IGNORED

Had a bald eagle come by today

47of74

This morning we found a bald eagle sitting on top one of our trees.  I was able to get out the camera and telephoto lens and get a few pictures of it sitting on top of a tree.  It stayed up there a good half hour before flying off. 

DSC_1309.jpg

DSC_1311.jpg

DSC_1314.jpg

DSC_1317.jpg

These are really nice photos. Eagles always look so elegant. 

Ben Franklin wanted the turkey to be a national symbol instead of the eagle. Supposedly, turkeys can drown in the rain because they look up to see why they're getting wet.  (Don't know if this is really true). 

@catlady I'm with Ben Franklin. Eagles might look nice, but they are jerks. And they are terrifying. We have a nest in our neighborhood and I just do not care much for them. There's a campsite we like in a town that has hundreds of them, they are like pigeons in New York or seagulls in other communities. They are so loud and obnoxious and while all birds are jerks to some degree, eagles are extra jerky. I suppose Turkeys are pretty jerky too, come to think of it. Our nation bird should be the chicken, really. How cute is this?

Plus I'm pretty sure US is the largest consumer of chicken in the world. 

14 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

@catlady I'm with Ben Franklin. Eagles might look nice, but they are jerks. And they are terrifying. We have a nest in our neighborhood and I just do not care much for them. There's a campsite we like in a town that has hundreds of them, they are like pigeons in New York or seagulls in other communities. They are so loud and obnoxious and while all birds are jerks to some degree, eagles are extra jerky. I suppose Turkeys are pretty jerky too, come to think of it. Our nation bird should be the chicken, really. How cute is this?

Plus I'm pretty sure US is the largest consumer of chicken in the world. 

I bet The Hound agrees with ya about .the national bird being the chicken...

chicken.jpg

@47of74 Hahah to The Hound. 

I also realize that I forgot to say "nice pics" which they are. Subject matter being a jerk is a matter of opinion, after all :) 

14 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

@47of74 Hahah to The Hound. 

I also realize that I forgot to say "nice pics" which they are. Subject matter being a jerk is a matter of opinion, after all :) 

Thank you.  No problem. 

Even though eagles may be jerks I do like how one of them once told one Donald J. Trump off.

47of74 

Thankyou. Beautiful photos. You are so lucky to have seen such a beautiful bird close up.

Are you in Canada or America?

2 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

47of74 

Thankyou. Beautiful photos. You are so lucky to have seen such a beautiful bird close up.

Are you in Canada or America?

You're welcome.

I'm in Iowa near Dubuque.

I had my good DSLR handy and had a 55-200 lens so I put that on and was able to zoom up nice and close on the eagle.  I took the pictures from the house, I pulled the window down.  I was kind of concerned that by the time I went outside he'd either be gone or he'd get spooked by my coming out and fly off.  But he just sat and watched. 

10 hours ago, catlady said:

Ben Franklin wanted the turkey to be a national symbol instead of the eagle.

Turkeys are some large, scary birds, crossing the road.  When I saw this in the yard a few years ago, I was concerned.  Much more good-looking all browned on a platter at Thanksgiving.

turk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bored so have been looking at threads I've never seen before.  Great photos, @47of74.  I was quite addicted to the eagle cam in the National Arboretum which showed the nest of two bald Eagles (named Mr President and the First Lady.  Amazing to watch the chicks grow and fledge a few months back.

• 3 months later...

I LOVE bald eagles & always get excited when I see one in the wild (which doesn't happen all that often, but it does from time to time). Last one I saw was back in July.

I also love turkeys, too, & had a flock of them show up on the end of my street (I live on a dead end street) on Thanksgiving morning. I also saw the same flock (of about 10-12 turkeys) the other afternoon.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:02 PM, 47of74 said:

This morning we found a bald eagle sitting on top one of our trees.  I was able to get out the camera and telephoto lens and get a few pictures of it sitting on top of a tree.  It stayed up there a good half hour before flying off. 

DSC_1309.jpg

DSC_1311.jpg

DSC_1314.jpg

DSC_1317.jpg

Wish I could like these pictures 289457348957238904708923789 times. They are amazing!

Archived