• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
sophie10130

Pokemon Go!

doggie

seems gyms are kind of pointless. you can't keep one really and you don't get a lot for fighting. you can get a whole 10 coins each day. I noticed in the last few days most of the pokemon are higher level run away more often and escape more often. so even catching the basics can really eat through your supplies. 

Grimalkin

I think I have 4 magikarps. It's not for lack of trying. My son loves gyrados with a passion (he is eight) so we try to find them. I have about five tangelas, they were in my neighborhood. Eevies are pretty available by my house too. I evolved about five flareons before my teen told me to name it Rainer  to get a Vaporeon, and Sparky to get a jolteon. I discoverd a good place to get Vulpix and I want a nine tails so bad. My son was delighted we caught a Ryhorn. He does my gym battles for me since I'm a lover and not a fighter.

HerNameIsBuffy

I've yet to even see a gyrado or tangela. :( I downloaded Friday night after some adult beverages (I blame @Destiny) so between yesterday and today:

• 16.89 kilometers 
  • 167 pokestops

I'm so poke tired.  But I had so much poke fun.

I hate venonats so much - taunting little bastards.  They are everywhere and always escape and if rats were as populous as rattatas in my world we'd all have the Black Plague.  (Why did auto correct cap that)

I did manage to snag a vulpix, but haven't seen another since so idk how I'll ever evolve her.

church_of_dog

A few questions for you pokeplayers --

Who decides where the pokemons should be located?  Is it some kind of random GPS thing?  Can people control whether there are Pokemons on their private land?

Does everyone who is playing see the same ones in the same places?  

Once one person catches one (or whatever it is you do with it) does it change or disappear for other people or is it still available to be caught-whatevered by the next person too?

Are they out in remote places, small towns, out in the forests etc?  Just cities?  I can't decide if there is any Poke activity in my town -- we're seriously small/remote -- would there be?

Since I don't play and don't plan to play, I'm not sure why I'm so curious, but I am -- it's fascinating to see everyone suddenly speaking a language that is totally uncomprehensible to me.

Thanks to whoever helps sate my curiosity by answering these questions!

Maggie Mae
9 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

A few questions for you pokeplayers --

Who decides where the pokemons should be located?  Is it some kind of random GPS thing?  Can people control whether there are Pokemons on their private land?

I don't know about the actual pokemons, they seem to spawn kind of randomly. But Pokestops are attached to landmarks like public art and buildings. 

Does everyone who is playing see the same ones in the same places?  

Sort of? I play with a coworker sometimes and we usually see the same ones at the same places. But I've read that some of the rare pokemons only spawn for a short amount of time and two people at the same spot at the same time one might miss with. 

Once one person catches one (or whatever it is you do with it) does it change or disappear for other people or is it still available to be caught-whatevered by the next person too?

They can be caught by many people when they spawn. 

Are they out in remote places, small towns, out in the forests etc?  Just cities?  I can't decide if there is any Poke activity in my town -- we're seriously small/remote -- would there be?

There's been a lot of complaints about the lack of pokestops and pokemon in rural areas. I usually have to walk about a quarter of a mile before any show up at my house. When walking from work there are a lot more. 

church_of_dog

@Maggie Mae thank you!

I'm guessing they're not in my area then -- although depending on who decides where they appear (the Pokemon company?) there might be, I suppose.  I had read stories about them being on personal property and wondered if there were some on a person's property whether they could object or arrange for them to not be there.

Every time I see a person looking at a smartphone I now wonder if they're playing, lol.  But unless they say something, I don't know how to tell.

Oh, I forgot one other question I wanted to ask -- are the details of this game consistent with the Pokemon you knew as a kid?  ie the lures, incense, gyms, balls, all the context aside from the Pokemon characters -- are they new to y'all or part of what you remember?

Edited by church_of_dog

HerNameIsBuffy

@church_of_dog I'll answer as best I can.  

1.  Niantic the game company sets the pokestops.  They are nearly identical to the portals of their other game, Ingress, so there are maps out there without downloading the app.  It uses GPS but it's not really random.  Different regions have different common species so something rare to be could be one another region is sick of catching all the time.  No, can't control where they are, but the game warns people not to trespass.   I knew we had them in the house as my daughter had been playing since the start, but I was still happily surprised to see a Bellsprout hovering around my china cabinet.

2. For the most part,. There are times my husband and I will be standing right next to each other and we will see different critters or one of us won't see them at all...but most of the time  they're there for both of us.

3. It can be caught by whomever is there before it disappears.  This disspointed me actually, I thought it would be where if I got there first and smoked him in a footrace he wouldnt get it and I'd win, but this is more fun.

4. My understanding is there are Pokemon where there are people.  They are more concentrated around pokestops which tend to be near businesses, historical landmarks, parks, museums, malls...places where people gather.  You'll also find different species in different areas - some water types are abundant near bodies of water and scarcer on land.  I work in a manufacturing district and am curious to see if I'll find some steel types tomorrow.  Some areas have more, some less...it really depends.

im fascinated by the tech behind it, going to fall down that rabbit hole.

Maggie Mae
1 minute ago, church_of_dog said:

@Maggie Mae thank you!

I'm guessing they're not in my area then -- although depending on who decides where they appear (the Pokemon company?) there might be, I suppose.  I had read stories about them being on personal property and wondered if there were some on a person's property whether they could object or arrange for them to not be there.

If you have a Pokestop on your property you can object. A local airport/strip (for private planes & small taxi planes) had to opt-out because people were going onto the landing strip at night in search of pokemon. Morons. 

1 minute ago, church_of_dog said:

Every time I see a person looking at a smartphone I now wonder if they're playing, lol.  But unless they say something, I don't know how to tell.

I can tell by conversations, location, and the way they are using their phone. If you aren't a player it's probably not as obvious. 

church_of_dog

Thanks @HerNameIsBuffy!  I would love to see the map, will do a little googling.

ETA:  googled and found what I thought was a map of Poke-stuff, saw the nearest anything to me seems to be a gym that is 250 miles away.  However, when I panned up to Alaska it didn't show anything there in the whole state, so it seems there is something wrong with this map.  Will keep looking.

Yes, the tech behind it sounds fascinating indeed.

13 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I can tell by conversations, location, and the way they are using their phone. If you aren't a player it's probably not as obvious. 

Yeah, I'm pretty oblivous.  There were two guys I didn't know in our cafe the other day (this by itself is unusual, to give you an idea of how small this town is) and they both had their phones out.  But I couldn't hear their conversation and there are a million other things a passer-by might legitimately be doing on their phone while having lunch, so there was no clue to me.  You're right, if I knew the motions I'm sure it would be more apparent.  I'll have to ask around among friends with smartphones, see if I can find anyone who plays.

Edited by church_of_dog

HerNameIsBuffy

@church_of_dog I was checking FJ one last time before bed and my phone alerted me to a Pokemon in the area.

and there was a Pidgey sitting right on my iPad...probably wanted to see what we were saying about him. ;) 

image.png

image.png

image.png

HerNameIsBuffy

One thing about people knowing what you're doing, my husband and I took a walk through the historic downtown of our suburb which was all lit up with pokes stops with active lures and I was a couple feet in front of him trying t catch one while he was getting another...anyway...and this guy comes riding by on his bike stops briefly and says, "come on guys...put your phones away and talk to each other.  Hold hands.  Enjoy the walk and each other.

Then takes off.  Have never seen him before in my life snd it actually made me feel bad.  Becaus we were having fun, I haven't been excited to go out and play since I was a kid but apparently I was hanging out with my husband wrong.

thing is I don't like to excercise and this is the first time in ...literally since I was little...that I was out running around because it was fun.  And for me almost 17 kilometers in 2 days kind of a big deal.  I know most people do that all the time or whatever but I work my ass off in a sedentary job and this felt good.  I feel less stress mentally, my legs are a good kind of sore...maybe it's stupid that I needed a silly game to make it entertaining enough to get out snd walk but it got me started on the road to what I'm going to turn into a good habit.

anyway just made me feel shitty to have some stranger pass judgement on my relationship but you know what?  I love my husband and not everything has to be a serious deep romantic moment...sometimes it's nice to just play.  I took his picture on the Dr. Seuss bench and demanded to know if the bronze statue of the woman in circa 1890's garb was prettier than me and I wouldn't give him his phone back until he answered.  

hey, Mr. judgement passer wherever you are.  Worry about your own relationships - I got this.

JillyO

Mr. O caught enough Magikarps to evolve into a Gyarados yesterday. I AM SO JEALOUS! But, I'll catch up. I am up to 341 Magikarp candy, so I will get there!

ETA: Aww, @HerNameIsBuffy, don't make some random asshole make you feel bad about having fun playing. The people who do this are the same kind of people who tell random women to smile.

I'm so glad you are having so much fun with this game. My husband and I have been walking around so much playing Pokémon in the past three weeks, it's great. I'm up to over 11,000 steps per day on average (and I only walk about 2,000 in my workday). We've explored parts of the city we'd never walked through before. We even went Pokémon hunting with a group of five friends after a nice dinner on Friday. It sounds like you and your husband are having a great time with this game. Don't let some moody stranger spoil it for you! :)

Edited by JillyO

Destiny

@HerNameIsBuffy tell that asshole to go fuck himself. You are having fun. Mister Buffy is having fun. Tell him to fuck off, and catch something awesome.

.....In case y'all haven't noticed, I hate shit like this.

I know it sounds stupid as hell, because i'm a middle aged woman, but Pokémon Go has helped me out of a funk. I was .... not doing amazingly emotionally, and not getting that job didn't help. Pokemon has been a reason to get out of bed. That guy can go fuck himself, I'm gonna go catch a Voltorb.

@JillyO: So. FUCKING. Jelly. I'm only at like 180/400. I want a Gyrados so bad too!

Blahblah

TeenBlah (age 15) and his mates are hard core gamers. As in glued to screens in their rooms playing Call of Duty and FIFA for hours on end every weekend.

Since this came out, they now talk to each other, meet up, plan complex transport times and routes to  catch buses and trains to different locations, walk kilometres to catch rare pokemons and actually interact in real life. It's amazing and I will happily cough up for extra data usage on the phone plan, and hand over money for bus tickets. 

On Saturday he caught a bus at 7.45am with two friends (yes, teenagers out of bed and on a bus at that hour on a weekend) and came home at 4.00pm having walked over 20km during the day. My only rule is that he calls me every 2 hours to tell me they are safe and let me know where they are. I love this game.

Roux

The other common place for a pokestop where I live is churches.  Being in the deep south, there is a church every 1/2 mile.  As for shutting down pokestops, we just had one shut down by a local landmark because it was in the very narrow median of a busy 4 lane highway. The city was receiving complaints from drivers, so they put in the paperwork. Niantic doesn't always think those things out.  @JillyO I'm beyond jealous.  I'm actively trying to get magikarps, and I'm only at 148. @HerNameIsBuffy, I hear yeah on the vulpix.  I'm never gonna get there. As to the exercise, I've always enjoyed running/walking but haven't been making the time lately.  This game encourages me to make that time, so I think it's great.  And to hopefully make other Fjers jealous, I caught a Hitmonlee and Electabuzz yesterday! 

Destiny
2 hours ago, Roux said:

And to hopefully make other Fjers jealous, I caught a Hitmonlee and Electabuzz yesterday! 

I HATE YOU! I have never even SEEN either of those. :(

JillyO

Nice one, @Roux. I've never seen a Hitmonlee anywhere, either, though I've hatched an Electabuzz.

In other news, I have FINALLY figured out where the Dratinis hatch close to my house. I've seen Dratinis in the "close by" thingy several times before from home, but never knew exactly where they hatched. Well, now I know. So excited! I will get that Dragonite! (LOL, as if)

JillyO

So, funny story: I was just sitting at a bus stop, casually taking over an enemy gym (as one does). A police car stops next to me, and the officer calls out "What are you doing there? Are you all right?" After I assured her that I was just fine and laughingly explained that I was just playing Pokémon, she started laughing too, wished me a good day, and drove on. Apparently furiously tapping away at my phone made me look a little distressed. LOL

SpoonfulOSugar

I'm surprised none of you have noted that Iran has banned the game.

(Totally teasing:  maybe you lot are all so busy playing no one is reading news any more?)

Maggie Mae
Just now, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I'm surprised none of you have noted that Iran has banned the game.

(Totally teasing:  maybe you lot are all so busy playing no one is reading news any more?)

I actually heard that on NPR. They cited "security concerns" although they failed to explain what, exactly the concerns were. 

I find the hand wringing over the game to be laughable. I mean, some people just have to complain about other people having fun. 

Roux

We're at war?  What?  Between FJ and Pokemon I've avoided the real world for a few days.  I do listen to NPR on the way to work, and also heard the Iran thing on NPR.  Not terribly surprised, and doubt they will be the last oppressive regime to do so.  Has anybody else notices that the "Nearby" box now says "Sightings"?  There must have been another update.

Edited by Roux

Shadoewolf

2 of the big cemetaries near me were major sources for Pokestops and rare Pokemon but on this most recent update everything was gone. They were able to opt out. There was a Dragonite yesterday, but it was on a private multi-million dollar estate. They also have 2 of their own Pokestops on the back of the property.

The more people, more Pokemon. Go into a big city during rush hours, tons of them in all varieties. Walk it at night, crickets. Caught my first Lickitung the other day, my first Vulpix yesterday and thanks to an article in the paper, we found a great park nearby so I now have 248 Magikarp candy. Hubby caught 2 Wartortle near his work, I had to earn mine, but he was equally jealous when I caught a 1268 Clefable one night. Its an hour or so every night we spend together.

And in case anyone doesn't already have it, my daughter sent me this RE: Eggs

received_277868299247003.jpeg

drivingmishcrazy

Level 15, team Instinct :D Never played Pokemon before, as popular as it was when I was a kid, but I need the exercise while the weather is still nice. I will say that the parks are more crowded now than I've ever seen them, which is cool. Also because I have a sick sense of humor, I've named some of my Pokemon after fundies.

Roux

I love the fundie naming.  Please share some of them.  As to my sick naming habits, I named my Exeggutor "Breakfast", my strongest Fearow "Lunch", and my strongest Kingler "Dinner".  I've almost got enough to evolve my bellsprouts/weepinbells to a Victreebel, and I know it should be called Audrey, but I'm calling it Seymour.  @Shadoewolf , thanks for that.  I hadn't seen it, and was wondering if the hatching thing was random or had a pattern.

ILoveJellybeans

I am so tempted. I was into Pokémon when I was a kid, I watched the TV show (which I have now gotten the kids into), and I collected the cards and stickers.  I also walk a lot and my other hobby besides cults is finding bugs and photographing them. I even have a list of bugs I have found in my area and am always seeking new ones. It definitely sounds like my thing-and it might teach me how to follow a map, I can get lost while using the Google Maps app on my phone.