IGNORED

Things that give you the Demons!

Black Aliss

OK, what is "remote viewing" and why is it Satanic?

Heard Art Bell (and now Miss Wade) discuss this curious topic with guests before on my fav midnight radio show. Like most of what they discuss, I love to listen - but am skeptical as hell.

It's, allegedly, using psychic energy to view a place, in the current timeframe, and generate impressions of a particular subject. As opposed to impressions of a future event, etc.

It gained major interest in the paranormal field during the 1990s when the military declassified documents on a Project Stargate they had engaged in to see if any actual psychic abilities were real, and could be used for various warfare applications. It was a small group of about 20 guys, and housed in a leaky barracks. They came up with squat and disbanded it, having spent some $20 million all told. This was back in the mid and late 80s.

One notorious scenario had officers staring at a goat, locked in a room, and attempting to kill said goat with psychic energy. The goat survived, and was probably remarkably bored.

This led to the humorously titled book, "The Men Who Stare at Goats". It was a rather good read... The movie just took inspiration from it all and had George Clooney in a rather forgettable role.

Though, bizarrely, one of the officers does manage to walk through a wall in the movie. O_o

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't dice a big no-no, too?  Somehow they're the gateway to hell. 

On July 18, 2016 at 9:23 PM, JMarie said:

Devil's Food cake and Lucky Charms.  I remember something on MTV or VH1 about Katy Perry.  Her brother (or was it her sister?) said they couldn't have either food while they were growing up.  Devil's Food cake, because of the Devil, and lucky = Lucifer.

That sort of thinking absolutely terrifies me. How in denial of cultural context and metaphor does someone have to be to start thinking that Devils Food means anything other than super indulgent? Even if I vehemently disagree, I understand why stuff like Eastern religions, yoga etc. freak out some fundies because it's practicing something spiritual/spiritual-esque that doesn't involve Jesus. But silly names of desserts? :my_huh:

Great thread! Totally cracking up. I think you've all covered everything the CoC considers demonic. Great job, everyone!

17 hours ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Add all this to the list:
21d0319d135b9ef1c1bbd7c6eeab4c2f.png

Cyberpunk?  Awww.  Well at least Steampunk and Dieselpunk are okay.

Guess we better be sure to eat meat every day to keep the demons out.

Hmm, it says heavy metal, not heavy metal music.  How heavy is too heavy?  Are cars demonic?  Tractors?  I-beams? :P

I kinda assumed this was from the 90s but then I saw Twilight films is on the list, so... wow that just accentuates the ignorance if it's contempory!

Also are the Twilight books undemonic?  Yay!

This was not written by an idiot.  No one ignorant person could produce something this scattered and poorly thought out.  No, this is clearly the work of a committee!

20 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

Hmm, it says heavy metal, not heavy metal music.  How heavy is too heavy?  Are cars demonic?  Tractors?  I-beams? :P

I think they're more worried about heavy metals like lead, arsenic, and mercury.

I think aluminum and titanium are good, though.

:kitty-wink:

2 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

I think they're more worried about heavy metals like lead, arsenic, and mercury.

I think aluminum and titanium are good, though.

:kitty-wink:

Methinks they could use some lithium.

My family was in a New Age religion when I was growing up that argued that recreational drugs, cigarettes, and alcohol all attracted negative spirits.

My husband's family bounced around within Christianity - from Jehovah's Witnesses to TV preachers - and when he was a teenager his step-father tried to exorcise a Nintendo cartridge (can't remember which one) because my husband's younger brother started having bad dreams about the time my husband borrowed the game from another kid at school. The step-father took it out in the yard in the middle of the night and started beating the game with a hammer and yelling what my husband has described as "made-up Bible words" to  get of the demons in the game.  Really sucked for my husband because it was a borrowed game...

I had an uncle who thought that barcodes were the coming of the end times as they were the mark of the beast and soon governments would make all citizens get one. (This was in the early 90s - thus far I haven't been barcoded.)

@tehfanglyfish,  your father-in-law was probably speaking in tongues which I think of as made-up Bible-ish.  (Not to offend any FJites who do speak in tongues.)  

Hobby Lobby still doesn't use barcodes because they're the "sign of the beast."

4 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Wait, for real? Why are barcodes the sign of the beast?

What will they say when everything has an RFID and you can just walk through a big scanner and it scans everything in your cart in one go?

On 7/22/2016 at 9:45 PM, December said:

That sort of thinking absolutely terrifies me. How in denial of cultural context and metaphor does someone have to be to start thinking that Devils Food means anything other than super indulgent? Even if I vehemently disagree, I understand why stuff like Eastern religions, yoga etc. freak out some fundies because it's practicing something spiritual/spiritual-esque that doesn't involve Jesus. But silly names of desserts? :my_huh:

And, yet, my fundie relatives, when we were putting out a family cookbook, all contributed recipes for a Better Than Sex Chocolate Cake. Although, now that I am forced to think about it, that said more about the quality of their headships' lovemaking than an obsession with the carnal world.

22 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@tehfanglyfish,  your father-in-law was probably speaking in tongues which I think of as made-up Bible-ish.  (Not to offend any FJites who do speak in tongues.)  

The owners claim is that they don't use barcodes because they prefer to have their clerks know if something is out of stock, or broken. People who shop there claim it's so they can advertise sale prices but if you don't watch closely as you are being checked out, you will be charged the regular price.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

That's a good guess, though with my FIL, it's hard to tell. He is... a unique individual. They kind of follow their own hodge podge version of Christianity that retains lots of legalism but not a lot of the NT's emphasis on love, forgiveness, etc. I have heard them mock people who speak in tongues but their beliefs kind of shift so who knows. My husband said the whole encounter was disturbing and that the "exorcism" didn't stop his little brother's nightmares. So Nintendo wasn't the culprit.

1 hour ago, sophie10130 said:

Wait, for real? Why are barcodes the sign of the beast?

What will they say when everything has an RFID and you can just walk through a big scanner and it scans everything in your cart in one go?

I don't know anything about Hobby Lobby but my uncle's argument was that it was part of the plan to create a one-world government because that way everyone could be tracked from birth. And a quick Google search led me to a site explaining that there are hidden 666s in all barcodes. (Though that wasn't my uncle's point.) Maybe I've been corrupted by "the beast" but being able to have everything scanned all at once with RFIDs would make grocery shopping soooooooo much better!!!)

6 minutes ago, tehfanglyfish said:

I don't know anything about Hobby Lobby but my uncle's argument was that it was part of the plan to create a one-world government because that way everyone could be tracked from birth. And a quick Google search led me to a site explaining that there are hidden 666s in all barcodes. (Though that wasn't my uncle's point.) Maybe I've been corrupted by "the beast" but being able to have everything scanned all at once with RFIDs would make grocery shopping soooooooo much better!!!)

This isn't a slight at you, I'm just trying to understand. What is so unbiblical/demonic about a one-world government? Also, doesn't it say that once the entire world unifies their language again that's when Jesus will come? So don't Christians WANT that?

I was trying to find where I heard that once everyone speaks the same language that Jesus will return and can't find it. I have NO idea where I got that from, but I remember learning it at some youth group. Also something about if there is total world peace?

@Black Aliss, that explanation of Hobby Lobby's about their not using bar codes is so much bullshit.  Using bar codes should help with keeping inventory, not hinder it.  My daughter heard from a friend who'd worked at HL for a awhile that the company frequently requires managers to work on Sundays.  Why? to do inventory!

This thread is both hilarious and sad. I'm apparently infested with demons, based on the number of banned things I enjoy/own.

I can't find it now, but I remember a few years ago someone in the BJD (ball jointed doll) hobby posted something about being convinced her dolls were harboring demons and had to be destroyed. Those things are expensive, and everyone who read that cringed! I do bet if they were more popularly-known they'd be on the fundies' lists, however.

Once I also was having a nice discussion with a lady in line at a pharmacy that ended when the subject of Harry Potter came up and she declared it was evil and should be banned. I think my eyes got big and my mouth dropped open and I stammered something about how wonderful the worldbuilding was and that I'd read them all and thought the books were amazing. I'd HEARD about the anti-Harry Potter rhetoric, but to meet someone who seemed otherwise rational and intelligent who believed it? Blew my mind.

I'm pretty sure every once in a while as a child, my mom would hear about something "demonic" (probably from someone at our church at the time, which wasn't quite fundy-lite but edging that way), and give me a brief "you shouldn't listen to that music" or "you shouldn't watch that" talk. Oddly, I don't remember ever doing more than saying "OK" and going on with what I was doing. I think she was too stressed to make a big deal out of stuff that kept us occupied and quiet, so as long as she didn't have to listen to the late-80's hair metal she just let it slide.

1 hour ago, tehfanglyfish said:

My husband said the whole encounter was disturbing and that the "exorcism" didn't stop his little brother's nightmares. So Nintendo wasn't the culprit.

So weird!  You would think that attacking a friend's borrowed game with a hammer and shouting at it in Biblese would have fixed the nightmares.  Wonder how that went wrong... :confused2:

7 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

No shit!!  I never noticed that.  Guess I was too busy rolling my eyes at all the godly merchandise in there.

7 minutes ago, Granwych said:

No shit!!  I never noticed that.  Guess I was too busy rolling my eyes at all the godly merchandise in there.

Along with all the crosses and such, they sure do have lots of Buddha figurines/heads and Kwan Yin statues.  I don't think I've ever noticed any Judaica in HL though.  That's good because is they did have Judaica, it would be tacky.  Didn't some HL in New Jersey get in trouble for having no Chanukah items a couple of years ago?

On July 22, 2016 at 0:22 PM, THERetroGamerNY said:

Add all this to the list:
21d0319d135b9ef1c1bbd7c6eeab4c2f.png

It's nice to have a condensed list like this. I feel like we should have a contest: How many sins leading to demonic possession did you commit today?

On July 22, 2016 at 11:27 PM, THERetroGamerNY said:

It's, allegedly, using psychic energy to view a place, in the current timeframe, and generate impressions of a particular subject. As opposed to impressions of a future event, etc.

So, it's like live streaming?

On July 16, 2016 at 0:49 PM, Black Aliss said:

Commercial aircraft, which is why televangelists and prosperity gospelists, such as Creflow Dollar, need their private jets please send money.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/preachers-insist-god-wants-us-to-have-luxurious-private-jets-to-avoid-dope-filled-airline-passenger-demons/

*flips table and storms off*

If they were really so godly shouldn't they be able to resist demon possession? Or they could wear a cross/drink holy water.

Or get one of these nifty tattoos:

3-12_Jus_in_Bello.jpg

On July 17, 2016 at 3:50 PM, sophie10130 said:

I knew a girl whose church had those Haunted Houses with pregnant teens and people dressed up like Harry Potter and her mom really pressured her to dump her boyfriend because his sister read Twilight so obviously they weren't Christian enough.

Why is Harry Potter in a haunted house? Is Voldemort there? What about werewolves?

If they really want to scare teens out of having sex just have women in labor without an epidural. All the screaming should scare those darn kids.

On July 17, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Grimalkin said:

That, and for being a crow. Crows are evil. They are spys for you know who.

Voldemort?

On July 17, 2016 at 8:08 PM, MyMilkshake said:

Piercings, magic 8 ball, voodoo. 

Furbies are evil!  

Furby.jpg

Furbies are the one thing on this list that actually are possessed by demons.

Is it just me or do evangelicals make hell sound really fun? I feel like making hell sound like the best party ever isn't a good way to deter people from wanting to go there..

Archived