IGNORED

Woman Jailed for Being Raped (potential triggers)

polecat

Thanks to a little-known legal instrument known as an “attachment order,” the district attorney in Harris County, Texas, forced the woman to spend an entire month in a notoriously hellish jail despite not even being accused of a crime—all because he feared that she would fail to appear at a court date during which she was supposed to provide testimony against a now-convicted rapist. During her time in the jail, according to a lawsuit filed earlier this month, she was beaten by a fellow inmate, treated like a sex offender by medical staff, and punched in the face by a guard.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2016/07/a_texas_prosecutor_jailed_a_rape_victim_to_ensure_her_testimony_against.htmlhttp://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2016/07/a_texas_prosecutor_jailed_a_rape_victim_to_ensure_her_testimony_against.html

Anderson said her office was compelled to use an attachment order in this case because the woman called to testify was homeless and mentally ill.

Of course, if you're homeless and mentally ill you should know that you don't have human rights! 

And obviously

The woman in this case, to reiterate, was a rape victim with a mental illness. According to the suit, however, that did not stop jail staff from classifying her in their computer system as a defendant in a sexual assault case—an oversight that later led medical staff to question her “orientation” to reality and to note her “confused” belief that she was a victim rather than a perpetrator. To make matters even worse, Jenny was placed in general population rather than in the jail mental health ward

I just saw this yesterday. SO disgusting I can't even handle it. This woman is so strong to continue to try to get justice. I think I would have given up just to get some fucking peace. 

So not only will people not believe you, ask you what you were wearing, ask you if you were drinking, ask you why you didn't just keep your legs closed, ask you why you didn't say no, ask you if you were asking for it, you might also go to prison "for your own good"! 

Just another reason for women to be terrified to come forward when they are raped.

Archived