IGNORED

The Allens - Nauglers with British accents

ester

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brighton is known for it's alternative lifestylers. ( I lived in the area )They are fairly radical but wouldn't stand out much from many other families that live there, plenty of parents bring up their children in a way that is not the accepted norm.  Most are not so extreme as in home schooling would be fairly prevalent in certain local groups along with alternative medicine but these idiots really are taking it to another level of dangerous lunacy. My daughter is a paediatric nurse, mother of two herself, and she has to deal with very sick children ,some of whom are only so because of their failure to be vaccinated .This can put children who can't be vaccinated because of other factors at risk. I know it is a personal choice to vaccinated before I get jumped on! But let it be a well informed ,well researched choice and  not an attempt to live some sort of idealised fantasy life eschewing all modern medicines and thinking that because it's 'natural' it's always better. Along with unassisted births and self diagnosing I feel it's a certainty that this is the way to some disaster in the future. I have four grown children, I was considered rather non -conforming in my approach to parenting in my time ( the 80's) by home educating , being vegetarian and generally not doing a lot of things the way most people did but I am not a doctor so always sought out advice and my children were vaccinated after I weighed up the pros and cons. Lastly, would these parents really let their children take their chances of they presented with worrying symptoms? Or would they forsake their strongly held views and rush to their nearest hospital and let someone like my daughter and her colleagues treat them with anything to make them better? If not they are not the loving parents they purport to be. 

I can pretty safely say that you will not be jumped upon here at FJ for supporting vaccines. We tend to be pro science here.:)

The health visitor will be responsible for keeping an eye on the children until they are 5 years old. Health visitors are generally attached to GP surgeries. They should be easy to contact if you have a worry or concern about your child's health/development.

As in all professions there are good ones and bad ones. If their allotted Health Visitor is any good she ( usually female) will be taking care to do lots of follow up visits now that the Allan's have gone public. 

I don't know what the Allan father does got a living but they don't seem hard up. A one bedroom flat in Brighton will not come cheap.

The children seem clean and decently dressed, except for shoes! I notice that both parents wear shoes so they won't have to worry about standing in dog mess or on broken glass.

Does the father have an Australian accent? I couldn't hear that well on my phone.

Both parents sound reasonably educated. 

This should be worth watching.

Did anyone catch why they want to go to Costa Rica?

i

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Warning - on that link there is a picture of a placenta covered in salt and rose petals.  

Too late, just watched it. Way too much placenta to see just after dinner. ew.

Oh and I can't believe she had her child "sweat out" Scarlet Fever. It's a form of Strep, he should've had antibiotics ffs.

They rent the flat and get housing benefits and some other top up payments, he is a yoga teacher and health educator( heaven forbid!) Self employed  I think ,Adele writes. They talk about basic food etc. 

12 minutes ago, ester said:

I can pretty safely say that you will not be jumped upon here at FJ for supporting vaccines. We tend to be pro science here.:)

And pro-not letting children die and spread disease needlessly.  Most of us. :) 

I believe Costa Rica is preferable for avoiding social services oversight. Re: Health Visitors, I was just reading that apparently, the family can refuse those visits.

1 minute ago, MyMilkshake said:

Too late, just watched it. Way too much placenta to see just after dinner. ew.

Like there is an acceptable amount of placenta to see after dinner?  :pb_lol:

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Like there is an acceptable amount of placenta to see after dinner?  :pb_lol:

:pb_lol:
I prefer a zero placenta atmosphere myself.

After I had my daughter the nurse excitedly asked me if I wanted to see the placenta. I less excitedly said, "Sure". I looked at this thing that looked like a big hunk of liver and said something like, "That's interesting", and then she took it somewhere (probably the garbage because hello!, medical waste! ). I had no interest in taking it home with us. 
But that's just me.

12 minutes ago, ester said:

Is it more placenta than can be seen before dinner?

10 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

The health visitor will be responsible for keeping an eye on the children until they are 5 years old. Health visitors are generally attached to GP surgeries. They should be easy to contact if you have a worry or concern about your child's health/development.

As in all professions there are good ones and bad ones. If their allotted Health Visitor is any good she ( usually female) will be taking care to do lots of follow up visits now that the Allan's have gone public. 

I don't know what the Allan father does got a living but they don't seem hard up. A one bedroom flat in Brighton will not come cheap.

The children seem clean and decently dressed, except for shoes! I notice that both parents wear shoes so they won't have to worry about standing in dog mess or on broken glass.

Does the father have an Australian accent? I couldn't hear that well on my phone.

Both parents sound reasonably educated. 

This should be worth watching.

Did anyone catch why they want to go to Costa Rica?

The quotes are from this article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3704270/I-thought-buying-Adele-800-bracelet-birthday-living-high-life-earning-silly-money-giving-shocking-TV-viewers-feral-kids-free-range-couple-eccentric-harmful.html

Bolded #1

They are stony broke, relying on housing and child benefit to get by while they work towards a ‘self- sustaining’ existence. They’re seeking donations to raise £100,000 so they can move to Costa Rica in pursuit of their ‘self-sustainability’ dream. So far, they’ve raised £47.

Matt takes whatever work he can find as a health coach, but would rather trade services for goods than submit to more conventional employment.

‘I’m proud that my children are wild and feral, I would rather that than have them living in captivity,’ says former nutritionist and children’s yoga teacher Adele, who is now a full-time mother.

More thoughts on work: (the "they" he is referring to is their parents.

Of course they’d like to see us follow a more traditional path, with steady jobs, an income and a foot on the property ladder, but we don’t want to compromise family life, not seeing our children because of the straitjacket of a mortgage.

‘Some parents feel compelled to put their babies in childcare because they have to work. Everyone does the best they can, but how does that impact on parent and child?’

Adele, a Spanish and linguistics university graduate, wore fashionable clothes while Matt, who studied leisure management and sports, looked buff in trendy designer gear. ‘Oh yes, we were pretty conventional,’ says Matt, 33, a former cruise ship fitness instructor, who married Adele in Goa on New Year’s Eve, 2009.

#3 this is from their page on fundmytravel https://www.fundmytravel.com/campaign/ng3EQl5kGR

Our ultimate goal is to become self - sufficient, the way of making that happen is by moving to Costa Rica and buying a big plot of land where we can grow food, and have access to wildlife and nature in it's natural state.

snip

We want to share our knowledge of off-grid parenting and expand on our experience by fully immersing ourselves in a natural environment where we can become more self-sufficient. 

Near as I can tell they think Costa Rica is where they grow self-sufficiency...and there is nature there?  Think that's grown on trees or in the field?  I get my self-sufficiency at the super market so I've never seen it in it's natural state.

19 minutes ago, ester said:

I believe Costa Rica is preferable for avoiding social services oversight. Re: Health Visitors, I was just reading that apparently, the family can refuse those visits.

Families can refuse in England still I think. Scotland no.

Refusing a visit does cause a red flag. If the Health Visitor is any good then the refusal will be noted at the GP surgery. More so after the recent cases of children dying due to abusive parents preventing visits.

8 minutes ago, ester said:

They should just be self sufficient somewhere in Wales. They have nature.

That's crazy talk...there is only nature in Costa Rica!

@Gobsmacked I don't hear Australian in his accent.

28 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Families can refuse in England still I think. Scotland no.

Refusing a visit does cause a red flag. If the Health Visitor is any good then the refusal will be noted at the GP surgery. More so after the recent cases of children dying due to abusive parents preventing visits.

Yep, if they refuse then social services will be banging on the door.

The first step in the process with young kids is to send in the health visitors. Despite what Adele says, no health visitor would 'approve' of the lack of vaccinations. She probably got a 'well that's your choice but...' Speech, with a bit on why you give a sick child medicine, instead of letting the poor thing suffer in unnecessary pain! 

Judging by stuff I have read on fj, Child social services are more willing to move in and take kids in the uk. There is still a shit load of chances given, but crap like 'religious rights' don't wash over here. I expect they will be subjected to a few more surprise visits by health visitors over the next few months.

Homeschooling will be an interesting one to. In England compulsory school age starts the September after the child is 5. (Although most kids start earlier) If they plan to still homeschool they must register with the local authority, who should come out and do an assessment. If the education is subpar they can issue a school attendance order, which means you don't have a choice. https://www.gov.uk/school-attendance-absence/legal-action-to-enforce-school-attendance

As for the fund my trip.......

There is a very strong distaste towards what is known as the Benefit Culture. There has been some  horrific cuts to disability payments recently and sick people have been forced back into work against their doctors advice.

Two healthy people in a relationship living on benefit is not going to win them any support. Especially as the Dad seems to have admitted that he just doesn't want to work for the man! I'm sure that will go down well to when someone called the benefit hotline and reports them.

These people aren't going anywhere until they get off their ass and work for it. 

11 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

That's crazy talk...there is only nature in Costa Rica!

@Gobsmacked I don't hear Australian in his accent.

No I don't now I have listened on my IPad!!! Thankyou for the links.

I'm thinking that Costa Rica has been chosen as it's a lot warmer  therefore more comfortable there than living off grid etc etc in a Yurt in cold rainy Wales or the scottish Highlands. Lots of crunchy folk up there.

Sorry about the quote problem. I appear to be having technical probs!

50 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I get my self-sufficiency at the super market so I've never seen it in it's natural state.

This sentence is causing my brain to spin in circles.  :my_tongue:

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

While there are some parents who may agree with Adele’s decision not to vaccinate her children, her freeform thinking in regards to meningitis is raising some eyebrows. The mom of two believes that meningitis can be cured by fasting and maintains that “most illnesses are caused by emotional problems” and that she wants to “get to the root of them rather than fill the body with medicines that will only serve to make the problem worse.”

Oh come on , we all know meningitis can only be cured with  water and maple syrup, juice with frozen berries and a mixture of apple cider vinegar, horse radish root, hot peppers, mashed onion, garlic and ginger root.  Just ask little Ezekiel Stephan who truly got better and is now piloting his own angel winged plane .

You must be vaccinated to enter Costa Rica. Maybe there are exemptions; I didn't look when we went because we are all vaccinated. The Allens' bigger problem is that most visas are for a maximum of 90 days. To stay longer, you have to show assets, income, etc.  You don't just move there and live in the jungle and no one pays attention to you. For a third-world country, CR has almost first-world educational and medical systems, and they really don't need British freeloaders down there. Talk about first-world privilege. Or arrogance. Ugh.

They didn't even apologise on This Morning for their child pissing on the carpet, yes accidents happen but they should have been polite to the staff who then have to clean up the mess. They seem attention seeking to me posting the picture of their five year old breastfeeding is gonna embarrass him in the future. 

8 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

They didn't even apologise on This Morning for their child pissing on the carpet, yes accidents happen but they should have been polite to the staff who then have to clean up the mess. They seem attention seeking to me posting the picture of their five year old breastfeeding is gonna embarrass him in the future. 

It bothers me how conscious he is of the camera while doing it, and how posed it is.  And he just happens to want to nurse when she happens to be giving interviews. 

I'll admit I'm really uncomfortable with the age thing, but I don't know enough about it to have a opinion based on science so could be my personal bias.  But I do think it's creepy and wrong to have him nurse on film for shock value and that's what this feels like to me.

It feels exploitative which is the opposite of the natural life they preach about.  Pretty sure there no creatures in the animal kingdom that train their kids to nurse on command for the camera.

I'm stuck way back on sweating out scarlet fever.  this is not little women or between the books little house in the prarie.  both cases which left the victims sick with rheumatic fever and blind as a result. 

And to think I really came in here to say, dang it I keep reading the title of this thread as aliens not Allen.

Archived