IGNORED

Maxhell- Summer with the Maxwells Pt 3

samurai_sarah

Possibly, maybe, the only thing I can guess at the moment is that they had to climb back UP the second peak and head back the way they came. 

The went up mountain one and then over to mountain by way and then returned on the same trail.  If that isn't what they did, then I have zero clue what Sarah was trying to say.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah unless it's meaning "we went down a long way and then had to go back up again" I'm stumped. I'd think gaining elevation would be the hard part, especially in Colorado - the higher the altitude the more difficult it is to catch your breath.

They basically summited Belford twice, from two different directions. TheIr chosen route to Oxford was from Belford.  They had to walk down from Belford and then up to Oxford and vice versa before retracing their steps back down Belford  

That is not uncommon on the 14ers, to bag two at a time by hiking across a crotch between them. (Really. That's the word, though it does conjure up thoughts...)  

While hiking at that altitude is hard on the lungs (and I live at 6000 feet, so I can't imagine coming from where they do), it's agony on the knees going down.  I'll give them their due...they are fit little Maxwells!!!!! 

This is the weirdest bit of that post: 

We climbed our way steadily up, one foot in front of the other.

So THAT'S how you climb a mountain?? I had absolutely NO clue!! 

And, I know it's been mentioned before, but in the post header photo for "Hiking Above the Treeline", Anna looks SO like Teri. It's Teri's smile, screwing up the eyes like that.

Is 2:50 am Mountain or Central time?  I think Sarah once said when they go to CO they stay on Central time.

7 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Ay yi yi … I was just starting to lose the heat/induced blues when I visited the blog and ennui rushed over me again like a waterfall.

"We hiked, we snacked, we added layers of clothing, we took photos."

Repeat.

And again. I will give them this: they will never need to declutter their home--they enjoy experience over obtaining or even creating items.  

That said, I'm puzzled by the following:

"Then, we headed back. We knew this next part would be hard, as we’d lost a lost of elevation coming down from Belford."

What that mean, "we'd lost a lot of elevation coming down."  ????

And why would it increase the difficulty?

I'm guessing it's a real mountaineering phenomenon and not just Teri's SOTDRT coming home to roost … but I can't parse it. TIA?!

You might think they'd just conquered Mt Everest and its pagan Sherpa porters and guides.

4 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

And, I know it's been mentioned before, but in the post header photo for "Hiking Above the Treeline", Anna looks SO like Teri. It's Teri's smile, screwing up the eyes like that.

Anna has Teri's gummy smile, too.

4 hours ago, HoneyBunny said:

They basically summited Belford twice, from two different directions. TheIr chosen route to Oxford was from Belford.  They had to walk down from Belford and then up to Oxford and vice versa before retracing their steps back down Belford  

That is not uncommon on the 14ers, to bag two at a time by hiking across a crotch between them. (Really. That's the word, though it does conjure up thoughts...)  

While hiking at that altitude is hard on the lungs (and I live at 6000 feet, so I can't imagine coming from where they do), it's agony on the knees going down.  I'll give them their due...they are fit little Maxwells!!!!! 

Yeah that's about what I guessed.  She sure explained it poorly!

I hope the mountain was wearing pants.  Or are mountains female?

I may need to purchase Moody ebooks to properly grasp the canon.  Or I could read the paperbacks my family owns but I don't want to be seen.

Nah, I'll be better off spending the time on my original fiction project.

We were saying Joseph might have broken free as he was seldom mentioned on the blog aaaaaaand here we go, pictures of that huge headband under which they hide Callia.

Hi Steve!

(Guess that's what they were all doing as soon as they got mobile signal again... checking FJ!)

Is 2:50 am Mountain or Central time?  I think Sarah once said when they go to CO they stay on Central time.

That sounds familiar, I think I remember someone saying they stay on KS time to keep the schedule sacred.

Hey, come on, that's probably the most poetic sentence written on this blog.

Dontcha know Joseph and his meek helpmeet have their own life and don't always have time for what some might call "a fun vacation". Something to think about.

On 8/28/2016 at 1:33 PM, Dark Matters said:

Today's post had some gorgeous pictures of the mountains.  But I gotta ask: who gets up at 2:00 am to hike in the dark? 

Anyone with a desire to cover 10 miles and 6000' elevation gain all above 10K really has no choice. Hike up in the dark or hike down in the pretty-much-guaranteed afternoon electrical storm. I'm impressed, actually. That hike required better cardio stamina than I have, and I'm way better than most people my age.

And since Sarah mentioned they were up in the mountains for eleven hours, did they "hold it" the whole time until they got back?  Or were there "facilities" around there for them to use?

No facilities, so I assume they take turns squatting off the trail. That's one advantage that the skirts have over pants, especially if they go commando.

On August 3, 2016 at 11:40 PM, FloraDoraDolly said:

The entire Maxwell household is now made up of ADULTS. In every other household I know of where the adult kids live with the parents or vice versa, they do not eat every freakin' meal together! Nor do they keep to a strict schedule. (The exception might be families with a disabled adult who requires assistance with eating or meal preparation.) For breakfast and lunch in particular, even kids are usually on their own. From the time I was 5 years old, I pretty much ate whenever I wanted during summer vacation. Once I learned how to pour my own cereal and fix a peanut butter sandwich, I was good to go. My mom has always been big on family dinners, but if my sister or I weren't going to be home on a particular day, we'd just tell her ahead of time so she wouldn't waste a pork chop or whatever. Then when we came home from school or work, we'd fix our own dinner, or stop at McDonald's along the way.

I think Teri exacerbates her depression and anxiety by insisting on such strict routines instead of letting go and allowing her adult children to do their own thing. If the Maxwell kids really are earning their own incomes (as Steve says they do), then they should have enough money to stop on the way home and pick up some food. Their mother shouldn't be sitting at home stewing over when John or Jesse is going to eat lunch.

Sorry for the late reply. Maybe this is a way for her to stave off very real feelings of being useless now that the kids are adults and her childbearing years are over. Life has nothing more for her.

Soylent Green, anyone?

Also, with the jobs... they seem to all work in the same company/family business, bar maybe John/Nathan. Not entirely sure what they do to earn a living. They mainly seem to be self-employed or work-at-home men. It's not like they go off to a company office (THE HORROR! THE HEATHENS! THE WIMMINS!) from 9 till 5 or whenever.

13 hours ago, Foudeb said:

We were saying Joseph might have broken free as he was seldom mentioned on the blog aaaaaaand here we go, pictures of that huge headband under which they hide Callia.

Hi Steve!

(Guess that's what they were all doing as soon as they got mobile signal again... checking FJ!)

Told ya!

18 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Or are mountains female?

Iif I'm correct, the Tetons are ladies, according to their French name, "Breasts".

7 hours ago, Fun-Dee said:

Still no pictures of Elissa.  I'm guessing that she's very pregnant. 

Don't they usually announce pregnancies before the month the baby's due?  I thought it was the courtships/weddings that were "kept private" until after the big day.

4 hours ago, Granwych said:

Iif I'm correct, the Tetons are ladies, according to their French name, "Breasts".

Technically, nipples.

Every time they go hiking, I get itchy and scratchy.  What is the purpose of the skirts?  To look feminine?  Honestly, they really don't look feminine.  I'm not just saying that because I don't like them.  They look ridiculous.  They look like lumberjacks with skirts on.  Also, what is with the little ones who wear leggings and a little piece of material around the waist?  Either put a skirt on the kid or leave the kid in leggings.  What purpose does that little piece of material serve?  If they think that it pleases God because they stuck an elastic band of material a couple of inches wide over leggings, they are out of their minds.  Laura Munck was right when she said they were legalistic. 

36 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

Every time they go hiking, I get itchy and scratchy.  What is the purpose of the skirts?  To look feminine?  Honestly, they really don't look feminine.  I'm not just saying that because I don't like them.  They look ridiculous.  They look like lumberjacks with skirts on.  Also, what is with the little ones who wear leggings and a little piece of material around the waist?  Either put a skirt on the kid or leave the kid in leggings.  What purpose does that little piece of material serve?  If they think that it pleases God because they stuck an elastic band of material a couple of inches wide over leggings, they are out of their minds.  Laura Munck was right when she said they were legalistic. 

Is that right? Did Laura Munck actually speak up about them ??!! …YAYY!!!…

1 minute ago, MamaJunebug said:

Is that right? Did Laura Munck actually speak up about them ??!! …YAYY!!!…

Yes, she had posted right after Steve said something on the blog.  It must have gotten Laura pissed and she retaliated.  She removed the post shortly after she posted it though.  Maybe someone else remembers the whole thing better. 

6 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

Maybe someone else remembers the whole thing better. 

My memory (and it's not always reliable) is that Elizabeth posted on their blog after the engagement was called off.  It was a thoughtful, explanatory, and non-bashing either Joseph or the Maxwells post that has since been taken down.  Steve then said something bitchy on Titus2 and Laura did retaliate and call him legalistic.  She took that down too. 

Steve has reputedly (according to an FJer who attended a conference) bashed the Muncks publicly (but obliquely and without outright naming the family) for misrepresenting the Godliness and worthiness of their daughter.  Apparently Dad didn't rate the state of her heart accurately.  Or something.

Poor Joseph's feelings aside, Elizabeth calling off the wedding must really have stung Steve's ego.

On 8/27/2016 at 6:50 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Also, I give Sarah points for being one of the few people to use the spelling "sneak peak" in its correct context.

I'll just leave this here: sneak_peek.png

On 8/29/2016 at 6:14 PM, mango_fandango said:

Having done a bit of high-altitude climbing, I get what's she's saying. You take a step. Stop. Breathe. Take another step. Stop. Breathe. repeat until you reach the summit.

An experienced reader/writer would have better conveyed the exertion involved. Oh, heck, all Sarah would have to do is read a few mountaineering memoirs, and she'd have an idea how to write about this experience. Steve, please pick up a copy of Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air for Sarah.

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

My memory (and it's not always reliable) is that Elizabeth posted on their blog after the engagement was called off.  It was a thoughtful, explanatory, and non-bashing either Joseph or the Maxwells post that has since been taken down.  Steve then said something bitchy on Titus2 and Laura did retaliate and call him legalistic.  She took that down too. 

Steve has reputedly (according to an FJer who attended a conference) bashed the Muncks publicly (but obliquely and without outright naming the family) for misrepresenting the Godliness and worthiness of their daughter.  Apparently Dad didn't rate the state of her heart accurately.  Or something.

Poor Joseph's feelings aside, Elizabeth calling off the wedding must really have stung Steve's ego.

Yes, you're right.  It all came back to me now. 

9 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Yes, she had posted right after Steve said something on the blog.  It must have gotten Laura pissed and she retaliated.  She removed the post shortly after she posted it though.  Maybe someone else remembers the whole thing better. 

I Anytg on the Waybacj Machine?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived