IGNORED

New Mexico mother and son may face prison for incestuous relationship

47of74

Yikes.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3725551/Mother-36-son-19-fell-love-met-year-gave-adoption-baby-say-willing-risk-JAIL-defend-love.html#ixzz4Gr7sDSRJ

A mother and son whose forbidden love affair could land them each a lengthy jail sentence have declared they are 'madly in love' and nothing will tear them apart.

Monica Mares, 36, and her son Caleb Peterson, 19, face up to 18 months in prison if found guilty of incest at a trial later this year in New Mexico.

But the mother and son couple have vowed to fight for their right to have a sexual relationship and are appealing to the public to donate to their legal fund.

In an exclusive individual interviews with Daily Mail Online, they told how they are willing to risk everything to be together - and have decided to go public with their affair in a bid to raise awareness of Genetic Sexual Attraction (GSA) relationships. 

I'd think even Cersei Lannister would say dude that's really fucked up.

Ewwwwwwwwwww that is fucked up.

Normally I would be fine with any sexual/romantic relationship as long as it is between consenting adults, but parent/child is just something that really squicks me out.

If he came out of your vagina, he shouldn't be coming in it.

I'm going to throw up. The hell love? They have a problem.

Okay, now that I have read the article, at least she didn't raise him, I am slightly less disgusted. But they both need a to see a doctor like yesterday. But getting them into jail seems way too much for me. Aw fuck man, I don't even now, i'll just try not to puke

Mods, maybe this would be better in WWOS? I don't see anything fundy about these people.

Who I really feel bad for in all of this is her other eight children. She would willingly give up her right to see them in order to be together with her son/lover. I really hope they have someone in their lives who's stable.

He's a nice-looking young man. Obviously, that in no way makes it any less disgusting and horrifying for his biological mother to be sexually attracted to him (let alone acting on it!), but she's clearly completely fucked up, so I guess you can see where a completely fucked up person might feel that way. For him, it's even weirder. And I know he was an adult when this started, but just barely, so it still seems rather predatory.

I wonder if some deep unresolved regrets about never having had the parent-child bond make them seek out closeness and attachment in this manner.

9 hours ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

Ewwwwwwwwwww that is fucked up.

Normally I would be fine with any sexual/romantic relationship as long as it is between consenting adults, but parent/child is just something that really squicks me out.

If he came out of your vagina, he shouldn't be coming in it.

@ILoveJellybeans best line ever

This is just beyond gross. She looks much older than 36; I wonder what kind of life she has had :-(

I get genetic sexual attraction. I get how an 18 yo boy might not really fully understand what's going on with his feelings and urges. But wth, mom, use some discretion and self-control here. This is never in a million years okay. 

Mother-of-nine Mares said she would even give up the right to see her other children if she was asked to choose between them and her lover.

This is where I lost sympathy for her. 

'It felt like I met somebody new in my life and I fell in love with him,' she explained.

This says so much, and is really sad. They both are in need of therapy to understand the appropriate way to express 19 years of lost affection.

Gross, but assuming they told the truth about meeting after he was of legal age, it seems like they should probably be sentenced to court-mandated therapy instead of prison. Agreed that she should not have custody of her other children though, there's definitely something wrong with her.

42 minutes ago, brotherhusbandsgalore said:

Gross, but assuming they told the truth about meeting after he was of legal age, it seems like they should probably be sentenced to court-mandated therapy instead of prison. Agreed that she should not have custody of her other children though, there's definitely something wrong with her.

I agree. Assuming the relationship was consummated when the guy was of age (and there's no reason to believe otherwise), I think therapy would be more beneficial than prison for both parties. However, the fact that the woman would drop the kids she did have custody of to pursue an illegal and immoral sexual relationship with her long, lost son indicates that she is not fit to be a mother to anyone.

What drives me even more buts is some of the comments I've seen on the articles (I know, I know. Don't read the comments). People basically saying this is proof of the threatened slippery slope of legalizing same-sex marriage and relationships. 

17 minutes ago, Terrie said:

What drives me even more buts is some of the comments I've seen on the articles (I know, I know. Don't read the comments). People basically saying this is proof of the threatened slippery slope of legalizing same-sex marriage and relationships. 

I don't understand this logic. No one is defending this "relationship" except for the two people in it. No one is marching to have incestuous relationships legalized. There are no organized groups trying to have incest legalized. 1 Corinthians: 5 mentions a man caught in incest in the early church, so it's not like inappropriate relationships started in the 1960s.

I read the article a couple days ago, and I got the feeling that the writer was trying to make it all warm and fuzzy.  the article was pretty long, and most of the photos had this cutesy-posed feel.  it all bothered me, like someone's really trying to justify what they're doing.  had it been a father and daughter, I can't help but imagine there'd be more backlash (as it should for either gender arrangement), and far less "support."  yes, I think long-term therapy would benefit both of them far more than prison, and I also lost all sympathy for her over choosing her "relationship" over her other children.  they've both led difficult lives, but that's no excuse for this.

I find it disturbing but they may need to see a psychologist not to go to prison. Anyway i fail to see how can be illegal what adults do with their own bodies when there is mutual consent, that is an outdated law based on biblical cultural values that has no point in this century. Justice should offer to them therapy and if they dont want it or it doesnt work just leave them alone as long as they dont hurt anyone.  Also i dont think her other children should be deprived of a normal and healthy relationship with their mother even if she clearly is not the best mother, having a family is better than being separated and growing without love, they could end as damaged as the older kid already is.

59 minutes ago, Diana said:

I find it disturbing but they may need to see a psychologist not to go to prison. Anyway i fail to see how can be illegal what adults do with their own bodies when there is mutual consent, that is an outdated law based on biblical cultural values that has no point in this century. 

I do think there are ethical concerns outside of Biblical values. My issue with incest is that there is an inherent power imbalance. I remember Mackenzie Phillips talking about this when discussing her adult sexual relationship with her father. That makes it different from some other May-December romance. 

There's also the issue with the children of these relationships, and the stigmas they carry and family issues as a result of the relationship. As well as of course the medical issues with incest. Which is why laws against first cousin marriages are on the books. 

I'm still not sure it should be illegal, but I'm on the fence on this one.

1 hour ago, Diana said:

Anyway i fail to see how can be illegal what adults do with their own bodies when there is mutual consent, that is an outdated law based on biblical cultural values that has no point in this century.

I mean, anti-incest laws aren't a result of arbitrary moralizing. Reproducing with a close relative is a genetic landmine, and it can't possibly be psychologically healthy for either party, but particularly for the son (or daughter). And there IS still a limit to what you can do to another human, even with consent. You can't kill someone or amputate a healthy limb even with consent, because society has agreed that we have a vested interest in not allowing people to harm themselves. Allowing incest under the umbrella of consent would open up all kinds of opportunities for abusers to groom vulnerable young adults in their care to accept abuse once they are 18, then claim there's nothing wrong since they consented (aka- the Woody Allen defense!)

I will grant that this case may be somewhat different since this pair had not met until adulthood, and perhaps they would have grounds to contest the incest charge since he was adopted out and I suppose she is no longer his mother in the eyes of the law? Basically, it's such an egregious break from healthy behavior that i think that there needs to be a mechanism in place to terminate parental rights or guardianship of anyone who willingly engages in incest to protect other children or young adults in the household from manipulation or abuse.

Edit: Nausicaa beat me to the punch- the power imbalance is a huge factor!

Sure its not only in our culture and christian values that incest is taboo(but its the reason such law still exist in america, in Spain  all the laws that punished homosexuality, incest, polygamy... dont exist anymore since the democracy), but the reason is as you say that genetically is very bad and because of this we as humans developed in a way that we dont feel sexual desire for our inmediate relatives normally. Now incest is happening in cases like this where they grew up separately and this is a different situation, because other than being blood related this too people are like strangers, and also there is ways of birth control, and abortion so the genetic part its not a problem anymore. If we are objetive its not our bussiness what other people do with their freedom unless they hurt someone with it. You say its unhealthy, yes it is, for them, but how do you prove its unhelthy for her other children? if she is a loving mother and takes good care of them, does it matter who she is fucking? even if he is a good father figure, does it matter if he is genetically their brother? i dont think thats relevant really for the children, the only thing that can affect them badly is if their mother is judged by society or taken away from them.

17 hours ago, Diana said:

Also i dont think her other children should be deprived of a normal and healthy relationship with their mother even if she clearly is not the best mother, having a family is better than being separated and growing without love, they could end as damaged as the older kid already is.

I agree with everything else, but as this woman has said, she prefers to fuck her 19 year old son than to take care of her other children. She clearly has a problem and is unable to form proper affective bonds. Those two can do whaever the fuck they want (seeing a doctor should be the top priority) but those kids need to be raised by someone that is mentally okay

Genetic Sexual Attraction is a thing but people "raising awareness" are usually trying to warn people and prevent them from falling into an abnormal family relationship not trying to promote the idea as okay.

I re-read the article and perhaps I am missing something - did they know about their mother/son relationship when they met and started the relationship, or was this by chance and then .... an OMG moment later?

Not that it makes it right, I am just wondering.

10 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

I re-read the article and perhaps I am missing something - did they know about their mother/son relationship when they met and started the relationship, or was this by chance and then .... an OMG moment later?

Not that it makes it right, I am just wondering.

I think they reunited as mother and son, then the icky stuff started after they spent some time getting to know each other better.

Icky indeed, then.  I was thinking something along the Joe Dirt movie when he thought he hit on his sister, after the fact.

Thanks for providing the insight.  

And ick again.

Ick.  Can I just say it again? Ick.

On 13/8/2016 at 6:06 PM, Fundie Bunny said:

I agree with everything else, but as this woman has said, she prefers to fuck her 19 year old son than to take care of her other children. She clearly has a problem and is unable to form proper affective bonds. Those two can do whaever the fuck they want (seeing a doctor should be the top priority) but those kids need to be raised by someone that is mentally okay

But how do you know she is unable to form proper affective bonds? she was unable to form a mother affective bond with the son she didnt raised, but she may have raised the others and formed a normal affective bond with them. So taking away the kids from her unless you prove she is not raising the kids properly would only be a way to punish her because you find inmoral that she is fucking her biological son. And saying "she prefers to fuck her son than being with them" its not an objetive reason to justify takign away the kids from her, its like sayin "that woman prefered to commit a crime and go to prison than staying away from trouble so she doesnt deserve to raise them when she gets out even if she loves them and is a good mother" .

Archived