the box, plus it was rectangular. The snot rag container is all purple and pretty much square. 

My 2 cents about Jill in Central America is that maybe she encountered culture shock and couldn't deal with it especially when it hit her that this wasn't a fun nail painting, candy giving week long kind of mission. Most of us would slowly get used to our surroundings, but she might have just gotten overwhelmed to the point of becoming a shut in, and waited for it to be over. Who knows, though.

52 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I'm curious what's in their version of the Bible and what isn't. They claim to use KJV right? But I imagine it doesn't have any reference to Deborah, Judith or Jael. Did they just leave those stories out? I can't imagine there's any reference to Jael driving a tent peg into Sisera's head with a mallet or Judith decapitating Holofemes. Or Deborah who was a prophet, lead the counterattack against Sisera's army, defeated his army and was a judge for 40 years (and was married!).  Or did they change it to a man doing all those things?

These women do no exist to fundies.  According to fundies, they're all strong BAD women who defied men in some way (you know, to survive in some instances, but who's paying attention). The point is, you will never see a fundie girl named Jael or Deborah or Judith. 

Boogie Wipes containers are rectangular - at least the ones at my daughter's house are.

13 minutes ago, Imagine20 said:

My 2 cents about Jill in Central America is that maybe she encountered culture shock and couldn't deal with it especially when it hit her that this wasn't a fun nail painting, candy giving week long kind of mission. Most of us would slowly get used to our surroundings, but she might have just gotten overwhelmed to the point of becoming a shut in, and waited for it to be over. Who knows, though.

During my time in Japan... I saw many women who didn't want to be there and could not embrace the new culture at all. So what happened? They stayed home/on base all the time and were miserable. Like, I know people who wouldnt even go off base down the street to get dinner because they hated it too much..

Sucks for them. I still have about 20 pounds of japanese food on me and I've been home a year haha

On 8/27/2016 at 8:03 AM, calimojo said:

@WhippleI love that you used Folie a Deux in a sentence.  This entire family, and their close associates all have a shared delusion. 

Anyway,  I had the same thought you did in that Jill may seem more subdued because of her concern for Derrick.  Remember her post a while back that they have all had some bouts with illness.  It seemed to be a response to the social media posts about how sickly Derrick has looked and his weight loss.  She may just be worried about his health.  I don't think that Derrick has turned into some crazed cult leader.  But I think he is kind of in his element, living off grid to a degree and 'working' with locals, which as a single person, like he was in Nepal is relatively easy to do.  His needs, on his own were pretty simple.  But dragging a wife and baby, especially a wife who was raised in an extremely sheltered way,  along on his adventures is a whole new ball game. 

I feel for Jill.  Even though their home appears quite nice, even luxurious for the area,  living there with a daily battle of creepy crawlies  and intermittent water and power supply and a small child has to be rough for someone who isn't used to that.  Honestly I would not cope at all well with that myself.  I can live without internet, tv, and possible electricity some of the time, but no running water sucks.  And if Derrick is out all day converting Catholics, Jill, who is used to being surrounded by 20 other people all the time is likely quite lonely.  Add to that the real or imagined threat of harm to her or her baby, and it must be a very uncomfortable lifestyle for her, despite her mandate to follow her husband at all times. 

Perhaps Jill's fears are Zika related? Perhaps she tried to share some of her birthing skills and came face to face with a Zika baby and it didn't end well, or she's met a few moms & microcephaly babies and is truly terrified of getting pregnant. Or maybe she is and is trying hard not to get it?

People are still going on about how "sick" Derrick looks? I'm still not seeing it.  He's a tall thin guy with an unfortunate looking face, to go with a jacked up jaw and mouth. I think he is kind of gross and dirty, but I'm still not seeing him on deaths door. I think his changed look has more to do with long dirty hair vs short clean cut.  He looks vastly different with his hair pulled back. 

Just from the quick flash I saw of the purple mystery item, I thought it was underwear and was like, "you go, Jessa. Buy those colorful panties!"

I'm disappointed too. 

Also still astounded and impressed that a Duggar (and let's face it, Derick is practically a Duggar now) used a word as large as geopolitic. It puts me back to Michelle's "Per-pen-dick-u-lerrr" days.

It's not like Jill ever left her house when she lived in Arkansas, though. At least, she never stepped foot in a building not owned by her family.

On 8/24/2016 at 2:36 PM, imokit said:

I'd babyproof for Spurge. He's crawling & pulling to stand. Its late to be babyproofing for him, unless a) there's always someone focused on him (hard at the best of times), b ) he's normally kept contained in a playpen/small area cordoned with a gate etc c) blanket training.

The only justification for that timing is that she was worried babysitting those two girls would mean she couldn't focus on Spurge and give him time to get into things.

Or most likely reason - TLC wanted a storyline. :P 

Edit - late as in I'd have though they'd need to babyproof earlier (as soon as signs of crawling started).  Not late as in he doesn't need it.  He does need it.

As a SAHM, we didn't have to baby proof our house until our second was born. We had outlet covers and kept things away from our first, but I didn't really have anything else to do but play with him/watch him. He was a super chill baby though, and a super chill preschooler now. He also slept through the night quickly, so I wasn't sleep deprived. When  he would nap I would do laundry and clean and stuff like that. Jessa doesn't have a big house, so it's not like he could get lost, ya know? We have an open floor plan, and I actually hate having the gate up now. It's defiantly much needed, but it takes up precious room. :/

On 8/24/2016 at 6:45 PM, amers said:

I'd think the ovulation tests were to track so she didn't get pregnant. Some women do that, and clearly it's not super effective. It might be her way of trying a form of birth control. Surely being so young with such a young child she wouldn't have a need to use them. 

I've used them for both reasons, and they've worked both times. If that is what it was, my money is on Jessa using it to get pregnant. I bet she either wanted to get pregnant again at six months after baby, or she didn't get pregnant the month before and was worried or freaking out.

It's probably just something like feminine hygiene wipes or cream or something like that. A lot of those are in purple/white boxes.

I doubt it's anything exceptionally racy or out of the ordinary.

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic

Archived