• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
hoipolloi

Don't Call Him Steve Anderson

98 posts in this topic

For those who have asked about using using PP vs. Steve Anderson, Zsu has now provided guidance:

I often get asked, "What do you call your husband at home?"

Obviously, I call him by his first name, Steve. But at church, or when talking to church members and others who only know him as a pastor, I always refer to him as "Pastor Anderson." Even when directly addressing him, I avoid calling him by his first name when others can hear. We have been in the ministry long enough to know that people who are too chummy with the pastor quickly become disrespectful and treat him as a buddy, not an elder as the Bible admonishes. This attitude then spreads like a wildfire.

So go ahead & use Steve Anderson -- it will annoy the piss out of him.

After reading this, couldn't help thinking of that godawful 1970s guy, "You can call me Ray:"

I think I'm going to go with Steviebooboo.

Hi Steviebooboo! :562479a7d0aec_Thingsaregrandinthemiddlefinger:

:pb_rollseyes: I live in the south, so I see a lot of this.  It annoys me.  I am past my  mid 30s and I still prefer to be called by my first name- by everyone.  Calling me my last name instead of my first doesn't equal respect to me.  

He expects everyone to call him Pastor Anderson. I saw a clip of an interview he did & he was pissed when the guy he was being interviewed by got pissed that he didn't call him Pastor. 

10 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

people who are too chummy with the pastor quickly become disrespectful and treat him as a buddy, not an elder as the Bible admonishes.

Um.

This isn't something I've ever seen in my churches. Ever. He's hanging on to his string of authority with all the fear he's got in him.

A lot of those people are probably his elders.  He is only 35.  

I'd rather have a buddy than have "respect" that hinged on being called "pastor".

Here's a hint Steve- if their respect for you is that flimsy, they don't really respect you.  You are creating an illusion to feed your own ego.

Proverbs 16:18

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

This is something I've always wondered about. Why are certain people addressed with a title such as Doctor or Reverand (Pastor) etc. Who  decided what professions got a title that is to be used by the general public. If theyre not my doctor or my pastor, why do I have to address them as such? 

If you have require people to address you with a title to get respect, you really aren't deserving of any real respect.  Real respect just comes, it doesn't have to be ordered or manufactured.

Does ZZ look around furtively for congregants before she addresses her husband as "Steve" when they are out in public? "Look, there are the Smiths! Ummm. . . ..Pastor Anderson, could you please pass me the butter?"

Actually, I always wondered if she addressed him as "Lord" or "sir" since he has said in his sermons that he thinks this is not a bad idea.

I've never understood getting your kids to address you as sir or ma'am. That's way way too formal for me. I get its a cultural thing, and likely even more so in religious/fundie families, but it just seems like it'd put a barrier between the parent and the child. I do kind of get the whole "be a parent not a buddy" thing, in a way. I get not wanting your kid to just go "yeah, uh huh, whatever" but what's wrong with a simple "yes, mommy" with eye contact?? Addressing another adult as "Mrs Smith" or "Mr Jones", yeah. But your own parents as sir and ma'am, fuck no. We weren't even that formal at school. I think my brother has to address his male teachers as sir, but his is a fairly posh school, and sir to a teacher isn't so bad. 

And it just sounds utterly ridiculous, particularly out of a little toddler's mouth.

My first thought was, "How about Shirley?"

ETA:. @mango_fandango, I remember briefly flipping through Donny Osmond's autobiography at a bookstore once, and it said that he and his siblings were required to address their parents as Mother and Father, not Mom/Dad or Mommy/Daddy.  Apparently, that's disrespectful(he quoted his father as saying "you wouldn't say 'Our Dad, who art in heaven'"), and I seem to recall that Donny has the same rule for his own kids.

Edited by smittykins

Should just be "Asshole." He might consider himself a pastor but someone that spews that much hatred is just a vile asshole.

4 hours ago, Koala said:

A lot of those people are probably his elders.  He is only 35.  

I'd rather have a buddy than have "respect" that hinged on being called "pastor".

Here's a hint Steve- if their respect for you is that flimsy, they don't really respect you.  You are creating an illusion to feed your own ego.

Proverbs 16:18

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

It shows that hate really ages someone, as I thought Zsu's husband Steve was older than 35.

1 hour ago, Rear Window said:

Should just be "Asshole." He might consider himself a pastor but someone that spews that much hatred is just a vile asshole.

I agree with the sentiment, but you know, unlike Steve, assholes are actually useful. As you said, though, he does spew crap...hmm, never mind. :kitty-wink:

I think that's interesting. My priest's name is "William." He goes by Bill. Many people just call him Bill, without the "Father" title. We all have a lot of respect for him. That could be because he's a genuinely nice guy, an all around cool dude, and a real helpful man who's earned respect in his 20+ years here, and doesn't just demand it arbitrarily. 

Minor differences, I guess :pb_lol:

The only people I know who demand others address them by titles are assholes.  There are a few professional exceptions -- doctors at hospitals, big hierarchical systems where ranks need immediate determination (eg, military, etc), academics in professional pissing contests, etc.  But the pastors I know understand that they don't lose their calling if a parishioner calls them by their first name.  Everything in California tends to be less formal, so there's that, and regional variations certainly exist, but Stevie the Proper Pisser  is just a gaping asshole to demand that title of random people.    :2wankers:

The other major difference between Stevie the Pisser and the pastors I know is the quality of education.  The ones I know well first had to earn a Bachelors degree from an accredited university, then study and do internships for at least another four years.  They had to learn to read Greek; they had to learn history and context; they had to learn about respecting other cultures and traditions.  Memorizing random passages from the Bible did nothing to help them earn their degrees (M. Divs or others); they had to know significantly more. 

So basically, as @princessmahina stated, minor differences.   :pb_lol:

My first thought was Stevie Fuckwaderson.

My first thought was Stevie Fuckwaderson.

That works if you want to go with the title he's earned!

5 hours ago, smittykins said:

My first thought was, "How about Shirley?"

ETA:. @mango_fandango, I remember briefly flipping through Donny Osmond's autobiography at a bookstore once, and it said that he and his siblings were required to address their parents as Mother and Father, not Mom/Dad or Mommy/Daddy.  Apparently, that's disrespectful(he quoted his father as saying "you wouldn't say 'Our Dad, who art in heaven'"), and I seem to recall that Donny has the same rule for his own kids.

We. myself and my four siblings have always referred to our Mother as "Mother" we have never called her Mom, or Mama.  She is our Mother, and with respect we call her that, with love, very much love!  I don't know my bio father he left when I was four, my Mother always called my Grandpa "Daddy" until the day he died.  I am 52 years old and still call my Mother "Mother".

Calling him Steve would be insulting all the other Steves out there who aren't raving nutjobs.

"Pisser" suits him to a tee though!

Sitting here mulling over the great and power Stevie A (he can't be Stevie B, he's not cool enough)....the spot from the Matrix popped in my head where Mr. Smith levels his eyes at Neo and says, "Mis-ter An-der-seeen" all creepy like.  

Edited by Imrlgoddess

If you are so little respected that your wife publicly calling you by your first name would incite insurrection, maybe the issue is that you are a piss-poor leader.  

Oh, I didn't know that Pastor Anderson's authority is so fragile. I'm sorry, Lil Stevie. 

But I think Zsu worries for naught. Stevie is in no danger of developing chums because he is an ass. 

22 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

It shows that hate really ages someone, as I thought Zsu's husband Steve was older than 35.

Oh please can we refer to him as Zsu's husband from now on! Don't even give him the fundy Man status 'me man, me first coz penis' 

Can you imagine the head explosion? 

2 hours ago, Gemini said:

Oh please can we refer to him as Zsu's husband from now on! Don't even give him the fundy Man status 'me man, me first coz penis' 

Can you imagine the head explosion? 

I think this even better than "Pissing Preacher"! Zsu's husband, Steve. Ha!

I prefer "Wackadoddle Asswhat" he give the prefix of Pastor a bad rap.