IGNORED

The Seewalds, Part Nine: And Baby Makes Four

FundieFarmer

Jessa is pregnant before Jill?

I assumed she was, because of a picture a few weeks ago where she looked pregnant. I wonder what they will call this one. I am sure it cant be any worse than Spurgeon.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lurky said:

how do people combine mega families, with the strict "women's work" gender rules? 

When it's convenient/necessary for them, they have boys do "girls' work" (or vice versa) under the guise of it being cute. I definitely recall some things like that on 19KAC or maybe the early specials. 

It's ridiculous, of course, but it's not limited to fundies, either. For instance, I've seen people compliment a man for "babysitting" his own children, like it's amazing he managed to feed, clothe and not lose the kid when the mother was away. 

I'm watching GBBO right now and there's a contestant called Benjamina. I can see that as a name for Spud 2.0 if it's a girl.

44 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

SNIP

I don't think there's a "twin gene," is there? I do know that if female blood relatives (especially mother or grandmother) had fraternal twins, you may be more prone to hyper-ovulation. 

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask-a-geneticist/twin-genetics is the link I found on this - so it's not exactly genetic, but can run in families, absolutely - just like you said! My mother was a fraternal twin, and there are a bajillion of those on both sides of the fam. I secretly think that my sister stopped after one because she was scared of twins. I know I am, though I do love my twin mama!

Okay, so I totally haven't read the entire thread, however I have a few thoughts:

1.  I pray to God/Allah/Budha/The Wicked Witch of the West/The Flying Spaghetti Monster that Jessa and I do not give birth on the same day or name our child/children the same thing.
  2.  If she is due in February, she has already had an ultrasound. Cheap as the Duggars are They know how many babies are in there, and since the Seewalds and Duggars are not the brightest crayons in the box, I am going to go with, yes, they are having twins.
  3. I honestly think Jessa was holding back this news as long as possible. I also know that women show much earlier in consequetive pregnancies then they do in the first. I am starting to get a bump and have met women less pregnant than me who look visibily pregnant already - they are usually having their second or third or moreth child.
  4. Hopefully Derrick is smart enough to be concerned about Zika. 
  5. I am really surprised that it wasn't Jill first. 

Now an aside on Jessa and Jill.

I know that Jessa always get accused of trying to one up Jill, but when you think about it, Jill has always managed to steal Jessa's thunder. In fact, even going back to early videos, from what I see, its Jill trying to one up Jessa all the time, and then Jessa, trying, somewhat pathetically to do the same to her big sister.

Maybe, just maybe, its a Jill thing? 

4 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

I had good sleepers and they would sleep through at three weeks or less. I thought I was either lucky or I was doing a good job (or had double cream in my boobs as a friend suggested) . But now I am being told babies are not supposed to sleep through at that age and I starved them and should have woken them up. Still I am kind of glad I did not know that at the time! I enjoyed my sleep and my kids were/are fine.

Not at three weeks. The danger period is when they are tiny and could slip into a dehydration coma while asleep. Generally it's assumed that a baby having sufficient wet and dirty diapers and who has regained their birthweight can be allowed to sleep. This would normally be by around a week, or earlier. Of course, for your comfort or helping hold off your period many people do a dream feed before they go to sleep.

4 hours ago, shock928 said:

We will see how Jessa handles a second one. I don't buy for a minute that she's a super attentive, over achiever mom by any means. Or even that she keeps a tidy house. She has full access to help nearby and she probably uses it to her advantage. No fault in that occasionally but I bet she uses it a lot more than we see on TV. 

It's a lot different when you are working full-time and being a mom- and it's different when you have no help or babysitters and you're a SAHM and your SO works 8-10 hour days and every other weekend as well. It is hard work sometimes, for sure. I have to figure out how to have Dr. appointments and things I need to do around the kids schedule- it's not a complaint - it's just how it is right now. I have to keep a tight schedule for the kids. Somehow I just don't see Jessa needing anything as far as help goes.

As far as adoption goes - I hope they don't get to adopt for the children's sake. It takes very special people to have both biological and adopted kids and love them the same. Heck-- my brother and I are biological and he is clearly and blatantly the favorite. Same in my husband's family- 4 kids and 1 daughter is blatantly the favorite. Same with both grandma's - they both clearly had favorites. My SIL has two kids from a previous marriage who are much older than her new baby with her new husband and I can unfortunately see some signs of over-attention/coddling with the new baby over the first two from her first marriage.

It negatively affects the non-favorites. I read a TIME piece about the sciences behind siblings- and it polled that more than 50% of parents DID have a favorite. Not including families with step siblings, half-bio, adopted, or otherwise. It polled the parents of these kids- and most denied having favorites. Sorry to go off on a rant about it, but when parent's aren't aware and thoughtful about the way they treat their children then there can be negative consequences and favoritism occurring.... I'd hate to see that happen with an adopted child who doesn't deserve that.

I don't think they are educated and thoughtful enough to notice and try to equally not show favoritism, etc. to a child who isn't biologically theirs.

First, what makes you think she is not attentive? Second, She is able to tidy up enough for guests and camera crew when they come, it's hardly filthy so what's your point? I think it's good that she utilizes any help she gets. I regret not doing so, that doesn't make her an inattentive mother. I hope she does persue other interests, that is healthy. Having children changes most people for the better even selfish immature people. We are wired To instinctually love and protect our children. We all make mistakes.

What I find most offensive is your last statement. What does a person's education have to do with ability to notice and not show favoritism? She may lack thoughtfulness, and she is an immature twit . I don't think this equals her not being a loving mother. She is very young.

33 minutes ago, devoe364 said:

Okay, so I totally haven't read the entire thread, however I have a few thoughts:

1.  I pray to God/Allah/Budha/The Wicked Witch of the West/The Flying Spaghetti Monster that Jessa and I do not give birth on the same day or name our child/children the same thing.
  2.  If she is due in February, she has already had an ultrasound. Cheap as the Duggars are They know how many babies are in there, and since the Seewalds and Duggars are not the brightest crayons in the box, I am going to go with, yes, they are having twins.
  3. I honestly think Jessa was holding back this news as long as possible. I also know that women show much earlier in consequetive pregnancies then they do in the first. I am starting to get a bump and have met women less pregnant than me who look visibily pregnant already - they are usually having their second or third or moreth child.

I know that Jessa always get accused of trying to one up Jill, but when you think about it, Jill has always managed to steal Jessa's thunder. In fact, even going back to early videos, from what I see, its Jill trying to one up Jessa all the time, and then Jessa, trying, somewhat pathetically to do the same to her big sister.

1. With one kid named Spurgeon... I think you'll probably be ok name wise. :pb_lol:

2. That's assuming that the Duggars get legitimate medical care. If we go based off her last pregnancy, then that isn't too likely - they seemed to do the bare minimum required and there still has never been confirmation of her having an actual Midwife present during Spurgeon's birth. 

3. I don't blame her if she held back as long as she could. I wanted to keep my pregnancy quiet, but extenuating circumstances - namely horrific morning sickness and needing mom to watch my nephew while I got early bloodwork done - made that impossible. 

4. I don't think "smart" and "Derick" really belong in a sentence together ever. But I totally agree with the sentiment. Zika is not something you want to mess with if you're pregnant or trying to conceive. 

5. Honestly, one of them was going to get pregnant at some point. I'm not surprised that Jessa got pregnant first and I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been Jill first either.

As to the whole upstaging conversation - I've already talked about some of the "Jill upstaging Jessa" stuff from 19 Kids (namely, Jill getting engaged first, Jill marrying first, Jill announcing her pregnancy around Jessa's engagement, etc.)

Personally, I think a lot of stuff gets overblown. Happy news (and bad news too) tends to overlap in normal sized families and it overlaps even more in giant families. Not to mention, in a family that size there isn't a ton of attention to go around. A lot of the issues people have with both young women likely have their roots in needing to act a certain way to be sure they got some sort of attention from their parents - whether positive or negative.

43 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

First, what makes you think she is not attentive? Second, She is able to tidy up enough for guests and camera crew when they come, it's hardly filthy so what's your point? I think it's good that she utilizes any help she gets. I regret not doing so, that doesn't make her an inattentive mother. I hope she does persue other interests, that is healthy. Having children changes most people for the better even selfish immature people. We are wired To instinctually love and protect our children. We all make mistakes.

What I find most offensive is your last statement. What does a person's education have to do with ability to notice and not show favoritism? She may lack thoughtfulness, and she is an immature twit . I don't think this equals her not being a loving mother. She is very young.

Like I said in the first statement - no fault in using help nearby. My main point was that everyone is assuming it's going to be difficult for her to go from one to two and I was pointing out that it won't be as hard as normal people. People without 10 sisters and a family compound of help nearby. Which makes her more likely to have even more children - because Quiverfull, and tons of help. 

I never said she wasn't a  loving mother. Nor did I say she wasn't a good mom. Nor did I say that a house has to be spotless to be a good mom. But the Duggars seem to like everyone to think that they are the perfect housewives- IMHO. But the more kids she has- the more spread thin she will become. Just like anyone. And she has a home-school education from what we've seen on TV, one which was taught by mostly older siblings with not so much world experience. I suppose using "educated" and "favoritism" isn't the right wording perhaps I should have noted - that without being aware to having a pre-disposition to favoritism it makes it harder to correct and change and realize you're doing it. For example when moms may spend more time with a daughter or dad may spend more time with a son, or even a first born or a last born having the favoritism, which is common in some cultures and families. I was simply pointing out it would worry me for an adopted child's sake in that family. I'm just not sure why it came off offensive.

1 hour ago, alba said:

I'm watching GBBO right now and there's a contestant called Benjamina. I can see that as a name for Spud 2.0 if it's a girl.

Well, assuming they're continuing with a Christian Heroes/Nutty Preachers theme, Benjamin would obviously be in the running. Haven't you seen his Instagram? He's basically a theologian already. Just look at all of the books he's going to read this semester in bible school! Who would help but be touched by his deep insightful thoughts?

At least Mina is a cute nickname. Spurge is... well. No need to rehash.

1 hour ago, shock928 said:

Like I said in the first statement - no fault in using help nearby. My main point was that everyone is assuming it's going to be difficult for her to go from one to two and I was pointing out that it won't be as hard as normal people. People without 10 sisters and a family compound of help nearby. Which makes her more likely to have even more children - because Quiverfull, and tons of help. 

I never said she wasn't a  loving mother. Nor did I say she wasn't a good mom. Nor did I say that a house has to be spotless to be a good mom. But the Duggars seem to like everyone to think that they are the perfect housewives- IMHO. But the more kids she has- the more spread thin she will become. Just like anyone. And she has a home-school education from what we've seen on TV, one which was taught by mostly older siblings with not so much world experience. I suppose using "educated" and "favoritism" isn't the right wording perhaps I should have noted - that without being aware to having a pre-disposition to favoritism it makes it harder to correct and change and realize you're doing it. For example when moms may spend more time with a daughter or dad may spend more time with a son, or even a first born or a last born having the favoritism, which is common in some cultures and families. I was simply pointing out it would worry me for an adopted child's sake in that family. I'm just not sure why it came off offensive.

I completely misread your statement. Sorry. I'm not a fan of the Duggars and I can't  figure out why the assumption people are making that she won't be able to handle two babies bothers me so much. She has done it her whole life. It's hard at times but most people figure it out. I know plenty of people I don't like who are attentive and loving to thier kids. I don't agree with them on lots of parenting ideas but they are still loving and attentive. Again, sorry. I misread what you wrote.

Maybe  a boy After Huldrych Zwingli the Famous  Swiss reformation leader but that may be Too obscure for them. And lots people would Associate the name With Hetalia which would be a bit Ironic :)

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm due with a daughter early next year. Spare me if she turns out to be a great sleeper from the start? Please? :pb_lol:

Congratulations on Anna Elizabeth!!

2 hours ago, withaj said:

At least Mina is a cute nickname. Spurge is... well. No need to rehash.

I'm sure that child will, at some point, want a new name for Christmas.

4 hours ago, devoe364 said:

how can you tell she is having twins? this I wonder :)

The best bit of advice the baby nurse gave me was -- if you feel you are going to lose it, go out.  You will be less likely to lose it in public.

My eldest and I went out every day.  I would cook dinner during her morning nap and them we would be out.  Her colic started between 1 pm and 3 pm and go on until after midnight.  I went back to work when she was 6 weeks old.  I would hand screaming child to her father as he arrived from work, And I would work 6 pm till midnight .  Often she was just settling as I got home.  Husband said he walked the house for hours with her on his shoulder.  Baby number 2 was just as bad until we realised she was lactose intolerant.  My girls are 20 months apart and we had no family within an 8 hour drive so we had to muddle through on our own.  They have grown up to be wonderful young women.

7 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Me too. Finding out last night was ridiculously exciting. My husband and I couldn't stop grinning the entire appointment. We can't wait to meet her! :pb_biggrin:

Congratulations!

6 hours ago, alba said:

Oh God. Not like TFDW's Davia :5624798d10d1f_nayIsayno:

6 hours ago, alba said:

NO SPOILERS!!!!!! They don't show it to us in the States until next summer! They just finished off Nadiya's season three weeks ago! 

If its a boy they should name it Job, he can be a magician when he grow up.  haha

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:43 PM, FlamingFundie said:

Good grief. You'd think after that horrific first birth experience Jessa might put her foot down a bit.

*j-sigh*

But the panic of not having anything else at all in your life or your identity, I suppose it would drive you to take a chance again.

7 hours ago, kupcake said:

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask-a-geneticist/twin-genetics is the link I found on this - so it's not exactly genetic, but can run in families, absolutely - just like you said! My mother was a fraternal twin, and there are a bajillion of those on both sides of the fam. I secretly think that my sister stopped after one because she was scared of twins. I know I am, though I do love my twin mama!

My dad is a fraternal twin. And I know your chance increases as you get older. So at my first ultrasound I definitely held my breath since I didn't really want twins.

3 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

My dad is a fraternal twin. And I know your chance increases as you get older. So at my first ultrasound I definitely held my breath since I didn't really want twins.

My grandmother is a fraternal twin. I have a feeling I'll be destined for twins myself since I can seriously feel myself ovulate and a lot of the time that weird 'pinch' is on both sides. (Am I a weirdo or can other women feel that too?)

God help me if Jessa is having twins she better have them in a hospital. I follow a woman on YouTube who had twins; and she was able to birth them vaginally just fine. The hospital accommodated her desire and compromised by having the birth take place in an OR in case something went south.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived