IGNORED

S'Morton Alan Smith charged with incest, rape, child molestation

JustAnotherMaiden

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On July 27, 2016 at 9:20 AM, Queen Of Hearts said:

I think we need to be careful about making assumptions here. Not all fundies are monsters.  For all we know, it might have been one of the family that reported him.  The only confirmed monster we have here is Alan... and I hope he rots.

After watching those videos I am confident in saying the S'Morton parents are revolting, filthy, monsters. The whole disgusting lot of them. Who wants that for thier kids? Who wants to see thier beloved daughter groveling before her husband on her wedding day washing his feet as he strokes her face? No life skills, no education, no way to support themselves.......on purpose. That's not about getting your kids to heaven. They are sick. ........going off to pray in the woods for two days about his daughter getting married......like he is Moses, off in the wilderness, or mountain, or dessert, wherever he went.....saying "prayed about it" is equal to saying, " yeah, I know you think this is a bad Idea but I'm going to do whatever I want to, cuz I prayed about it so just shut up already, I don't want to hear it."

@Queen Of Hearts  *I'm also not sure where I said all fundies are monsters. Please explain about what assumptions I made that botherd you, I feel like I have been hand slapped, and am not sure why what I said was wrong. I fully admit I don't always come across how I mean to, so if that is the case I would like to see how you read what I wrote, since your comment got lots of likes you are not the only one who thinks I crossed a line.

21 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

@Queen Of Hearts  *I'm also not sure where I said all fundies are monsters. Please explain about what assumptions I made that botherd you, I feel like I have been hand slapped, and am not sure why what I said was wrong. I fully admit I don't always come across how I mean to, so if that is the case I would like to see how you read what I wrote, since your comment got lots of likes you are not the only one who thinks I crossed a line.

Sorry if I came across as handslappy... it was meant as more of a caution  to all of us more than anything else.  As for the 'monster' comment, it was in response to your saying you suspected the family would have tried to deal with it themselves first if they knew.  My point was not all fundies are monsters and if they knew of a child being raped I would hope/assume they would go to the appropriate authorities.  I didn't mean it that YOU said they were monsters... it was meant in more of a 'only a monster would not immediately report a child rapist' sort of way. KWIM?  Sorry for any confusion I may have caused and thank you for asking for clarification.

It's important to clarify that a major problem with some (many?) church branches on the fundy/evangelical tree do NOT believe in reporting sexual abuse to authorities; they believe it should be handled "in house" using "Biblical" guidelines.   In some cases, this has resulted in victims being forced to repent before the congregation and the abuser accepted back because he repented.   Gothardism is a good example of this.  It is a horrible problem in some Protestant religious communities, is not altogether rare and indeed, can be considered an institutional problem. 

If you are interested, google Boz Tchividjian + Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment (GRACE).  He's done exceptional work in holding congregational feet to the fire to report sex abuse to the authorities and also believes that the scandal of covering up sex abuse in the church is actually worse among Protestants than Catholics. 

As people who have been here more than 10 minutes know, speculating about the victims of molestation or sexual abuse is not allowed here.  Warnings with points and visits to the prayer closet will be invoked for this offense.  It is taken very seriously.  Hair splitting will not be tolerated.  Do not even consider going there. 

32 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Sorry if I came across as handslappy... it was meant as more of a caution  to all of us more than anything else.  As for the 'monster' comment, it was in response to your saying you suspected the family would have tried to deal with it themselves first if they knew.  My point was not all fundies are monsters and if they knew of a child being raped I would hope/assume they would go to the appropriate authorities.  I didn't mean it that YOU said they were monsters... it was meant in more of a 'only a monster would not immediately report a child rapist' sort of way. KWIM?  Sorry for any confusion I may have caused and thank you for asking for clarification.

Okay, got it. Thank you for answering, I am glad I said  something because it bugged me way more than it should of. 

I have never paid much attention to these people in the past. Watching that Mr.Safegard video on page 4 (couldn't copy link) is disturbing. The character Dr. Psychology is a negative character who thinks children should sleep out in the cold and not wear coats because kids sleeping inside in warm beds is sheltering them. ( spoiler alert It's supposed to be satire) Watching the videos, and the fact that the families are so intertwined, makes me think that They would never report it themselves unless they could not control it themselves and prevent them being held accountable legally. Maybe a church member or friend of the family reported it, or the victim themself. They seem to see everyone outside thier little world as the enemy and Psycology would open the doors to lead the kids astray. These guys are fundies on steroids.

4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

The cynical side of me speculates that what he did must have been really, really bad, because generally, marginally attractive white men with otherwise clean records tend to get slapped on the wrist or let out on bail pretty fast. Or maybe he's just not good enough at swimming.

Me too. I think either one of those S'Morton women is a super badass who completely threw off her submissive upbringing in the face of seeing a child hurt so badly, and/or there is some irrefutable evidence there that can't be denied.

I just hope the case doesn't lose steam or he gets shuttled off to Paraguay or something.

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

Self styled.

OT - This reminds of the parody show, Burning Love (parody of The Bachelor etc). There is a character named Prince Simon. Also self styled. (sorry to veer, but very funny show!)

My cynical side is out in force with this.  I venture that this isn't Alan's first offense, it's just the first time he's been caught.

If we believe this is the first time he's done this, then we have to believe that a grown man with, as far as we know, no pedophile tendencies, decided 3 years ago to rape, molest and commit incest with a minor.

No, not buying it.

I'd bet cash money he was up to the same as a teenager and it was all hushed up,  Capt'n Bret found the perfect wife in Katie (he hoped) to keep his son away from the young ones.  Katie is naive to the max, compliant, completely submissive with no will of her own, and trained from birth to give in to every one of her husband's demands.  And in fundie world we know that means sex on demand/ command.

And I have this sinking feeling that if Alan did have a prior history of molestation, Pa Morton knew all about it, and that the marriage was arranged between Capt'n Bret and Pa M to keep Alan on the straight and narrow by marrying him to a godly, submissive girl so he could legally have all the sex he wanted.

If my supposition is true, I hope all the prior victims come forward and they put Alan is jail for multiple life sentences -- to run concurrently

@Red Hair, Black Dress, that was my thought too. I don't believe that this is the first child to have been assaulted by him. 

It also occurred to me that since sometimes it's a long time between arrest and jail time there is actually time for he and Katie to conceive another child. I can't even imagine what she's going through.  She's literally never been allowed to have a thought or opinion in her life and now she has to process that her husband,  the only man she's been allowed to think of other than Dearest Father, has hurt a child she knows and loves and is related to by blood or marriage. 

It is unlikely this is his only offense. It's rare that such things would just one day start up in an adult. It is merely the first arrest. Unless he suddenly went daft, no adult man just one day decide to rape a child, and continue for 3 years, out of the blue. 

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Me too. I think either one of those S'Morton women is a super badass who completely threw off her submissive upbringing in the face of seeing a child hurt so badly, and/or there is some irrefutable evidence there that can't be denied.

I just hope the case doesn't lose steam or he gets shuttled off to Paraguay or 

Granted I'm in NC, but there is a case going on now involving a similar situation and the perpetrator was first given a 175k bond, which was posted, however there were new charges filed and bond was set at 1million. They are still in jail and will hopefully take the current offer of 25 to 50 years. The victim(s) won't have to go through the trauma of a trial.  Yes, they will probably get more in a jury trial, but the welfare of the innocent is more important. Hopefully the victim in this case will not have to endure a trial either  

This is just so sad all the way around. Lousy MFs. 

I actually saw this thread when it was first posted and just haven't been able to even articulate a response until now. My two or three cents: 

1. I am devastated for the victim and grateful that law enforcement is involved. 

2. It's more than a little ironic how much this particular cluster of fundamentalists disavow the American government in light of the above -- and the other agencies that will get involved to secure the victim's welfare. 

3. Or on the other hand not at all ironic, because of course they don't want government oversight if they're covering up horrors. 

Go ahead, S'Morton family; surprise me. Tell us you're horrified (as you should be) and shocked (as you should be) -- and grateful for the arm of the law, trying to right his wrongs (as. you. SHOULD. be).

43 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

and continue for 3 years

Someone else mentioned "3 years" too. Where does this come from? Did I miss something in reading the original news story?

It's in the original story in the third paragraph.

"The activity of which Smith is accused occurred over a roughly three-year period, sheriff’s Sgt. Austin Cannon said."

(My quotes are fucky. Apologies. )

I'd say CPS wasn't warmly welcomed in this case since they had previously persecuted the good captain 

1 hour ago, uber frau said:

It's in the original story in the third paragraph.

"The activity of which Smith is accused occurred over a roughly three-year period, sheriff’s Sgt. Austin Cannon said."

(My quotes are fucky. Apologies. )

Thank you for answering my question. Somehow I missed it. Now I feel even worse, knowing this child torture was a long-term, ongoing situation. Poor, poor kid. Three years is a significant chunk of a kid's life.

Yeah, I'm with those who hope he ends up in the general prison population, for the rest of his natural life. Do they do that in GA, or do they protect the perverts by keeping them separate?

9 hours ago, Howl said:

Where did Captn Bret get his captaincy?  Is it self assigned or did the US Military assign it to him? 

I can't remember where I saw it, but I think he styles himself as a "Captain of men" (I don't know why he got his menfolk to wear his cosplay Navyish uniforms at the weddings etc though)

(The Captain doesn't suffer from humility for sure - there's a hilarious video he wrote & directed about courting, which involves a teen being told that as he doesn't have a father to direct Courtship for him, he should ask the wisest, most godliest man he knows - and he knows exactly what to do!  Ask Cap'n Bret!  The hubris was astounding)

Since I've seen countless non-fundie families keep sexual abuse hidden and never brought to the police, I have no problem saying fundie families most likely do the same. I'm proud of whoever brought this to the police. Because I know it must've taken courage whether it be a family member, a friend, or just an acquaintance. 

Is Bret Alan Smith currently in jail or out on bail?

ETA:  Oh, never mind.  I went back to the original article:

A Colquitt  County Magistrate Court judge denied bond on Tuesday for Smith. Rape is considered one of the state’s “seven deadly sins” and if bond is granted, it would be set by a Superior Court judge.

Glad that he's cooling his heels in the slammer.  I suspect he'll have many, many years to repent in the gray bar hotel. 

My cynical side is out in force with this.  I venture that this isn't Alan's first offense, it's just the first time he's been caught.

If we believe this is the first time he's done this, then we have to believe that a grown man with, as far as we know, no pedophile tendencies, decided 3 years ago to rape, molest and commit incest with a minor.

No, not buying it.

I'd bet cash money he was up to the same as a teenager and it was all hushed up,  Capt'n Bret found the perfect wife in Katie (he hoped) to keep his son away from the young ones.  Katie is naive to the max, compliant, completely submissive with no will of her own, and trained from birth to give in to every one of her husband's demands.  And in fundie world we know that means sex on demand/ command.

And I have this sinking feeling that if Alan did have a prior history of molestation, Pa Morton knew all about it, and that the marriage was arranged between Capt'n Bret and Pa M to keep Alan on the straight and narrow by marrying him to a godly, submissive girl so he could legally have all the sex he wanted.

If my supposition is true, I hope all the prior victims come forward and they put Alan is jail for multiple life sentences -- to run concurrently

Edited -- I mean consecutively -- one right after the other so he will never get out, never get parole.

As far as I know in GA child molesters are in the general population in prison.  And to even the most hardened criminal, a child molester is the lowest of the lowest of the low.  They are not treated well by the other inmates (to put it mildly).

I feel so sorry for Katie though. These people don't believe in divorce for any reason, so she'll be tied forever to a child rapist/molester and urged (forced?) to visit him with her children to show that they love and forgive him.

8 hours ago, Ms Lucy Fur said:

I'd say CPS wasn't warmly welcomed in this case since they had previously persecuted the good captain 

Oy, this keeps looking worse and worse. Looks like the video was made in 2012.

I wonder what the honerable Judge Gregory A. Futch makes of all this, and where he stands. 

Also, the good captain looks like he could be an extra on the Sopranos.

Not sure if any of you are aware of this but the Good Captain also is a singer, songwriter, dancer and choreographer!

this gem of a dance tutorial includes flick kicks, bursts, charleston kicks, and a jig to name a few. If you don't have the time to watch the whole thing skip to the 39-40 minute mark. 

49 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Oy, this keeps looking worse and worse. Looks like the video was made in 2012.

I wonder what the honerable Judge Gregory A. Futch makes of all this, and where he stands. 

Also, the good captain looks like he could be an extra on the Sopranos.

Note to self: try to bring up the kids in such a fashion that you don't have to take it for granted that the CPS will be at your door and take your kids away, it's just a matter of when.

15 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Not sure if any of you are aware of this but the Good Captain also is a singer, songwriter, dancer and choreographer!

this gem of a dance tutorial includes flick kicks, bursts, charleston kicks, and a jig to name a few. If you don't have the time to watch the whole thing skip to the 39-40 minute mark. 

He's just like the pisser; so fond of himself he'll record every move he makes for the 'benefit' of others.

Same motivation too, probably. You know what they say about small men. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived