IGNORED

S'morton Bret Alan Smith Jailed (2)

SpoonfulOSugar

On Tuesday, July 26, the Moultrie, GA newspaper reported:

Bret Alan Smith of Griffin was arrested on Monday after an investigation conducted by the Colquitt County Sheriff’s Office and the local office of the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services.

The activity of which Smith is accused occurred over a roughly three-year period, sheriff’s Sgt. Austin Cannon said. Investigators held interviews with the alleged victim in the case and more than a half-dozen other children at Hero House Children’s Advocacy Center of Colquitt County in Moultrie.

No additional victims were identified during those interviews, Cannon said.

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/local_news/man-accused-of-incest-other-sex-crimes/article_2319ac58-5388-11e6-bae2-57376db5cc29.html

Smith is part of the infamous S'morton families - which have a complicated interweaving of marriages, beliefs, and general WTF'ery.

Family archive here:  http://www.freejinger.org/forum/307-smortons-smiths-mortons-and-sanders/

Previous thread here:

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there somewhere where there is a list of the Morton's public instagrams?  I've tried searching and with the name 'Morton' there are so many options coming up that I have no clue which are the S'Mortons and which are other people's.

1 hour ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Is there somewhere where there is a list of the Morton's public instagrams?  I've tried searching and with the name 'Morton' there are so many options coming up that I have no clue which are the S'Mortons and which are other people's.

I was just thinking the same! I only have a few identified and it would be helpful! I don't follow them just look for updates from time to time. 

If this is against the rules to post please feel free to delete, these are the two I know

michaels_jeanine - Mom

tayte_and_martha - Martha and Tayte Alexander

I know that Addie (adeline_grace91), Michael Jr. (morton1564), Kressant (kr_essence), Dorothy (noah_dorothy) and Katie (sweetbabybirds) all have but are private.

4 minutes ago, pikapika said:

I was just thinking the same! I only have a few identified and it would be helpful! I don't follow them just look for updates from time to time. 

If this is against the rules to post please feel free to delete, these are the two I know

michaels_jeanine - Mom

tayte_and_martha - Martha and Tayte Alexander

I know that Addie (adeline_grace91), Michael Jr. (morton1564), Kressant (kr_essence), Dorothy (noah_dorothy) and Katie (sweetbabybirds) all have but are private.

Kennedy Morton (Andrew's wife) is @kenideck

Andrew Morton (Tom) is @tom_calathora (posts pics of Kennedy once in a while, and now, their baby Mia)
Was also responsible for posting the gofundme page about Katie his older sister

Alyssa Morton is @lyssarose94 (hasn't updated since her wedding)

John Morton is @john.morton98 (looks like he just created a new IG recently)

Someone commented about John's photo of Katie, "She's a real trooper!" 

Seriously??? "A real trooper" is the mom who goes out of her way to make awesome costumes for Halloween or raise money to buy new Little League uniforms. Not the mom who just found out that the man she pledged her entire life to is likely a pedophile and that she'll have to raise 8 children alone with absolutely no real-world skills! Way to trivialize the immense pain and suffering this woman is experiencing, damn.

47 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Seriously??? "A real trooper" is the mom who goes out of her way to make awesome costumes for Halloween or raise money to buy new Little League uniforms. Not the mom who just found out that the man she pledged her entire life to is likely a pedophile and that she'll have to raise 8 children alone with absolutely no real-world skills! Way to trivialize the immense pain and suffering this woman is experiencing, damn.

You're absolutely right, and unfortunately I would bet his statement has something to do with Katie keeping a meek and sweet attitude during this mess.

Thank you for the Instagram names. Andrew's is interesting as the person who started the gofundme, as in a post from not very long ago he describes his wife with a not very fundie-esque "sexy lady". Perhaps he is becoming a bit more worldly and that has helped give him some more perspective on the situation?

Ah, sorry- just saw that he is the one who posted it publicly but that it was started by another brother. Still, I find his whole Instagram and his relationship with Kennedy far more worldly than I was expecting from the stories of the Mortons that I've read here.  He seems to truly respect his wife, so it doesn't surprise me that he is supporting his sister 

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

Agree with this 100%, but it's also difficult to parse these people's comments. Another one on the same photo says:

Brave, grace filled woman!!!! And definitely a hero!

Don't want to speculate so will just say that it's quite possible that "brave" and "hero" don't mean the same things to the commenter that they would mean to me in such circumstances.

1 minute ago, hoipolloi said:

Don't want to speculate so will just say that it's quite possible that "brave" and "hero" don't mean the same things to the commenter that they would mean to me in such circumstances.

Maybe she was the one who reported him. If that is the case I see her as being brave and a hero. As someone else said she has pledged her whole self and life to this man and if she did report him basically went against everything she grew up being taught about husband's and wife's and how they should act.

49 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Agree with this 100%, but it's also difficult to parse these people's comments.

I need to keep reminding myself that these are SOTDRT graduates, who have been brought up in a very isolated culture that's looking to the past, not engaging with The World etc, so there might be word choices that someone with a different education wouldn't choose, but they're not necessarily using the same nuances we would.  

I guess what I'm saying is that I feel a bit uncomfortable judging them on words and phrases, when the meaning - supporting Katie - is clear.  But of course that's just me, other people's mileage will vary.   

In  this situation braveness might consist of of calling 911 and reporting his headship's sorry ass ASAP,  (if Katie was the one to find out),  cooperating with the police in every way and getting those kids and herself all the help they need. That would be a hero in my eyes.  Of course  my mindset does not always concur with the fundie value system.  

Honestly I couldn't really blame her if she was a hot mess at the moment, but I hope she is well enough to be those kids' hero.  

Heck, I'm genuinely happy some other family is supporting her the way they are. They already have exceeded my expectations. This is one of those times I am glad to be wrong.

Based on the comments, I am hoping Katie is being celebrated by all her friends and family for discovering the situation and taking swift and serious steps to protect her kids immediately. Adeline said she was so proud of her, lots of " brave"  "hero" being thrown out there...

Doesnt that news article say it happened over a tree year period ? :-( this whole thing makes me sick, but I am thrilled to see the Morton's out in full support of Katie. 

Also, did anyone else see that thing on Captn Brets FB about a month ago about "Daniels" legal defense...any ideas what that's about ? I don't have a FB account so I couldn't see much on his page.  

I'm also in the camp of not judging their words. I feel it's obvious they are intending to show their public support. Unfortunately it's hard to know what to say in these situations- fundie or not. If Katie is managing to take care of herself and her children through all of this (while also recovering from birth), that seems pretty heroic. Does anyone know if the Morton parents are still stateside? I hope so for Katie's sake. 

Sorry, this is almost certainly a silly question but...

Has Alan Smith been convicted and jailed or is he in jail pending a trial or is this all moot because cases like this don't go to a formal trial? 

In any case, no matter how oddly the Morton/their friends might phrase their support - I am glad that they are publicly standing with Katie. In the fundy culture it seems that it is the older men who are designated as the leaders, but in this case it seems to be the younger brothers and the women who are leading the charge in publicly providing support both with words and practically with a go fund me. I hope that the older brothers and her father are equally supportive privately.

16 minutes ago, browngrl said:

Sorry, this is almost certainly a silly question but...

Has Alan Smith been convicted and jailed or is he in jail pending a trial or is this all moot because cases like this don't go to a formal trial? 

In any case, no matter how oddly the Morton/their friends might phrase their support - I am glad that they are publicly standing with Katie. In the fundy culture it seems that it is the older men who are designated as the leaders, but in this case it seems to be the younger brothers and the women who are leading the charge in publicly providing support both with words and practically with a go fund me. I hope that the older brothers and her father are equally supportive privately.

He's been arrested and probably formally charged, with additional charges possibly pending in another county. (I think Georgia requires charges to come within 72 hours of arrest, but the charges in Ashburn may not be on a strict time table since he's already in custody.) He hasn't been to court yet for an arraignment, so at this point, we don't even know if he's planning on contesting the charges. So, no conviction. He's been in jail since the 25th or 26th of July. I'm guessing that any possible future court appearances will be dictated by the strength of the case as well as Alan's willingness to cooperate if he knows he's guilty. 

Wow.... I'm surprised he hasn't been arraigned yet.... things must work differently in Georgia. Here, you are almost always arraigned the day after your arrest (unless it's on a weekend or a holiday, then it's the next business day.)

*when the rescue ferrets take you on a side road. . .*

So I was just looking at links, and I found this

http://thedigitaltutor-com.3dcartstores.com/Terebinth-Contracting_ep_43-1.html

Apparently this link is for their air conditioning company.  However?

I don't understand the trumpet in the picture at the very bottom of the page.  I am confused why it would be there for an air conditioning business?

1 hour ago, snowgirl said:

I don't understand the trumpet in the picture at the very bottom of the page.  I am confused why it would be there for an air conditioning business?

Under additional services at the very bottom of the page, it says music and Christian music performance. So I assume that's why. Made me chuckle at how out of place it looked.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned but there's an August 3 post on Rachel and Wesley Morton's blog (previous post was dated 2013) with bible quotes regarding guilt.  Linked in profile for instagram user @rachelleamorton 

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived