IGNORED

Florida stories

47of74

I hope the video is used as evidence and then destroyed. Hopefully the pervert that filmed it hasn't posted it anywhere. I feel he should face charges too.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I hope the video is used as evidence and then destroyed. Hopefully the pervert that filmed it hasn't posted it anywhere. I feel he should face charges too.

Agreed.  Literally the only way I can see this filming as OK is if the person happens upon the situation after Mr Garcia showed up, called 911 and then filmed the whole thing as evidence that he didn't do anything wrong.

Sadly, I think that's optimistic for the society we live in now.

• Upvote 2

Nahhhhh, a really good hard yank can be effective enough, and no need to mess up your Manolos.

Glory holes are pretty common in rundown public restrooms frequented by men looking for quick, anonymous sex. I have a hunch the street sweeper was not the person the organist was expecting.

On 7/27/2016 at 0:22 PM, Cartmann99 said:

I honestly don't understand shoving your genitals through a hole and taking the risk that the other person won't try to hurt you or call the cops. I get that this particular restroom probably has a reputation for being a place to go for anonymous sex, but this is just dumb to me.

Because a wide stance works so much better......:pb_eek:

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, ALM7 said:

Hum .... 

Reveal hidden contents

NowThatsFunny-MarApr2013.jpg

It's best I stop there...

I imagine he's not playing one of these

Spoiler

organ.jpg

• Upvote 2

I have to admit that, having done my PhD at UF and taught some genuinely great athletes (including football players) over there, this story makes me so happy. I'm glad to see one of our great kids represent a counterpoint to the Brock Turners of this world.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

As seen below...

thesmokinggun.com/documents/florida/senior-busted-in-shuffleboard-rage-incident-628934

A dispute on a Florida shuffleboard court turned violent yesterday when an 81-year-old man allegedly punched a fellow pensioner and struck him with his shuffleboard cue, according to court records.

The confrontation Wednesday afternoon occurred at the Pinellas Park Senior Center, which includes an open-air pavilion with 16 shuffleboard courts (as seen below).

Police charge that octogenarian Herbert Hayden “had a verbal argument that escalated into a physical altercation.” Hayden allegedly punched the victim, James Sutton, in the face and “hit him with his shuffleboard cue causing damage to both cues.”

Sutton, cops noted, sustained a pair of four-inch scratches “on the right cheek of his face.” Sutton’s age is not included in court filings.

Wow. Can you imagine having to bail grandpa out of jail?

Oh Florida. The other day there was a Washington Post article "Freaky Florida," and it was basically about how that state is so strange.

• Upvote 2

I don't live in Florida, but our multi-neightborhood bi-weekly paper has a crime column that occasionally cracks me up. A lot of it is the usual break-ins and thefts, but then you get something like the old guy who escaped the memory ward at the local nursing home and was found three blocks away hitting someone's car with his cane. Or, my personal favorite, the vandalism case that involved planting a tree in the middle of a golf course.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Wow. Can you imagine having to bail grandpa out of jail?

Oh Florida. The other day there was a Washington Post article "Freaky Florida," and it was basically about how that state is so strange.

I was reading about Lawrence Tierney, who had played Cyrus Redblock in Star Trek: TNG and the Regent of Palamar in DS9.  They said his agent was bailing him out of jail as late as 1994 when he was in 70s.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

I was reading about Lawrence Tierney, who had played Cyrus Redblock in Star Trek: TNG and the Regent of Palamar in DS9.  They said his agent was bailing him out of jail as late as 1994 when he was in 70s.

:pb_lol: I'm not too familiar with the Star Trek series do I had to look it up, but it sounds like he took his job a little too seriously and tried to live out his role.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, Florida.

http://thesmokinggun.com/documents/stupid/domestic-lego-brawl-105693

A Florida man’s decision to throw out his 19-year-old son’s Lego collection last night triggered a domestic brawl that ended with both combatants behind bars, police report.

Responding to an 11 PM domestic violence call at a Port St. Lucie residence, cops encountered Nicholas Melice, Sr. and his son, Nicholas Jr.. The elder Melice, 46, had been arguing with his son, cops noted, “over Mr. Melice Sr. throwing out Mr. Melice Jr.’s Lego’s.”

The dispute, both Melices acknowledged, turned physical and included the exchange of shoves and punches. The men each suffered scratches during the fight.

The younger Melice apparently discovered that his Legos had been trashed upon returning to his family’s home from his current residence in Jupiter.

I wonder if any part of the Great Lego Brawl of 2016 involved either combatant throwing legos at each other?

• Upvote 6

This sounds silly but Lego can be worth an incredible amount of money.  I'm talking thousands, sets that sold for around 100 less than a decade ago can now be worth 700. When I saw the headline I assumed the one had sold the other's collection and pocketed the money.  

• Upvote 11

5 hours ago, IntrinsicallyDisordered said:

This sounds silly but Lego can be worth an incredible amount of money.  I'm talking thousands, sets that sold for around 100 less than a decade ago can now be worth 700. When I saw the headline I assumed the one had sold the other's collection and pocketed the money.  

Agreed. My husband is majorly into LEGOs, and it's insane. I didn't even know the depth of it until we finished moving all of his stuff from his old apartment to our new one together (only been married 4 months). These things could fill a large walk-in closet. They are sorted by color, size, and shape. And he has multiple unopened kits. Luckily he's willing to get rid of some of the duplicates and even single kits, because hello $$$$! I'm already planning what Harry Potter kit I'm going to buy with the proceeds. LOL - all that he had, he only had two small HP kits. The sacrilege. 

Anyway, I could see a major family feud over these things. Was the dad wrong? Absolutely. Is it possible the son sunk a ton of money into these things and maybe wasn't adulting properly? Absolutely. But we really don't know more than the basics. 

• Upvote 9

Agree. I'm an AFOL owning several hundred sets. I completely understand the sons reaction. I'm still pissed at my Mum for giving my Duplo bricks away. Like really pissed. But secretly I hope for some idiot father/mother to sell me cheap LEGO on a flea market.... ;-)

@Rowan I'm sure you husband knows this homepage, but if not, here is the link: http://brickset.com. One of the best homepages for LEGO. I keep track on my collection and the sets I want on there. 

• Upvote 5

:: facepalm ::

I have seen some pretty sweet Legos in colors that I hadn't seen before (especially in the Toys R Us store in Times Square), so I can see how crazy/cracked out folks can get. And, incidentally, if the Sherlock Lego set is a real thing & comes out, you can bet your sweet bippy that I'll be in line to buy it.  ;)

Legos are fun, dammit.  :my_biggrin:

Just glad that this didn't escalate to having weapons used.

• Upvote 6

Brickset is great, so is Bricklink.com, well that can be the worst for your wallet.  My partner is an AFOL - and suppose I am too - and luckily he went through his dark ages when the sets weren't as good...I think he came out of it right before they started with the Modulars and he has all of them.    I see people bidding over $500 for an opened Cafe Corner on ebay and just boggle.   He hasn't bought any extras to sell later but we did finance a new Ikea bathroom with the sale of minifigures to one of his (very adult, successful, professional) cousins.  He'd been buying whole boxes to mix and match since series 5 I think, and still made a mint selling some extras even though he charged his cousin way less than what the same figures were going for on Bricklink.  

We missed out on all Harry Potter though unfortunately!  Only have the games for the Wii (best moment was when I tried to change McGonagall from her cat form back into a person while she was in a pipe, got stuck, and crashed the game).  

It looks like JR in this story lives at another residence, I hope he wasn't in the process of moving out and not moving fast enough and dad got impatient.  Or maybe JR wasn't the one that originally paid for them and didn't value them and left them strewn on the floor for dad to step on and anger clouded dad's judgement...seriously, if you're going to get rid of your kid's Legos, don't throw them in the trash!

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Rowan said:

Agreed. My husband is majorly into LEGOs, and it's insane. I didn't even know the depth of it until we finished moving all of his stuff from his old apartment to our new one together (only been married 4 months). These things could fill a large walk-in closet. They are sorted by color, size, and shape. And he has multiple unopened kits. Luckily he's willing to get rid of some of the duplicates and even single kits, because hello $$$$! I'm already planning what Harry Potter kit I'm going to buy with the proceeds. LOL - all that he had, he only had two small HP kits. The sacrilege.

Your husband and my brother should hang out, they'd become very good friends and bond over their Lego obsession, haha. My brother's favorite part of adulthood is being able to buy all the Legos he wants. He has majorly invested in Star Wars Legos. Those sets are hard, man. 16 and up? More like PhD in engineering and up. I have a couple Harry Potter sets. I should get more...

He also has lots of assorted colors as well, all organized. When we were kids he'd make up his own things in addition to the sets, and build an expansive "Lego Land" forest, full of various animals (of course he needed each one) and dinosaurs. And dragons. And a castle. It's still in my parents house (in a storage room, but laid out as it was back in the day). If my parents threw it out he would be beyond furious. 

• Upvote 2

Do they still make "generic" Lego sets(i.e., not geared to a specific project)?

22 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Do they still make "generic" Lego sets(i.e., not geared to a specific project)?

They do; they're called Lego Classic, but the ones I have seen are small, like 200-300 pieces. My nephew does the Creator series with the storefronts. The detail on them is so cool. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Your husband and my brother should hang out, they'd become very good friends and bond over their Lego obsession, haha. My brother's favorite part of adulthood is being able to buy all the Legos he wants. He has majorly invested in Star Wars Legos. Those sets are hard, man. 16 and up? More like PhD in engineering and up. I have a couple Harry Potter sets. I should get more...

He also has lots of assorted colors as well, all organized. When we were kids he'd make up his own things in addition to the sets, and build an expansive "Lego Land" forest, full of various animals (of course he needed each one) and dinosaurs. And dragons. And a castle. It's still in my parents house (in a storage room, but laid out as it was back in the day). If my parents threw it out he would be beyond furious. 

We were at the Iowa State Fair last year and we went by a table that had a bunch of legos on it for the kids to play with.  We remarked it was a good thing my brother in law wasn't there otherwise he'd be there the whole rest of the day.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

My brother's favorite part of adulthood is being able to buy all the Legos he wants. He has majorly invested in Star Wars Legos. Those sets are hard, man. 16 and up? More like PhD in engineering and up. I have a couple Harry Potter sets. I should get more...

Yup, a bunch of those and then other space things like shuttles and the like.......and he does have a PhD in engineering! (Aeronautical, to be exact - so my rocket scientist loves to play with LEGOs. And model trains. Nope, he doesn't say anything about my yarn stash!)

13 hours ago, 47of74 said:

We were at the Iowa State Fair last year and we went by a table that had a bunch of legos on it for the kids to play with.  We remarked it was a good thing my brother in law wasn't there otherwise he'd be there the whole rest of the day.

Um...we had a coloring book table at our wedding. And a LEGO table. (OH had to be told in no uncertain terms was he going to be getting MORE bricks to go on there, we would use what he already had!) Kids and adults alike loved them both. :happy:

• Upvote 5

39 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Yup, a bunch of those and then other space things like shuttles and the like.......and he does have a PhD in engineering! (Aeronautical, to be exact - so my rocket scientist loves to play with LEGOs. And model trains. Nope, he doesn't say anything about my yarn stash!)

Um...we had a coloring book table at our wedding. And a LEGO table. (OH had to be told in no uncertain terms was he going to be getting MORE bricks to go on there, we would use what he already had!) Kids and adults alike loved them both. :happy:

That is a great idea! Not only can it bring people together (if they don't want to work alone, that is), but it's also a lot of fun.

if a friend gets all cracked out about something they love (like a friend of mine that's into farming & heirloom fruits/vegetables), not only do I also get excited but I also don't judge the person & think about things I'm obsessed about (ie, beading). Everyone's got their own thing that they're into, and I find that to be quite cool indeed.  ;) 

• Upvote 5

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic