IGNORED

S'morton Bret Alan Smith Jailed (2)

SpoonfulOSugar

4 hours ago, PopRox said:

Thank you so much for this. I also survived abuse when I was small, and recently was betrayed/emotionally abused by a friend someone I had trusted. Was feeling really sad about it today, so this post really struck a chord. Thank you.

take good care :)

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems like Jacqueline Smith is back to being "active" on Facebook, after her break since his arrest ...

And yet, she deleted comments that were true, but that she didn't agree with.

Looks like Adeline Morton is calling her out on deleting comments.

Good for her. Mrs. Smith is vile, for many reasons. I'm glad one of her inner circle is calling her out, even on the small thing of deleting comments.

5 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Looks like Adeline Morton is calling her out on deleting comments.

Good for her. Mrs. Smith is vile, for many reasons. I'm glad one of her inner circle is calling her out, even on the small thing of deleting comments.

Haha just spotted that too! Managed to grab a screenshot! Seems like Granny Scarlett is still whinging on about forgiveness etc. :popcorn:

Spoiler

2016-09-05 (1).png

Haha WOW way to go Addie. I'm not sure I would be comfortable calling out one of my parents' generation on fb, I can't imagine how much boldness that took when you're raised in a culture that demands ultimate deference to "adults". 

Did anyone catch the comment that was deleted? I wonder what it said. 

On 8/31/2016 at 10:16 AM, Letgo said:

A woman I know, one who attended college and has a master's degree, home schooled her children, none of whom attended college, said that higher education is contrary to her goals. She says that if girls are meant to be wives and mothers, why should they be educated? It would only tempt them to have other life choices. Having a career or even part time job prior to marriage and family might prove to be too much temptation. They might like the income, the work, the limited hours, and the freedom that working outside the home could bring. She said something along the lines of, "We are fooling ourselves if we think that we can send our daughters to college and educate them to have a career, then expect them to give it up and stay home. Plus, it's a waste of money to pay for an education and then not use it. Our daughters won't be going to college. They don't need it. They can learn everything they need to know for their futures at home. Also, college is full of anti-Christian teachings and behavior and we don't want to expose them to those things."

Yes! This! Exactly! (Pardon all the exclamation points. These last two pages of this thread have been incredibly painful to read as a mother of daughters.) This was the culture we raised our children in. How could we have been so blinded? I still shake my head in mystification.

I am devastated to hear from other survivors that you never get past it, you compartmentalize it. I can never get those years back for them, and it drives me to despair. All I can do is support them now (emotionally, and financially so far as I can manage, in things like therapy, and cheerleading and being a nonjudgmental ear when they want to talk) as they learn to live as independent adults.

I grieve for the damage we did to them while we were drinking the koolade, and for the people we know who are still drinking deeply.

But I don't mean to wallow and be annoying to the FJ community, so I'll stop here, with simple and heartfelt best wishes and salud to you survivors who are out there, learning to live with one of your aims (just one, I realize there are more) being not hurting others.

Sorry if this is lamely expressed. Having a difficult time expressing this. There are fundie mothers who meant everything for the best, yet did just as much damage as the control-freak narcissists, and have a hard time living with it after waking up from the spell.

signed,
me (not fundie anymore, not able to change the past, but trying hard to change the future)

@refugee I can see why it's easier to double down, and ignore any signs you might have been wrong, so massive kudos to you for getting out before more harm could be done.  Here's to a great life for you and your daughters

Haha WOW way to go Addie. I'm not sure I would be comfortable calling out one of my parents' generation on fb, I can't imagine how much boldness that took when you're raised in a culture that demands ultimate deference to "adults". 

Did anyone catch the comment that was deleted? I wonder what it said. 

Something about biblically calling out sin, Matthew 18:15-17.

I think forgiveness is a good thing and I am all for it. Forgiveness doesn't mean you pretend it never happened, it does not mean people don't have to face consequences of actions, and it isn't something you can switch on. It's a process. It helps when there is some sort of remorse expressed, and compassion shown toward the victims. These people seem to want to skip all that.

Blathering about forgiveness when a child has been raped by a close relative just seems like a huge fuck you to the victim. JMO.

19 minutes ago, refugee said:

Yes! This! Exactly! (Pardon all the exclamation points. These last two pages of this thread have been incredibly painful to read as a mother of daughters.) This was the culture we raised our children in. How could we have been so blinded? I still shake my head in mystification.

I am devastated to hear from other survivors that you never get past it, you compartmentalize it. I can never get those years back for them, and it drives me to despair. All I can do is support them now (emotionally, and financially so far as I can manage, in things like therapy, and cheerleading and being a nonjudgmental ear when they want to talk) as they learn to live as independent adults.

I grieve for the damage we did to them while we were drinking the koolade, and for the people we know who are still drinking deeply.

But I don't mean to wallow and be annoying to the FJ community, so I'll stop here, with simple and heartfelt best wishes and salud to you survivors who are out there, learning to live with one of your aims (just one, I realize there are more) being not hurting others.

Sorry if this is lamely expressed. Having a difficult time expressing this. There are fundie mothers who meant everything for the best, yet did just as much damage as the control-freak narcissists, and have a hard time living with it after waking up from the spell.

signed,
me (not fundie anymore, not able to change the past, but trying hard to change the future)

We have stood on the fringes of this culture,  homeschooling,  attending a FIC for most of my children's lives,  essentially holding the coolaid to my mouth but not taking a sip.  We would often dicuss things we disagreed with with our children,  but we remained in the community.  But my children,  especially my older girls were still effected,  and even harmed by the teachings in the subculture.  

I often worried my own liberal ideas I couldn't let go of,  my own difficulty in fully believing, and my inability to teach anything as completely black and white was negatively impacting my kids.  I'd see my friends kids believing something so completely without reservation and I wanted to give that to my kids, but I just couldn't.  It seems like a simpler less conflicted way to live, when you only see one side of an argument. 

When someone says this is the answer to life,  believe this and live by it and your children won't sin or struggle,  you want to believe it's true.  Who doesn't want their kids to have the best opportunity in life.  For some people that may mean tthe best schools,  for others that means the best belief system.  

Anyway,  I know,  @refugeeyou did what you thought was best for your kids at the time.  You are right that we can't go back.  But those years are part off your kids make up and their unique stories.  It can be used for good.  

4 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Blathering about forgiveness when a child has been raped by a close relative just seems like a huge fuck you to the victim. JMO.

It's awful. If I didn't see it for myself I wouldn't believe it was true. 

Maybe they need to learn to forgive the victim......for not forgiving.....or for telling......or for ......I don't know....but they seem upset that people are upset about a child being raped. Makes a person think.

39 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

We have stood on the fringes of this culture,  homeschooling,  attending a FIC for most of my children's lives,  essentially holding the coolaid to my mouth but not taking a sip.  We would often dicuss things we disagreed with with our children,  but we remained in the community.  But my children,  especially my older girls were still effected,  and even harmed by the teachings in the subculture.  

I often worried my own liberal ideas I couldn't let go of,  my own difficulty in fully believing, and my inability to teach anything as completely black and white was negatively impacting my kids.  I'd see my friends kids believing something so completely without reservation and I wanted to give that to my kids, but I just couldn't.  It seems like a simpler less conflicted way to live, when you only see one side of an argument. 

When someone says this is the answer to life,  believe this and live by it and your children won't sin or struggle,  you want to believe it's true.  Who doesn't want their kids to have the best opportunity in life.  For some people that may mean tthe best schools,  for others that means the best belief system.  

Anyway,  I know,  @refugeeyou did what you thought was best for your kids at the time.  You are right that we can't go back.  But those years are part off your kids make up and their unique stories.  It can be used for good.  

Amen to this. I've wondered how much damage those on the fringes take. You've confirmed my suspicions. (I have a friend in our old church who won't leave because their adult children are firmly enmeshed, and they don't want to split the family. I've told this friend that they need to get out, for the sake of their younger children. They think that just discussing their differences and keeping a close eye on their kids will be enough. Sigh.)

I am hoping for the best for our adult children. They know I'm there for them.

37 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Maybe they need to learn to forgive the victim......for not forgiving.....or for telling......or for ......I don't know....but they seem upset that people are upset about a child being raped. Makes a person think.

I guess their take is "Rapists have feelings, too."

It's part of their sin-leveling belief system. If they're like people we used to hang out with, they truly believe that everyone is a sinner and "there but for the grace of God go I" -- meaning everyone is a potential rapist, and only being in a strict, legalistic belief system that controls your every move and thought can possibly save you from that fate. Not that it saved Smith...

You're also taught to believe that everyone outside the circle of faith is evil, wants to steal and corrupt your children. (Not that Smith avoided stealing at least one child's innocence while inside the magic circle of protection.)

Since leaving the church, we've found "pagans" (yes, people outside the kind of "church" we belonged to are actually referred to by that term, meant as derisively as if they were actually burning their children on a statue of Molech) to be kinder, more loving, more willing to help without strings attached, overall better human beings than many of those we left behind.

p.s. have joined the ranks of the "pagans" -- as that "church" would identify us, since we've left their "true faith" so I apologize for any offense in my having used the term to illustrate that "church's" attitude toward outsiders. I know the term is used seriously by some, and not as a pejorative. 

Yes, there are good people we know who are in the "church" -- somehow they are good in spite of the teachings there. Though they would insist it was because of the teachings there.

ETA: So when one of the "righteous" breaks out and does something evil (Duggar, Smith, Phillips, Gothard, etc.) it only confirms their belief that religion is all that restrains themselves from doing something heinous. And so they dig in deeper.

I know you're not supposed to throw any stones if you're ever sinned your

14 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

And I'm pretty sure this Christian forgiveness thingy only applies here because it was the golden boy who got arrested, one of their own. If it was a random greenhaired heathen the quotes would be about hellfire and damnation and the consequences of sin.

1 hour ago, picklepizzas said:

Dollars to donuts that Addie is empowered to say such things because the Morton family is thinking & saying them. Good for them.

Wasn't it mentioned at some point that Addie and Jeanine sometimes use each others phones? So for all we know it might even be Jeanine posting off Addie's account!

It's not even the grandma's business forgiving the sinner here I think... It's a job for God, and  for the victim , if/when it's the right thing to do for his/her own healing. Everybody else just needs to make damn sure he can't hurt anybody else ever again.

Jesus forgave the robber on the cross, but the guy still died there, Jesus didn't set him free and say "you don't have to suffer the earthly punishment for your crimes".

45 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

So five bucks says that we have seen the last Smith-Morton wedding...

I thought they would of exhausted all the Smith-Morton marriage options already... (thank goodness)

Want to see what happens when fundies fight? Watch Jacque's Facebook. A friend has already 'come to her defense' and I see some snark. It could get interesting. 

Whoa!  Huge props to Rachel (her daughter) who just called her out too!  Nice!  (And her other daughter Bethany liked the comment!!)

facebook-comment.jpg

Scripture should never be offensive to Gods people. Forgiveness and consequences for sin are both from the Lord. If someone murders someone you forgive them, and you also make sure they go to prison. There are other sins that require the same action. If you do not believe God still uses the civil authorities to punish certain crimes then I'm not sure why you would support the police force in any way.

Pretty interesting comment from Rachel Morton. Good to see how supportive she appears to be being! Can't wait to see how this all goes down though its gone past midnight here where I live so I doubt much of this blow up will be left on fb by the morning.

Weren't both Bethany and Rachel born in the Smith family? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Smith family home right now!

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived