IGNORED

S'Morton Alan Smith charged with incest, rape, child molestation

JustAnotherMaiden

This has to be why Jacqueline Smith deleted her facebook account suddenly the other week. They must have got word what was going to happen, unless by some crazy chance it was her who notified the police? 

I'm so shocked that this has happened. I have followed the mortons for a long time and tricked myself into thinking they were lovable fundies. I guess that's an oxymoron if ever there was one. I just hope the child is getting proper counselling and knows it is in no way their fault. 

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7 kids and many nieces, nephews, and cousins. I have bad feeling about this one.

Oh fuck. I shouldn't be surprised but I hate to admit I am. If Katie had no idea, I really feel for her. She was the one who was unable to make a decision whether to marry Alan or not, because she was never allowed to make any decisions regarding her own life. Pa Morton even bragged about how his daughter was never taught to think for herself! Katie's just a doormat to the men in her life. IF she knew what was going on, then may she rot in the same place where her so-called-husband will rot.

Whoever the victim was, I hope he/she gets all the _professional_ help there is but I would not count on it. Wanna bet Katie & the kids are taken to Paraguay as soon as possible and told to forget it all.

Wait. I went to S'Morton archive and do I understand correctly, the Smiths have adopted children from Latvia?

Yes. The eldest 4 (Bret Alan II,  Kressant,&Rachel (all S'Mortons),&Bethany UnS'Morton (Lane))are Cap'n Bret and Jacqui's only bio kids in that family. The others are adopted from other countries, including Latvia.

It could have been someone from church. Katie posts pictures of them going to church with others. I am stunned as well but will be shocked if they DON'T blame the victim/s, somehow blame Katie or the evil government for "intruding" into a family matter.  Doesn't Michael Perl advocate staying with a child molester?  I am sure Katie will be pressured to stay with him just like Anna Duggar was and just pray harder about it. I feel for Katie, she has been taught her body isnt her own, I am shocked someone somewhere noticed something was very wrong.

This would explain the elder Mortons sudden return and the deleting of Jackie's facebook. The Smith sidehas a lot of more mainstream extended family members which in this case may have been the biggest blessing for the victim if it wasn't someone from church. 

Georgia doesn't mess around:

(b) A person convicted of the offense of incest shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten nor more than 30 years; provided, however, that any person convicted of the offense of incest under this subsection with a child under the age of 14 years shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than 25 nor more than 50 years. Any person convicted under this Code section of the offense of incest shall, in addition, be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Section 17-10-6.2.

(b) A person convicted of the offense of rape shall be punished by death, by imprisonment for life without parole, by imprisonment for life, or by a split sentence that is a term of imprisonment for not less than 25 years and not exceeding life imprisonment, followed by probation for life. Any person convicted under this Code section shall, in addition, be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Sections 17-10-6.1 and 17-10-7.

Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person convicted of a first offense of child molestation shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than 20 years and shall be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Sections 17-10-6.2 and 17-10-7. Upon a defendant being incarcerated on a conviction for a first offense, the Department of Corrections shall provide counseling to such defendant. Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, upon a second or subsequent conviction of an offense of child molestation, the defendant shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten years nor more than 30 years or by imprisonment for life and shall be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Sections 17-10-6.2 and 17-10-7; provided, however, that prior to trial, a defendant shall be given notice, in writing, that the state intends to seek a punishment of life imprisonment.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/Default.asp

I just hope for what is best for the child involved. :(

1 hour ago, uber frau said:

Yes. The eldest 4 (Bret Alan II,  Kressant,&Rachel (all S'Mortons),&Bethany UnS'Morton (Lane))are Cap'n Bret and Jacqui's only bio kids in that family. The others are adopted from other countries, including Latvia.

Thanks.
I had no fucking idea that there is a fundie family who had adopted from my country. Dammit, I was sure they had no idea that it exists. But turns out they have wandered through the streets of my hometown. 

I tried to check out his mother's facebook a few days ago and got nowhere. I assumed it was due to my lack of google fu but now I think she must have deleted her account because of this. I hope the victim is ok. I hope that the rest of family did not clamp down on other children and force them not to say anything when questioned by the authorities. 

3 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I wish I could say I was surprised this happened, but I'm only surprised it came out. :( Poor baby!

I'm of the same opinion. Between the Duggars, Doug Phillips is a tool, Gothard, the Old Schoolhouse family, and now the Morton's, I'm beginning to think that sexual abuse is the rule, rather than the exception in fundie circles. After all, if the tendency is to sweep male sexual misbehavior under the rug and blame the victim for causing the abuse, what incentive is there to prevent the abuse in the first place, much less report it in a timely manner? I know fundies certainly aren't alone in this behavior, but this kind of extreme, bunker-like mentality and the deliberate miseducation of women and girls keeps victims further enmeshed in abusive, dysfunctional environments, with access to information, therapy, or mandated reporters. Preserving the image of the "wholesome Christian family" becomes more important than creating a family environment that actually is healthy and wholesome.

6 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Agree. It's a good thing that actual LEOs are involved as well as CPS  but that may not ultimately prevent the S'Mortons from doing vile stuff like making the victim(s) "forgive" the predator.

It seems as though it would have to have been a family member, if not Katie, since they spend about 99.9% of their time with only other S'Mortons. Whoever it was, if it was family, it took some courage.

Either it took courage or it was so bad, horrific and out of control they reported it to save themselves. No doubt if family knew about it they tried to handle it themselves first.

36 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Either it took courage or it was so bad, horrific and out of control they reported it to save themselves. No doubt if family knew about it they tried to handle it themselves first.

I think we need to be careful about making assumptions here. Not all fundies are monsters.  For all we know, it might have been one of the family that reported him.  The only confirmed monster we have here is Alan... and I hope he rots.

First, if true, what a disgusting piece of trash that I hate to call a fellow human. 

Second, in googling for other stories I found this blog post on the Smiths' old blog:  http://smithfamilia.blogspot.com/2010/01/message-from-captain-bret.html.  This is the quote that stood out to me:

Just as we saw in Nazi Germany, so we are already seeing here “Christians” who are turning in believers to the authorities, usually through anonymous phone calls to state family and children’s services. We are currently working with families in Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and Tennessee – people who are personal friends of families in our church -- who are being persecuted, some severely.

While this was written 6+ years ago and clearly not related to this current horror, I immediately wondered if the words would be the same or different depending on how and by whom Alan was reported.

This is awful.  I can only echo what others have said about her purposeful ignorance, her lack of skills and the pressure she will be under to stand by her patriarch.  I hope he rots and if other victims are found all will get the appropriate counseling they need.  Disgusting.  Now Katie is going to be a single mother to 8.  She's due any day now.  I'm sure the two families will rally around her as long as she continues to toe the line.  I also noticed that Jaqueline Smiths FB page disappeared last week.  

Those wedding pictures? could easily pass for Game of Thrones screenshots.

Fall fast, fall hard, make a big splat when you hit the ground.

3 minutes ago, JMO said:

Now Katie is going to be a single mother to 8.

Out of all the S'Morton brides, I think she's the least capable of managing this situation (based solely on the blog, of course). I don't know about Rachel but, at least to me, Kressant seems to have some resourcefulness and resilience in her that might help her going thru a situation like this. Katie, on the other hand, has always looked like a doormat, like she has no thoughts or ideas of her own about anything. A perfect Stepford wife. And she has her parents to thank for that.

57 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I think we need to be careful about making assumptions here. Not all fundies are monsters.  For all we know, it might have been one of the family that reported him.  The only confirmed monster we have here is Alan... and I hope he rots.

My comment was based on the assumption this was reported by a family member. I think any group that separates themselves to be an example of purity and holiness would want to ignore and minimize a situation like this and handle it thier own way. 

I have witnessed a situation this past year where people ignored red flags because it was hard to believe a like able respected person would prey on others. I think people were in denial about what was going on and thought since nobody else is saying anything maybe it's not such a big deal. I think they were also afraid of any social backlash. The perpetrator was very well liked and when things did come to a head he did everything to make it look like he was misunderstood and he is a victim too blah blah blah. 

It's not only fundies. When awful things happen whether it's abuse or mental illness, those closest to them often have a hard time accepting it's as bad as it is and find ways of justifying it in thier minds. 

This is my point.

23 minutes ago, Kylolo said:

Second, in googling for other stories I found this blog post on the Smiths' old blog:  http://smithfamilia.blogspot.com/2010/01/message-from-captain-bret.html.  This is the quote that stood out to me:

While this was written 6+ years ago and clearly not related to this current horror, I immediately wondered if the words would be the same or different depending on how and by whom Alan was reported.

I went back and looked at Bret's Facebook posts from 2010. It appears that one of Jacqueline's cousins, a Brian Swanson, was arrested for child abuse at that time but from what I can tell, he was not convicted.

Holy.  Fucking.  Shit.  I always thought he looked like a smug, creepy bastard, but this?  Jesus, he had access to so many children.  So.  Many.  

While so much about this situation upsets and disgusts me, what sticks with me is that there are so many young children around him.  Younger adopted siblings, nieces and nephews as well as his own children.  All taught that he is an elder to be respected and obeyed. Also all purposefully not taught about sex until marriage and probably knowing what was happening to them is wrong and shameful but not knowing why. 

And I agree @LurkerOverThePond, Katie does seem much less able to handle it than any of the Smith women.  Honestly, I feel like the Morton girls are especially complacent.  Kressant seems to show some spark.  Rachel I don't know as well but she just looks more together.  Addie and Katie always had the most reverential insipid doe eyed comments on the blog.  Not to mention that horrid post-birth video that she did.  I couldn't imagine having Pa Morton overseeing my birth and being continuously encouraged to bear it and keep sweet for days of laboring with large babies. 

8 hours ago, uber frau said:

How, exactly,is Katie supposed to support herself and her children without her headship? She's been brought up to be dumb and dependant and her parents and a lot of her family(who conveniently were also her church and her community/support network) have decided to emigrate.  Basically, she's been set up to fail. 

So dumb and dependent that when she was presented with the question of marrying Alan, she was unable to make such a large decision for herself and so Dear Daddy prayed to the Lard about Alan, felt a great peace, and told her to marry him.

Edit:  replied before reading all the comments, I see this was already mentioned.  Oops!

I think the one thing that has always made Kress and Rachel look even more together is that their children and homes usually look very neat and clean while they're also being extremely domestic (making soap/canning/etc). While Katie's children and home have always looked messy and unkempt.

I do agree about the Morton girls learned helplessness being particular severe - Darth seems to be exception and she married into a family that seemed to match her own ideals well.

16 minutes ago, lexiloumarie said:

I do agree about the Morton girls learned helplessness being particular severe 

Which makes her the ideal wife for a predator.   He didn't pick her by accident....or for love. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived