IGNORED

Florida stories

47of74

3 hours ago, Rowan said:

Yup, a bunch of those and then other space things like shuttles and the like.......and he does have a PhD in engineering! (Aeronautical, to be exact - so my rocket scientist loves to play with LEGOs. And model trains. Nope, he doesn't say anything about my yarn stash!)

Um...we had a coloring book table at our wedding. And a LEGO table. (OH had to be told in no uncertain terms was he going to be getting MORE bricks to go on there, we would use what he already had!) Kids and adults alike loved them both. :happy:

I just remembered too my sister and brother-in-law had lego shaped cakes at their wedding as the groom's cake.  Boy those were damn good.  Couldn't eat just one.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Rowan said:

Yup, a bunch of those and then other space things like shuttles and the like.......and he does have a PhD in engineering! (Aeronautical, to be exact - so my rocket scientist loves to play with LEGOs. And model trains. Nope, he doesn't say anything about my yarn stash!)

Um...we had a coloring book table at our wedding. And a LEGO table. (OH had to be told in no uncertain terms was he going to be getting MORE bricks to go on there, we would use what he already had!) Kids and adults alike loved them both. :happy:

My brother has a PhD in engineering too!! (Mechanical)

and that sounds like an awesome wedding!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

My brother has a PhD in engineering too!! (Mechanical)

and that sounds like an awesome wedding!

Thanks - it was very unconventional and geeky - my nephew carried HP:HBP with a hollowed out to "The unbreakable vow" chapter instead of a pillow for the rings, our card box had a LEGO bride and groom on the top, the song when we left the ceremony was "Life's a Happy Song" from the Muppets movie, had a private showing of their cheetah run show (where we met), and the cheetah came to the reception after, stuff like that. Oh, and it was at the zoo where we met too! A lot of people said it was a lot of fun. Maybe because I was careful to keep our guests in mind - unlike certain large family fundies. lol

And while I'm typing this, he's here looking at the new LEGO catalog and saying "that's cool" about every other page!

• Upvote 5

This is so Florida that it is Peak Florida;

thesmokinggun.com/documents/florida/we-have-reached-peak-florida-532897

In a scene deserving of a “Yakety Sax” score, a 350-pound Florida man ran from a Walmart with two stolen TVs, but his getaway was compromised when his pants--containing his ID--“fell off as he ran away,” according to cops who yesterday apprehended the suspect, who had a crack pipe stuffed with Brillo buried in his anus at the time of his 3:43 AM arrest.

According to court complaints, Columbus Henderson fled from a Walmart Supercenter in Fort Lauderdale on September 26 with a pair of 40-inch Hisense televisions. Henderson, seen at right, bolted with the merchandise after he allowed a cashier to scan the $298 items.

As he scooted through the parking lot, the 45-year-old Henderson’s pants “fell off as he ran away,” according to Officer Scott Brandow. It appears that after Henderson’s pants fell to his ankles, he proceeded to run right out of the garment.

Upon arrival at the Pinellas County jail, Henderson informed officers that he had a crack pipe concealed in his anus. “When officers removed him from the vehicle, the defendant had removed the crack pipe from his anus and dropped it on the ground,” a patrolman reported.

Brillo?  Up there?  Ouuuuucccccchhhhhhhhhhh!

• Upvote 8

According to court complaints, Columbus Henderson fled from a Walmart Supercenter in Fort Lauderdale on September 26 with a pair of 40-inch Hisense televisions. Henderson, seen at right, bolted with the merchandise after he allowed a cashier to scan the $298 items.

Usually, if you intend to shoplift something, you try to stay away from store employees. Was he going to buy the televisions, found out they cost more than he thought, and then decided to steal them while in front of the cashier?!?

:dontgetit:

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Was he going to buy the televisions, found out they cost more than he thought, and then decided to steal them while in front of the cashier?!?

Perhaps he needed the loss prevention system on the tag deactivated somehow. Your guess is as good as mine. The big mystery for me is what a Brillo pad is used for in a crack pipe. Is it supposed to add weight so the pipe doesn't fall out? This truly baffles me. A FL Man never disappoints. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Geechee Girl said:

Perhaps he needed the loss prevention system on the tag deactivated somehow. Your guess is as good as mine. The big mystery for me is what a Brillo pad is used for in a crack pipe. Is it supposed to add weight so the pipe doesn't fall out? This truly baffles me. A FL Man never disappoints. 

That's a good point. Can you tell I'm not an accomplished thief? :pb_lol:

I just did a search, and it seems that people who smoke crack like to use some sort of filter in their pipes when smoking. A piece of a brillo pad seems to be a common choice among users. 

• Upvote 1

On October 6, 2016 at 3:15 AM, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

This sounds silly but Lego can be worth an incredible amount of money.  I'm talking thousands, sets that sold for around 100 less than a decade ago can now be worth 700. When I saw the headline I assumed the one had sold the other's collection and pocketed the money.  

I have been trying to acquire the original Star Wars lego sets and some of them of them are in excess of $1000.  Especially if the set is in original packaging.  

Even a newish Slave 1 is over $200.  The original I've seen as high as $500.   There is some serious money in Lego.  And star wars
!

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 8:43 PM, RosyDaisy said:

This belongs in the dumb criminals file.

Definitely a Darwin Award candidate, too.

• Upvote 1

My boys and I moved at the end of the summer.  I made the grave, grave, mistake of suggesting we pare down the Lego.  You would have thought that I suggested they become cannibals or something.  Or that they go to school naked.  I was forbidden from touching the Lego except to bring it from point a to point b.  They're 11 and 12. All I learned is - don't mess with Lego if you value your life. :P 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, canbritam said:

You would have thought that I suggested they become cannibals or something. 

This analogy made me laugh so loudly that it scared the cat who had been sleeping on me. ;)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

The latest from that state...

thesmokinggun.com/buster/florida/florida-forehead-tattoo-guy-204931

Floridian Secundino Cardenas, 67, has, for some unknown reason, a reflection on giving and getting respect inked in Spanish on his noggin.

Cardenas, a Miami resident, posed for mug shots Sunday following his arrest on two counts of felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Cardenas, a registered sex offender, is being held in lieu of $7500 bond at Miami’s Metro West Detention Center. Scheduled for a November 14 arraignment, Cardenas has been ordered by a judge to stay away from his alleged victim, a family member.

The defendant's forehead tattoo declares, “Yo soy el indio Colon respetame que yo te respeto.”

Running it through Google translate I got, "I am the Indian Colon Respect me that I respect."  Unless someone has a better translation I guess we'll have to go with that.

• Upvote 1

Well, in Spanish Colon is Columbus..... so maybe he meant, "I am the Indian, Columbus, respect me as I respect you."  Best I can do.

Any other Spanish speakers here, jump on in.   :)

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Well, in Spanish Colon is Columbus..... so maybe he meant, "I am the Indian, Columbus, respect me as I respect you."  Best I can do.

Any other Spanish speakers here, jump on in.   :)

Yeah that makes sense.   Looks like Google Translate struck out there.  Of course if its anything real important humans are still better than the Googles.

Edited by 47of74

LOL it often does.   Makes for interesting conversations between family members who don't share a common language!  You should have seen us in Germany with Mr MM's cousin, frantically typing into her IPad, only to make us ALL convulse with laughter!

• Upvote 2

Or on our trip to Chile, when my Spanish was really challenged... we asked for an ashtray and the waiter said he would bring us an ostrich.  That mighta been cool.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

LOL it often does.   Makes for interesting conversations between family members who don't share a common language!  You should have seen us in Germany with Mr MM's cousin, frantically typing into her IPad, only to make us ALL convulse with laughter!

Oh yeah.  You can have lots of fun with these online translators.  I remember there used to be something for babelfish that would take a sentence and run it through a dozen languages before translating it back into English.

I just ran "Donuts, is there anything they can't do?" through a bunch of languages on Google Translate and when coming back to Enlgish it came back with, "Cakes, they can not do anything."

• Upvote 5

Donuts > cake any day.  

Still one of my favorite posters @47of74.  You always bring the mirth :)

• Upvote 3

Oy vey. Looks almost like a bar code.

I've got two Kanji tattoos on each of my lower arms; one is the symbol for strength, & the other is my niece's name. After I'd gotten my niece's name tattoo (which was my first one, incidentally), I was at work at the animal hospital, & an Oriental gentleman had come in to pick up his boarding dog. He looked at the tattoo on my arm and didn't say anything. I immediately thought to myself that I hoped it didn't really mean f-you (or some such vulgarity). Thankfully it's fine. :my_blush:

• Upvote 1

Over on the Snopes message board, we have an annual thread of Christmas carols run through different languages on Google Translate or Babelfish.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, smittykins said:

Over on the Snopes message board, we have an annual thread of Christmas carols run through different languages on Google Translate or Babelfish.

Oh yeah, I"m going right down that rabbit hole.  Here's Silent Night after being run through a few languages

services
all clear
The poorest, humble servants
Children and mercy
sleep calmly
sleep calmly

• Upvote 1

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic