IGNORED

Maxhell- Summer with the Maxwells Pt 3

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, bertnee said:

Did the Maxwells really white-out the lyrics to Row Row Row Your Boat?? The blog with the Maxwell summary said that, but that sounds beyond ridiculous...even for the Maxwells. 

I had to go to the wayback machine to find the article that used to be on their site regarding learning instruments.

http://web.archive.org/web/20061205193230/http://www.familiesforjesus.com/music

I don't see where Steve mentions specifically Row Row Your Boat, but he does mention whiting out lyrics in secular beginners material.  Since Row Row, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, etc. would be the types of tunes a beginner would learn to play, I imagine he did white Row Row lyrics out.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this stage, I wouldn't put anything past Stevehovah. He's nuts. (To put it very mildly).

Why would any of them be late for a meal? They don't go anywhere unless they are together. This reminds me of the little house on the prairie books where everyone had breakfast, lunch and dinner together all the time. Lunch might be late if Pa was late but after awhile they would just go ahead and eat since he never paid attention to the time when out hunting. 

I bet it would surprise the Maxwells that there are families right now eating dinner on the couch or floor while watching the opening ceremonies and being happy together even though they are not talking about death or cleaning ceiling fans. Or that families can be extremely close and still not eat every meal with each other or even see each other everyday. When I was a kid we used to eat dinner in front of the tv while we watched/played wheel of fortune and jeopardy and kept score to see who won. Those are the times I remember. There is more than the Maxwell way to spend mealtimes with family. They spend a lot of time together but I don't think much of it would be considered quality time. How can it be when you are just following a schedule someone else has set and are not allowed to deviate from it?

Is snacking permitted?  If so, is permission required?  Memos in triplicate requesting specific food, quantity, any preparation requirements (e.g., cooking) and intended time interval for consumption?  

On 05/08/2016 at 10:22 PM, lauraloralara said:

I wondered about this too. Honestly, I think it could go both ways. It's hard for me to picture Teri rearranging dinner because Sarah was finishing a chapter of the newest Boredom with the Moodys installation in a fit of furious inspiration, BUT I feel like they would have just said "we rearrange dinner if Dad is going to be late" since it fits in nicely with their worship of Steve. Maybe they've postponed dinner for ten minutes at one point because one of the married sons and co. were coming to dinner and were unexpectedly delayed, thus requiring a whole change in the way they talk about scheduling... how would one even accommodate for such a departure from the schedule without the guidance of the Maxwells!!!

Boredom with the moodys lol can this be a new maxhell heading?

20 hours ago, delilahdog11 said:

Wow. I went through and read some of the mom's corner & SERIOUSLY articles. I would not suggest it unless you like victim blaming/shaming, vitriolic condemnation, and want to hear the opinions of judgemental assholes. Teri even turns on a long time friend who mentored her through the darkest days of her depression. 

She did? Wow. That's really low. Did she say why?

The woman who mentored her didn't she decide to put her children back into a private Christian school after homeschooling for a year?  I remember reading that. 

I'm sure this makes her kids feel good...

"Depression wasn’t a part of my life until after I began having children. Then it was something I faced on a regular basis over the course of several years. Amazingly, the Lord called our family to homeschool while I was still in the middle of dealing with my depression."

why would you let your children know "hey I was fine until you came along..." That would make me feel like utter crap, but they aren't allowed feelings!

This makes me so angry, my brothers and I all had normal childhoods with playing outside, video games, friends, etc...we all have college degrees and are successful, one is even in law school, sorry Terri you are WAY off base. What kills a child's spirit is having parents like you and Steve...

"To be honest with you, I wonder if the children who will grow up to be lawyers and astronauts aren’t quite possibly the ones who are learning to work at home rather than the ones who are addicted to TV, movies, and Xboxes. Sadly, the children who grow up without being encouraged to work will likely choose to avoid work in their adult lives. They will perpetuate their childhood into their adult years and wonder why they struggle so much. Remember from the March 2011 Holly Homemaker Mom’s Corner where the professional couldn’t find young employees because none of those who applied for the jobs knew how to work? It is the children who are left to sit in front of the TV with their XBoxes whose spirits are being killed."

I don't have the energy to go look it up, but I'm fairly certain I've read articles that suggest video gaming is a helpful skill for astronauts and pilots in particular, since there's so much controlling of things remotely. If you have the experience of controlling a character or ship on screen, it's not a huge jump to learn how to control the remote arm of the space station or to be able to dock a spaceship...

There seems to be no areas of gray, for these people. If Steve likes it, it's good. If he doesn't, it's terrible for everyone on the planet, regardless of circumstance.

I grew up addicted to the original Nintendo and tv. Guess what? I went to law school, am still addicted to tv and intend to pre-order the retro Nintendo with all the original games coming out in November (I am way too excited about this). Oh, I am also female and my mom let me read all the books I wanted and didn't censor them. Also, I was somewhat spoiled and didn't do much work around the house growing up. I guess I don't fit Teri's stereotype. 

9 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I grew up addicted to the original Nintendo and tv. Guess what? I went to law school, am still addicted to tv and intend to pre-order the retro Nintendo with all the original games coming out in November (I am way too excited about this). Oh, I am also female and my mom let me read all the books I wanted and didn't censor them. Also, I was somewhat spoiled and didn't do much work around the house growing up. I guess I don't fit Teri's stereotype. 

But do you know where you'll go when you die? 

To be honest with you, I wonder if the children who will grow up to be lawyers and astronauts aren’t quite possibly the ones who are learning to work at home rather than the ones who are addicted to TV, movies, and Xboxes.

Does Steve think that any of his children are capable of becoming lawyers or astronauts? :pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol: Not the way they've been raised. With a subpar education and perhaps more importantly, the mental and emotional dependency and brain washing, they would probably barely be capable of working any sort of job that required accounting to a boss that wasn't your daddy or headship. It would be hard to even work at a fast food place if you're terrified of The World and women in pants and Satan being out to get you and the lyrics of beginner music in piano songbooks.

On Thursday, August 04, 2016 at 4:24 PM, danvillebelle said:

The Maxwells would flip their shit at my house.

2 parents, 2 young adults, 1 teen.  We all eat whatever the hell we want, whenever the hell we want and cook it our own damn selves.  We have not had a dining table for 2 years because we gave it to the oldest when he moved out.  Sometime we'll get around to getting a little bistro set with 2 chairs and a table, but it hasn't happened yet.  Oh well.  

I eat in front of the Beast all the time.

36 minutes ago, Green Glass said:

Does Steve think that any of his children are capable of becoming lawyers or astronauts? :pb_lol::pb_lol::pb_lol: Not the way they've been raised. With a subpar education and perhaps more importantly, the mental and emotional dependency and brain washing, they would probably barely be capable of working any sort of job that required accounting to a boss that wasn't your daddy or headship. It would be hard to even work at a fast food place if you're terrified of The World and women in pants and Satan being out to get you and the lyrics of beginner music in piano songbooks.

(IMO) They've been taught to obey their authorities; therefore, the piety and judgement of any authority must be 100% reliable.  How would they confirm this with someone they/Steve don't already know very well?  Imagine the anxiety if one of them received direction to do something (s)he wasn't sure was appropriate.  Do they obey and potentially sin, or sin by not obeying without question?  I don't think they have the option to "learn" to trust anyone.

New post up. Ellie is doing well.  Sarah even thanked her readers for the comments.  No mention of Jesus.  Ellie is the only Maxwell I like.

20 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

New post up. Ellie is doing well.  Sarah even thanked her readers for the comments.  No mention of Jesus.  Ellie is the only Maxwell I like.

That photo of her with Ellie screams "build me a Match.com profile!".  Poor Sarah.  Heck, even Christopher's ex (Sara Smith) ended up meeting her husband online.  She would have hated Maxhell, for sure.

2 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Just wait till she starts barking hymns :)

It's Steve Maxwell's birthday today. Which means he's got the same birthday as my mum. Who I'm sure would tell him to fuck right off once she found out about all his asshattery.

Also check out the rivers of warmth coming from Sarah. "Kept the lines of communication open" sounds like one of those things you write in a CV when you know it's full of shit and you're just trying to pad.

Each on his own for breakfast is new and possibly a concession to adulthood.  I seem to remember family breakfast after individual and Dad's Bible time being a big thing in the past.  Cinnamon rolls, anyone?

Sarah says in the comments on the scheduling post that she has been too busy to work on her new book.  It should be coming along soon.  I'm not sure whether I should be glad or sorry.

The text for Steve's birthday post is interesting. “No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord.”
Isaiah 54:17

My tongue fingers feel thoroughly condemned for judging Steve.

14 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Each on his own for breakfast is new and possibly a concession to adulthood.  I seem to remember family breakfast after individual and Dad's Bible time being a big thing in the past.  Cinnamon rolls, anyone?

Sarah says in the comments on the scheduling post that she has been too busy to work on her new book.  It should be coming along soon.  I'm not sure whether I should be glad or sorry.

The text for Steve's birthday post is interesting. “No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord.”
Isaiah 54:17

My tongue fingers feel thoroughly condemned for judging Steve.

Yes, please to cinnamon rolls.  I was just hungry, now I'm hungry and sad for my lack of cinnamon rolls.

And I think your fingers are in good company. I, for one, have a particular finger for Steve and I'm certain he would condem that too.

On August 5, 2016 at 8:35 PM, kpmom said:

I had to go to the wayback machine to find the article that used to be on their site regarding learning instruments.

http://web.archive.org/web/20061205193230/http://www.familiesforjesus.com/music

I don't see where Steve mentions specifically Row Row Your Boat, but he does mention whiting out lyrics in secular beginners material.  Since Row Row, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, etc. would be the types of tunes a beginner would learn to play, I imagine he did white Row Row lyrics out.

To be fair Row Row Row Your Boat does have people rowing merrily.  That sounds dangerously close to fun.  

And Twinkle Twinkle Little Star encourages wondering about something.  Intellectual curiosity about astronomy could lead to critical thinking.  

I had no idea those two songs were so subversive until now.  Good catch, Steve.

17 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

And I think your fingers are in good company. I, for one, have a particular finger for Steve and I'm certain he would condem that too.

Add mine, there's nothing numb with my hands (or mouth, for that matter!)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived