IGNORED

Jinger's going to the chapel and gonna get married...

samurai_sarah

Family and few close friends at the wedding. Sounds like Jeremy and his family want a more dignified reception after the wedding. Jimbob will be disappointed if Jeremy's family is helping with the Reception and Jblob isn't in control.  Italians take their weddings and especially the receptions seriously. The most recent weddings I have been to in the last three years include A Cocktail Reception,  Viennese Hours, A few hours eating different dishes and then later cake cutting and more Viennese Hour with tables filled with Pastries and cookies.   There may even be some dancing.  Jeremys side of the family doesn't seem to be over fundie gothard followers like the Duggars.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Going to the Chapel is not nearly so bad as Son of a Preacher Man. At least to me. In fact, ever since I saw the thread name changed, Dusty is back.

I'm sorry for ever posting it on one of the previous threads ;) and putting it in the helpmeets heads 

No engagement ring here - Mr. Kyoo and I got married and told everyone else about it later. :)

The picture really doesn't do it justice - the inlay is blue/green opal and the colors shift a bit depending on how the light strikes it.  

ring.jpg

That's beautiful, Kyoo. Love opals.

We bought a plain emerald-cut ring for our engagement. for $400. in 1967. Just got it appraised for insurance.:pb_surprised:

And it has never occurred to me to be afraid riding the train in skanky places in NY & Atlanta, that it might put me in jeopardy, since I have never taken it off.

Now what am I going to do w/it when I die?

I think Jinger is going to be in for a little culture shock when she marries into an Italian family, Baptist or not.  Some pastors don't make enough at pastoring, so they do manual labor on the side. We had one who worked at Starbucks &  we ran into one digging a ditch for Con Ed (power co.) in NYC. Some farm.

As often as the Duggs were down in CA, I don't think they will be leaving Jinger alone for very long. And I sure don't think Jeremy is HALF as fundie as the Duggers. Maybe we'll see next week. Anybody know how big Loredo is? Is it like a big city now, or still a little western town? Don't know that part of the woods.

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

:pb_lol:

Here's my ring:

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpeg

Also featured in the background is the dog, the myth, the legend - the Velocipuppy. 

Reveal hidden contents

Proposal:

Husband took me to lunch at a dog themed pub and then we stopped for chocolates at our favorite local store (where husband worked in college.) Husband then proposed in the second bedroom of our condo in front of my bookshelves - because I'm a total nerd and bookworm. We got married last fall, three days shy of our second engagement anniversary. 

That is a lovely ring.

Velocipup is gorgeous.

I don't even have a photo of the original engagement ring. Four had mentioned at some point in our relationship that we should start looking at rings. I told him I didn't need an engagement ring. I'd rather have something practical that we could use, like a couch.

He did get me a 3/4 carat diamond round brilliant cut diamond ring with two little leaves and a tiny accent diamond. The leaves lay over my wedding band. It broke several times while I was working in hospital and finally couldn't be repaired. (FYI: It's probably not so much of a hazard, now, but back in the day, there was mercury in both the BP apparatus, the sphygmomanometer, and thermometers... and when they break, and mercury rolls across your hand, it immediately dissolves any welds in your rings. Just sayin')

So I, with Four's agreement, re-worked my diamond ring and a sapphire anniversary ring he gave me into TWO rings: The center stone of my engagement ring is now surrounded by sapphires of nearly the same size, and then two years ago, he added a slightly smaller diamond on each side of that..

The other ring is the large center sapphire of the anniversary ring, with a 1/4 carat diamond I just had laying around, and the accent diamond of my engagement ring, shaped in a comet like setting.

AFA the proposal? We were supposed to go out to dinner, and it was Valentine's Day. This was MONTHS after we'd looked at rings, and I was about to throw him out if he didn't get with it already.

So he Says he had planned to ask me after dinner, while we were having dessert, but he was too nervous, and he wanted to be able to eat. So as I was standing in my living room, one arm in, one arm out of my coat, he says, "Well? Will you marry me?" and I said, "yes."  It'll be a 30 year wedding anniversary in October.

Simple solitaires come in handy when

A. The girl has no idea what she wants. She can add more bling in the form of eternity bands later if she wants.

B. The dude has no idea what the girl wants. 

From what I understand, they didn't know each other all that well. And I have a feeling Jinger hasn't been signing into The Knot looking at engagement rings since the time she was a teenager to get a feel for what she likes. If I knew I could only have monitored chats with someone who could soon be my husband, I wouldn't spend that short amount of time talking about jewelry I liked. I would spend that time, I don't know, learning about the person I would have to spend the rest of my life with.

I don't get what's wrong with Jeremy's nails. He does have really short fingernails, though. I keep my nails as short as possible and they still go basically to the end of my fingertips. It would be really painful to cut them as short as Jeremy's!

4 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I don't get what's wrong with Jeremy's nails. He does have really short fingernails, though. I keep my nails as short as possible and they still go basically to the end of my fingertips. It would be really painful to cut them as short as Jeremy's!

there isn't anything wrong with his nails; I'd guess he's a nail-biter.  I've known several, and they all have very short nails like his.  I think it's just the contrast with her very nice manicure that makes them stand out so much. 

I like her ring. 

1 hour ago, Kyoo said:

No engagement ring here - Mr. Kyoo and I got married and told everyone else about it later. :)

The picture really doesn't do it justice - the inlay is blue/green opal and the colors shift a bit depending on how the light strikes it.  

ring.jpg

@Kyoo, this is GORGEOUS!!! I love opals (plus my favorite color is blue), so I really dig this ring. Is the metal silver, & what is on the border on the outside of the opal band?

The metal is titanium.  there isn't a border - the titanium part has a bezel to it and in the pic it looks like it's reflecting a bit of the opal.

21 minutes ago, catlady said:

there isn't anything wrong with his nails; I'd guess he's a nail-biter.  I've known several, and they all have very short nails like his.  I think it's just the contrast with her very nice manicure that makes them stand out so much. 

I like her ring. 

Her ring is pretty, yes.

I'm also a nail biter on occasion (hooray for anxiety), but I do let my nails get long enough sometimes until they annoy me (or until they break).

2 hours ago, MsSourPickle said:

Italians take their weddings and especially the receptions seriously. The most recent weddings I have been to in the last three years include A Cocktail Reception,  Viennese Hours, A few hours eating different dishes and then later cake cutting and more Viennese Hour with tables filled with Pastries and cookies. 

Ooooh yes,that's true. I've never been to an Italian wedding where only the eating part lasted less than 5 hours...:tw_meat:

I actually like her ring compared to most.  It's simple and prety.  I do wonder about the size of their wedding though.  What do they consider smaller

10 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

Her ring is pretty, yes.

I'm also a nail biter on occasion (hooray for anxiety), but I do let my nails get long enough sometimes until they annoy me (or until they break).

my late MIL was pretty much an addict.  if she sat down and didn't do anything with her hands, her fingers automatically went to her mouth.  sometimes she'd have a cigarette in one hand and bite the other hand between puffs.  a couple friends are the same way.  they've all tried things to break the habit with varying levels of success.  apparently that much biting keeps them so consistently short that the nail bed creeps back from the finger tip.  and, yep, biting is kind of a stress reaction.

I used to let my nails get to about 1/2 inch long (and meanwhile I worked weekends as a hotel maid).  I'd keep them long until I broke 2 or 3, then I'd cut them all off and start over.  once I tried fake tips on the broken ones, but they just felt wrong, so I gave up and never used them again.  I don't grow them out like that any more because they get in the way, and they always break in the garden now.  right now they're less than 1/8 inch long, and that's the most i'll let them go.  but I do love my glitter polish.

My engagement ring is an emerald solitaire, and my wedding ring is an emerald eternity band. The proposal happened after dinner. The next day, we went to my father's house. For shits and giggles, my husband asked for Daddy's permission. It was hilarious!

Here's the best photo I could find of my engagement ring. It was an eternity ring (quite ironic now that I'm divorced) with tiny diamonds and green stones.

My engagement story isn't spectacular. Me and my now ex husband were at a wedding of his cousin when we were 19. We'd been together for about 18 months and I told him that it'd be used some day. He said 'wait...have you just proposed?' And I said 'pretty much'. We then both said 'cool'. We didn't get married for another 4 years.

I'm also adding a photo of my blue wedding dress because I love it. Sorry not sorry!

20160818_210120.jpg

20160818_210307.jpg

That's my ring. Like I said, it's very similar to Jinger's (and that has nothing to do with my husband not knowing me prior to our wedding - we'd been together over six years - or me not nowing what I like - I just happen to like simple, classy rings like that).

Proposal was at home, in our bedroom, with a gazillion candles and heart-shaped balloons and my favorite song playing. It was simple and awesome. Like my ring. ;)

10286806_10206833356245114_1819719373426839253_o copy.jpg

My engagement ring is actually more of a wedding band. Yellow gold with tiny diamonds in it. I wanted something dainty and low profile because I have big hands. Wedding ring is a plain thin gold band that was my husband's grandma's. She was married over 50 years and had 11 kids. I hope the ring isn't some kind of fertility charm.

My fiance also chose a solitaire because he knew that's what I wanted- including the shape. The proposal was very simple in our dining room when I got home from work one afternoon. We went out for dinner afterwards and it was lovely :)

2015-09-04 18.31.10 (1).jpg

4 hours ago, Rosalie said:

Well. Living with an atheist, there will never be a ring on this gal's finger. We started dating 13 years ago, been living together for 11...

In Norway it is not common with separate engagement ring, the couple usually put on the wedding rings at engagement.

Hi fellow Norwegian!

I don't agree on the engagement ring though, it's pretty common with engagement rings, at least among my friends. They're not big and flashy, but it's definitely a trend.

3 hours ago, catlady said:

I like her ring. 

I think it's the dry cuticles and the contrast with her manicure. Which could have been less noticeable if the photographer had gotten shallower depth of field and more focus on the ring. The hand-holding is nice, but everyone knows the point of the photo is the ring, and you can't even see any sparkle in it much.

I'm single, so no ring at all for me, but I'm enjoying looking at the bling! I looked up diamonds recently for some reason I can't remember, and apparently it's a thing now for the guy to choose the diamond and buy it in a very plain solitaire "presentation setting" which I'm sure is partly a marketing ploy but makes a lot of sense to me. The idea is that he can buy the main stone, then they can go back later and have it re-set in the style she wants, while still having a ring in-hand for the proposal.

me: I'm pregnant again

him: guess we should get married

teeny tiny chip of a diamond in my engagement ring because we were dirt poor what with having a kid at 19 and all. I lost it years ago. Still have the man though :my_biggrin:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived