IGNORED

All Topics Hillary Clinton MERGED

RoseWilder

8 hours ago, sparkles said:

She has a lifetime of public service behind her, she's intelligent, she has extensive experience nationally and internationally, she has the respect of other world leaders, she doesn't behave like a petulant child or a buffoon, and I do believe she cares deeply about issues concerning women and children. 

Her resume of accomplishments is really impressive. It's really disappointing that this doesn't get more media attention. She has done so much to improve the lives of women, children, minorities, people with disabilities, etc. 

I also admire that no matter how many times the Republicans try to knock her down, she keeps on going.  That's the kind of tenacity that I want in a President. 

• Upvote 7

I like Hillary. She is intelligent and very qualified for the position of President. She has a long history working in areas that I have worked in and personally find important.  Working in the indigent healthcare field, I have seen the benefits of CHIP.  She actually help set the wheels in motion for the Affortable Heathcare Act. She was talking about healthcare reform years ago. 

Is she perfect? Nope, but neither is anyone else. I actually think she will be good for this country. She has proven to be tough as nails and has a honey badger attitude. God knows the GOP has been slinging their poop at her at years, but she keeps going. We need a strong person to deal with the GOP and their nonsense. 

• Upvote 10

I like Hillary too.  Sure, she's make her missteps and mistakes.  Anyone else will have too, but we need someone who is qualified for the job of President, especially now IMHO, and she is definitely that.

Watching the Benghazi hearings and seeing how she endured it so well, I remarked to Mr. No, "she's definitely presidential material here". 

• Upvote 11

For me, what really stands out with Hillary, is that, unlike with some politicians, Hillary's not just standing up there telling us she's going to help women and children and people with disabilities. She's actually spend her entire adult life fighting for those causes and improving things. 

I was talking to a teenager the other day about Hillary, and she's only heard the nasty, far-right, cartoon version (thanks for that reference, Bill) and she had no idea about all the things Hillary has accomplished in her life. She was amazed when I filled her in on some of it. 

• Upvote 11

I think a candidate's choice of a running mate also shows us a lot about what kind of judgment they will have as President, as well as the kind of people they will fill their cabinet with, and seeing Hillary's choice has reaffirmed for me why she'll be a good President. She didn't pick some flashy person that would give her campaign more attention - she chose someone with an eye toward governing. 

• Upvote 9

I agree.  Because in 2008 I was undecided until McCain announced Palin as a running mate.  And once that mess hit - I made up my mind.  

• Upvote 5

On July 27, 2016 at 11:35 AM, sparkles said:

It's unfortunate that she doesn't give the appearance of being particularly warm and fuzzy or anywhere  near as personable and approachable as Michelle Obama (tough act to follow) so she'll have a hard time changing people's opinions of her.

You probably didn't mean it this way, but she's not actually following Michelle's act... Bill would be following Michelle, Hillary would be following Barack. Small detail in one sense but major implications in another sense.

I agree that it's unfortunate she doesn't have as much approachability or personal charisma as other presidents have had. It's not fair that that would hold her back, but it pretty much does.

• Upvote 4

It's true that she may not seem as warm and fuzzy some, but she's like a nice warm hug compared to the hatred that's spewing out of the Republicans lately. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, libriatrix said:

You probably didn't mean it this way, but she's not actually following Michelle's act... Bill would be following Michelle, Hillary would be following Barack. Small detail in one sense but major implications in another sense.

I agree that it's unfortunate she doesn't have as much approachability or personal charisma as other presidents have had. It's not fair that that would hold her back, but it pretty much does.

No, that's not how I meant it. I made a comparison between two women—Hillary and Michelle—because that's what the general public will do. Frankly, Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama are both damned if they don't and damned if they do as far as the right is concerned. No matter what they do, it's never going to be right. Strong, intelligent woman are a threat. Melania Trump, on the other hand (who may well be strong and intelligent too, although we'll never know), is NOT a threat. At least as long as she continues to gaze adoringly (or vacantly IMO) at Donald and keeps herself looking pretty. 

• Upvote 6

More reasons I'm voting for Hillary: 

1. she'll appoint supreme court justices that believe in equality for all

2. her position on equal pay for woman

3. her work on the Family Medical Leave act makes me believe she will continue to fight for women/families

• Upvote 10

My mom and I were discussing Hillary not being as approachable or personable earlier today.

For one, I think as Secretary of State, she had to be cool and collected in order to do her job. She represented the U.S abroad, so of course she would want to present herself as level-headed and stoic. It would make sense if she's still stuck in that mode when dealing with the public.

If she isn't composed, I can only imagine the kind of misogyny Fox News and Trump would stir up about Clinton being too "hormonal" to be president. [emoji849] Shes already got people blaming her for her husband's affair (again).

I'd rather have Clinton's stoicism than Trump's temper tantrums.

• Upvote 8

@Alicja: Good points. The ugly reality is that women are held to different standards. If Hillary was warm, she would be labeled as too emotionally, she's less emotional and she's called cold. She can't win either way. 

• Upvote 10

@Alicja: Good points. The ugly reality is that women are held to different standards. If Hillary was warm, she would be labeled as too emotionally, she's less emotional and she's called cold. She can't win either way. 

It's disgusting. Women should be allowed to get passionate about things they care about without fear of being dismissed as "hormonal" or "PMSing". Clinton should feel free to be as uninhibited in her speeches and interviews as she wants. She's not spewing hateful rhetoric.

Society makes fun of girls for enjoying superficial, material hobbies, then shames them for caring about the world around them. I hate patriarchy.
  • Upvote 14

I'm not really sure what thread to put this in, so I'm just sticking it here. 

To sum up the article, some people are becoming concerned that the hackers are going to mess with the campaign's ground game and hack into the voting machines and change people's votes: 

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/elections-parties-hacking-226467

I can't figure out if this is a legitimate thing to be concerned about or just politico's attempt at clickbait. Thoughts?

I definitely recommend watching Hacking Democracy, if you want to know what could happen with voting machines. Most of our machines tend to be quite "vulnerable." 

Edited by religiouslyconfused
  • Upvote 2

Why is George Stephanoupolous (sp) interviewing Trump every five minutes? He's doing that right now on his Sunday morning show. I never turn on the tv and see him sitting down with Hillary.

• Upvote 2

For all US voters: also cross-posted in the Trump 2 thread:

There was a great link posted in Naugler 17 (Poopgate) @Artemesia (thanks a million, hon!---but am gonna repost your link, so even more people will see and benefit):  

You can get a FREE pocket copy of the US Constitution (looked pretty similar to the one Mr. Khan waved), courtesy of the Ebil American Civil Liberties Union, through November 8, 2016!  Here's the link; your coupon code is POCKETRIGHTS.

https://shop.aclu.org/product/ACLU-Pocket-Constitution-of-the-United-States

• Upvote 2

@samira_catlover: A part of me wants to take a page from the Periods for Pence people and we should all send a copy of the constitution to Trump headquarters. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, RoseWilder said:

@samira_catlover: A part of me wants to take a page from the Periods for Pence people and we should all send a copy of the constitution to Trump headquarters. 

@RoseWilder that's a nice idea, but as Bill Maher has said, there's no evidence Trump can actually read. I'm the first one to admit I haven't read every single word of our Constitution, but I have read much of it over the years and know how to research.

Not about Hillary, but I'm still shaking with fury over Trump's ugly and ignorant comments about the Khan family. I don't know if it was posted in another thread, if it is, I'm sorry for the duplication, but Ghazala Khan, the mother who stood quietly on stage while her husband spoke so eloquently, had an op-ed piece in today's Washington Post. Here's a link.

I am so hoping that maybe some of the on the fence people see that this country will not be a good place if Trump wins. No matter what people may think of Hillary, she's an adult. She also has impulse control, something Trump is sorely lacking.

For a laugh, you may enjoy Bill Maher's closing from Friday night. He said that because so many people seem to want a "strongman" for President, Hillary should just buy into it and become "The Notorious HRC". Some of his comments are so funny. I especially loved when he said that Hillary should say, "They are saying 'lock her up', well, I'm not afraid of a stretch in the joint. I could run this m-fer from inside. El Chapo has nothing on me." The sad thing is: some rabid anti-Hillary people will probably take what he says as fact. Here's the video, if you are interested.

• Upvote 5

I just read an interesting op-ed about sexist things people should stop saying about Hillary Clinton: 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rebecca-bohanan/stop-saying-these-sexist-_b_11266784.html

The part I found the most interesting was when the author is talking about how Hillary was first talking about making college more affordable back in 2006 and that people are not trying to act like Bernie Sanders came up with the idea. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2016 at 10:15 AM, RoseWilder said:

I serious hope this doesn't end up coming to pass: 

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/tim-kaine-vp-challenge-convention-226125?lo=ap_a2

I'm really trying to understand where Bernie Sanders' supporters are coming from, but a lot of them are really getting on my nerves. They keep complaining about how the country isn't left enough and the Democratic party isn't left enough, but young people statistically don't show up for the mid-term elections. And Sanders' supporters are largely young people. So, it stands to reason that a lot of the Bernie Sanders supporters who are complaining about how the Democratic party isn't far left enough are the same ones who aren't showing up for the mid-term elections. Did it ever occur to those people that we would already be a much farther leaning left party and country if they had shown up in 2010 and 2014 and not allowed so many Republicans to get voted into office.

I see what you're saying according to demographics/ statistics, but many of today's young Sanders supporters were not old enough to vote in the last midterm elections. So it's not right to paint them with that demographic brush - in fact, I'm willing to cut them a bit of slack for the rude behavior of some, just because for many, it's  their first election, and their first lesson in things not turning out like they hoped. I'm actually grateful to these kids for being a lot more involved than the 18-20 year-olds of 2010 and 2012.  They really give me a lot of hope for the future.

Edited by PraiseDog
  • Upvote 2

@PraiseDog: The ones I know where old enough to vote in the last one. They're in their early 20s. And they are angry that the country isn't far let enough while only voting in the Presidential elections. 

What I find confusing is how some Bernie supporters are blasting Clinton for picking Kaine because he isn't liberal enough on banks - all while completely ignoring the fact that he's actually a much stronger supporter on Civil Rights issues than Bernie is. Yet they complained during the primaries that black voters were ignoring Bernie's work for the Civil Rights movement. I mean, they're doing the exact same thing they claimed black voters were doing a few months ago. Makes no sense to me.

(And I say Kaine is a stronger supporter because he lives and built a career in a state that has a lot more diversity and a tougher struggle with those issues than Bernie does. And, to be honest, Bernie can afford to be more liberal on many things - including banks - because he lives in a state where no major banking head quarters are located. Meaning, he can afford to piss off bankers because they likely aren't his constituents. Living in Vermont also likely explains his pretty lax stance on gun laws as well - he needs to represent his constituents' views and can't piss them off horribly if he wants to keep his job.)

• Upvote 5