IGNORED

Louisville Judge Amber Wolf pissed over female inmate's treatment

47of74

Judge Amber Wolf of Louisville was confronted with a black female inmate not having any pants on in her courtroom. 

wdrb.com/story/32574665/video-metro-corrections-inmate-appears-inappropriately-dressed-before-judge

A female Metro Corrections inmate was brought to Jefferson District Court on Friday morning without a jumpsuit - and appearing to not be wearing pants - prompting a judge to call the jail and ask “what the hell is going on?”

An attorney for the woman told Judge Amber Wolf that the jail “refused to give her pants and any kind of hygiene products that she needed,” according to a video of the hearing from Friday morning.

The woman, who was in jail for not completing a diversion program on a 2014 shoplifting charge, said she had been in Metro Corrections for days without pants, despite repeated requests.

As the woman and her attorney looked on, Wolf took out her cell phone during the hearing and called to talk with Metro Corrections Director Mark Bolton, telling someone she wanted to ask him “why there is a female defendant standing in front of me with no pants on.”

Here's the video of the situation;

Judge Wolf, you rock!

I watched this late a few nights ago.  To be denied feminine hygiene products.  I just cannot imagine.

I am hoping the ramifications are significant for that jail.

Good for that judge! Terrible to think this sort of thing would even happen in the first place, but at least someone in a position to change things was willing to speak up on the inmate's behalf. 

Sadly, poor treatment in local jails, such as municipal and county facilities are often severely lacking.  At least in my area, it is the state penitentiaries that get more funding.  I don't know if it's due to the type of prisoners.  Meaning lower level offenses and temporary housing of inmates going to state facilities versus long term housing of potentially violent inmates.  Or it might be where the funding is coming from (state vs county).  It does make feel better that there are people in positions of authority that are at least shedding a light on this issue.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2016 at 1:42 PM, Roux said:

Sadly, poor treatment in local jails, such as municipal and county facilities are often severely lacking.  At least in my area, it is the state penitentiaries that get more funding.  I don't know if it's due to the type of prisoners.  Meaning lower level offenses and temporary housing of inmates going to state facilities versus long term housing of potentially violent inmates.  Or it might be where the funding is coming from (state vs county).  It does make feel better that there are people in positions of authority that are at least shedding a light on this issue.

That's true, in fact the local ex-county sheriff pled guilty to criminal charges for the way things have been run at the county jails, especially the large one near the downtown area. Others in that same department have been convicted. The point is, unfortunately stuff like what that judge saw happens all over in county jails.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/vincent-n-schiraldi/the-real-lesson-of-the-la_b_9287004.html

Archived