IGNORED

Mass shooting (suspected terror attack) happening in Munich, Germany right now

Iamhispurity

2 hours ago, SrMaryEloquentia said:

Couldn't agree more on everything above, but especially the bold part, which is exactly the premature conclusion I jumped to earlier today. Wrongly, as by now things look like the shooter was acting on his own accord.

As to your argument of radicalism being nothing new: You're right, Papessa, but that does nothing to reassure me. This sort of terrorism reminds me of the anarchists who tried to destabilize Europe around the turn of the last century to bring about a communist revolution. They targeted an astounding amount of statesmen, dignitaries and royalty now largely forgotten but for the shooting of Austria's crown prince in Belgrade in 1914. The result was the First World War, something everyone later claimed "had just happened".

I've been a politically thinking person since the fall of the Berlin Wall when I was 11, and I've never been so worried.

Gavrilo Princip, the assassin of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, was a Serbian nationalist, not an anarchist. The Black Hand, the group Princip was associated with, had as its goal the liberation of Serbs living in Austro-Hungary. They were inspired by the unifications and Germany and Italy into modern nation-state, not anarchism. However, I see the resurgence of nationalism and right wing populism through Europe as a worrying trend. Princip himself is regarded as a hero among modern day Serbs, complete with statues and other honors.

On 23.7.2016 at 8:22 AM, Clementine said:

Weapons and hand granades are flooding into Europe from the Balkans. The EU obviously has no control over the outer border and once the goods are inside the EU, there are no border controls thanks to the Schengen agreement.

So drugs, weapons and terrorists can get into the EU and move freely without any problems. If you wonder why so many Europeans don't like and don't trust the EU, that is one valid reason.

Personally, I'm not following what this has got to do with the EU. The criminal/murderer in question was a German citizen. Being a German citizen as well, I could relatively easily obtain weapons, without having to resort to illegal means.

I personally prefer to grieve with the victims' families and friends, over a human tragedy.

4 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

Personally, I'm not following what this has got to do with the EU. The criminal/murderer in question was a German citizen. Being a German citizen as well, I could relatively easily obtain weapons, without having to resort to illegal means.

I personally prefer to grieve with the victims' families and friends, over a human tragedy.

Fraurosena wondered where these idiots get their guns. I guess that it's possible to get a gun legally in Germany and if you can't get a legal gun it's easy to get an illegal gun in Europe. I was answering her question and that doesn't mean that I don't grieve with victims families.

Another attack in Germany today: a random woman killed with a machete.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/24/syrian-refugee-kills-woman-with-machete-in-southern-germany/

Since people asked: According to today's news, the attacker of Munich seems to have ordered his weapon on the dark web. It was a "Dekorationswaffe" (gun used for decoration or acting purposes) that was reactivated so it could be used as a real gun again. It was indeed ordered from Eastern Europe. For now it is unknown whether he reactivated the gun himself or bought it ready to shoot.

Germany has very strict gun laws but there are ways to legally optain a gun. However, this one was illegal.

There was a bombing in an other Bavarian town,  Ansbach, tonight. 12 people were injured. The bavarian secretary of state is speaking of a likely terror attack. 

This week, it is simply too much. Too much violence, hate and loss.

Oh, another one. I know that sounds dismissive, but, I just really don't know what to say anymore.

The German media is now reporting that the Munich shooter was probably motivated by right-wing xenophobia, hero-whorshipped Norwegian mass murderer Breivik, and admired Hitler. Allegedly, his particular anger was aimed at people of Turkish descent. All nine of his victims were people with a migration background.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/justiz/muenchen-david-sonboly-handelte-womoeglich-aus-fremdenhass-a-1105007.html

(Link is in German)

Oh, and this happened as well today: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3710274/Gang-Muslims-storm-nudist-pool-Germany-yelling-Allahu-Akbar-threatening-exterminate-women-sluts.html

For anyone who doesn't want to click on the link- a group of men, fluent in German and Arabic, entered a nudist swimming pool shouting "Allahu Akbar", calling for the "extermination" of "sluts".

Extremism in all forms, from all sides is a bad, bad thing in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

<snip>

Oh, and this happened as well today: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3710274/Gang-Muslims-storm-nudist-pool-Germany-yelling-Allahu-Akbar-threatening-exterminate-women-sluts.html

For anyone who doesn't want to click on the link- a group of men, fluent in German and Arabic, entered a nudist swimming pool shouting "Allahu Akbar", calling for the "extermination" of "sluts".

Extremism in all forms, from all sides is a bad, bad thing in my opinion.

This is really, really scary. I'm so angry about all of this happening, just when the German public seemed to realize that yes, immigration has been a reality in German society for the last 50 years or so and for the most part has changed our country for the better.

I live in a major industrial city, and around here people have come to work for the car industry from the 1960s on, mostly from Turkey and Southern Europe. from what I see every day, their children and grandchildren are now doing quite well. I work at a major hospital and if all the doctors and nurses with "Migrationshintergrund"  would stay home for 3 days we could close the place down.

19 hours ago, Clementine said:

A suitcase filled with cans of aerosols caught fire, no hints of explosives. The police is investigating, but currently it could be pretty much anything. From a silly mistake to an attack.

All and any articles I have come across do not contain much more info than the one you linked. So, basically, too early to say what happened there.

Archived