IGNORED

S'Morton Alan Smith charged with incest, rape, child molestation

JustAnotherMaiden

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the S'morton men drove a big rig for a while. I have no idea if it was a temporary or off-season thing,or if it was even Alan.

ETA: his profile on DIYdrones has him as a accountant/farmer/diesel mechanic/tinker.

11 minutes ago, JMO said:

What does Alan do as a job? 

He's in the HVAC business with his younger brothers. I think their father helped them get their business set up.

I agree with others who have guessed that there is/will be a tremendous amount of victim blaming going on. In fact, I think it will be even worse than that -- I think they will not only blame the child, I think they will accuse the child of lying about the abuse or the extent of the abuse, blame the child for any abuse they can't deny, and then exile the child -- either physically and/or emotionally from the rest of the family. 

The whole thing is just so tragic...

14 minutes ago, uber frau said:

One of the S'morton men drove a big rig for a while. I have no idea if it was a temporary or off-season thing,or if it was even Alan.

ETA: his profile on DIYdrones has him as a accountant/farmer/diesel mechanic/tinker.

As someone with a 4-year degree in accounting, LOL.

WUT. i wasnt here for joshgate 1.0, but i imagine this is how people felt. i'm in total disbelief. and echo many earlier posters in my worry for katie. 

this also makes me worried for addie and the younger smorton boys, weirdly enough. i can sort of imagine them hearing this info and being like WOW maybe enough is enough and wanting to explore striking out on their own or at least trying to exercise some control over their lives at home...but now they are in paraguay, unable to speak the language or earn money for a ticket back to the US. they are completely trapped in this lifestyle. and katie, should the elder mortons take her under their wings, would similarly be trapped. 

24 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

now they are in paraguay, unable to speak the language or earn money for a ticket back to the US.

Do ANY of the Paraguay S'Mortons speak Spanish, even a little? 

4 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Years ago when Alan went to visit he wrote some phrases he knew on some interim blog site.  Other than that I've never seen any indication but considering how rural they are they'd have to learn. 

30 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

I think Addie was talking about Spanish lessons on her IG or something. And learning goes a whole lot faster when you live around the language, although that may assume an optimistic estimate of how often they leave the house. Either way, as a stay at home daughter I'm sure she has plenty of time to study.

8 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I can't stop thinking about this. It is, of course, so sick and disgusting. But, it's the girl I can't get off my mind. Or, in fundie speak, my heart. 

I think we can't be 100% sure it is a girl? I don't know if the report specified that it was. I'm only mentioning it because while I think it's important not to speculate who exactly the victim is, it's also important to recognise that there's a chance it was a boy or a girl.

7 hours ago, colder by the lake said:

He's in the HVAC business with his younger brothers. I think their father helped them get their business set up.

I agree with others who have guessed that there is/will be a tremendous amount of victim blaming going on. In fact, I think it will be even worse than that -- I think they will not only blame the child, I think they will accuse the child of lying about the abuse or the extent of the abuse, blame the child for any abuse they can't deny, and then exile the child -- either physically and/or emotionally from the rest of the family. 

The whole thing is just so tragic...

Victim blaming seems to be a tenet of American culture in general.  I knew someone petitioning to adopt a child out of the foster system.  The child had been sexually abused by her father, removed from the home, and placed in foster care.  Eventually, the parents' rights were terminated and her foster parents started the adoption process.  Suddenly, a bio family member (who knew of the abuse and did nothing to stop it) crawled out of the woodwork to challenge the adoption (after turning down the opportunity to care for the child when she was pulled from her parents' home).  The bio relative hired a lawyer to fight for the kid and their defense was that the abuse was the child's fault and that's why the bio relative didn't report it.  It was disgusting.  Thankfully, this was not the judge from the Stanford dumpster rape case and he called them out on their victim blaming.  No one involved in the ordeal was fundie.  I find it puzzling that a culture that makes a lot of noise about taking personal responsibility (especially if you're under the poverty line) does so much victim blaming.

1 hour ago, Childless said:

Victim blaming seems to be a tenet of American culture in general.  I knew someone petitioning to adopt a child out of the foster system.  The child had been sexually abused by her father, removed from the home, and placed in foster care.  Eventually, the parents' rights were terminated and her foster parents started the adoption process.  Suddenly, a bio family member (who knew of the abuse and did nothing to stop it) crawled out of the woodwork to challenge the adoption (after turning down the opportunity to care for the child when she was pulled from her parents' home).  The bio relative hired a lawyer to fight for the kid and their defense was that the abuse was the child's fault and that's why the bio relative didn't report it.  It was disgusting.  Thankfully, this was not the judge from the Stanford dumpster rape case and he called them out on their victim blaming.  No one involved in the ordeal was fundie.  I find it puzzling that a culture that makes a lot of noise about taking personal responsibility (especially if you're under the poverty line) does so much victim blaming.

We want to believe in a just world. Good things happen to good people, bad things happen to bad people, you get what you deserve in life. Of course, that's not how it works at all. But I think especially in the fundamentalist mindset, which heavily emphasizes the idea of "if you follow these rules and do XYZ, you'll be happy and prosperous and safe from bad influences and misfortune", victim blaming is a way to make sense of bad things happening to good people. It's also a way to absolve yourself and justify magical thinking: "oh, well, it's not going to happen to ME, because I wasn't a slut like that girl/a bad Christian/what have you".

5 hours ago, Pixie_Ham said:

I think we can't be 100% sure it is a girl? I don't know if the report specified that it was. I'm only mentioning it because while I think it's important not to speculate who exactly the victim is, it's also important to recognise that there's a chance it was a boy or a girl.

I am not speculating in the slightest. I used the pronoun 'she' because that's what comes to mind as I type. Far from speculation. If you note at the end of my post I said him/her. Writing is not exactly gender neutral friendly. And besides, while thinking about this yesterday and feeling so sick, it is a girl in my thoughts. I can't think neutrally, so I didn't write neutrally. Even so, it's not speculation. 

The PERSON is on my mind and I still feel sick for her/him/it. 

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

I am not speculating in the slightest. I used the pronoun 'she' because that's what comes to mind as I type. Far from speculation. If you note at the end of my post I said him/her. Writing is not exactly gender neutral friendly. And besides, while thinking about this yesterday and feeling so sick, it is a girl in my thoughts. I can't think neutrally, so I didn't write neutrally. Even so, it's not speculation. 

The PERSON is on my mind and I still feel sick for her/him/it. 

I totally didn't mean to say you were trying to speculate. I admit that when I first heard it I thought of a girl first. I was just trying to express that I'm sad anyone has had to go through what this child has at the hands of such a creep. Sorry if it came out wrong

14 hours ago, fundiefan said:

<snipped for space>

Now what? Is she getting the help she needs? Not Christian counseling; not being hidden away from the world as if she is the one to be shamed; not told to pray about it and let some god tell her what to do - - I'm talking real help. With trained, educated professionals who know ways to help victims of childhood rape, without throwing any god or other bullshit in there. Is she still with the SMorton clan? Does she have to hear the excuses and/or whatever else is being said? Is anyone letting her express her feelings and thoughts in a safe, free environment? 

Yeah, we can't assume that it is a girl - that has already been clarified.

DFCS is involved as well as LE, and the (alleged) victim and other possible victims were interviewed with the help of what appears to be a legitimate secular child advocacy agency, Hero House of Moultrie County.  

With DFCS involvement, where Katie, the alleged victim, and all the children end up, and whether or not they get professional counseling, is not entirely within S'Morton control any more.   The Patriarchs will have to deal with that.  They probably won't be talking about this on the blog or social media, but I anticipate many phone calls and mass emails with screams of persecution being shared with true believers.

I really hope DFCS doesn't drop the ball on this one and Katie cooperates. I hope they can put good professional supports in place so Katie is not dependent on either Smith or Morton family for support.    

Everyone involved needs proper professional counseling, including Katie.  I hope they make it mandatory and continue to monitor the situation.  I also hope that DFCS takes a long hard look at the extended family and clamps down on any and all victim blaming.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but I'm glad to see that Alan hasn't been released on bond yet.  If guilty, I hope the judge throws the book at him.

I have been trying to find the post discussing that Katie wasn't sure about marrying him and Pa Morton made the decision for her.  Anyone know where it is?  I have been searching the old blog. 

15 minutes ago, JMO said:

I have been trying to find the post discussing that Katie wasn't sure about marrying him and Pa Morton made the decision for her.  Anyone know where it is?  I have been searching the old blog. 

I can't tell a Morton from a Sanders from a Smith, but this video talks about it at about the 20 minute mark:

Spoiler

Update: I hadn't actually watched any more of the video than the Pa Morton bit, but wow does this all give off a creepy vibe... Also, for what it's worth, that 50 shekels that the groom pays for his bride is worth about $370.50 today.

Watching Alan in that video makes my skin crawl, knowing what we know now.

It is particularly rich and ironic when Michael Sr. is waxing on and on about walking out in the woods for 2 days and asking God to let him know if Alan was the right one for Katie, and he says something like "now the Lord could have said, "Well Michael I don't know about this Alan guy..., but he didn't! the Lord gave me a piece of him and his blessed direction that Alan was right for Katie."

What a bunch of nonsense!!!! He sounds like a lunatic talking to his imaginary friend about one of the biggest decisions of his daughter's life, who is too dependent and brainwashed to make any decisions for herself, especially knowing what we know now!!!!

You fucking asshole Michael, your sheer blind fanatical ignorance and God-father complex caused you to make this decision for your daughter, and now she is the mother of 8 children, whose father is going to be a convicted child rapist!!

Better get your behinds back from your little Never-Land in Paraguay and take care of your daughter!
Disgusting.

35 minutes ago, JMO said:

So I guess the Lord told him that marrying the perv would be a good idea. 

MOO any time you are not sure whether you should marry X, you shouldn't. If you're going to be their helpmeet for life, you owe it to them to make sure you want them. Half-assed commitment is half-assed commitment even if you call it biblical betrothal.

Plus , you owe it to your future kids not to ignore the early warning signs that their father-to-be is a creep

Holy carp, I had never been able to get myself to watch that video before.  Yikes!  The betrothal between K and Michael where they both pledge that they have never thought of or touched another and then she pledges herself to him after he gives the 50 shekels and gets the key to her heart.  BTW, I had never seen Alan speak before watching yesterday the other video about guarding your kids.  So arrogant, so full of himself.  He's such a jackass.  Must get it from his father. 

What I don't understand, is if Katie wasn't sure about Alan, and her father is himself not sure, why don't they all decide to take a step back and extend the courtship?  But, nooooooo! That would lead to lost heart pieces.  

And the stupid betrothal rules.  They are given a few weeks to fall in love and get to know each other.  That's it.  A few weeks.  They can hold hands but nothing else and must always be with a chaperone.  No wonder they all got duped by Alan.  

Meanwhile, when I was searching the old blog I came across the description of the wedding.  I had known about the foot washing but never read Katie's own justification for it before:

http://mortonclan.blogspot.com/search?q=katie

What is happening? ~ Katie is taking an old basin out of a basket, and then a pitcher...she kneels down, silk billowing all around her, and lovingly takes each of his feet, and washes them with her hands...while this sweet time is going on, there is a tape playing ,with 'Amazing Grace' in the background, in which Katie shares with eveyone how this is her outward sign that she delights to be Alan's helper, and she delights in being submissive and being under his authority. It was so precious, and there was not a dry eye in the room. Then they are presented as Mr. and Mrs. Alan Smith {for the second time. :) } and they go out, and they are in the middle of living happily ever after!!!

Oh for fucks sake, Alan actually used the word "purchase" about Katie in that video. PURCHASE. He and Pa Morton both deserve jail time on that basis alone.

19 hours ago, dramallama said:

I went browsing through Bret Smith's YouTube account today and came across....this, featuring Alan himself.  All about protecting the children.  Keep your kids out of school to protect them, meanwhile Alan is an accused child molester.  

Well when he gets out of prison (hopefully no sooner than twenty years) maybe Katie will wise up and ship his ass back off to Fake British-Accentistan where he came from. 

I can't help but think that there needs to be a Boston Globe-size investigation on child molestation, child abuse and sexual assault in general within fundie communities. It seems to be so common among them.

Their whole culture is set up for abuse of different kinds. And the sheltering from the outside world is the scariest. I might have a too big trust in law enforcements here, but how come their cults are even... legal in the first place? Okay, freedom of speech and religion and all that, but still?    Child Protective Services need to be more aware of them, if they are not already.

The original article said Alan could face charges in other jurisdictions for other sex crimes, presumably against the same victim. I wonder if he will plead guilty or try his chances at a jury trial. Do the S'Mortons have the resources to mount a defense?

Pa going on about praying for two days makes it way worse. It's all God's will. Silly man, A magic eight ball would of saved him so much time.

34 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The original article said Alan could face charges in other jurisdictions for other sex crimes, presumably against the same victim. I wonder if he will plead guilty or try his chances at a jury trial. Do the S'Mortons have the resources to mount a defense?

Is there more than one article? I could only find the one. Alan Smith is a pretty common name.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived