IGNORED

The Allens - Nauglers with British accents

ester

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ester said:

Hope this isn't too OT.... If you are interested in Nauglers, you may also enjoy the Allens: http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/07/26/these_off_grid_allen_family_wants_you_to_give_them_100_000.html

I'm going to move this to it's own thread because there's not room in here for more people who think other people should pay them to simultaneously rear and endanger their children.

I'm so touched by this, my first thread! Anyways, these people, they are so cute. I look forward to seeing how they look after their first six months (weeks?) in the allied nation of Costa del Poop.

/

3 minutes ago, ester said:

I'm so touched by this, my first thread! Anyways, these people, they are so cute. I look forward to seeing how they look after their first six months (weeks?) in the allied nation of Costa del Poop.

I read about them on the Daily Mail site too! They weren't very well received by the public when the little girl peed all over the floor(carpet) when they were interviewed on tv!  And the family photo with Mum breastfeeding the 5 year old, one day that child should sue her! Imagine having the nerve to beg funding to live off-grid in Costa Rica!

Lol, I can't see the government of Costa Rica welcoming these folks. At one point I wanted to move down there and open a eco hotel and wildlife center. (I was young, dont judge)

Turns out they actually expect immigrants to have a steady income from elsewhere before they will let you come. 

But far more troubling than this narcissism and delusion is their decision to not vaccinate their children, which kills, and the way they’ve turned the very lovely experience of parenthood into a performance about parenting. Not only do such rigid parenting philosophies make raising children seem far more fraught than it really is; they also distract parents from the alleged beneficiaries of these philosophies: their kids.

the article was so awesomely snarky I wish the author was an FJer...but this is my favorite part by far.  To the bolded - this is what they do?  the Naugs, the Duggars, the Batesseses, and others...that is the most beautifully worded way to convey this phenomenon.  

No vax, no medicine?  Besides the risk of actual death from the no vax position...anyone ever taken care of a little one with an ear infection?  It hurt my heart when they'd cry in pain and that was just waiting for the children's Tylenol and antibiotics to kick in.

That's just one ailment.  

From a PBS documentary here...http://www.pbs.org/fmc/timeline/dmortality.htm

The infant mortality rate started a long slide from 165 per 1,000 in 1900 to 7 per 1,000 in 1997. 

and 

For white women, life expectancy at birth rose from 51 years in 1900 to 80 years in 1996. For white men, life expectancy at birth rose from 48 years in 1900 to 74 years in 1996.

Maybe that has something to do with vaccines and antibiotics?  Just a hunch.

It's just a snippet about the show but as the Allens are white it speaks to their demographic.  

If people with more money than brains give these negligent grifters 100k then I give up.  

34 minutes ago, ester said:

Writing on her blog’s Facebook page, she said: “Well done to Ulysses and poorly Ostara for putting up with the media chaos today,,,,and Ostara did have a nappy on today but shock horror sometimes they leak!! ‪#‎herecomethetrolls‬.”

OMG she's on FB complaining about trolls...they aren't like the Naugs they are dopplegangers just with the starter set of littles.

Naug starts! Is it sick that I kinda hope they network?

Yes, this, @hernameisbuffy! Wreaking havoc and bringing Victorian era disease back to civilization. Y'know, Sally has talked about this on BLB, the idea of wanting to literally take down civilization and progress. The Nogs will bring cholera back to KY, the Allens can bring measles and whooping cough to Costa Rica.

Did anyone read Sally's amazing link to the guy talking about parenting as a brand as opposed to a job? Amazing indictment of the anti-civilization people like Nogs and Allens.

This is not just for show though. I truly believe that these are some broken, narcissistic people who have a ton of anger about their own childhoods. They use their children as objects to express their anger out into the world. Quiverfull indeed.

Oh, I just went there, hilarious! I don't think the UK will be as generous as the US has been to the Nogs. They tend to be way more sarcastic, and enjoy a shitshow even more than we in the US, in my experience. Also, they have way stronger social services, and are quicker to take neglected children into care, if it comes to that, which is probably why they want to leave the country.

@hernameisbuffy, they DO look alike!! Do I hear Dueling Banjos......?

https://www.babble.com/parenting/off-grid-parenting-method-adele-matt-allen/

Some choice quotes:

When her children were born, Adele left the placenta and umbilical cords intact, remaining physically attached to her babies until they naturally fell off after six days. As she reasons, “If babies were meant to have their umbilical cords cut at birth, we’d be born with scissors.”

While there are some parents who may agree with Adele’s decision not to vaccinate her children, her freeform thinking in regards to meningitis is raising some eyebrows. The mom of two believes that meningitis can be cured by fasting and maintains that “most illnesses are caused by emotional problems” and that she wants to “get to the root of them rather than fill the body with medicines that will only serve to make the problem worse.”

When it comes to education, the couple’s off-grid method entails homeschooling their children, teaching them what they believe is important and shying away from the usual curriculum. Instead of engaging with other children in classrooms, their “freestyle” education has their eldest “drawing on the walls of their home, playing hide and seek, and foraging for food.”

and this article...

http://www.treehugger.com/family/go-knock-yourself-out-unconventional-parenting-please-stop-talking-about-it.html

Ulysses was left to sweat out his chicken pox and scarlet fever. 

http://www.kidspot.com.au/parenting/real-life/in-the-news/i-home-school-my-kids-dont-vaccinate-them-and-breastfeed-my-5-year-old

Warning - on that link there is a picture of a placenta covered in salt and rose petals.  

Adele carried around both of her newborn’s placentas in a cool bag until it naturally fell away - ‘seasoning’ it with salt and rose petals to mask the rotting smell. With both babies, this process took six days.

“The only place I went in the first week was the bathroom and kitchen, so there were no issues,”she told Metro.

“I think it’s important for the mum to rest and bond with her baby in those first few days.”

I was able to bond with mine without toting the placenta around in a ziplock bag.  Anyone else?

Adele believes that by using plants and herbs instead of modern medicines, she is able to target the bad bacteria and leave the good bacteria unharmed. For her, eye infections can be cured with a squirt of breast milk, and lemon juice is enough to cure a cold.

And when she stops lactating them what?  Or do the kids nurse until adulthood so she can still squirt someone in the eye when needed?

When it comes to sunscreen, Adele claims, “We don’t use sun cream. Not at all on the kids. We don’t believe it protects you from cancer.”

No words.

“I have got such a fantastic connection and bond with both of them and they know who we are – more than just being Mum and Dada – it’s a much deeper connection than that.”

Yep ..what special snowflakes...because they just know their connection to their kids are soooo much deeper than those of us umbilical cord cutting, self supporting, sunscreen wearing, medicine using, education providing, dead behind the eyes drones have with our kids.  I thought I loved my babies, I really did...I didn't know it was just a pale imitation of the love of a mom who thinks you can cure meningitis by fasting.

6 minutes ago, ester said:

Oh, I just went there, hilarious! I don't think the UK will be as generous as the US has been to the Nogs. They tend to be way more sarcastic, and enjoy a shitshow even more than we in the US, in my experience. Also, they have way stronger social services, and are quicker to take neglected children into care, if it comes to that, which is probably why they want to leave the country.

@hernameisbuffy, they DO look alike!! Do I hear Dueling Banjos......?

I was going to ask how it worked in the UK - so being so open about their neglect is pretty risky for them?

This was my favorite/favourite from TreeHugger:

"It’s gotten to the point where unconventional has become so trendy that it has become conventional. The beliefs shared earnestly by the Allens are not unusual; they’re a bit clichéd and thoroughly established. (If you wanted to be truly unconventional, be a parent who adheres to rules. You’ll really stand out.)"

They took the gloves off for that hit! 

There was a quote from the mom somewhere that said she would take the natural route with cancer too because the more serious the disease, the more nature dontchaknow. 

13 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

/snip

I was able to bond with mine without toting the placenta around in a ziplock bag.  Anyone else?

And when she stops lactating them what?  Or do the kids nurse until adulthood so she can still squirt someone in the eye when needed?

No words.

Yep ..what special snowflakes...because they just know their connection to their kids are soooo much deeper than those of us umbilical cord cutting, self supporting, sunscreen wearing, medicine using, education providing, dead behind the eyes drones have with our kids.  I thought I loved my babies, I really did...I didn't know it was just a pale imitation of the love of a mom who thinks you can cure meningitis by fasting.

Snip/

@HerNameIsBuffy you are killing me overhere! Warn a girl! It's after 5 and wine burns through the nose :lolside:

https://www.facebook.com/UnconventionalParent/

One difference from Nicole is they seem to leave the criticism up.  And per a post they did a phone screening and had a health visit (? someone in the UK want to translate for this ignorant American) and allegedly got the thumbs up for their lifestyle.

Can't do a screen shot atm:  from their post July 25th - 

We are delighted to announce that we have just completed a phone assessment with social services and a personal visit from a health visitor and have received approval for our unconventional, off-grid parenting practices. We would like to thank all those who expressed concern over our children's welfare and also encourage all those who practice alternative lifestyles to be proud and not hide what you do away from the public eye. It is imperative that we educate the conventional thinkers by remaining open about how we live. X

And they are no shoes?  Because when you're this special hot cement, rocks in grass, pricker weeds, etc don't hurt when you step on them?  I'm all about being barefoot at home but all the time?  Ow.

from their About:

"I am not a parenting expert but I am a concerned parent with the experience of raising my child through unconventoipnal methods and as such I understand the difficulties faced by other parents. My mission is: to inform, not preach; to share, not advice and to connect, not alienate." Adele Allen

Yeah.. I'll cosign that she's not a parenting expert.  

I think it could be risky, in my experience, but not yet. They have to do a little worse, sadly.

I have an embarrassing confession: I nursed my oldest kid for so long he had to be bribed to stop. I know it can be tough. But at least we were able to reduce it to am and pm, and not in public, much less on television.

Born with scissors?? We are, stupid lady, they're called teeth. All animals with the appropriate dentition gnaw off the umbilical cord. Especially primates. Herbivores walk around till it falls off. Hmmm, very suspicious of her off grid animal husbandry credentials. I sense another goat scenario.

Just now, ester said:

I think it could be risky, in my experience, but not yet. They have to do a little worse, sadly.

I have an embarrassing confession: I nursed my oldest kid for so long he had to be bribed to stop. I know it can be tough. But at least we were able to reduce it to am and pm, and not in public, much less on television.

Born with scissors?? We are, stupid lady, they're called teeth. All animals with the appropriate dentition gnaw off the umbilical cord. Especially primates. Herbivores walk around till it falls off. Hmmm, very suspicious of her off grid animal husbandry credentials. I sense another goat scenario.

Did you cure his eye infections with a well aimed squirt to the cornea?  Because if not...unless he was 27 and had to be bribed with a contribution to his 401K you are not in her league.  

We're Jewish, we go to doctors. And get vaccinations. And invent vaccinations. :)

Holy cow, UK social services have certainly mellowed out. They do tend to be staffed by moral-relativist hipsters though, so there's that. Wow, I'm snarky today.

I wonder if those same social service folks have read the story of the poor child in Canada who died of meningitis after horrific natural treatment at the hands of his off grid parents.

Also, no sunscreen on those little English babies in Costa Rica. This will not end well.

13 minutes ago, ester said:

We're Jewish, we go to doctors. And get vaccinations. And invent vaccinations. :)

Holy cow, UK social services have certainly mellowed out. They do tend to be staffed by moral-relativist hipsters though, so there's that. Wow, I'm snarky today.

I wonder if those same social service folks have read the story of the poor child in Canada who died of meningitis after horrific natural treatment at the hands of his off grid parents.

Also, no sunscreen on those little English babies in Costa Rica. This will not end well.

According to some of the people on their FB vaccinations are mandatory in Costa Rica by law there - idk personally but if true their research skills are as awesome as their medical knowledge.

When I was in the UK, it was before vaccines caused terrorism or whatever, so I am probably way out of touch, but it makes sense, they have better rules about some public health stuff.

Just now, ester said:

When I was in the UK, it was before vaccines caused terrorism or whatever, so I am probably way out of touch, but it makes sense, they have better rules about some public health stuff.

Sorry, I meant in Costa Rica but didn't type that  - I edited to add that.

Actually, breast milk is an established and recommended treatment for (mild!!!) eye infections here in Norway. Of course, with an "if it don't get better or gets worse, see a doctor!" 

ETA: Because I am a fan of being able to cite some relevant litterature I did some quick googling, and to my surprise, couldn't find anything that was backed by facts (other than treatment recommendations without citations. I will have to google this some more, as it is a common advice given to mothers here. But, as the time is 00:22, it will have to wait :P

So does diving into this new rabbit hole!

Full disclosure: I squirted some breast milk on my newborn's crusty eye and I think it helped. I swear I'm not a whack ado like these people.

And I must say, Ostara and Ullyses are the most hipster names I've heard in a long time. 

I really hope she didn't have any visitors that first week after she had her babies. That well seasoned rotting placenta must've smelled like death. Imagine poor aunt ethyl coming for a visit,

"Why little Ostara is just beautif-..... Oh dear god there's an enormous piece of rotten beef jerky tethered to your baby!"

Just now, mamallama said:

Yeah, breastmilk for minor eye and ear infections is pretty mainstream. 

Thanks - I stand corrected.  I had no idea this was a thing.  I really do learn so much here.

Archived