IGNORED

Stranger Things on Netflix

Maggie Mae

Anyone else watching this? It's a Netflix original. I love the 80s movie feeling. 

It's weird though. I don't know what to think about the actual plot. It's also so weird to see Winona Ryder playing a mom. 

• Upvote 9

I love this show!! I think it's funny that the only actor I recognize is Winona Ryder and she's not the main character.

A friend of mine said it was like a cross between X-files and The Goonies and I think that is an apt representation. 

I love that the kids are the focus and I'm really hoping for a second season.  8 episodes is just too short!

• Upvote 4

Binged it and loved. The creators haven't done much else but are big fans of Spielberg and King and John Carpenter. All shows through.

..I love it.

Love Winona always.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Binged it and loved. The creators haven't done much else but are big fans of Spielberg and King and John Carpenter. All shows through.

..I love it.

Love Winona always.

I like it a lot and I love being able to pick up on some of these references. But I'm not sure I want to watch it again right away. I've got a million 70s/80s/90s films to rewatch. Or watch for the first time (Firestarter, I'm looking at you.) 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

It has been renewed for a second season.

Do you have a source for this?  

https://www.google.com/amp/consequenceofsound.net/2016/08/netflix-execs-say-they-would-be-dumb-not-to-renew-stranger-things/amp/?client=safari

Netflix isn't known for it's transparency; like how they never release ratings. But every single one of their original programming series has been given at least a 2nd season. And for an exec to say this, I'd take it as a 100% guarantee that it has been renewed.

They'd have to be STUPID to not! lol

Also binged watched it. It was class and a real blast from the past. Been recommending it to all and sundry.

• Upvote 3

I don't know if I need to rewatch it. I'll be there for a season 2 but if it had just been a one off I think that would have been fine. It was like watching a 7 hr. movie. A lovingly crafted tribute to many of my favorite movie tropes.

I do think Netflix original programming is running on high. This new Baz luhrmann disco rap thing looks pretty good.

• Upvote 4

I loved it! I'm also skeptical about a second season, as to what that'll look like, but excited nonetheless.

AliceinFundyland, you're so right. Netflix is going VERY strong right now I think. I wonder if it's trying to establish itself as a channel in its own right as well as a streaming service.

• Upvote 4

My guess is that the second season would be a whole new story. Make it an anthology series.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

My guess is that the second season would be a whole new story. Make it an anthology series.

I think the creators were pretty clear about it being a sequel. I'm worried how it will turn out. There was a poll from Netflix about likes and dislikes of the current season. I'd rather not it be a pandering mess. LIke, one of the questions was

Spoiler

Would you like to see more Barb? 

• Upvote 2

My husband and I really enjoyed watching this show. Since we were both teenagers in the 80s, there was a lot of pausing to point out things that the prop people had obviously done their homework on. I bet that Will's mom was supposed to be making Bacardi rum cakes in that scene in the last episode where she's surrounded by Bundt cakes. Those were very popular around that time.

Nice trip down memory lane for us. :pb_smile:

• Upvote 2

Ugh. I hope they don't do any pandering. I don't think something like this needs to be 100% original because it's so clearly loving and well-thought out. If they have a good idea to carry their vision into a second season..I think that can roll on. I don't see 5 more seasons, but a couple could work, especially if they have a plan. You need a plan.

• Upvote 1

My husband and I loved it. We watched it straight through...twice. I'm looking forward to the sequel season and finding out what happened to El. 

I didn't think I would need to rewatch it, but I watched the first episode with my dad and sister and I missed SO FUCKING MUCH. I almost couldn't believe it. 

Also, it seems as though this was very well though-out between the brothers who created it. They said there exists a 30 page document of the (spoilers)

Spoiler

monster and why there is only one and where he came from and why he exists and all of that

So even if the second season discussed more about what is in the 30 page document, we could maybe get a second season revolving around that plus some tying up of loose ends from season 1.

I am just so in love with the kids in this show. I love that they are kids playing kids and not grown ups playing teenagers (like Pretty Little Liars) It's so much more compelling that way.

I also liked that one of the creators said he made it PG-13 and not rated R or go the other way and rate it PG because he said if he was 11 he would want to feel really cool watching a "grown up" show about kids.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I love it. I've watched the whole season in 3 days (yeah, holidays). I suppose that 80's memories touched my heart.

• Upvote 4

On 8/7/2016 at 1:01 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

I don't know if I need to rewatch it. I'll be there for a season 2 but if it had just been a one off I think that would have been fine. It was like watching a 7 hr. movie. A lovingly crafted tribute to many of my favorite movie tropes.

I do think Netflix original programming is running on high. This new Baz luhrmann disco rap thing looks pretty good.

The Get Down!  
I just watched the first two, and I'm not exactly sure what I think of it - some of the plot points seem a bit scattered, and the tone is all over the place - but, so far I'm finding it really fun and the music is amazing!

Haven't watched "Stranger Things" but from what you guys are describing it sounds like something I'd really like. 

• Upvote 2

Okay, so, Netflix finally made an official announcement that there will be a season 2... Looks to be a direct continuation.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished it and enjoyed it. But everyone I know hyped it up so much beforehand that I think that made me expect too much maybe. It was good but not my favorite show ever. It felt a bit like the X-Files and also Fringe.

• 2 weeks later...

Born in the 80's, child in the 80's - had so many memories flooding back with the nostalgia.

We had a Garfield telephone back then! When you picked it up, Garfield's eyes would open and close again when you hung up.

It was very heavy and not the type of thing I binged watched as I wanted to concentrate when watching. I watched all 8 episodes probably in a space of two weeks though.

I'm not usually in to Sci-Fi all that much, the last outing in that Genre would've been Buffy seasons 1 -8. However, I think it was rather good and it leaves you guessing. 

Winona Ryder was wonderful in it and you have so much feeling for her character. 

7 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

Born in the 80's, child in the 80's - had so many memories flooding back with the nostalgia.

We had a Garfield telephone back then! When you picked it up, Garfield's eyes would open and close again when you hung up.

It was very heavy and not the type of thing I binged watched as I wanted to concentrate when watching. I watched all 8 episodes probably in a space of two weeks though.

I'm not usually in to Sci-Fi all that much, the last outing in that Genre would've been Buffy seasons 1 -8. However, I think it was rather good and it leaves you guessing. 

Winona Ryder was wonderful in it and you have so much feeling for her character. 

I keep thinking about when the kids are stealing pudding from the school cafeteria. Pudding in pop-top metal cans! Blast from the past. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 1

The child actors certainly make the show. I do find it interesting one of the actors is able to highlight a not well known disability. The kids also are cast in such a way you believe they could have been from the 1980's. A pet peeve of mine is if you watch an actor and go nope not buying them in the time period. The nods to iconic 80's movies feel natural and as someone else mentioned it could work well as an anthology type show. Netflix certainly manages to create buzz for their shows. I am waiting for season 2 of F is for Family to drop. Some shows like any venture are not going to be well done or simply don't appeal to everyone. The only show I can say I haven't enjoyed was the ranch due to it's mediocre writing, which had me going no Netflix you should have passed on this and told the creators go find another place to drop this load of bull crap.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
Spoiler

image.png.c776ac1bcb71eedc558e1a37e17476dd.png

Tweets with different promotional posters for the upcoming season are under the second spoiler.

Spoiler

Twitter was acting wonky while I was copying the tweets. Hopefully it's back to normal by the time you see this.

• Thank You 2