IGNORED

All Topics Hillary Clinton MERGED

RoseWilder

I'm also not that familiar with him so I'll reserve judgement until I learn more. I wish she brought a little more diversity to the ticket however. 

• Upvote 2

I was hoping Hillary would select Elizabeth Warren.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

I was hoping Hillary would select Elizabeth Warren.

I'm glad she didn't. I love Elizabeth Warren, but I think it's too risky to give up a Senate seat. 

• Upvote 17

I don't know much about him yet, but his "type" is what I expected. White, male, not too liberal, from a swing state, and from most accounts I've read very likable among politicians. Warren or Booker were never really on the table, and while I would have preferred an actual progressive on the ticket, realistically I know that had a high likelihood of backfiring come election day. 

I'm extremely relieved she didn't choose Warren (or Warren rejected the offer?). We need her in the Senate...she'd accomplish so much less as a VP.

• Upvote 13

Yeah, y'all are right. Warren needs to stay in the Senate. I didn't think about it that way.

ETA: Feline headship thought the power cord to the wireless router would be a good toy.

• Upvote 6

Meh, some white guy from a southern/east coast state. Wake me up when this is over. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Actually, from what I've read he's pretty liberal.  He has a 100% rating from Planned Parenthood, is fluent in Spanish, and also had the NRA do everything in their power to stop him from being elected, where he passed a whole bunch of pro-gun control laws.  Also, some website has rated his voting record as 94% liberal.  I think he removed funding for abstinence-only sex ed while governor too. Sure he may be a white man, but it seems he is a strong liberal that will deliver at least one swing state, if not others.  I recommend reading this article if you want some more info on him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/krystal-ball/the-progressive-case-for-_2_b_10773840.html

• Upvote 14

I'm reading a bit more and he seems ok. I'm concerned over the anti-choice legislation he supports (or supported in the past?)--D&X (I fucking refuse to use that idiotic "partial-birth abortion") ban, parental consent for abortion, and forcing doctors to waste women's time with the cons of abortion and information on adoption; but Democrats being disappointing is standard operating procedure. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I'm reading a bit more and he seems ok. I'm concerned over the anti-choice legislation he supports (or supported in the past?)--D&X (I fucking refuse to use that idiotic "partial-birth abortion") ban, parental consent for abortion, and forcing doctors to waste women's time with the cons of abortion and information on adoption; but Democrats being disappointing is standard operating procedure. 

You might find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MLrMpPkEOg

It's an interview with the head of planned parenthood on his selection as VP.  I know he did some crappy things when he was Governor, he has since had a 100% voting record on abortion issues.  Also, Rachel Maddow brings up his governor platform position on supporting abstinence-only education, which he later reversed on and cut all funding for those programs in Virginia.  I remember him being quoted as saying that a review of those programs showed they were ineffective, and so while he still supported abstinence, he wanted to save money and potentially spend it on something more effective. 

• Upvote 8

I think Kaine is a good choice - he's someone who will govern effectively as a VP. He's also someone who, like Hillary, can change their position on an issue . She was not in favor of equal marriage rights until she saw the damage that not being able to be legally married did to couples, and she learned about the topic because she studied it in depth and she changed her mind. I value that in a leader, or would-be leader, that their positions on things can change (like Kaine and the abstinence-only school curriculum) based on facts. It shows me that they use their brains and don't govern by impulse or what their "gut" tells them.
Pence was chosen to appeal to a certain demographic, not because he's an effective leader who has demonstrated he can get shit done at the executive and legislative levels. Kaine may be "boring," but I think he was chosen based on what Hillary needs from a Vice President, not just his core demographics.

• Upvote 15

Did anyone else watch the 60 Minutes interview with Clinton and Kaine? I just finished watching it and I feel like they both did really well. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

Did anyone else watch the 60 Minutes interview with Clinton and Kaine? I just finished watching it and I feel like they both did really well. 

Would you be willing to do a brief summary of the interview? Thank you!

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Would you be willing to do a brief summary of the interview? Thank you!

Sure! 

I don't remember the exact order this stuff happened  in,  so here's a random sampling: 

1. Clinton said she chose Kaine because she feels like he's qualified to take over as President if needed and that she also picked him because he'll tell her what he really thinks and tell her if he disagrees with her. 

2. Kaine was asked if he feels like he's qualified to take over as President. Kaine said he believes he is, and he spoke of working his way up the political ladder (mayor, senate, governor) and of not skipping any rungs on the ladder. 

3. Kaine was asked if it would be weird to be working with 2 Presidents in the White House. Kaine said it would be an embarrassment of riches. Then Clinton was asked to address people's claims that there would be 2 Presidents in the White House. I can't remember her exact words, but she said something to the effect that she would be the President. But that she would look to Bill for input. She mentioned the positive economic changes Bill brought to the country. Then she said that she doesn't believe she has all the answers and she would be looking to others for advice, including President Obama. 

4. Clinton was asked to address Benghazi, and she said she didn't think she was to blame for that situation, that she followed the advise of people more qualified than she was. She mentioned past Secretaries of State who had similar problems and that they were not politicized the way this was. She said she is being held to a different standard than others. 

5. Clinton was asked if she thought she was wrong about the private email stuff. She said that she was wrong, that she made a mistake. 

6. Clinton was asked about her thoughts about people chanting "lock her up" during the RNC and she said it made her sad and that she found the overall tone of the convention to be too negative, that the Republicans didn't offer any solution and that the only thing that seems to unify them is criticizing her. Then Kaine jumped in and said he found the Republicans' behavior at the RNC ridiculous (and he managed to sound firm but friendly while saying it - it was impressive.) 

I think those are the main points of the interview. But if I think of anything else, I'll post more. 

Edited by RoseWilder
  • Upvote 16

I serious hope this doesn't end up coming to pass: 

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/tim-kaine-vp-challenge-convention-226125?lo=ap_a2

I'm really trying to understand where Bernie Sanders' supporters are coming from, but a lot of them are really getting on my nerves. They keep complaining about how the country isn't left enough and the Democratic party isn't left enough, but young people statistically don't show up for the mid-term elections. And Sanders' supporters are largely young people. So, it stands to reason that a lot of the Bernie Sanders supporters who are complaining about how the Democratic party isn't far left enough are the same ones who aren't showing up for the mid-term elections. Did it ever occur to those people that we would already be a much farther leaning left party and country if they had shown up in 2010 and 2014 and not allowed so many Republicans to get voted into office. And did it ever occur to them that the DNC isn't going to cater to the very people who won't show up and support them in the midterms. 

ETA: I'm not speaking in terms of all Bernie Sanders supporters. I realize a lot of them are reasonable, fair people who see what's at stake in this election. I'm speaking in terms of the extreme ones.

Edited by RoseWilder
  • Upvote 9

3 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

I serious hope this doesn't end up coming to pass: 

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/tim-kaine-vp-challenge-convention-226125?lo=ap_a2

I'm really trying to understand where Bernie Sanders' supporters are coming from, but a lot of them are really getting on my nerves. They keep complaining about how the country isn't left enough and the Democratic party isn't left enough, but young people statistically don't show up for the mid-term elections. And Sanders' supporters are largely young people. So, it stands to reason that a lot of the Bernie Sanders supporters who are complaining about how the Democratic party isn't far left enough are the same ones who aren't showing up for the mid-term elections. Did it ever occur to those people that we would already be a much farther leaning left party and country if they had shown up in 2010 and 2014 and not allowed so many Republicans to get voted into office. And did it ever occur to them that the DNC isn't going to cater to the very people who won't show up and support them in the midterms. 

ETA: I'm not speaking in terms of all Bernie Sanders supporters. I realize a lot of them are reasonable, fair people who see what's at stake in this election. I'm speaking in terms of the extreme ones.

I think they also just seem to forget Hillary supported what I think was a single-payer health care system in the early 90s and was practically crucified for it.  I'm sure she still prefers that system, but understands she won't get there in her term, and maybe not in her lifetime.  She's still trying to improve the system.  That's what really drives my crazy about Bernie supports.  There is no way Sanders could accomplish most of what he said he would during his campaign.  Not only is does he not have a clear path (in the cases of throwing people on wall st. in jail), but he just wouldn't have the support to get anything done in congress.  He has spent his entire time as a senator as the contrarian voice who didn't have to work with anyone to get what he wanted done and often criticized those  who compromised as not doing enough.  I think that role is important, but he was never forced to make alliances or work with people of differing opinions, nor forced to compromise, something that he would constantly have to do as president.  

Also, the lack of understanding of how your political system works is crazy (though since it's very complicated, somewhat understandable).  The president has very limited power and needs the senate and house to support the president's agenda.  With very few people of the same mindset of Sanders, it would be impossible for him to pass anything.  If Sanders' supporters really want this change, its going to take a long time and a huge amount of effort.  Finding and supporting candidates at many levels of government - especially local and state level politicians.  It's a great training ground, allowing them to get experience and make connections to run for higher office.  There is also a ton of policy created by those levels of government, like abortion restrictions, and education.  To me, these hard-core supporters need to either make plans for the future to move the country in the direction they want, or come to terms with the fact they really don't care enough to do anything about it.

***end rant***

• Upvote 6

29 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

If Sanders' supporters really want this change, its going to take a long time and a huge amount of effort.  Finding and supporting candidates at many levels of government - especially local and state level politicians.  It's a great training ground, allowing them to get experience and make connections to run for higher office.  There is also a ton of policy created by those levels of government, like abortion restrictions, and education.  To me, these hard-core supporters need to either make plans for the future to move the country in the direction they want, or come to terms with the fact they really don't care enough to do anything about it.

***end rant***

I loved your entire post, but I'm quoting my favorite part. Very well said. I'm seeing a lot of Sanders supporters who want to complain about how things are going, but really don't do much to push their agenda forward. 

I vote in every election, not just the presidential one. I donate to campaigns on the local, state and federal level. And I do volunteer work with various campaigns. If a Sanders supporter has done all that and still is unhappy with the direction things are going, then I can empathize with them. I"m not totally happy with how things are going either. But if they haven't done those things then they need to zip it when it comes to complaining about the direction of the party and country. 

• Upvote 3

@RoseWilder Honestly, as a Canadian, many of Bernie's positions are very close to mine (except for his stance on gun control), but I also understand that the american system takes a lot longer to change than ours.  It's just so sad and disappointing to see people so angry Bernie didn't win now deciding that someone similar to him isn't good enough, so they're going to vote for a racist, xenophobic misogynist out of spite, completely disregarding the consequences of those actions.  To see them get bent out of shape of every perceived wrong Clinton makes, but ignoring everything Trump has said is just mind-boggling.  It's weird to me that as a country some (maybe many) of americans idolize the founding fathers, but are completely dissatisfied by the political system they put in place.  But I'm crossing my fingers and wishing you guys the best of luck the common sense wins out in the end :) 

• Upvote 2

Looks to me that she chose a guy that could lure reasonable republicans to vote for her - white, male, likeable, not too much on the left. For those republicans that are terrified by Trump, Clinton/Kaine duet could be a pretty good alternative. 

• Upvote 6

I live in Virginia and voted for Tim Kaine in both the Governor and Senate races. Do I agree with every single thing he's ever said or done? NO! Do I think he's a reasonable choice for VP? YES!

He has joked many times that he is dull, and he is, but I'd rather someone dull who actually works than someone who just shouts things for the camera (AKA Donald Spray Tan).

Probably the only thing that really worries me about his running for VP is that his Senate seat will now be up for grabs. Our Governor, a Democrat, will appoint a person to that seat until a special election can be held next year. Mid-term elections are often rough on the party who is in the White House, so if Hillary is elected, I worry that Tim's Senate seat would go to a much more conservative person next year. Much of Virginia is deeply conservative, it's only the highly populated Northern Virginia and the state capital area (Richmond, where Tim was mayor) that keep the state and federal elections leaning a little left. I have read that several big name conservatives here in VA are lining up to compete for the Senate seat. That scares me. I will do my part, as I vote in every single election, no matter how "small". Also, I am pushy, strongly encouraging others to vote, even dragging some neighbors along with me when I go to cast my ballot.

• Upvote 4

A point was made in another thread that Clinton supporters are too focused on why we shouldn't vote for Trump instead of why we should vote for Clinton. So I started this thread so we could list all the reasons why we are in favor of a Clinton presidency - reasons other than "because she's not Donald Trump." 

I'll go first: 

1. I really admired during her 60 Minutes interview when she said she chose Tim Kaine because she wants someone who will disagree with her and tell her when she's wrong. She also said in a recent interview (can't remember which one, but it might have been 60 MInutes) that she doesn't believe she has all the answers so she'll be looking to others for advice. I admire and respect when someone can acknowledge that they don't have all the answers, and seek out help from qualified experts. 

I'll have more in-depth, policy-related answers later, but I have to get ready for work now, so I'm going with a quick, personality-related answer for now. 

Edited by RoseWilder
  • Upvote 7

She wasn't my first choice and I've had major issues with some Clinton policies in the past, but I'll vote FOR her (in addition to voting AGAINST Trump) in November. She has a lifetime of public service behind her, she's intelligent, she has extensive experience nationally and internationally, she has the respect of other world leaders, she doesn't behave like a petulant child or a buffoon, and I do believe she cares deeply about issues concerning women and children. Donald Trump can lay claim to none of these qualities. Is she perfect? No. Do I think she's deceitful? No more so than any other politician—it comes with territory. Do I trust her? Ditto. I certainly don't think she's the lying, cheating, scheming Lucifer she's been made out to be by the right but they've definitely done a good job of demonizing her to the public. It's unfortunate that she doesn't give the appearance of being particularly warm and fuzzy or anywhere  near as personable and approachable as Michelle Obama (tough act to follow) so she'll have a hard time changing people's opinions of her.

• Upvote 10